Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, September 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Pier 45 Adventure *** 2026-09-26T14:41:24.363350700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Pier 45 Adventure ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Journey to the River** The morning sun poured through the car window like melted honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, pressed my velvety white nose against the glass, my tail thumping a happy rhythm against the seat. "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" I barked, spinning in a circle. "Almost, little adventurer," laughed Lenny, my dad, from the driver's seat. "You know what they say—the journey is half the fun. The other half is snacks." Mariya turned around from the front seat, her eyes twinkling. "Pete, look! Can you see the river sparkling out there? The Hudson is wearing her diamonds today." I peered out, and my heart did a little flip—but not the happy kind. The water stretched out wide and gray-blue, enormous and mysterious, like a giant breathing beast. My ears drooped. "That's... a lot of water," I whispered. Roman, my older brother and best friend (and sometimes rival), scratched behind my ears. "Hey, buddy. You okay? You look like you just saw a ghost squirrel." "The water is so big, Roman. What if it... what if it wants to eat me?" Roman grinned gently. "Water doesn't eat puggles, Pete. But I get it. Big things can be scary. Stick with me today, okay? We'll face it together." As we pulled into the parking area near Hudson River Park, my paws trembled just a little. But with my family around me—Lenny's warm laugh, Mariya's magical way of seeing the world, Roman's steady paw on my back—I felt like maybe, just maybe, I could be brave. The breeze carried the smell of pretzels, salt, and adventure. Something told me this day would change me forever. **Chapter Two: Kirusha the Terrier** Pier 45 stretched out before us like a wooden runway into the sky, lined with green lawns and flowers that nodded in the wind. Children laughed, kites swooped like colorful birds, and the great Hudson hummed its endless song. I was trotting along, sniffing a particularly fascinating blade of grass, when—BAM!—a blur of white and tan fur crashed into me. "HEY! Watch where you're going, floppy-ears!" yapped a small, wiry Jack Russell Terrier, his eyes blazing with fiery spirit. I stumbled back, my ears flattening. "Who are YOU calling floppy-ears, short-legs?" "Kirusha! And this is MY pier! I've sniffed every inch of it!" He barked right in my face, sharp and loud, like tiny thunderclaps. "Well, *I'm* Pete, and piers belong to everybody!" I barked back, puffing out my chest even though my knees were wobbling. We circled each other like two tiny gladiators while Roman jogged over. "Whoa, whoa! Easy, you two!" He scooped me up gently. "Pete, be nice. He's probably just excited too." Kirusha's human called him, and he trotted off, but not before shooting me a look that crackled like lightning. "This isn't over, Puggle!" Mariya knelt beside me, stroking my back. "You know, Pete, sometimes the prickliest porcupines hide the softest hearts. Give him a chance." "But Mom, he BARKED at me!" "And you barked back," she said with a knowing smile. "Two brave hearts recognizing each other, maybe?" I huffed, but deep down, a curious little seed had been planted. There was something in Kirusha's fierce eyes—not meanness, exactly, but a kind of loneliness wrapped in bravado, like a knight with no one to protect. I shook the thought away. We had a pier to explore! **Chapter Three: The Edge of the Water** The family spread a blanket on the great lawn, and Lenny unpacked sandwiches while telling one of his famously silly jokes. "Why did the fish blush? Because it saw the ocean's bottom!" Roman groaned, Mariya giggled, and I rolled onto my back, letting the sun warm my belly. But then Roman stood up. "Come on, Pete. Let's walk down to the railing. Just to look." My paws suddenly felt glued to the grass. "The... the edge? Near the water?" "Just to look," Roman repeated softly. "I'll be right beside you. One paw step at a time." I won't lie to you—my heart was pounding like a drum at a rock concert. The water sloshed against the pilings below, dark and deep, whispering secrets I couldn't understand. What if I fell? What if the river swallowed me whole and I never saw