Followers Woof Woof :)

Friday, August 7, 2026

# *** Story Title: Pete the Puggle and the Wild Heart of Waterloo Mills Preserve *** 2026-08-07T13:05:17.315067900

"# *** Story Title: Pete the Puggle and the Wild Heart of Waterloo Mills Preserve ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Morning the World Smelled Like Adventure The first light of dawn crept through the curtains like golden honey, slow and warm, pooling across the kitchen floor where I sat thumping my tail against the tile in a rhythm only I could understand. My name is Pete. I am a Puggle—part pug, part beagle, all heart—and on that particular Saturday morning, the universe itself seemed to hum with the electric promise of something extraordinary. My short, velvety white fur was still ruffled from sleep, and the playful streaks of makeup around my eyes—yes, I am a dog who appreciates a touch of flair—made my bright eyes sparkle even more than usual. I could smell it in the air before anyone said a word: today was not an ordinary day. Today, we were going to Waterloo Mills Preserve. "Pete! Come here, buddy!" Lenny—Dad—called from the hallway, his voice carrying that deep, warm resonance that always made me feel like the most important creature on the planet. He appeared around the corner wearing his favorite hiking boots and a grin that stretched ear to ear. "You ready for the big adventure, little man?" He scooped me up and nuzzled my ears, and I licked his chin enthusiastically because that was our ritual, our sacred morning greeting. Dad always smelled like coffee and cedarwood and something unidentifiably wonderful—like safety itself had a scent. Mariya—Mom—floated into the kitchen with her characteristic grace, her dark hair pulled into a loose braid, her eyes already alive with that sparkle she gets when she senses magic in the ordinary. "Lenny, did you pack the sandwiches? And the extra water for Pete? Oh, and his little bandana—the blue one with the stars?" She knelt beside me, her fingers gentle as she tied the bandana around my neck. "There," she whispered, pressing her forehead to mine. "Now you look like a true explorer, my little storyteller." Mom always called me her storyteller because she said my eyes held entire universes. I believed her because mothers never lie about things like that. Roman thundered down the stairs two at a time, his backpack slung over one shoulder, his sneakers untied, his hair a magnificent disaster. "Let's GOOO!" he bellowed, skidding into the kitchen like a comet. At fourteen, my older brother was equal parts tornado and guardian angel—playful enough to wrestle me on the living room rug but protective enough to carry me home when I once hurt my paw at the dog park. He was my best friend and sometimes my rival, the way brothers are, the way the tide both pushes and pulls the shore. "Pete, you ready to conquer the wilderness?" He grabbed my paws and danced me in a little circle, and I yipped with pure, unfiltered joy. "That's the spirit!" Roman laughed. The car ride to Waterloo Mills Preserve was a symphony of anticipation. I sat on Roman's lap in the backseat, my nose pressed against the cracked window, inhaling the shifting landscape—suburban streets melting into country roads, country roads dissolving into corridors of ancient trees. Dad drove with one hand on the wheel and the other gesturing animatedly as he told one of his legendary jokes. "Why did the dog cross the road? To get to the barking lot!" Roman groaned. Mom laughed her bell-like laugh. I woofed approvingly because, frankly, I thought it was brilliant. The preserve appeared at the end of a gravel road like a secret the earth had been keeping just for us—a vast, emerald world of rolling meadows, dense woodlands, and the distant, glittering ribbon of a creek threading through the valley. My heart hammered. My tail wagged so hard it blurred. The adventure had begun. --- ## Chapter Two: Into the Emerald Cathedral The parking lot was little more than a clearing in the woods, ringed by oaks and maples whose branches interlaced overhead like the vaulted ceiling of a grand cathedral. When Dad opened the car door, I leapt out before anyone could unbuckle anything, and the world hit me like a wave of pure sensation. The air was thick with the perfume of moss and wild bergamot, layered over the deep, loamy richness of earth that had been undisturbed for centuries. Birdsong cascaded from every direction—warblers, thrushes, a woodpecker's rhythmic percussion somewhere in the canopy. I stood on the gravel, my paws trembling with excitement, and I breathed it all in until my lungs ached with the beauty of it. "Stay close, Pete," Mom called, her voice soft but carrying that undercurrent of watchfulness that mothers possess like a superpower. She had her field journal in one hand—a leather-bound book where she sketched wildflowers and pressed leaves and wrote observations in her flowing, elegant script. "This place is teeming with life. I read that Waterloo Mills Preserve has over two hundred species