"*** Pete the Puggle and the Whispering Waters of Svandammsparken ***"🐾
*** Pete the Puggle and the Whispering Waters of Svandammsparken *** **Chapter One: The Morning of the Great Outing** The sun spilled through the kitchen window like melted honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, knew something magnificent was afoot. My white fur practically vibrated with excitement as Lenny—Dad—rattled the car keys and sang, "Pack your paws, Pete! Today we conquer Svandammsparken!" "Conquer?" Mariya laughed, tucking sandwiches into a wicker basket. "It's a park, not a kingdom, my love." "Every park is a kingdom," Lenny declared with a wink, "if you bring the right imagination." Roman, my older brother and best friend, crouched down and scratched behind my ears. "You hear that, Pete? There's a pond there. Real water. Ducks, boats, everything." My tail, which had been wagging like a metronome, slowed. Water. Deep, dark, unknowable water. I had seen it in my water bowl, safe and small—but a whole pond? My paws felt suddenly cold. Mariya knelt beside me, her eyes soft. "Pete, darling, you don't have to go near the water if you don't want to. The park has meadows, old oak trees, and a little stone bridge. We'll stay together the whole day." "Promise?" I whimpered. "Promise," all three of them said at once, and Roman added, "Cross my heart and hope for treats." The car ride was a ribbon of golden fields and red cottages. I pressed my nose to the window and tried to ignore the small, cold stone of worry sitting in my belly. *It's just water,* I told myself. *But what if it's deeper than my legs? What if it pulls me under like a dark blanket?* I pushed the thought away and focused on Roman's hand resting warm on my back. When we arrived, Svandammsparken opened before us like a storybook page—swans gliding on the glittering pond, willows trailing green fingers into the water, and somewhere, the laughter of other families rising like birdsong. I took a deep breath. Adventure, I reminded myself, always begins with one brave step. **Chapter Two: The Stranger by the Boathouse** We had barely spread our picnic blanket when a peculiar fellow appeared near the old boathouse. He wore a tall blue coat with brass buttons, a feathered hat, and boots that went *clomp, clomp* on the dock planks. "Greetings, travelers!" he boomed. "I am Captain Aldric, keeper of these waters, and this—" he gestured to a stout grey cat at his heel—"is my loyal first mate, Barnaby." "A talking dog!" Barnaby exclaimed, his whiskers twitching. "Well, that settles it, Aldric. The prophecy is afoot." "Prophecy?" Roman's eyes went wide as dinner plates. Captain Aldric lowered his voice. "Beneath this pond sleeps an old shadow—the Gloom, we call it. Every few years it stirs, darkening the water and frightening the swans. Legend says only a small heart with great courage can calm it." He looked straight at me. "Me?" I squeaked. "Captain, I'm afraid of the water. I won't even put one paw in." Aldric smiled gently. "Courage isn't the absence of fear, little one. It's fear that has said its prayers and gone anyway." Lenny chuckled. "That's a good one. Reminds me of the time I was afraid of my mother-in-law's meatloaf—" "Lenny," Mariya said, laughing and nudging him. "Let the man talk." But I was trembling. A shadow in the water? My worst fear had a name now: the Gloom. Roman must have felt me shaking, because he scooped me up and held me against his chest. "You don't have to do anything, Pete. But whatever happens, I've got you. Okay?" "Okay," I whispered, though the pond beyond his shoulder seemed to darken at the edges, as if it were listening. **Chapter Three: The Gloom Rises** It happened at noon, just as Mariya was handing out sandwiches. The pond's surface rippled—not from wind, for the air was still as held breath—and a coil of inky mist rose from the deepest part. The swans cried out and beat their wings toward the far shore. The mist curled into a shape like a great cloak, and a voice rumbled across the water: "Who disturbs my slumber?" "The Gloom!" Barnaby yowled, leaping onto Captain Aldric's shoulder. Families scattered toward the parking lot, and in the chaos—oh, the terrible chaos—someone's picnic basket toppled, a dog barked, and the crowd surged. I was jostled from Roman's arms and carried along by a river of legs. "Roman! Mariya! Lenny!" I barked, but my voice was swallowed by the commotion. When the crowd thinned, I found myself alone at the far end of the park, near the old stone boathouse, with only Barnaby beside me. My family was nowhere in sight. My