my family again? Roman walked slowly, matching my tiny steps. "You know what courage is, Pete? Dad told me once. It's not about not being scared. It's about being scared and taking the step anyway." "That's... actually pretty wise," I admitted. "Don't tell him. He'll never stop saying it." We reached the railing. The wind kissed my face, and the river sparkled below like a thousand dancing mirrors. It was still scary—but it was also beautiful. "I did it," I breathed. "Roman, I did it!" "You did," he said, and I could hear the pride glowing in his voice like a lantern. Just then, a familiar voice yapped behind us. "Hmph. Took you long enough to get near the water. Even *I'm* not scared of it." "Kirusha!" I spun around. "Were you following us?" "Following? Please. I was... patrolling." But his tail gave a tiny, traitorous wag. **Chapter Four: Lost in the Crowd** It happened so fast. A flock of pigeons exploded into the sky, a street performer's drum boomed, and a wave of people surged between us and the family blanket. Kirusha and I were swept along like two leaves in a stream, and when the crowd finally thinned, my blood turned to ice water. "Roman? ROMAN?!" I cried. The blanket, my family—gone. Every direction looked the same: strange legs, strange smells, strange noises. "This is YOUR fault!" Kirusha snapped, but his voice trembled. "You and your pigeon-chasing ways!" "ME?! You chased them too!" I shot back—then my voice cracked. "Oh no. Oh no, no, no. What if I never find them? What if I'm lost forever in the dark and the city and—" "Hey. HEY." Kirusha stepped in front of me, and for the first time, his fierce eyes were soft. "Listen, Puggle. I get lost from my human all the time. I always find him. You know why?" "Why?" "Because fear is loud, but noses are louder. Your family's smell is in your memory. Close your eyes. Sniff. Really sniff." I closed my eyes. The world was full of smells—pretzels, hot dogs, river salt—but underneath it all, faint as a whisper... Mariya's lavender soap. Lenny's coffee. Roman's sneakers. "I smell them!" I yelped. "That way!" But "that way" led toward a shadowy passage under the pier structure—a dark tunnel of concrete and echoing drips. My second greatest fear, the dark, yawned before me like a monster's mouth. I froze. Kirusha looked at me, then at the tunnel. "Scared of the dark too, huh?" "Terrified," I admitted, ashamed. "Then we'll be terrified together. I'll go first. You watch my tail. If it's still wagging, it's safe." He paused. "That's... what friends do." Friends. The word warmed me like a campfire. Side by side, we stepped into the dark. **Chapter Five: Through the Darkness** The tunnel swallowed the sunlight behind us, and the darkness wrapped around my fur like cold, heavy blankets. Drip. Drip. Drip. Each water drop echoed like footsteps, and my imagination painted monsters in every shadow—slimy river goblins, giant rats with glowing eyes. "Talk to me," I whispered to Kirusha. "Please. So I know you're there." "What should I talk about?" "Anything! Why were you so mean to me earlier?" Kirusha was quiet for a moment, and when he spoke, his tough voice had cracks in it. "My old family... they left me at a shelter. My new human rescued me, but ever since, I've been scared that if I'm not tough, if I'm not the boss, everyone will leave me again. Being aggressive is easier than being lonely." The words hit me like a wave. "Kirusha... I'm sorry. I didn't know." "Yeah, well. Don't tell anyone. I have a reputation." But he pressed his shoulder against mine, warm and steady. "Why are YOU so scared of everything, Pete?" I thought about it as we padded through the gloom. "Because my family is my whole world. Water could take me from them. The dark could hide them from me. Losing them would be like... like the sun forgetting to rise." "Then let's get you back to your sun," Kirusha said firmly. A light appeared ahead—small at first, then growing, golden and glorious. We burst out of the tunnel together, blinking in the brightness, and I realized something astonishing: I had walked through the dark. The monsters had stayed imaginary. And somewhere in that tunnel, my enemy had become my best friend. **Chapter Six: The River's Test** But our trial wasn't over. To reach the family's scent, we had to cross a narrow floating dock that rocked gently on the water. Kirusha hopped on without hesitation. "Come on, Pete! Last stretch!" I stared at the gap between the pier and the dock—just a foot of open water, but to me it looked like the Grand Canyon. My whole body locked up. "I can't. Kirusha, I CAN'T. The water will get me!" "Look at me!" Kirusha planted himself at the edge. "Remember what you told me in the tunnel? Your family is your sun. They're waiting on the other side. The water isn't your enemy, Pete—it's just water. It's scared little thoughts that make it a monster." I heard Roman's words echo in my heart: *Courage is being scared and taking the step anyway.* I heard Mariya: *Magic in the ordinary.* I heard Lenny's laugh, warm as toast. I closed my eyes. I breathed. And I jumped. For one terrible, soaring second I flew over the shimmering water—and then my paws hit the dock, and Kirusha was cheering, "YOU DID IT! You magnificent, floppy-eared champion!" "I DID IT!" I howled with joy, and the dock rocked beneath us, and I wasn't even scared of the rocking. The water sparkled around me, and for the first time, I saw what Mariya meant—it really was wearing diamonds. The river hadn't changed. *I* had. **Chapter Seven: Found!** "PETE! KIRUSHA!" Roman's voice rang out like the sweetest music ever sung, and there he was, sprinting down the pier, his face streaked with worry and relief all at once. "ROMAN!" I launched myself into his arms, licking his face while he laughed and hugged me so tight I could feel his heartbeat. "I was so scared! We got lost in the crowd, and we went through the dark tunnel, and I JUMPED OVER WATER, Roman, I really did!" "I saw the whole last part!" Roman said, his voice thick with emotion. "Pete, I've been searching everywhere. Mom and Dad are right behind me. And you—" He looked at Kirusha, who was trying to act casual but failing miserably, his tail wagging like a windshield wiper. "You took care of my little brother, didn't you?" Kirusha shuffled his paws. "He took care of me too. In the tunnel. He's... he's alright, your brother." "He's the best," Roman said, scratching us both. Lenny and Mariya arrived moments later, and Mariya gathered me into her arms, her lavender smell wrapping around me like home itself. "Oh, Pete. We were so worried. But look at you—you look different. Taller, somehow." "I feel taller, Mom," I said, and meant it in every way that mattered. Lenny wiped his eyes and chuckled. "Well, this gives new meaning to 'pier pressure.'" "DAD," we all groaned together, and the laughter that followed was the happiest sound on the whole Hudson River. **Chapter Eight: Reflections on the Water** As the sun melted into the river in streaks of gold and rose, our family—now including Kirusha and his human—sat together on the great lawn, sharing sandwiches and stories. "So," Mariya said gently, "what did everyone learn today?" I thought for a long moment, watching the water I no longer feared. "I learned that fear is like a shadow—it looks huge, but it can't actually hold you. The dark couldn't keep me. The water couldn't stop me. And being lost couldn't erase my family, because I carry them inside me, right here." I tapped my chest with my paw. Kirusha nodded slowly. "I learned that being tough isn't the same as being strong. Strong is letting someone see you're scared... and trusting them to stay anyway." Roman smiled. "I learned that my little brother is braver than he knows. And that sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is just walk beside them, one paw step at a time." "And I," said Lenny, "learned that I should never let Pete near pigeons." He winked, then grew tender. "But truly—I learned that our family grows not by staying safe, but by facing the world together." Mariya gazed at the glittering river. "Courage, transformation, family, friendship. The water gave us all of it today. I told you the Hudson was wearing diamonds." As twilight settled and the city lights began to twinkle awake, Kirusha curled up against my side—my rival, my protector, my best friend. "Same time next week, Puggle?" he murmured drowsily. "Wouldn't miss it, short-legs," I whispered back. And as Roman's hand rested gently on my head, I knew with every fiber of my being that no water, no darkness, and no distance could ever truly separate hearts that belong to each other. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Great Adventure at Field 4 Jones Beach *** 2026-10-01T09:34:10.830381100

"*** The Great Adventure at Field 4 Jones Beach ***"🐾 ...