of plants and birds. Isn't that extraordinary?" She said it with such reverence that even the trees seemed to lean in to listen. Roman tossed a stick for me, and I chased it with the single-minded intensity that defines my breed. The grass was cool and damp beneath my paws, and the stick tasted like adventure—like bark and sunshine and possibility. "Good boy!" Roman cheered, ruffling my ears. "You're gonna be the official trailblazer today, Pete. Lead the way!" He knelt beside me, his brown eyes serious for a moment. "But stay on the path, okay? I don't want you getting lost out there." I licked his nose to seal the promise, though, if I'm being honest, the wildness in my blood was already whispering temptations. Dad consulted the trail map, his brow furrowed in that exaggerated way that meant he was about to make a joke. "According to this highly reliable, slightly crumpled piece of paper, we've got two options: the Meadow Loop—easy, scenic, perfect for families with small dogs—" he winked at me, "—or the Creek Trail, which goes deeper into the woods and crosses the water a few times. Thoughts?" Mom looked at the towering trees, her eyes alight. "The Creek Trail," she said without hesitation. "We didn't come all this way for easy." Dad grinned. "That's my girl. Roman? Pete?" Roman pumped his fist. "Creek Trail! Let's do this!" I barked my agreement, and we set off together into the green. The trail wound through a corridor of ferns and wildflowers, the path narrowing as the woods grew denser. Sunlight filtered through the canopy in shifting columns, illuminating dust motes and tiny insects that danced in the golden light like living confetti. I trotted ahead, nose to the ground, cataloging a thousand scents—fox, deer, rabbit, the ghost of a raccoon that had passed this way hours ago. Every few minutes, I'd glance back to make sure my family was there, their laughter and footsteps a comforting soundtrack. Dad was telling Roman about the history of the preserve—how it had once been a milling town in the 1800s, how the creek had powered the mills, how nature had reclaimed what humans abandoned. "Isn't that beautiful?" Dad said, his voice thoughtful. "The earth always finds a way to heal itself." Roman nodded slowly, and I saw something shift in his expression—a flicker of understanding, a seed taking root. The woods had that power. They made you think about things that mattered. --- ## Chapter Three: The Creek and the Courage We heard the creek before we saw it—a low, musical rushing that grew louder as the trail curved downward through a ravine thick with rhododendrons and skunk cabbage. When the trees parted, the water appeared like a silver ribbon unspooling across smooth stones, wide and shallow but moving with surprising force. It was beautiful. It was terrifying. I stopped dead in my tracks, my four paws planted on the muddy bank, and every hair along my spine rose like a field of alarm. I should explain. I, Pete the Puggle, adventurer and storyteller, have a secret shame: I am terrified of water. Not drinking water, obviously—that would be absurd. But moving water, water that rushes and swirls and pulls, water that you cannot see the bottom of—that water makes my heart fold in on itself like a paper crane being crushed. It started when I was a puppy, when Roman's neighbor's pool party sent me tumbling into the deep end. The memory is a cold, dark thing that lives in my chest and wakes up whenever water sounds its call. "Hey, buddy, you okay?" Roman noticed my hesitation immediately. He knelt beside me, his hand warm on my back. I was trembling. I hated that I was trembling. "It's just a little creek, Pete. Look—it's barely a foot deep. We'll cross together, okay?" His voice was steady, calm, the anchor I needed in the storm of my fear. I looked up at him with eyes that I'm not proud to say were wide and glassy with panic. "I've got you," he whispered. "I always have." Dad assessed the crossing with practical care. "We can use those stepping stones. Mariya, you go first, and I'll hand Pete to you once you're across. Roman, you stay with him." Mom picked her way across the stones with the grace of a deer, her arms outstretched for balance, the water gurgling harmlessly around her ankles. "See? Easy!" she called, smiling. But I saw the current tugging at her boots, and my stomach clenched. Dad crossed next, then turned and beckoned. "Come on, Pete. Roman, carry him if you need to." Roman scooped me up, and I buried my face in his neck. "It's okay, buddy," he murmured against my fur. "I'm not gonna let you fall. I promise." He stepped onto the first stone, and I felt the water's spray on my belly—cold, insistent, alive. I whimpered. I couldn't help it. The fear was a physical thing, a fist around my lungs. But Roman's arms were strong and sure, his heartbeat steady against my ear, and step by step, he carried me across. When we reached the other side, he set me down on solid ground and crouched before me. "You did it, Pete. You faced it. That's what courage is—not