second great fear—being separated from them—wrapped around my heart like cold vines. "Breathe, pup," Barnaby said, surprisingly gentle. "Panic is a bad navigator. Listen—what do you hear?" I forced myself to stillness. Beneath my whimpering, I heard it: Roman's voice, far across the park, calling, "PETE!" And something else—the Gloom's rumble, growing louder, and the frightened splashing of a duckling trapped against the boathouse pilings, tangled in weeds. "That duckling will be pulled under," Barnaby said grimly. "And the Gloom feeds on fear. The more frightened everyone is, the stronger it grows." I looked at the dark water. Every instinct screamed *run*. But then I heard Captain Aldric's words again: *fear that has said its prayers and gone anyway.* And I heard Roman's voice in my memory: *I've got you.* Even apart, he was with me. "Barnaby," I said, my voice steadier than I felt, "how good are you at untangling weeds?" **Chapter Four: Into the Water** The first paw went in, and the cold shot up my leg like lightning. I yelped. The water was not like my bowl at all—it was alive, moving, tugging at my fur with invisible fingers. *It will swallow me,* the fear whispered. *It will pull me down into the dark where no one will ever find me.* "Talk to me, Pete!" Barnaby called from the dock, clawing at the weeds. "What does it feel like?" "Cold! And—and pushy!" I gasped. And then, because Mariya always says naming a fear shrinks it, I added, "But it's only water. It's only water that doesn't know me yet." I waded deeper, belly-deep now, my legs paddling beneath me—and to my astonishment, I was *floating*. My body knew what to do, as if swimming were an old song I'd forgotten I knew. "Barnaby! I'm swimming! I'm actually swimming!" The duckling peeped frantically, and I paddled to it, pushing against the weeds while Barnaby's claws shredded them from above. With a final tug, the little bird popped free and scrambled onto the dock. "Thank you, thank you!" it peeped. But the Gloom had noticed. The dark mist churned toward us, and its voice rolled like thunder: "A small dog dares defy me?" I was terrified—my fear of the water, my fear of the dark shape, my fear of being alone, all three roaring at once. But I thought of Lenny's silly jokes, Mariya's magic in ordinary things, Roman's steady hand. *They made me. Their love made me. And love is bigger than a shadow.* I paddled to the center of the pond, lifted my head, and barked with everything I had: "You don't scare this park anymore! These are my friends, and this is my family's day!" **Chapter Five: The Dark Beneath the Willows** The Gloom surged, and the pond went black around me. This was my third fear come true: darkness, complete and suffocating. I couldn't see the shore. I couldn't see anything. My paddling faltered. *What did Mariya say once, during the thunderstorm?* I searched my memory. *"Darkness isn't empty, Pete. It's just light resting."* So I stopped fighting to see and started to listen instead. I heard the duckling's mother calling from the reeds. I heard Barnaby shouting directions. And then—oh, sweetest sound in the world—I heard Roman's voice, much closer now, cutting through the gloom: "PETE! I can hear you! Keep barking, buddy! I'm coming!" I barked and barked, each one a lantern in the dark. And something miraculous happened: my courage, spoken aloud, seemed to thin the Gloom. Where my barks rang out, the mist pulled back, as if fear could not survive where a small dog refused to surrender. "Pete!" Captain Aldric's voice boomed from his rowboat, cutting through the dark water, Barnaby perched at the prow like a furry figurehead. "The Gloom is only shadow, lad! It has no teeth but the ones we lend it!" "Then I take my teeth back!" I shouted, and I laughed—actually laughed—paddling in a triumphant circle as the darkness shredded around me like burnt paper. The mist gave one last shudder, shrank to the size of a raincloud, then a puddle, then nothing at all, sinking beneath the pond with a sound like a sigh. Sunlight broke across the water in gold coins. And there, twenty feet away, was Roman, waist-deep in the shallows, arms wide open. **Chapter Six: Found** "PETE!" Roman splashed toward me, and I paddled toward him, and we collided in a tangle of wet fur and boy and laughter and maybe a few tears that neither of us mentioned. "I found you, I found you," he kept saying. "I heard you barking and I just followed the sound. Are you okay? Are you hurt?" "I'm okay," I panted. "Roman, I *swam*. In the deep part. And I faced the Gloom and I was so scared but I did it