Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Shimmering Waters of Ängbybadet *** 2026-08-26T20:42:23.736701500

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Shimmering Waters of Ängbybadet ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Morning of the Great Adventure The sun had barely stretched its golden fingers over the rooftops of Stockholm when I, Pete the Puggle, leapt onto Roman's bed with all the grace of a bouncing tennis ball. "Wake up, wake up, wake UP!" I barked, my tail wagging so hard it thumped the pillow like a drum. "Dad promised! Today is the day! Ängbybadet!" Roman groaned and pulled the blanket over his head, but I could see his smile peeking out from underneath. "Pete, it's seven in the morning," he mumbled. "Even the seagulls are still asleep." "Seagulls don't have adventures waiting for them!" I declared, tugging the blanket with my teeth. "Come on, best friend! The lake is calling!" Downstairs, the kitchen smelled like heaven had opened a bakery. Lenny—Dad—stood at the stove flipping pancakes, each one golden and round like little edible suns. Mariya—Mom—was packing a basket with sandwiches, juice boxes, and, I noted with great approval, a generous bag of dog treats. "Good morning, my little explorer," Mom said, scratching behind my ears in that perfect spot that made my back leg thump the floor. "Are you ready for your first trip to the beach?" "Ready!" I barked. But then a small, cold thought crept into my mind like a shadow slipping under a door. *The beach. That means... water. Deep water. Dark water.* My tail slowed its wagging. I pushed the thought away quickly. I was Pete the Puggle, adventurer extraordinaire! I wasn't afraid of anything! Dad slid a small pancake onto my plate (yes, I have my own plate—I'm family, after all) and winked. "You know, Pete," he said, "Ängbybadet sits right on Lake Mälaren. Beautiful place. Sandy beach, big grassy hill, and water so clear you can see your own paws wiggling at the bottom." He paused and looked at me with those warm, knowing eyes. "But you don't have to go in the water if you don't want to. Adventure isn't about doing everything—it's about discovering what you're ready for." "I'm ready for everything," I said, though my voice came out smaller than I intended. Roman, now stumbling into the kitchen with his hair sticking up like a startled hedgehog, ruffled my head. "That's my pup," he said. "We'll take it one paw at a time." As we loaded into the car, the morning air sweet with the scent of summer grass, I pressed my nose against the window and watched the world blur by. Mom hummed an old song. Dad told a joke about a fish who walked into a bar—"Water you doing here?"—and Roman laughed so hard he snorted. And me? I tried to ignore the tiny drumbeat of worry in my chest, the one that whispered, *What if the water is too big? What if it's too deep? What if... everything?* ## Chapter Two: Arrival at the Shimmering Shore Ängbybadet was more beautiful than any dream I had ever dreamed with my nose tucked under my paws. The beach stretched out like a golden ribbon along the edge of Lake Mälaren, and the water—oh, the water!—glittered under the sun as if a million tiny diamonds had been scattered across its surface. Green trees stood tall and proud around the grassy slopes, and the air smelled of pine, sunscreen, and grilling sausages from somewhere far away. "Last one to the sand is a soggy herring!" Roman shouted, bolting from the car. I raced after him, my white fur flashing in the sunlight, my ears flapping like tiny wings. For a glorious moment, there was no fear—only wind, speed, and the joyful thudding of my paws on warm earth. We claimed a spot on the grass near the shore, and Mom spread out our big striped blanket while Dad wrestled with the beach umbrella, which seemed determined to fly away to Finland. "This umbrella," Dad grunted, "has the soul of a kite and the manners of a raccoon." Mom laughed and helped him anchor it down, and soon our little camp looked like home. Roman kicked off his shoes and ran straight for the water, splashing in up to his knees. "Pete! Come on! It's perfect!" he called, waving his arms. I trotted to the edge of the sand where the tiny waves lapped at the shore. *Lap, lap, lap,* they went, like the tongues of a thousand invisible dogs. I stretched out one paw. The water touched my pad—cold, alive, pulling. And suddenly the lake wasn't a lake anymore. In my mind it became an enormous, breathing creature, its glittering surface hiding dark depths where anything could be waiting. My legs turned to jelly. My ears flattened. I scrambled backward so fast I tumbled onto my bottom in the sand. "Pete?" Roman waded back, water dripping from his shorts. "Hey, hey, it's okay." He knelt beside me and put his hand on my trembling back. "It's just water. It won't hurt you." "You don't know that," I whimpered. "It's so... big. And it moves. And I can't see the bottom out there. What if it swallows me whole like a giant blue whale?" Roman sat down in the sand beside me, not laughing, not teasing—just sitting, the way a best friend does. "You know what?" he said quietly. "The first time I went into deep water, I was