being unafraid, but doing the thing even when you're scared." Dad nodded from behind, his eyes warm. "Roman's right, little man. Courage is just fear that's decided to keep walking." I looked at the creek behind us—the water I had crossed—and something shifted inside me. The fear was still there, but it was smaller now, a pebble instead of a boulder. I wagged my tail tentatively, and Roman laughed. "That's my boy." --- ## Chapter Four: New Friends and Old Rivalries The trail beyond the creek opened into a sprawling meadow dotted with wildflowers—black-eyed Susans, butterfly weed, and Queen Anne's lace trembling in the breeze like delicate lace doilies laid across the green. It was here, in this sun-drenched clearing, that I first saw her. She stood at the far edge of the meadow beside a woman in a wide-brimmed hat, her posture regal, her presence commanding. She was an Italian Mastiff—tall, sleek, and powerful—with a coat the color of storm clouds and eyes like polished amber that seemed to hold the wisdom of ancient Rome. Her name, I would soon learn, was Luna, and the moment our eyes met across that field of wildflowers, something inside my chest performed a complicated acrobatic maneuver that I was entirely unprepared for. "Hi there!" Mom called to the woman, who waved warmly. As they fell into conversation about trails and bird sightings, Luna and I regarded each other with the careful curiosity that dogs employ when meeting strangers. She was magnificent. There was no other word. She moved with a liquid grace that made my own bouncy, slightly clumsy gait feel charmingly inadequate. "So," she said, her voice low and smooth like dark honey, "you're a Puggle. I don't think I've ever met a Puggle before." I felt my ears grow warm, which I didn't know was possible. "I'm Pete," I managed, cursing myself for not being more suave. "I'm a storyteller. And an adventurer. And I have a bandana." She laughed—a rich, warm sound that made the wildflowers seem to lean toward her. "A storyteller? That's unusual. Tell me, Pete—what story are you living right now?" I blinked, momentarily lost in her amber gaze. "I... I think I'm living the best one." We played. Oh, how we played. Luna was fast—much faster than me—but she slowed her pace to match mine, nudging me with her nose and dancing just out of reach, her tail wagging in that sweeping, majestic arc that Italian Mastiffs do. We chased butterflies that spiraled upward like confetti, we rolled in the grass until our fur was fragrant with green, and we lay side by side in a patch of clover, panting and happy, watching the clouds drift overhead. "You're fun, Pete," she said, her head resting on her paws. "Most small dogs try too hard to prove they're tough. You're just... yourself." My heart swelled so large I thought it might lift me off the ground. "Being yourself is the bravest thing you can be," I said, repeating Dad's wisdom, and Luna smiled—that particular dog-smile where the eyes soften and the mouth relaxes—and I thought maybe, just maybe, this was what it felt like to fall in like with someone. But then he appeared. Kirusha. The Jack Russell Terrier exploded from the underbrush like a furry cannonball, his white-and-brown coat bristling, his eyes blazing with combative fire. He was small but radiated aggression, every line of his body a challenge. "What's THIS?" he barked, circling me with stiff legs. "A Puggle? In MY preserve? This is MY territory, and I don't share with pampered house dogs in BANDANAS!" He lunged at me, snapping, and I yelped and stumbled backward. Luna sighed dramatically. "Kirusha, behave. You're being ridiculous." But Kirusha was not interested in behaving. He was interested in war. "Listen here, bandana boy," Kirusha growled, his stubby tail vibrating with fury, "I've been coming to this preserve since I was a pup. I know every trail, every burrow, every shadow. And I don't need some soft, white-furred, makeup-wearing PUGGLE strutting around like he owns the place!" I bristled. I may be soft, and I may wear makeup, but I was not going to be bullied. "I'm not strutting," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "I'm exploring. With my family. And my new friend. And I don't see your name on any of these trees." Kirusha's eyes narrowed to slits. "Oh, you've got a mouth on you. Fine. Let's see what you've got, storyteller." He charged, and we tumbled into a snarling, rolling ball of fur and fury. Luna barked for us to stop. I snarled something I'm not proud of. Kirusha nipped my ear. I nipped his paw. It was chaos—until a sharp whistle from the trail cut through the commotion, and we sprang apart, panting and glaring. "This isn't over, bandana boy," Kirusha growled. "Not by a long shot." I met his glare with equal fire. "Whenever you're ready, Kirusha." But deep inside, beneath the bravado, I felt a flicker of something unexpected—respect. He was fierce, but he was honest. And somewhere in that tangled mess of barks and bites, I sensed a loneliness that mirrored my own fear. We were