Followers Woof Woof :)

Friday, August 28, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Adventure of Rålambshovsparken *** 2026-08-28T13:34:49.244541800

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Adventure of Rålambshovsparken ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Morning of the Big Trip The sun had barely peeked over the rooftops of Stockholm when I, Pete the Puggle, leapt onto Roman's bed with all four paws and my tail spinning like a propeller. "Wake up, wake up, WAKE UP!" I barked, my bright eyes gleaming beneath the playful streaks of makeup Mariya had dabbed on me last night—a little sparkle for a special day. "It's today! Rålambshovsparken! The island of grass and geese and glory!" Roman groaned and pulled the blanket over his head, but I could hear the smile in his voice. "Pete, it's six in the morning. Even the ducks are still asleep." "Ducks don't need sleep! Ducks need ADVENTURE!" I declared, tugging the blanket with my teeth. Downstairs, the kitchen smelled of pancakes and possibility. Lenny stood at the stove flipping golden circles into the air, catching each one with a wink. "Well, look who's up early," he chuckled. "Pete, you've got more energy than a squirrel on espresso." He always said things like that—warm, wise, and just silly enough to make me snort. Mariya was packing the picnic basket, humming a little tune. "I brought extra towels," she said, glancing at me knowingly, "in case someone decides to be brave near the water today." My tail drooped. The water. The big, glittering, terrifying water of Riddarfjärden that stretched beside the park like a giant's mirror. I had seen it once from the car, and my paws had trembled for an hour. "I don't do water," I muttered, pawing at the floor. "Water is for fish. And ducks. And... braver dogs than me." Mariya knelt and scratched behind my ears. "Oh, Pete. You know what I think? I think courage isn't about not being afraid. It's about being afraid and showing up anyway." Her eyes sparkled the way they always did when she saw magic in ordinary things—like pancakes, or puggles, or Saturdays. Roman thundered down the stairs, backpack already on. "Did someone say adventure?" He grinned at me. "Don't worry, little buddy. If the water tries anything funny, it'll have to go through me first." And just like that, with my family around me, the fear shrank—small enough to fit in my pocket, where I could keep an eye on it. ## Chapter Two: Arrival at the Green Kingdom Rålambshovsparken spread before us like a green ocean frozen mid-wave—rolling lawns, ancient trees with arms wide open, and beyond it all, the shimmering water winking at me under the summer sun. Families dotted the grass like sprinkles on a cake, and somewhere a guitar played a lazy, happy tune. I bolted from the car the moment the door opened, my claws skating on the pavement. "FREEDOM! GRASS! SMELLS!" I rolled in a patch of clover, sneezed twice, and rolled again. Lenny laughed, unfolding the picnic blanket with a flourish. "Careful, Pete. You'll wear out your fur before lunch." "Impossible!" I declared. "My fur is premium quality." We settled beneath a great old oak whose leaves whispered secrets to the wind. Mariya unpacked sandwiches while Roman kicked a football in lazy circles. That's when I heard it—a voice, booming and theatrical, rolling across the park like friendly thunder. "HA! If it isn't the finest family in all of Stockholm!" I spun around. There, striding toward us with a silver mustache that curled like two breaking waves and a cape that absolutely no one else in the park was wearing, came Baron Munchausen himself—great old friend of the family, teller of impossible tales, and, according to legend, defeater of at least three moon-monsters. "Baron!" Lenny cried, rising to shake his hand. "We hoped you'd find us!" "Find you? My dear Lenny, I could find you in a snowstorm on the dark side of Jupiter!" The Baron bowed low to Mariya, ruffled Roman's hair, and then dropped to one knee before me. "And Sir Pete! The bravest puggle in the kingdom!" I shuffled my paws. "I'm... not actually that brave, Baron." The Baron's eyes twinkled like distant stars. "Nonsense. Bravery is a seed, young Pete. Today, I suspect, it will sprout." He leaned closer and whispered, "And I've brought reinforcements." From behind his cape bounded a tiny, mighty figure—long-haired, proud-chested, with ears like flags: Timmy, the brave Chihuahua. "Reporting for duty!" Timmy yipped, saluting with one paw. "I heard there might be danger. I packed snacks AND courage." ## Chapter Three: Tales of the Baron and the Whispering Water We gathered on the blanket as the Baron spread his arms wide, his cape catching the breeze like a sail. "Did I ever tell you," he began, "how I once sailed across this very bay on the back of a giant pike? The beast was fifty feet long, with whiskers like anchor chains!" "That didn't happen," Roman