Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, August 29, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Tantolunden Adventure *** 2026-08-29T08:52:36.304859200

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Tantolunden Adventure ***"🐾

**Chapter 1: The Morning of the Great Journey** The sun poured through the kitchen window like warm honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, woke with my tail already wagging. Something was different today. I could smell it in the air—excitement, the way you can smell rain before it falls. My white velvety fur practically tingled with it. "Pete! Pete, wake up, sleepyhead!" Roman's voice boomed down the hallway, and my older brother's footsteps thundered like a friendly drum. "We're going to Tantolunden today! The big park by the water!" I scrambled off my cushion, my claws skittering on the wooden floor. "The water?" I yipped, my ears perking up and then drooping just a little. "Like... deep water? The kind that swallows paws?" Roman knelt down and scratched behind my ears, right in the spot that makes my back leg thump. "Don't worry, little buddy. The water's just there. You don't have to go in it." But his eyes twinkled in that way that meant he was already imagining splashing. From the kitchen came Mom's voice—Mariya, my gentle, curious mom who could find magic in a dust mote dancing in a sunbeam. "Lenny, did you pack the sandwiches? And the blanket? And Pete's favorite ball?" "Packed, packed, and packed," Dad answered, appearing in the doorway with his big warm smile. Lenny was the kind of dad whose hugs felt like being wrapped in a lighthouse beam—safe and glowing. "Pete, my boy, are you ready for the grandest adventure Stockholm has to offer? A park with hills, gardens, water, and more smells than a dog could dream of in ten lifetimes?" I barked twice, spinning in a circle. "More smells than dreams? Dad, you always know just what to say!" But deep in my chest, a small knot of worry sat like a stone. Water. I had never told the family how much the dark lake at the edge of our walks frightened me—how it seemed to whisper and move like a living thing. I pushed the thought down and wagged harder. Today was a happy day. Today, I would be brave. Or at least, I would pretend to be. **Chapter 2: Arrival at Tantolunden and a Prickly New Friend** The moment we stepped into Tantolunden, my nose exploded with joy. The park stretched before us like a green ocean—rolling lawns, allotment gardens bursting with flowers in tiny painted cottages, tall trees whispering secrets to each other, and beyond it all, the glittering expanse of Årstaviken, the great bay, shimmering like a thousand scattered diamonds. "Look at the little garden cottages, Pete!" Mom breathed, crouching beside me. "Each one is somebody's tiny dream house. Isn't that wonderful? People growing tomatoes and roses side by side." "It smells like strawberries and fresh bread and... wait." I froze. My hackles rose. There was a new smell—sharp, spicy, challenging. Dog. From behind a rose bush shot a small, muscular Jack Russell Terrier, white with brown patches, his eyes blazing like twin sparks. "Oi! This is MY hill!" he barked, planting himself directly in my path. "I've been coming to Tantolunden every week for two years, and I've never seen your fluffy white face before! State your business!" I puffed out my chest, trying to look bigger than a puggle has any right to look. "My business is adventure! And my name is Pete, and I don't see your name written on this hill!" "It's written in paw prints, invisible to tourists!" the terrier snapped, circling me. "I'm Kirusha, and I don't share my park with strangers who have makeup on their eyes!" "It's not makeup—well, it is a little, but it's STYLISH!" I barked back. We stood nose to nose, growling, two tiny thunderclouds about to collide. Roman laughed and gently pulled me back. "Easy, Pete. Kirusha, is it? Nice to meet you." He held out his hand, and Kirusha sniffed it suspiciously before giving one curt nod of his head. "Hmph. Your human seems polite," Kirusha admitted grudgingly. "But I'm watching you, Puggle. One wrong move on my hill—" "Your hill! YOUR hill!" I yapped, but Dad's calm voice washed over us like cool water. "Boys, boys. The park is big enough for a hundred dogs and their hundred arguments. Come along, Pete. Let's find our picnic spot." I trotted after the family, glancing back to see Kirusha watching us, his tail stiff as a flagpole. Something told me this wasn't the last I'd see of him. **Chapter 3: The Water's