more alike than either of us would admit. --- ## Chapter Five: The Darkening Woods The afternoon sun began its slow descent, painting the preserve in shades of amber and rose, and our little pack—humans and dogs—ventured deeper along the Creek Trail. Luna's owner, a kind woman named Elena, had joined our group, and the trail now wound through a section of old-growth forest where the trees stood like sentinels, their trunks wide as doorways, their roots gnarled and knotted across the path. The light changed here. It dimmed, filtered through so many layers of leaves that the forest floor existed in a perpetual, green-tinged twilight. I felt the shift in my bones—a whisper of unease that coiled in my belly like a spring. "Isn't this magnificent?" Mom breathed, her pencil flying across her journal as she sketched a towering oak. "These trees are probably two hundred years old. Think of everything they've witnessed." Dad draped his arm around her shoulder. "You know what they say—the best time to plant a tree was two hundred years ago. The second best time is now." Roman rolled his eyes. "Dad, that's about planting trees, not admiring them." Dad shrugged, unbothered. "Wisdom is wisdom, son. Even when it's misapplied." They laughed together, and the sound was warm and golden, a small sun in the gathering shade. But I noticed that the birdsong had thinned. The creek's voice had grown distant. The forest was changing around us, and I didn't like the change. It happened gradually, the way darkness always does—not as a sudden thing, but as a slow, patient tide. The trail forked, and while the humans consulted the map, Luna, Kirusha, and I wandered down a side path following a tantalizing scent—rabbit, I was certain, or perhaps something more exotic. "Stay where we can see you!" Roman called, but the scent was irresistible, a siren song pulling us deeper into the woods. Luna led the way, her nose precise and methodical, while Kirusha darted ahead with reckless confidence. I followed because following was easier than admitting I was scared, and because losing face in front of Luna was a prospect more frightening than any forest. When I turned around, the trail behind us had vanished. Not literally—it was still there, of course—but the woods had closed in, the path obscured by undergrowth and shadow, and the sounds of my family had been swallowed by the silence. I stopped. My heart, that brave little drummer that had been keeping time all day, stumbled over a beat. "Guys?" I called, my voice smaller than I wanted it to be. "Guys, I think we went too far." Luna turned, her amber eyes calm. "We just need to backtrack. Stay calm, Pete." But Kirusha was already pacing in tight circles, his bravado cracking. "I know these woods," he insisted, but his voice had lost its edge, and I could see the fear creeping into his eyes like water seeping into a boat. The shadows lengthened. The temperature dropped. And the forest, which had been a cathedral of green, became something else entirely—a labyrinth of darkness and uncertainty, every tree a stranger, every sound a threat. I have to be honest about what happened inside me then, because honesty is the heart of every good story. The fear was not just of the dark or of being lost—it was the fear of separation, the fear that the tether connecting me to my family had snapped, that I was adrift in a world too large and too wild for a small white Puggle with a starry bandana and a streak of vulnerability running through him like a vein of gold in stone. I thought of Roman's arms carrying me across the creek. I thought of Mom's forehead pressed to mine. I thought of Dad's jokes, silly beacons of light in any darkness. And I thought of Luna's words: *Being yourself is the bravest thing you can be.* I was scared. I was truly, deeply scared. But I was not alone. I had Luna, steady and serene. I had Kirusha, fierce and afraid. And I had myself—a storyteller who knew that every great story has a moment when the hero must choose between surrender and courage. I chose courage. "Okay," I said, my voice steadier now. "We're going to find our way back. Together. All three of us." --- ## Chapter Six: Shadows and Salvation The darkness came not all at once but in pieces, the way a puzzle assembles itself in reverse—first the spaces between the trees filled with shadow, then the shadows linked hands and became a wall, and then the wall became a world, and suddenly we were standing in a forest so dark that the sky above the canopy was merely a rumor. My fear of the dark is ancient and primal, rooted in the same soil as every child's fear of the thing under the bed. It is the fear of the unknown, the unseen, the uncontrolled. In the dark, imagination becomes both tormentor and fortress—it builds monsters from shadows and heroes from nothing. That night in the woods, I needed every hero my imagination could conjure. "I can't see anything," Kirusha whimpered, and the admission from such a proud, aggressive little dog struck me like a blow. He was trembling. The