scared too. I was six, and I cried so hard Dad had to carry me back to the blanket." He grinned. "It's true. Ask him." "Roman," I said, sniffing, "you're the bravest person I know." "Nah," he said, picking up a smooth stone and skipping it across the water. "I'm just someone who learned that being brave doesn't mean you're not scared. It means you're scared and you try anyway—one tiny step at a time." He looked at me with those warm brown eyes. "And I'll be right beside you for every step. Promise." ## Chapter Three: The Baron and the Cosmic Dog We were eating lunch—Dad was mid-bite into a sandwich and mid-sentence into a story about his own childhood swimming lessons—when the air beside our blanket began to shimmer like heat rising off summer pavement. The shimmer twisted, sparkled, and with a sound like a cork popping from a bottle of celebration, a tall figure appeared wearing a magnificent old-fashioned coat, a feathered hat, and a mustache that curled like two question marks having a conversation. "BARON MUNCHAUSEN!" I barked, leaping up with joy. "At your service, young Peter!" the Baron boomed, sweeping off his hat in a bow so deep his nose nearly touched the grass. "I heard through the whispering winds that the finest family in all of Sweden was having a beach day, and I simply could not resist." He turned to Dad. "Leonid, my friend, you look younger every time I see you. What is your secret?" "Chaos and pancake batter," Dad said, shaking the Baron's hand warmly. "Good to see you, old friend." Mom smiled. "Baron, will you stay for lunch? We have plenty." "Alas, dear Mariya, I have already dined today—on the moon, with a cheese merchant of impeccable taste." He winked at Roman. "The moon, as you know, is made of cheese. This is simply a fact that science has not yet been brave enough to confirm." Roman grinned. "Baron, tell us a story while we eat!" "All in good time," the Baron said mysteriously. "For I sense we shall need more than stories today." He glanced at the lake, and for just a moment, his twinkling eyes grew serious. Then the air shimmered again—but this time it shimmered silver, like starlight poured into a bowl. And there, standing on the sand as if she had always been there, was a dog unlike any I had ever seen. Her fur glowed faintly, as though she had been brushed with moonlight, and her eyes held the depth of the entire night sky. "Laika," I whispered, my heart swelling. "Hello, little Pete," she said, and her voice sounded like it had traveled across galaxies just to reach me. "I felt a tremor in the fabric of today—a thread of fear, and a thread of danger. So I came." She touched her nose to mine, and it was cool and electric, like touching a star. "Do not worry. Whatever today brings, you will not face it alone." "Two legendary guests in one afternoon!" Dad declared, raising his juice box. "This is officially the best beach day in the history of beach days, and I've been to a lot of beaches. One time I went to a beach so sandy—" "Dad," Roman laughed, "please don't." "—it was called the Sahara!" Dad finished triumphantly. Even Laika's cosmic eyes crinkled with amusement. And for a while, everything was laughter and sandwiches and the Baron's tales of riding cannonballs across the Baltic Sea. But Laika's ears stayed pricked toward the water, and I noticed the Baron's gaze drifting again and again to the dark line of trees at the far end of the beach, where the shadows seemed just a little too deep for a sunny day. ## Chapter Four: The Whispering Woods After lunch, Roman and I decided to explore the rocky path that wound along the shore toward the northern end of the beach. The Baron and Laika accompanied us, the Baron telling a story about the time he outran a storm on horseback, and Laika walking silently, her paws seeming to float just above the ground. "We'll stay where we can see the blanket," Roman called back to Mom and Dad, who waved from beneath the umbrella. But paths have a way of being more interesting than plans. We found a tide pool full of tiny darting fish. Then a fallen log covered in emerald moss. Then a trail of peculiar footprints—webbed, but enormous, like a duck the size of a bicycle. "Baron," I said, sniffing the tracks, "what made these?" The Baron stroked his mustache. "Ah. I had hoped I was wrong. Young friends, those are the tracks of a Mälaren Gloom—a creature of shadow and cold that feeds on fear itself. They are drawn to places where hearts are heavy with worry." He looked at me gently. "I suspect, dear Pete, that it caught the scent of your fear of the water and followed it here, the way a shark follows the scent of—well, let us not use that comparison." "Is it dangerous?" Roman asked, stepping protectively in front of me. "Only if it catches you alone," Laika said quietly. "The Gloom cannot harm a heart that is full of courage and love. But a frightened, lonely heart—it wraps that heart in darkness and whispers that no one is coming to help." We should have turned back right then. I know that now. But at that moment, a strange fog began rolling off the lake—thick, gray, and unnaturally fast, swallowing the shore behind us like a curtain closing on a stage. "Back to the