Edge and an Old Fear** We settled on a sloping lawn near the water, and Mom spread the blanket like she was laying out a magic carpet. Dad produced sandwiches with the flourish of a wizard revealing treasure, and Roman immediately kicked off his shoes and ran toward the shore. "Come on, Pete! The water's perfect!" I followed him to the edge of the bay—and there my paws rooted themselves to the pebbles as if they'd grown into the earth. The water stretched out before me, vast and dark and breathing. Small waves lapped at the shore with soft, patient tongues, and to everyone else it must have looked gentle. But to me, it was a giant. A living, glimmering giant that could reach out and pull a small dog down into its cold, lightless belly. My heart hammered. My mouth went dry. *What if it's deep right away? What if the bottom drops out? What if something grabs me?* "Pete?" Roman turned, water swirling around his ankles. "You coming?" "I... I'm just... admiring the view from here," I stammered, backing up a step. "Very nice water. Best viewed from a distance. Scientifically proven." Roman waded back, water dripping from his rolled-up jeans, and sat beside me on the pebbles. He didn't laugh. He never laughed at my fears—that's what made him my best friend. "Hey. You're scared of it, aren't you? The water." I stared at my paws. My voice came out small. "Ever since I was a tiny pup. I fell in a puddle once—a deep one—and for a second I couldn't feel the bottom. Ever since then, water feels like it's... waiting for me." Roman was quiet for a moment, watching the sunlight dance on the waves. "You know what I think? I think the water isn't waiting to swallow you. I think it's waiting to hold you up. That's what water does—it carries things. Boats, sticks, leaves... and brave little puggles." He bumped my shoulder with his. "No rush. But when you're ready, I'll be right there. I promise." Behind us, Dad called out, "Who wants the first sandwich?" and the moment softened into the ordinary warmth of lunch. But as I munched my chicken sandwich, I kept glancing at the water. It glimmered back at me, patient as a riddle. And I wondered—not for the first time—if the thing I feared most might one day become the thing that made me strong. **Chapter 4: Kirusha's Challenge and the Chase into the Unknown** After lunch, I was chasing my ball across the grass when it bounced—once, twice—and rolled straight into the paws of none other than Kirusha. "Looking for this, Makeup-Face?" he sneered, pinning the ball under one paw. "It's PETE, and yes, hand it over, Hill-Hog!" "Come and take it!" Kirusha snatched the ball in his jaws and bolted. I tore after him, barking, and the chase was on. We flew across the lawns, past the garden cottages, around startled pigeons, my legs pumping like little pistons. Kirusha was fast—frustratingly fast—but I had puggle determination, which is a force of nature. We skidded around a corner of tall hedges and crashed—literally crashed—into two animals lounging in the shade of an oak tree: a gray-and-white cat with clever green eyes, and beside him, impossibly, a small brown mouse nibbling a crumb of cheese. "Ow! Watch it, furball!" the cat yelped, then blinked at us. "Well, well. New faces. I'm Tom, and this little menace is Jerry." "Charmed," Jerry squeaked, tipping an imaginary hat. "You two look like you're either racing or escaping something." "Racing!" Kirusha and I barked at the same time, then glared at each other for agreeing. It was Tom who first raised his head and sniffed the air. "Hmm. Say... which way is the big lawn with all the picnickers? I don't recognize this part of the park." We all looked around. The hedges rose tall on every side. The trees here were older, darker, their branches knitting together overhead like clasped fingers. The distant laughter of the park had faded to a murmur. My stomach dropped like a stone down a well. "We... we ran a long way," I whispered. The ball rolled from Kirusha's slack jaws. "I can't hear Roman. I can't smell the blanket. I can't—" My voice cracked. My worst fear, the secret one even bigger than water: being lost. Being separated from my family. The world suddenly felt enormous, and I felt like a crumb in it. Kirusha's bravado flickered. "Fine. FINE. This is your fault, Puggle. But don't you dare cry. We'll find our way back. Together. Temporarily. As enemies." He paused. "Enemies who walk in the same direction." **Chapter 5: The Dark Woods and the Trembling Hour** We walked. And walked. The afternoon light began to lean and lengthen, turning