fierce warrior who had charged me without hesitation in the meadow was now a small, frightened creature in a vast, uncaring darkness. I pressed my side against his. He flinched but didn't pull away. "It's okay to be scared," I said quietly. "Roman told me that courage isn't the absence of fear. It's keeping going even when the fear is loud." Kirusha's breath was ragged. "Your brother said that?" "Yeah," I replied. "He's pretty wise for a human." Luna moved closer, her warm body a shield on my other side. "Pete's right," she said, her voice a low, steadying hum. "We stay together. We move carefully. And we listen." We walked. The forest floor was a carpet of decomposing leaves, soft and treacherous, hiding roots and stones beneath its deceptive smoothness. Every snap of a twig was a gunshot. Every rustle in the underbrush was a predator. My imagination, that faithful servant that usually crafted tales of wonder, had turned traitor, painting the darkness with horrors—a bear's glowing eyes, a coyote's hungry silhouette, the endless, yawning void of being lost forever. "I want to go home," Kirusha said, and his voice cracked on the word *home* in a way that broke my heart. "I don't even know where home is from here." I nudged his ear with my nose. "Home isn't a place, Kirusha. Home is the people—and dogs—who love you. And they're out there looking for us right now. I know it." And then, piercing the silence like a blade of light, a sound that made my soul leap: "PETE! LUNA! KIRUSHA! WHERE ARE YOU?" Roman's voice, distant but unmistakable, carrying across the dark woods like a lifeline thrown from a ship. My ears shot up. My tail, despite everything, began to wag. "ROMAN!" I barked with every ounce of power in my small body. "ROMAN! WE'RE HERE! WE'RE HERE!" Luna and Kirusha joined in, and our combined voices shattered the silence, a chorus of hope rising into the dark canopy. "PETE! KEEP BARKING! I'M COMING!" Roman's voice was closer now, and I could hear crashing through the underbrush—footsteps, real and wonderful and getting nearer. When Roman burst through the ferns, flashlight in hand, his face a mask of relief and love, I launched myself at him with such force that I nearly knocked him over. He caught me, held me tight, buried his face in my fur, and I felt his tears—warm and real—against my neck. "I've got you, buddy," he whispered, his voice shaking. "I've got you. I was so scared, Pete. I was so scared I'd lost you." I licked his face frantically, tasting salt and love and the indescribable flavor of safety. Luna pressed against his leg, her tail wagging. And Kirusha—brave, aggressive, impossible Kirusha—stood a few feet away, uncertain, as if he wasn't sure he belonged in this reunion. Roman looked at him, smiled, and scooped him up too. "You too, little guy. Come here. You're part of this family now." Kirusha licked Roman's chin once, quickly, as if the tenderness embarrassed him. But I saw his eyes soften. I saw the wall crack. And in that moment, everything between us—the fighting, the barking, the rivalry—fell away like leaves in autumn, and what remained was something clean and new and true. --- ## Chapter Seven: The Crossing Roman carried Kirusha while I walked beside Luna, our small procession guided by the flashlight's beam through the darkened forest. The way back felt different—not shorter, exactly, but less hostile, as if the woods themselves recognized that we were no longer lost but found. "How did you find us?" I asked Roman, looking up at his silhouette against the flashlight's glow. He smiled down at me. "I heard you barking, buddy. I always hear you. Even when the whole world is loud, I hear you." Something warm expanded in my chest—a balloon of light and gratitude. "I heard you too," I said. "Your voice was the first thing I heard, and everything got less dark." Roman squeezed me gently with his free hand. "That's because we're a team, Pete. We always have been." The creek appeared ahead, wider and more intimidating in the darkness, its voice raised to a roar that made my stomach clench with renewed terror. The stepping stones were slick and barely visible, the water black and unknowable. I froze again, the old fear surging back like a tide, erasing the courage I had built. But this time, something was different. Kirusha, still in Roman's arms, looked at me with an expression I had never seen him wear—respect, and something that might have been admiration. "You got this, bandana boy," he said gruffly. "If you can face me in a fight, you can face a little water." Luna stood beside me, her body warm against mine. "You crossed it once, Pete. You can cross it again. And this time, you don't have to be carried." Roman set Kirusha down gently and knelt beside me. "What do you think, Pete? You want to try walking across yourself?" His voice held no pressure, only gentle encouragement—the voice of someone who believes in you so completely that you begin to believe in yourself. I looked at the water. It roared. It hissed. It dared me. And I thought