family, quickly!" the Baron commanded. We ran—but the fog twisted the world. The beach vanished. The sounds of laughter and splashing faded to nothing. And when the fog finally thinned, we stood at the edge of a dark grove of ancient pines, and I could no longer see the striped blanket, the umbrella, or my mom and dad anywhere. "Mom?" I called, my voice cracking. "DAD?" Only echo answered. My family was gone, and the shadows between the trees were growing longer, deeper, hungrier. And somewhere in the darkness, something enormous shifted its weight, and two pale eyes opened like cold moons. ## Chapter Five: The Gloom and the Dark The Mälaren Gloom rose from the shadows like a nightmare learning to stand. It was vast and shapeless, woven from darkness and mist, with those two pale eyes floating where a face should be. When it spoke, its voice was the sound of cold water closing over your head. "Little dog," it whispered, "I can smell your fear. It is delicious. Fear of the water. Fear of the dark." Its shadowy tendrils curled toward me. "And oh—what is this? The sweetest fear of all. Fear of being alone. Fear that your family will never find you. That you will wander in the dark forever, calling and calling, and no one will answer." My whole body shook like a leaf in a storm. Because it was true. Every word. The dark grove pressed in around me, and suddenly I was small—smaller than I had ever felt—a tiny white speck in an ocean of black. "Stay behind me, Pete!" Roman shouted, but the Gloom exhaled a wave of darkness that swept between us like a black river, and suddenly I couldn't see my brother at all. "ROMAN!" I screamed. Nothing. The dark was complete, absolute, a blindfold made of midnight. My worst fear had me in its jaws. And then, through the darkness, came a voice—calm, ancient, and bright as a distant constellation. "Pete. Listen to me." It was Laika. "I was once sent into the darkness of space, alone, farther from home than any creature had ever been. I know what the dark whispers. It whispers that you are abandoned. It is lying. The dark always lies." "I can't see anything!" I cried. "Then do not look with your eyes," she said. "Look with your heart. Your family is out there. Roman is out there. Love does not disappear just because the light does. Close your eyes, little one, and breathe. In... and out. The dark is only the light, resting." I closed my eyes. I breathed. In... and out. And something miraculous happened: inside my chest, where the fear had been a cold stone, a small warm glow began to kindle. I thought of Dad's silly jokes. Mom's perfect ear scratches. Roman's hand on my back saying *one tiny step at a time.* The glow grew brighter and brighter until I realized—I was not afraid of the dark anymore. The dark was just a place where my love for my family shone brighter. "NO!" the Gloom howled, recoiling. "Stop that! Stop being BRAVE!" "Now, Baron!" Laika barked, and her silver fur blazed like a supernova. The Baron Munchausen drew a gleaming rapier that hummed with starlight. "You picked the wrong family, my shadowy friend!" he declared. "I once wrestled a thunderstorm and made it apologize!" ## Chapter Six: The Battle and the Lake The battle was like nothing I had ever seen—and I have seen Roman try to assemble IKEA furniture. Laika moved through the air like a shooting star, her paws tearing holes in the fabric of time itself, and through those shimmering rifts poured pure, brilliant starlight that burned the Gloom's tendrils away like morning sun burning off fog. The Baron fought with his rapier and his wits, and whenever the Gloom grew too large, he told it a story so astonishing that the creature paused in disbelief—and in that pause, Laika struck. "You think darkness is strong?" the Baron laughed, ducking a swipe of shadow. "I once spent a whole winter inside a whale, and it was darker in there than your entire soul, and I still organized a chess tournament!" But the Gloom was cunning. Seeing it could not defeat my friends, it turned its full whispering power on me. "Even if you survive," it hissed, coiling around me like smoke, "you are still afraid of the water. You will always be afraid. You will always be the little dog who ran away from the waves." And then it did something terrible. With a great heave of shadow, it flung me—through the air, over the rocks—straight into the deep, dark water of Lake Mälaren. The cold hit me like a thousand icy needles. The lake closed over my head, and for one heartbeat of pure terror, I was sinking, surrounded by black-green depths, my worst nightmare come true. *This is it,* my panic screamed. *The water has you.* But then—Laika's voice, from the battle: "The dark always lies!" And Roman's voice, from memory: *"Being brave means you're scared and you try anyway."* And Dad's voice: *"Adventure is discovering what you're ready for."