Followers Woof Woof :)

Monday, August 31, 2026

*** The Puggle and the Promenade of Monteliusvägen *** 2026-08-31T11:31:38.766087900

"*** The Puggle and the Promenade of Monteliusvägen ***"🐾

**Chapter 1: The Morning Promise** I woke up with my nose twitching and my white fur puffed out like a little cloud. Sun slipped through the curtains and painted gold stripes across my bed. Mom Mariya was already humming in the kitchen, her voice warm as fresh bread. Dad Lenny came in with his silly joke about how my ears were so big I could hear the neighbors' secrets, and I wiggled so hard my tail thumped the rug. “Pete, my brave explorer,” Mariya said, kneeling so her eyes were level with mine. “Today we are going to Monteliusvägen. The path above the water where Stockholm holds its breath.” Roman grinned from the doorway, his backpack half-zipped. “It’s the best walk in the city, little man. We’ll see the castle, the lake, the boats. And I promise no scary stuff.” I loved his promises, even when he teased me about being a scaredy-puggle. My heart did a happy flip, but a tiny cold flicker of worry tucked itself behind my ribs. Water. Dark. Being far. Lenny ruffled my head. “We’ll stick together like one big, slightly wobbly family. Deal?” I barked yes and pressed my forehead to his knee. I could feel the day already stretching out in front of me, wide and bright and a little bit wobbly. **Chapter 2: The Walk Begins** Monteliusvägen smelled like pine and salt and old stone. The path curled above Lake Mälaren like a ribbon, and the city glittered below us. Mom walked with her hands open, noticing everything. “Look, Pete, the light on the water is like spilled honey,” she whispered. Dad pointed out the white buildings and told a joke about a fish who went to art school. Roman ran ahead a little, then doubled back to hold the leash gently. “You good?” he asked. I was, until we reached the railing. The lake stretched out vast and blue and moving. It lapped at the rocks with a soft, endless shushing that made my fur prickle. My throat went dry. That’s when I saw him. Tom, a big orange tabby with a friendly chatter in his purr, was sunbathing on a warm stone. He lifted his head and blinked at me. “New friend?” he said, voice like a catnap. A tiny brown mouse popped up from a crack, bright eyes and a brave little chest. “I’m Jerry,” he squeaked. “Don’t mind Tom, he’s just dramatic about sun.” Roman knelt. “Hey guys. We’re just exploring.” I wanted to say hello, but my paws felt glued to the path. The water was so big. If I slipped, I would disappear. **Chapter 3: The Splash of Courage** “Water’s not a monster, it’s a mirror,” Mom said softly, not pushing, just offering. Dad added, “It’s like a giant blue blanket. It won’t gobble you up, I promise.” I sniffed the air. The lake smelled cold and alive. My old fear rose up like a wave in my chest: the memory of a puddle that once soaked my belly and made me shiver for hours. I had decided then that all water was scary. Tom stretched. “First time on the promenade?” he asked me. “It’s okay to be nervous. I once tried to swim to the island and nearly became a fish snack.” He laughed, a warm rumble. Jerry hopped closer. “I’m scared of big feet too. But you’re bigger than me, Pete. You can help me cross the little stream down there.” Roman sat on the grass and patted the spot beside him. “Come here, buddy. We’ll just watch first.” I trotted over, my velvety paws soft on the earth. He didn’t pull me toward the water. He just sat with me, his shoulder a safe wall. Slowly, my breathing evened. The water was still there, but it was also beautiful. I took one tiny step closer to the railing, then another. My heart hammered, but it was also brave. **Chapter 4: The Tunnel of Shadows** The path dipped under a low stone arch where trees grew thick. The sun thinned to green specks. “This is the cool part,” Mom said, her voice echoing a little. My ears perked. The shadows lengthened as clouds moved overhead. My fur stood up. The dark inside the tunnel felt like a soft hand over my eyes. I had always hated the dark because I couldn’t see where my family’s feet were. Jerry squeaked, “It’s quieter in here. Good for listening.” Tom flicked his tail. “I like the dark. Cozy.” I didn’t. My nose twitched for familiar scents. I could smell Mom’s lavender lotion, Dad’s coffee, Roman’s shampoo. That helped. We came out on the other side and the path opened to a small clearing with a wooden bench. Roman pointed. “Best view of the city is from here.” I was about to sit when a sudden gust rattled the leaves and the light dimmed again. The sky bruised purple. Mom said, “Storm’s coming later, but we have time.” I didn’t notice how far ahead Roman had wandered to take a photo until I turned and saw only Tom and Jerry beside me, and the family’s backs getting smaller on the path. My stomach dropped like a stone in