about everything that had happened that day—the morning's excitement, the meadow's joy, the forest's terror, the darkness conquered, the friends made. I thought about how fear had been my constant companion, sitting on my shoulder like a gargoyle, whispering *you can't, you can't, you can't*. But I had. I had faced the dark. I had faced being lost. I had faced Kirusha's fury and Luna's scrutiny and my own trembling heart. If I could do all that, I could cross a creek. I placed one paw on the first stone. The water rushed below, cold and insistent, but the stone was solid beneath me. Another paw. Another stone. I was shaking—there's no shame in admitting it—but I was moving forward, one small, brave step at a time. "You're doing it, Pete!" Roman called from behind. "Keep going!" Luna barked encouragement. Even Kirusha yapped, "Come on, bandana boy! Move those little legs!" And I did. Step by step, stone by stone, I crossed the creek on my own four paws, and when I reached the other side, I turned and looked back at the water that had once been my monster, and it was just water—beautiful, ordinary, manageable water. I had done it. I had done it myself. And the feeling that bloomed inside me was not pride, exactly, but something deeper—a quiet, luminous knowing that I was stronger than my fears. Roman crossed after me, scooped me up, and spun me in a circle. "THAT'S my boy!" he shouted, laughing and crying at the same time. "Pete the brave! Pete the mighty! Pete the Puggle who conquered the creek!" I barked, and Luna nuzzled my ear, and Kirusha bumped my hip with his nose, and the night was dark but we were a circle of light, and nothing could touch us. --- ## Chapter Eight: Home Is Where the Pack Is The trailhead appeared through the trees like the final page of a beloved book—expected but no less wonderful for its arrival. The parking lot was bathed in the soft glow of the preserve's solar lamps, and standing beside our car were Mom, Dad, and Elena, their faces etched with worry that transformed instantly into relief so profound it seemed to reshape the very air. Mom ran toward us, her braid flying, her arms open. "PETE! Oh, my baby, my baby!" She fell to her knees and gathered me against her chest, and I buried my face in her neck, breathing in the scent of home—lavender and warmth and the unshakeable foundation of her love. Dad enveloped Roman in a bear hug, one hand gripping his shoulder. "You found them," he said, his voice thick. "You found them, son. I'm so proud of you." Roman ducked his head, embarrassed and proud in equal measure. "Pete did the hard part, Dad. He crossed the creek by himself. He was incredible." Elena swept Luna into her arms, murmuring Italian endearments that sounded like music. Kirusha stood at the edge of the group, uncertain, his tail low. Then Mom looked at him, smiled that smile that could melt glaciers, and said, "Come here, you brave little warrior. Come here, Kirusha." He hesitated for one heartbeat, then launched himself into her arms, and I saw his eyes close with something that looked like surrender—not to fear, but to love. "He's not so bad, you know," I told Luna, watching Kirusha snuggle into Mom's embrace. Luna smiled her elegant smile. "Neither are you, Pete. Neither are you." We sat together in the fading lamplight, the humans on the tailgate of Dad's truck, sharing sandwiches and thermoses of hot cocoa, while Luna, Kirusha, and I lay in a comfortable heap on a picnic blanket, our bodies warm against each other, the stars emerging one by one above the canopy like a slow, celestial applause. "So," Dad said, his voice contemplative, "what did we learn today?" Roman chewed his sandwich thoughtfully. "I learned that being brave doesn't mean being unafraid. It means doing what's right even when you're terrified. Pete taught me that." Mom stroked my ears. "And I learned that the world is full of magic if you're willing to look for it—even in the scary parts. Especially in the scary parts." Dad nodded. "I learned that family isn't just about blood. It's about who shows up when you need them. Roman showed up. Pete showed up. Even Kirusha showed up." Kirusha lifted his head, his ears twitching. "I learned that being tough doesn't mean being alone," he said quietly, and the vulnerability in his voice made something catch in my throat. "I've been pushing everyone away for so long because I thought that was strength. But watching Pete—this little, white, bandana-wearing Puggle—face his fears without anyone carrying him... that showed me what real strength looks like." I pressed my nose to his ear. "And I learned that friends can come from the most unexpected places," I said. "Even from someone who bit my ear in a meadow." He snorted. "You bit my paw first, bandana boy." "Details," I said, and we both laughed—a sound that surprised us both with its ease, its naturalness, its rightness. Luna rested


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T11:27:10.473055400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure ***"🐾 ...