* I stopped thrashing. I breathed out slowly, the way Laika had taught me. And I remembered something every dog knows in his bones: I paddled. One paw, then another. My body, wiser than my fear, rose toward the light. My head broke the surface, and I gasped the sweetest air of my life—and then I was swimming. Me! Pete the Puggle! Swimming in Lake Mälaren! The water wasn't a monster at all. It was just... water. Cool and holding me up like a thousand gentle hands. "HE'S SWIMMING!" I heard Roman bellow from the shore—he had broken free of the darkness and was sprinting along the rocks. "THAT'S MY PUP!" The Gloom gave one last shriek of despair, for it had nothing left to feed on. Laika blazed like a falling star and vaporized its cold heart with a single beam of cosmic light, and the Baron swept the last tatters of shadow away with his hat. "And stay gone!" he declared. "Tell the other nightmares the Baron sends his regards!" ## Chapter Seven: Found I paddled toward the shore, my legs churning like furry little propellers, and Roman waded in to meet me, scooped me up, and hugged me so tight I could feel his heart hammering against mine. "I lost you," he said, his voice thick. "In the fog, I lost you, and I—Pete, I was so scared. I ran along the whole shore shouting your name." "I was scared too," I admitted, dripping all over his shirt. "The dark was bigger than anything, Roman. It knew all my fears. It said them out loud." "How did you beat it?" he asked, holding me at arm's length, searching my eyes. I thought about it. "I didn't beat it alone. Laika taught me to breathe. You taught me that scared and brave can live in the same heart. And then the lake threw me into the water—or the Gloom did—and I just... remembered everything everyone ever told me, all at once, like all your voices were a rope I could climb." I wagged my soggy tail. "Also, dog paddling is literally named after us. I don't know why I was so worried." Roman burst out laughing, a big wet laugh with a sob hiding inside it. "Come on," he said, hoisting me onto his shoulders like a conquering hero. "Mom and Dad are looking for us too. Let's go home." We followed the curve of the shore, the Baron striding ahead with his feathered hat held high like a banner, Laika trotting beside us with her silver glow lighting the path through the last wisps of fog. And then, through the thinning mist, I heard the two most beautiful sounds in the world: Dad's voice bellowing "PEEEETE! ROOOOMAN!" and Mom's voice calling "Boys! Where are you?!" "THERE!" Roman shouted. "MOM! DAD! WE'RE HERE!" They came running down the beach—Dad's sandals flying off, Mom's scarf streaming behind her like a flag—and the four of us collided in a tangle of arms and paws and tears and laughter, right there at the edge of the glittering lake, while the sun broke through the last of the fog as if it had been waiting for exactly this moment to shine. ## Chapter Eight: Reflections on Golden Water We sat together on the striped blanket as the afternoon mellowed into gold, wrapped in towels, sharing warm cocoa that the Baron had conjured from his coat pocket ("A recipe I learned from a polar bear of exceptional refinement"). Mom held me in her lap, and I could feel her heartbeat, steady and sure, like a drum that had been playing my whole life. "I was so worried," Mom said softly, kissing the top of my head. "But the Baron found us in the fog and told us you were safe, and that you were learning something important." "Pete swam," Roman announced proudly. "All by himself. In the deep part." Dad's eyes went wide as pancakes. "Our Pete? The pup who once refused to cross a puddle?" He leaned back and smiled that warm, wise smile. "Well, I'll be. You know what that means, don't you? Fear is just a door, Pete. It looks like a wall until the day you walk through it—and then you wonder why you waited so long." "The Gloom fed on my fear," I said quietly. "My fear of the water, and the dark, and being away from all of you. But every time it whispered, one of your voices answered inside me. That's when I understood something." I looked around at all their faces—Mom, Dad, Roman, the Baron, and glowing, gentle Laika. "Being brave isn't having no fear. It's having so much love that the fear can't fit anymore." Laika nodded, her cosmic eyes shimmering. "In all my travels through space and time, little Pete, I have never found a force stronger than a family that loves each other. It is the one light the darkness can never extinguish." "Here, here!" said the Baron, raising his cocoa. "Though I must add—a good mustache helps as well." We laughed until the sun touched the treetops and the lake turned to liquid amber. And as we packed up the blanket and walked back to the car, tired and sandy and happier than words, I looked back one last time at the shimmering water of Ängbybadet. It didn't look like a monster anymore. It looked like what it had been all along—a great big beautiful world, waiting for me to be ready. "Same time next weekend?" Roman asked, scratching my ears. "Absolutely," I said. "But next time, I'm jumping in first." That day I learned that courage is not the absence of fear but the decision that love matters more; that the dark is only the light, resting; and that family—near or far, human or cosmic—is the shore we can always swim back to. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Prospect Park Adventure *** 2026-10-04T10:02:00.774532500

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Prospect Park Adventure ***"🐾 ...