anyway." "I know," he said, holding my face in his hands. "I saw the whole thing from the shore. Pete, you were the bravest dog in the entire world." Lenny and Mariya came running along the bank, and Mariya actually waded in, shoes and all, to wrap us both in her arms. "My brave boy," she murmured into my fur. "My brave, brave boy." Lenny stood at the water's edge, hands on his hips, eyes shining. "Well," he said, "I guess we know who's the hero of THIS kingdom." Then his voice cracked just a little, and he added softly, "Don't you ever scare us like that again, pup." Captain Aldric rowed up, and Barnaby leaped to the dock with the rescued duckling riding on his back. "The prophecy is fulfilled!" Aldric announced. "The Gloom is calmed, the waters are bright, and Svandammsparken is free!" "Was there really a prophecy?" Roman asked suspiciously. Aldric winked. "There is always a prophecy when a brave heart is nearby. Sometimes we just have to invent it." **Chapter Seven: The Picnic of Heroes** We spread a fresh blanket on the sunny bank—Mariya declared the wet one "a memory, not a seat"—and Captain Aldric and Barnaby joined our picnic as honored guests. The duckling's mother brought her whole fluffy brood to peep their thanks, and even the swans drifted close, white as snowdrifts on the sparkling water. "So," Lenny said, handing me a piece of chicken (heroes get chicken, it's a rule), "tell us everything, Pete. From the beginning." And I did. I told them about the crowd and the terrible moment of being lost, how the fear of separation felt like cold vines around my heart. I told them about the first paw in the water, how the cold felt like lightning, and how naming my fear—"it's only water that doesn't know me yet"—made it shrink. I told them about the dark, and how Mariya's old words about light resting had been my lantern. Mariya's eyes glistened. "You carried us with you, even when we were apart." "That's the thing," I said slowly, working it out as I spoke. "I thought being brave meant not being scared. But I was scared the whole time. Being brave just meant the scared part of me didn't get to drive." Roman nodded thoughtfully. "I was scared too, when I couldn't find you. But I kept moving anyway. I guess that's the same thing." "It is," said Captain Aldric, stroking Barnaby. "Fear is a compass, friends. It points at what matters most. Pete's fears pointed straight at his family, his friends, and a little duckling in trouble. He simply chose to walk toward what mattered instead of away from what frightened him." The afternoon melted into gold. We fed the ducks (the rescued duckling got extra crumbs), Roman and I splashed in the shallows—*me*, splashing in water!—and Lenny told jokes so bad that even the swans seemed to groan. **Chapter Eight: The Long Way Home** As the sun lowered itself toward the treetops like a great orange balloon, we packed up the picnic and said our goodbyes. Captain Aldric pressed a small brass whistle into Roman's hand. "For the hero's family," he said. "Blow it if the waters ever darken again." Barnaby bumped his head against my chin. "You're alright for a dog," he purred, which from a cat is a knighthood. In the car, I curled against Roman, damp-furred and bone-tired, watching Svandammsparken shrink in the rear window. "Pete," Mariya said softly from the front seat, "what will you remember most about today?" I thought about it. "Not the Gloom," I decided. "Not even the scary parts. I'll remember that I was afraid of three things—water, the dark, and losing you all—and today I met all three, and I'm still here. The fears didn't disappear. I just grew bigger than them." "That's my boy," Lenny said, catching my eye in the mirror. "Though I maintain the meatloaf joke was relevant." Roman laughed and pulled me closer. "You know what, Pete? You didn't just save a duckling and a park. You showed me something. Next time I'm scared of something, I'm going to think, 'What would Pete do?'" "You'd bark at it," I said, and the whole car erupted in laughter. That night, curled in my bed with my family safe under one roof, I listened to the quiet dark—and it held no terror at all, because I knew its secret now: darkness is only light resting, water is only a friend you haven't met, and family is a tether that stretches across any distance without ever breaking. Fear may be a compass, but love is the map. And with both in my paws, there is no pond, no shadow, and no lonely moment in this wide, wonderful world that Pete the Puggle cannot face. *** The End ***
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment