Followers Woof Woof :)

Monday, September 28, 2026

*** The Great Bowling Green Odyssey: A Puggle’s Tale of Courage *** 2026-09-29T01:39:09.310504100

"*** The Great Bowling Green Odyssey: A Puggle’s Tale of Courage ***"๐Ÿพ

**Chapter 1: The Rolling Wheels and the Whispering Woods** The car smelled like adventure, a potent cocktail of Lenny’s peppermint gum, Mariya’s vanilla hand cream, and the dusty, sun-baked scent of Roman’s hiking boots shoved into the backseat beside me. I, Pete the Puggle, sat perched on the folded blanket like a furry sentinel, my velvety white ears flapping in the breeze from the cracked window. My eyes, accented with those playful streaks of charcoal makeup Mariya swore were just "natural markings," scanned the blurring green canvas of Kentucky rushing by. "Are we there yet?" I woofed softly, nudging Roman’s knee with a wet, cold nose. He laughed, a deep, rumbling sound that vibrated through the seat, and scratched behind my ears with rough, gentle fingers. "Patience, little navigator," Roman said, his voice warm as honey. "Bowling Green isn't going anywhere. The caves, the rivers, the endless trails—they’re all waiting for us." Lenny adjusted the rearview mirror, catching my gaze with a twinkle that rivaled the morning sun. "And if the caves get too dark," Dad announced, his voice adopting a theatrical, storyteller’s timbre, "we’ll just tell the shadows a joke so funny they’ll split their sides and let the light in. Why did the scarecrow win an award? Because he was outstanding in his field!" He snorted at his own punchline, a sound like a happy tractor. Mariya turned from the passenger seat, her dark eyes sparkling with that curious magic she always carried. "Ignore him, Pete," she whispered conspiratorially, reaching back to stroke my head. "The real magic isn't in the jokes. It's in the moss on the rocks, the temperature drop at a cave mouth, the way the water remembers every hand that skips a stone across it. You’ll see. We all will." The car slowed, gravel crunching a lullaby beneath the tires. We had arrived at the cabin, a sturdy log structure hugged by ancient oaks and the sweet, heavy perfume of honeysuckle. The air here tasted different—thicker, older, humming with the cicadas' high-pitched symphony. I hopped out, paws hitting cool grass, and immediately felt the tug of a thousand new smells. But beneath the excitement, a small, cold knot tightened in my belly. The river. I could hear it, a low, insistent roar just beyond the tree line. Water. Deep, moving, indifferent water. I tucked my tail, pressing close to Roman’s legs. "Easy, buddy," he murmured, leaning down to whisper in my ear. "We face it together. Always." **Chapter 2: The Sailor, the Terrier, and the Trembling Earth** The afternoon sun slanted gold through the canopy when we walked down to the riverbank to meet George. He stood ankle-deep in the current, a mountain of a man with shoulders broad as boulders and skin weathered by salt and sun. He wore a faded Navy t-shirt, and when he smiled, the lines around his eyes crinkled like old maps. "So this is the famous Pete," George boomed, a voice like distant thunder rolling over the water. He crouched, offering a hand the size of a dinner plate. "Roman tells me you’re a strategist. A thinker. Roman, you didn't mention the eyeliner, though. Very tactical. Camouflage for the night ops?" I sniffed his fingers—salt, sunscreen, old rope, and something distinctly *safe*. My tail gave a tentative, hopeful wag. "He's a Puggle, George," Roman said, wading in beside him, the water lapping at his calves. "Half Pug stubbornness, half Beagle nose. Currently, the stubbornness is winning regarding the 'wet' concept." Mariya and Lenny lingered on the bank, a united front of picnic blankets and snack bags. "He’ll come around," Mariya called out, shielding her eyes. "Water is just the earth’s blood. It connects us all." "Speaking of connections," a sharp, staccato voice yapped from the reeds. *Yip-yip-yip-YIP!* A blur of white and tan exploded from the undergrowth. Kirusha. A Jack Russell Terrier, compact as a coiled spring, eyes burning with a fierce, chaotic intelligence. He landed inches from my muzzle, hackles raised, a growl rumbling in his chest like a broken engine. *Grrr-rrrup.* "Stay back, Fluffy!" he snapped, his voice high and sharp. "This bank? Claimed. This stick? Claimed. This human?" He snapped his jaws at the air near my ear. "Mine. All mine. You’re just a dust bunny with delusions of grandeur!" My heart hammered a frantic rhythm against my ribs—*thump-thump-thump*—a trapped bird against bone. I shrank, pressing my belly to the cool mud, ears pinned flat. *Make yourself small. Make yourself invisible.* The old instinct screamed. Kirusha circled, nipping at my heels, herding me away from the water, away from Roman. "Kirusha! Enough!" George’s voice cracked like a whip, but gentle. He stepped between us, a wall of calm. "He’s a guest. Stand down." Kirusha skidded to a halt, vibrating with pent-up energy, glaring at me with pure disdain. "Hmph. Weakness smells like wet fur," he sneered, though his tail gave a single, betraying wag. Roman knelt beside me, his hand firm on my trembling flank. "Hey. Look at me, Pete." I looked up, my makeup-streaked eyes wide. "He’s all noise," Roman whispered, just for me. "Volume isn't courage. You know what courage is? It’s being scared witless and staying put anyway. You’re staying put, right?" I swallowed hard, the taste of mud and fear thick on my tongue. I nodded, a tiny, jerky motion. *Stay put. Be a rock.* "Right," I breathed, the word more a feeling than a sound. The knot in my belly didn't loosen, but it stopped tightening. For now. **Chapter 3: The Liquid Mirror and the Abyss Within** "Alright, crew," George announced, clapping hands that sounded like gunshots. "Swim call. Operation: Cool Down." He waded deeper, the water climbing his thighs, his waist. He moved with a liquid grace, utterly at home in the element that haunted my nightmares. Roman followed, the water rising to his chest. "Come on, Pete," Roman called, turning back, water droplets catching the light on his shoulders like diamonds. "It’s just a bath. A really big, moving bath." *Just a bath.* The words mocked me. To me, that water wasn't a bath; it was a yawning, gray mouth. I stood on the muddy shelf where the bottom dropped away into the unknown. The current tugged at my front paws, a greedy, cold fingers trying to pull me into the dark. I could see the silt swirling, obscuring the bottom, hiding monsters—logs, snakes, the endless, crushing weight of the deep. My breath came in short, sharp pants. *Hah. Hah. Hah.* My legs locked, tendons straining. "I... I can't," I whimpered, the sound lost in the roar of the river. "The bottom is gone. The dark is *under* me." Lenny waded in now, stopping beside Roman, the water at his hips. He didn't urge me forward. He just stood there, an anchor. "The water holds you, Pete," Dad said, his voice cutting through the rush. "Physics, buddy. Buoyancy. Archimedes and all that. You’re mostly air and fluff. You’re a cork. A very handsome, eyeliner-wearing cork." He grinned, but his eyes were serious, deep pools of belief. "You don't have to swim the English Channel. Just take one step. Feel the bottom. Then decide." Mariya appeared at the water's edge, bare feet sinking in silt. She held a bright blue tennis ball. "Or," she said softly, "you watch the ball. You watch the *arc*." She threw it. Not into the deep, but parallel to shore, landing with a soft *plop* just three feet out. "Fetch isn't about the water, sweetheart. It's about the *flight*. The ball flies. You follow the flight." Kirusha sat on the bank, panting, watching with an unreadable expression. He didn't bark. He didn't taunt. He just watched, head tilted. *The dust bunny*, his eyes seemed to say. *Let's see what he's made of.* I stared at the ball. It floated, innocent and bright. I stared at Roman, treading water, arms outstretched. "I've got you," he mouthed. "I *always* got you." The knot in my chest screamed *Run!* but a quieter voice, sounding suspiciously like my own heart, whispered *Trust.* I shifted weight. One front paw lifted. Hovered. The cold kissed the fur. *Cold. Wet. Real.* I set it down. *Thud.* The bottom held. Mud squished between my toes. Solid. Earth. "Good boy," George rumbled from the deep. "One more. Find the rhythm." **Chapter 4: The First Stroke and the Salt of Triumph** The second paw followed. Then a hind leg. The water rose to my chest, a shocking, electrifying cold that stole my breath. I gasped, a high, sharp sound. *Inhale. Exhale.* The current pushed, testing my balance. I widened my stance, claws digging into the muddy floor. *I am a mountain,* I told myself, channeling Lenny’s dad-joke gravity. *I am a cork.* Roman moved closer, a silent guardian. "Walk with me," he said. "Just walk. Pretend the floor keeps going." We walked. The water climbed. My ribs. My shoulders. The fear was a physical weight, a lead blanket draped over my soul. *What if I sink? What if the current takes me? What if I disappear?