gold, then amber. The hedges gave way to a thick stand of old trees near the park's wilder edge, and shadows pooled between the trunks like spilled ink. "We should stay in the open," I said, my voice thin. "The open is a maze of identical lawns," Tom said practically, leaping onto a log. "The shortcut through the trees leads toward the water. Water means the shore, the shore means people. It's logical." "Logic is cold comfort when it's... dark," I whispered. But we went in. Inside the woods, my fear of the dark came alive like a second heartbeat. Every shadow had a shape. Every rustle had teeth. I imagined glowing eyes between the roots, long arms of branches reaching for my tail. My breathing turned shallow and quick. *I can't do this. I'm just a little dog. I'm just a little dog with makeup streaks and a family who's probably so worried—* "Hey." Jerry's small voice piped up beside my ear. He had climbed onto my back, light as a thought. "You know what I do when I'm scared of the dark? I'm a mouse, Pete. Everything is dark and everything is huge, my whole life. So I tell myself: the dark isn't empty. It's just full of things I haven't said hello to yet." I blinked. "Hello... tree?" I tried weakly. "There you go!" Jerry giggled. "Hello, rock. Hello, spooky shadow that is definitely just a bush." Kirusha, marching ahead, snorted. "Ridiculous. ...Hello, terrifying stump," he added under his breath, and despite everything, I laughed. A real laugh. And something miraculous happened: the laugh pushed the dark back, just a little. Like a candle doesn't destroy the night but carves out a small warm room inside it. Then—a sound. A real one. A low growl from the underbrush, and the gleam of two yellow eyes. A large stray dog, ragged and hungry-looking, stepped onto the path, blocking our way. "Well," it rumbled. "What do we have here?" My legs turned to jelly. But then I felt Kirusha press against my left side, Tom leap down to my right with his fur bristling, and Jerry stand up tall on my head. And I understood, with a flash like lightning: courage isn't the absence of fear. Courage is being terrified—and standing your ground anyway, because your friends are standing with you. **Chapter 6: The Bravest Bark** The stray towered over us, teeth bared. "This is my territory. Give me whatever food you have, or—" "OR NOTHING!" I barked, and my voice came out bigger than I felt. I stepped forward, my whole body trembling like a leaf in a storm, but my paws planted. "We don't have food, and we don't have time, because my family is looking for me, and my brother Roman is the best finder in the whole world, and you should know—" my voice rose, "—that I am PETE THE PUGGLE, and I have faced the dark woods, and I am DONE being afraid of things!" "And I'm Kirusha, and I've been WAITING for a proper fight all day!" Kirusha snarled, crouching low. "And I'm Tom, and I have ten claws and zero patience," said the cat. "And I'm Jerry!" squeaked the mouse, standing on my head with his tiny fists up. "And I'm the scariest of all!" The stray blinked. He looked at the four of us—ridiculous, trembling, unmovable—and something shifted in his yellow eyes. Slowly, he sat back on his haunches. "...You're all completely mad," he muttered. "I haven't eaten in two days, and I get defeated by a mouse standing on a dog with painted eyebrows." My heart melted, the way it always does. "Wait—you're just hungry? Friend, why didn't you say so?" I nosed open the little pouch Roman had clipped to my collar that morning—my emergency treats. I pushed half of them toward the stray with my nose. "Here. Being hungry makes everyone scary. My dad says hunger and tiredness are the two great villains of the world." The stray stared at the treats, then at me, then slowly ate. When he finished, he bowed his great shaggy head. "The shore path is past the fallen birch, then left. Follow the sound of the gulls." He paused. "Thank you, little one. No one has shared with me in a long time." "Everyone deserves a sandwich," I said softly, quoting Dad, "and a second chance." As we hurried on, Kirusha trotted up beside me. "That was... not completely terrible, what you did back there. For a puggle." "Coming from you, Kirusha, that's practically a love poem," I said, and for the first time, we both laughed—really laughed—together. **Chapter 7: Into the Water — The Leap of a Lifetime** We burst out of the trees onto the rocky shore of the bay—and there, across a stretch of water, on the far curve of the beach, I saw them. Tiny figures. And I heard it, carried over the waves: "PEEEETE!" "ROMAN!" I screamed, dancing on the pebbles. "We're HERE!" But between us and the family lay the water—a broad inlet, too far around by land, the path blocked by fallen rocks. Roman was wading in already from the other side, calling, but the water between us was deep, dark, and moving. My old enemy. My oldest fear, spread out before me like a final exam written in waves. Tom shook his head. "Cats do not swim. Jerry and I will go around the long way and meet you." He touched his nose to mine. "You can do this, Pete." Kirusha plunged in without hesitation, paddling strongly. "Come on, Puggle! It's just water! It's only scary until you're in it!" I stood at the edge. The water touched my toes—cold, alive. My whole body screamed to run. Every frightening image flooded back: the deep puddle, the no-bottom, the dark swallowing wet. My breath came in panicked little puffs. Then I heard Roman's voice across the water, steady as a lighthouse: "The water doesn't swallow you, Pete! It carries you! Remember? Boats! Sticks! Brave little puggles! I'm right here!" I thought of the dark woods. I thought of Jerry's voice: *the dark is just full of things you haven't said hello to yet.* I thought of the stray dog and how fear had made him frightening, and how kindness had unmade the monster. Maybe the water was the same—not a monster at all, just something I had never said hello to. "Hello, water," I whispered. "My name is Pete. Please carry me." And I jumped. The cold shocked me, wrapped me, roared in my ears—and then, miracle of miracles, my legs began to paddle all on their own, ancient and knowing. My body bobbed UP, not down. The water held me like cupped hands. I was swimming. I, Pete the Puggle, was SWIMMING! "I'M DOING IT!" I howled between splashes. "KIRUSHA! I'M DOING IT!" "OF COURSE YOU ARE, YOU RIDICULOUS, WONDERFUL DOG!" Kirusha barked, paddling beside me, and Roman's arms were suddenly there, scooping me up as I reached the shallows, and he was laughing and crying at the same time, and I was licking his face, and the water wasn't a monster at all—it had been a bridge all along. **Chapter 8: The Reunion and the Lessons of Tantolunden** "PETE!" Mom reached us first, wrapping me in the picnic blanket and pulling me into her arms, and then Dad was there with his lighthouse warmth, and I was passed from hug to hug like the world's most precious parcel. Tom and Jerry arrived around the rocks, and Roman introduced everyone, and the family, being my family, welcomed a cat, a mouse, and a scruffy Jack Russell as naturally as breathing. "You swam," Roman said, kneeling in front of me, his eyes shining. "Pete, you actually swam. How does it feel?" I thought about it, water dripping from my ears. "It feels like... the fear was a door, Roman. And on the other side of the door was just... more world. More me." Dad sat down on the pebbles beside us. "You know, Pete, I was worried sick today. But I also knew something." He tapped my wet nose gently. "Brave isn't a size. It's a direction. You kept walking toward the things that scared you—that's all courage ever is." Mom stroked my damp fur and smiled her magical smile. "And you made friends in the strangest places. Even you two—" she looked at me and Kirusha—"who started the day as sworn enemies." Kirusha shuffled his paws, suddenly bashful. "He's... not the worst dog I've ever met. He's actually—" he sighed dramatically, "—my best friend. There. I said it. Don't make it weird, Puggle." "Too late, it's already wonderfully weird," I said, and butted my head against his. As the sun lowered over Årstaviken, painting the water in rose and gold, we all sat together—family and new friends—sharing the last sandwiches. Roman summed it up best: "Today Pete got lost, faced the dark, stood up to a scary stranger with kindness, and learned to swim. And what did we learn?" "That fear shrinks when you say hello to it," I said. "That friends can come from anywhere—even from enemies," said Kirusha. "That family always comes looking," said Roman, pulling me close. "And that the world," Mom whispered, watching the light on the water, "is always bigger and kinder than our fears tell us it is." I curled up between Roman and Kirusha, tired to my bones and happy past describing, and decided that Tantolunden was my favorite place in the entire world—because it was the place where I finally met the bravest version of myself. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Whispering Garden Adventure *** 2026-09-27T23:41:29.067137700

"*** The Whispering Garden Adventure ***"🐾 ...