said, grinning. "Didn't it?" The Baron raised one eyebrow, and for a moment—just a moment—I swore I saw a fish-shaped shadow glide beneath the surface of the water, far too large to be real. I blinked, and it was gone. Timmy sat beside me, nibbling a biscuit. "The Baron's stories are fifty percent true," he whispered. "The tricky part is you never know which fifty." I stared at the water. It sparkled innocently, but my chest tightened all the same. "Timmy," I said quietly, "are you afraid of anything?" The little Chihuahua puffed out his chest, then deflated slightly. "Thunder," he admitted. "And the vacuum cleaner. And once, a very aggressive pigeon." He looked at me sideways. "Why?" "The water," I confessed. "It moves. It makes noise. It doesn't have edges you can trust. What if it just... swallows me?" Timmy considered this with great seriousness. "Well," he said, "the Baron once told me that fear is just a story we tell ourselves. And you know what the Baron does with stories? He rewrites them." Before I could answer, Mariya called out, "Who wants to walk down to the shore?" My paws glued themselves to the blanket. Roman noticed—he always noticed. He knelt beside me and said softly, "Hey. We don't have to go near it. We can just walk along the path. Together. Deal?" "Together," I repeated, and the word felt like a rope I could hold onto. ## Chapter Four: The First Toe in the Water The shoreline of Rålambshovsparken was gentler than I expected—smooth stones, soft lapping waves, and families laughing as kayaks slid across the bay like waterbugs. Still, my heart hammered like a drum in a marching band. Roman walked beside me, step for step. "You know what I do when I'm scared?" he said. "I name the fear something silly. Makes it smaller." "Like what?" "Like... Gerald." He pointed at the water. "That's not a terrifying bay. That's just Gerald. And Gerald is kind of a goofball." I giggled despite myself. "Gerald," I tested. The water lapped at the stones. *Schloop.* It did sound a little goofy. Timmy marched right up to the water's edge. "Observe!" he announced, dipping one tiny paw in. "Refreshing! Harmless! Gerald-approved!" The Baron appeared behind us, hands folded behind his back. "Young Pete," he said gravely, "when I crossed the Sea of Sorrows on a teapot, I was terrified every second. But do you know what I learned? The water doesn't want to hurt you. It only wants to dance." I took one step forward. Then another. The wet sand squished between my toes—cold, strange, alive. A small wave rolled in and touched my front paws, and I yelped and jumped back. But then... I looked at Roman, who nodded. At Mariya, who smiled. At Lenny, who gave me a thumbs-up and mouthed, *"You've got this."* I stepped forward again. The water wrapped around my paws like a cool handshake. "I'm doing it," I whispered. "I'm actually doing it! GERALD, WE ARE FRIENDS NOW!" The whole family cheered, and somewhere inside me, the Baron's seed of bravery cracked open and sent up its first green shoot. ## Chapter Five: Lost in the Green Maze After our triumph at the shore, Timmy and I chased each other through the park, drunk on courage and sunshine. "Bet you can't catch me!" I barked, darting between trees. "Bet I CAN!" Timmy zipped after me, his long hair flowing behind him like a tiny lion's mane. We ran and ran—past the playground, past the amphitheater, past a hill and another hill—until suddenly I stopped. The trees around me were unfamiliar. The laughter of my family had faded to silence. The afternoon light had turned golden and long, and shadows stretched across the grass like dark fingers. "Timmy?" My voice came out small. "Where... where are we?" Timmy turned in a slow circle. "Hmm. The park has rearranged itself," he said, trying to sound brave. "Parks do that sometimes." But I knew the truth, cold and heavy as a stone in my belly: we were lost. Separated. My worst fear, the one that visited me in dreams where I called and called and no one answered. And then, to make everything worse, the sun slid lower, and the shadows deepened into something very much like darkness. My two greatest fears—being alone and the dark—wrapped around me like icy vines. My legs shook. "I can't do this," I whimpered. "I want my family. I want Roman." Timmy pressed against my side. "Hey. Hey, listen. You're not alone—you've got me. And the Baron always says, 'The night is just the day wearing its thinking cap.' Somewhere out there, your family is looking for you right now. Roman is probably running." I closed my eyes and pictured Roman's face. *Together,* he had said. That rope of a word was still in my paws. I gripped it. "Okay," I breathed. "Okay. We find high ground. We howl. We be brave—afraid, but brave." ## Chapter Six: The Dark Hill and the Howl We climbed the tallest hill we could find as dusk settled over Rålambshovsparken like a purple blanket. The city lights began to twinkle