water. Separated. The word rang in my head. **Chapter 5: Lost in the Golden Woods** “Hey!” I called, my voice small against the trees. Tom’s ears swiveled. “They’re just ahead,” he said, but the path twisted. Jerry darted forward. “Follow the stones! The stones always lead back!” I ran, my paws slipping on damp leaves. The golden light was fading to amber, then to gray. The wind picked up and the first raindrops tapped the leaves. I could hear my own breathing, fast and sharp. Fear of the dark rose again, thicker now. The trees looked taller, their trunks like giants. I thought of Mom’s hands, Dad’s jokes, Roman’s protective arm. Being without them felt like being without air. Tom nudged me gently with his head. “Breathe, little puggle. You’re not alone.” Jerry climbed onto a rock and pointed with his tiny paw. “Listen! There’s water nearby. The little stream I told you about.” The sound of rushing water made my heart pound. Water and dark and alone all at once. I pressed my forehead to the cool bark of a tree and whispered, “I’m scared.” Jerry’s voice was steady. “Being scared means you care. Now we use it.” Tom purred, “I’ll walk in front. You walk behind me. We’re a team.” I felt a flicker of warmth. Maybe courage wasn’t not being scared. Maybe it was moving anyway. **Chapter 6: The Whispering Water** The stream was not a lake, just a narrow silver ribbon cutting through moss. But it sang loudly after the rain, and the rocks were slick. I had to cross it to get back to the main path. My legs shook. The water looked deep and cold and it moved too fast. “Pete, you can do it,” Tom said. “One paw at a time.” Jerry found a fallen log. “It’s a bridge! I checked it!” I stared at the log. It wobbled. My fear screamed no. My chest felt tight. Then I remembered Roman sitting beside me at the railing, not pushing, just being there. I thought of Mom seeing magic in ordinary things. I thought of Dad’s silly jokes that made fear smaller. I took a breath that smelled like wet earth. I stepped onto the log. My paw slipped, and cold spray kissed my whiskers. I yelped, but I didn’t fall. Tom steadied himself, his tail a counterbalance. Jerry cheered, “You’re doing it!” I moved slowly, heart thudding like a drum. Halfway across, the log swayed and the water roared. I closed my eyes and felt the fear, and then I felt the strength underneath it. I reached the other side, shook my fur, and let out a surprised bark of joy. The water hadn’t swallowed me. It had let me through. **Chapter 7: Roman’s Search** I didn’t know how long I’d been gone until I heard a familiar voice calling my name, not panicked, but urgent and loving. “Pete! Buddy! Where are you?” Roman’s voice cut through the trees. My tail exploded. I barked, loud and happy. Tom and Jerry darted ahead to the clearing. Roman burst into view, rain speckling his hair. His eyes were wide. “Oh man, Pete, I’m so sorry. I ran ahead and lost sight of you.” He scooped me up, his arms warm and shaking a little. “Are you okay? Did you get scared?” I pressed my face into his chest and whined. “I was scared,” I said in my head. “Of the dark, of the water, of being alone.” He hugged me tighter. “I know. I was scared too when I realized you were gone. Mom and Dad are already on their way. We’re a team, remember?” Jerry squeaked, “He crossed the stream!” Tom added, “He was brave.” Roman laughed, wet and relieved. “You found friends. That’s awesome.” He set me down gently and held my leash. “Let’s go home together.” **Chapter 8: Reunion on the Hill** The family found us at the top of the hill where the city lights began to blink on. Mom ran to me first, her hands cupping my face. “My little explorer,” she whispered, eyes shining. Dad lifted me and said, “You conquered the lake and the dark and the missing. That’s three big wins.” Roman stood close, his hand on my back. We sat on the bench as the rain eased to a mist. Tom curled nearby and Jerry perched on Mom’s shoe. The lake below glowed silver. I felt tired and full and proud. My heart was still a little fast, but it was steady. “What did you learn today?” Mom asked softly. Roman answered first. “I learned I should never run ahead without checking.” Dad said, “I learned my puggle is braver than I thought.” I thought about my fears. They hadn’t disappeared, but they were smaller now, like shadows that shrink when you bring a light. Tom purred, “Courage is just fear with friends.” Jerry nodded. “And family.” I leaned against Roman’s leg and knew I would always feel the pull of water and dark sometimes, but I also knew I could step forward. Because love is a leash that never really lets go, and friendship is a log you can cross together. The End


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Hudson River Adventure *** 2026-09-23T16:24:05.196677100

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Hudson River Adventure ***"🐾 ...