* "Head up," George commanded gently from my other side, his massive hand hovering near my collar, not touching, just *there*. "Chin high. Look at the trees. Look at the sky. Don't look down. The deep doesn't need your eyes; the sky does." I lifted my chin. The canopy unfurled above, a cathedral of green stained glass. Sunlight stabbed through in golden spears. Dragonflies performed aerial pirouettes. *Beautiful.* The thought struck me like a physical blow. *It’s beautiful out here.* My back paws left the mud. For one terrifying heartbeat, there was nothing beneath me. Nothing but the water. Panic flared, hot and sharp. *I’m falling! I’m falling up!* Then—*push.* Instinct, ancient and canine, took over. My legs moved. *Paddle. Paddle. Reach. Pull.* Clumsy. Splashy. My snout dipped, bubbles streaming from my nose. *Blow out! Blow out!* I snorted, clearing my airway. *Paddle. Paddle.* My chest bucked. I was moving. *I am moving.* "I'm doing it!" I yelped, the sound garbled by water and wonder. "Roman! Look! I’m *swimming*!" Roman whooped, a sound of pure joy that scared a heron into flight. "That’s it, Pete! That’s the stroke! Drive those legs!" Lenny cheered from behind, splashing water high. Mariya clapped, tears tracking through the sunscreen on her cheeks. Even Kirusha let out a sharp, surprised *Yip!* that sounded suspiciously like applause. I swam to the ball. I nudged it with my nose. It bobbed away. I chased it, paddling harder, my back legs finding a rhythm, my front legs scooping the river into submission. The fear didn't vanish—it rode shotgun, a silent passenger—but I was driving the car. I turned, fighting the current, and paddled back toward the shallows. My paws found mud. I stood, shaking violently, water streaming from my fur in sheets. I looked at the river, the gray-green beast that had haunted my dreams. It just flowed. Indifferent. Beautiful. *I beat you,* I thought, a surge of pride so bright it warmed me better than any towel. *Or maybe... we made a deal.* **Chapter 5: The Rabbit Hole and the Splintering Light** Hours later, the sun began its long, slow slide toward the horizon, painting the sky in bruised purples and burnt oranges. We were hiking the trail that wound along the bluffs, high above the river. George carried the tired Kirusha on his shoulders—the terrier had swum *twice* the distance I had, chasing sticks until his legs gave out—while Roman and I brought up the rear, sniffing the edges of the world. "Smell that?" Roman asked, pointing a muddy finger. "Wild mint. And... deer. Fresh." I inhaled deep, the scents painting pictures in my mind: the musk of the buck, the sweet crush of mint, the sharp tang of pine sap. *Deer passed here. Two hours ago. Moving north.* My nose was a time machine. A flash of brown. A cotton-tail flicker. *Rabbit.* The hunter in me, the Beagle blood, roared awake. *CHASE.* I didn't think. I launched. Roman shouted, "Pete! Wait! The trail—!" But I was already gone, a white blur crashing through the underbrush, thorns tearing at my fur, the thrill of the pursuit burning away all caution. *Faster. Closer. There!* The rabbit vanished down a hole at the base of a massive sycamore. I skidded, panting, paws scrabbling at the dirt, sniffing the hot, dusty scent of the burrow. *Got you now.* I stuck my snout deep, snarling, tail high. *Come out. Come out come out come out.* "Pete! Pete, stop! Come back!" Roman’s voice. Distant. Thin. I pulled my head out, dirt caking my whiskers. I turned to bound back, tail wagging, eager to share my victory. *I found the rabbit hole! I guarded it!* But the trail was gone. The trees pressed close, trunks like prison bars. The light had thinned to a bruised violet. The shadows weren't just shadows anymore; they were shapes. Bears. Wolves. Monsters with teeth made of darkness. The cicadas had stopped. Silence roared in my ears, louder than the river. *Where are they? Where is Roman? Where is the sun?* "Roman?" I barked. The sound swallowed by the trees. "Lenny? Mariya? George? Kirusha?" Only the wind answered, sighing through the leaves like a ghost. *Mama. Papa. Brother.* The fear of the water was a splash; this fear was a drowning. A cold, dry drowning in the dark. My legs folded. I curled into a tight ball at the base of the sycamore, nose tucked under my tail, the makeup streaks on my face feeling like war paint that had failed. *I am lost. I am small. The dark eats puppies.* I squeezed my eyes shut, but the dark was inside my eyelids too. *Please. Please find me. I’ll be good. I’ll never chase a rabbit again. I’ll learn to love baths. Just... don't let the dark win.* **Chapter 6


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Starlight Secrets of Stuyvesant Square *** 2026-09-29T01:49:03.343014

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Starlight Secrets of Stuyvesant Square ***"๐Ÿพ ...