across the water, and the park grew quiet and strange. Every rustle in the bushes made my fur stand on end. "What was THAT?" I squeaked as something rustled nearby. "A hedgehog," Timmy said, peering into the dark. "A small, judgmental hedgehog. False alarm." Then the wind shifted, and I heard it—faint, far away, but unmistakable. "PEEEETE! TIIIIIIMMY!" "ROMAN!" I screamed, leaping in circles. "That's Roman! Timmy, that's ROMAN!" We howled together, long and loud, our voices braiding into one great rope of sound thrown across the darkness. "WEEEE'RE HEEEERE!" But between us and that voice lay a stretch of deep shadow beneath the old trees, black as the inside of a pocket. My paws froze at its edge. The dark pressed against my eyes like cold water. Every nightmare I'd ever had lived in that shadow. Timmy looked up at me. "Pete. Remember Gerald?" "This isn't water," I whispered. "This is the dark." "Same thing," Timmy said firmly. "It's just a story. Rewrite it. The dark isn't a monster—it's a blanket. And Roman is on the other side of it." I thought of Roman running toward us. I thought of Mariya's pancakes and Lenny's silly jokes. I thought: *I am afraid, and I am going anyway.* That, Mariya had said, was courage. "Then let's go," I growled, and together we stepped into the dark—one trembling paw at a time—howling with every step so the shadows knew we weren't hiding from them. ## Chapter Seven: Found! We burst out of the dark trees just as a flashlight beam swept across the hill—and there he was. Roman, running full speed, his face shining with relief and tears. "PETE!" He dropped to his knees and I launched into his arms, licking his face as he laughed and cried at the same time. "You knucklehead! You absolute maniac! I was so scared!" "I was scared too," I admitted, my tail wagging so hard my whole body wobbled. "But Timmy and I were brave. We howled. We walked through the dark. We—" "Young sirs!" The Baron strode up behind Roman, cape billowing, with Lenny and Mariya right behind him. Mariya scooped me up and held me so tight I could feel her heartbeat—fast, then slowing, like a song calming down. "Oh, Pete," she whispered into my fur. "My brave, brave boy." Lenny scratched Timmy's ears and wiped his eyes, pretending it was the wind. "You two gave us quite a scare," he said gently. "But you did exactly the right thing—you stayed together, got to high ground, and made noise. That's not just brave. That's *smart.*" The Baron knelt before us, and his voice was softer than I'd ever heard it. "Do you know," he said, "of all my adventures—the moon, the sea monsters, the teapot voyage—none of them taught me what you two learned tonight. You faced the water, the dark, and being lost. Three dragons in one day." He placed a hand on his heart. "I salute you." Timmy stood tall, grass stuck in his fur, and said, "We accept your salute. Also, do you have any biscuits left?" Everyone laughed, and the sound rose into the night like a flock of bright birds. ## Chapter Eight: The Lessons of the Day We walked back through the park together, Roman carrying me when my tired paws gave out, the city lights glittering on the water—on Gerald—like scattered stars. We settled on the blanket one last time, sharing the last sandwiches and the day's stories. "So," Lenny said, stretching out with a contented sigh, "what did we learn today? Besides the fact that Pete can outrun a Chihuahua?" "Barely," Timmy muttered, and everyone chuckled. I thought hard, watching the moon rise over the bay. "I learned that being scared doesn't mean I'm weak," I said slowly. "It means I'm about to do something important. The water was Gerald. The dark was a blanket. And being lost... was just being on the way to being found." Mariya smiled, her eyes shining. "That's the truest magic I've heard all year." Roman pulled me close. "And I learned that you don't have to be fearless to be a hero. You just have to keep walking toward the people you love." The Baron stood, spread his cape, and declared, "And *I* learned that the greatest adventures aren't the ones we tell—they're the ones we live. Though I maintain the pike was fifty feet long." As we drove home, I curled between Roman and Timmy, warm and safe and utterly spent. Out the window, the water shimmered, friendly and familiar. I had been afraid of the water, the dark, and being alone—and I had met all three, trembling, and walked through them anyway. My fears hadn't vanished. They had transformed, like caterpillars, into something with wings: courage, trust, and the unshakable knowledge that my family would always, always come looking for me. Because that's what love does. It finds you, even in the dark. *Especially* in the dark. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Splashing Stars of Keith's Pet Care *** 2026-09-30T13:16:22.484619100

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Splashing Stars of Keith's Pet Care ***"🐾 ...