Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, September 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Cooper Square *** 2026-09-26T10:33:51.431498900

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Cooper Square ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Leash of Morning Morning spilled over Cooper Square like honey from a cracked jar, gold pooling on the bricks and trembling in the leaves. I, Pete the Puggle, stood at the edge of our stoop with my white velvety fur fluffed by excitement and my makeup-streaked eyes wide as moons. Lenny clipped my leash and whispered, “Adventure is just a sidewalk with courage, buddy.” Mariya laughed, touching the streak near my left eye. “And today, little comet, the city will sparkle back.” Roman crouched, tying his sneakers with heroic seriousness. “Stay close, Pete. No chasing pigeons into another dimension.” I thumped my tail. “No promises unless the pigeons promise first.” Cooper Square breathed around us: bicycles silvering past, coffee steam curling like sleepy dragons, a violinist tuning beneath the awning while pigeons argued over a pretzel. The fountain beyond the planters flung white ribbons into the air, and every ribbon landed with a sound like applause. My paws went cold. Water had always been my tall gray giant—the bath that roared, the hose that hissed, the fountain that swallowed echoes. I pressed against Roman’s shin. He felt it, because brothers always feel the tremble before the bark. “Hey,” he said softly, “we don’t have to slay every giant before breakfast.” Then came a whirl of caramel fur and attitude: Timmy, the long-haired Chihuahua, mighty as a lion trapped in a teacup. “Pete!” he declared, chest puffed. “I have defended this square from three leaves and one suspicious bag.” From behind him stepped Bruce Lee, our old friend, bright-eyed, moving as if the air politely made room. “A bag can be a worthy opponent,” Bruce said, bowing to Timmy, then to me. “But today we train the bravest muscle—the heart.” I wanted to believe him. Still, the fountain shone ahead like a dare, and my courage hid under my ribs, small and thumping. ## Chapter Two: Bruce, Timmy, and the Shining Dare Bruce walked beside us with the calm of a mountain that had learned to dance. “When I was young,” he told Roman, “I thought bravery meant never shaking. Then I learned shaking is simply the body knocking from inside, asking, ‘May I come too?’” Mariya smiled. “That is magic in an ordinary sentence.” Lenny nodded. “I once knocked from inside before asking Mom to marry me.” Roman groaned. “Dad, not the proposal joke.” Lenny’s eyes twinkled. “I was so nervous I proposed to the waiter first.” Even I giggled, though the fountain kept clearing its throat. Timmy trotted closer, his long coat rippling like a tiny banner. “Pete, watch me.” He marched to the lowest rim where droplets misted the bricks, sneezed dramatically, and spun in a circle. “Behold! I am damp and undefeated!” I laughed despite myself. Bruce knelt near me. “Fear is a doorway wearing a monster costume. Touch one bead of water. If it bites, I will apologize to it personally.” Roman held out his palm. “Together?” My heart said run; my paw, traitorous and brave, reached forward. The drop kissed my pad—cool, brief, almost shy. I yelped, then blinked. “It didn’t eat me.” “Not even a nibble,” said Mariya. A bus sighed at the curb; a vendor called out mango slices; the square glittered with ordinary miracles. I stepped nearer. The fountain sang louder, but now I heard layers beneath the roar: coins winking on the basin, children counting splashes, Timmy whispering, “You’re doing it, fluffy knight.” I dipped one paw, then another. Cold climbed my legs like curious ants. I trembled so hard my tags chimed. Roman’s hand rested between my shoulders. “Breathe with me. In like smelling dinner. Out like blowing dandelions.” We breathed. The giant remained a giant, but I was no longer crumb-sized. ## Chapter Three: The Crowd Opens Its Hands By noon Cooper Square had become a carnival of elbows and aromas—roasted nuts, hot pretzels, chalk dust, rain hiding somewhere above the roofs. A street painter swept blue across canvas until it became a river; a bubble artist released transparent planets that floated over our heads. I barked at one and it burst into nothing, leaving joy on my nose. “Even bubbles practice letting go,” Mariya said dreamily. Lenny pointed at a pretzel. “That one is shaped exactly like destiny.” Roman bought it and shared it with me while Timmy insisted destiny needed more salt. Then the crowd shifted, quick as a flock turning in flight. A skateboard clattered; a stroller rolled; someone dropped a tray of cups and the sound exploded like plastic thunder. I darted sideways. The leash slipped from Roman’s distracted hand as he reached to help. “Pete!” he called, but a wave of legs rose between us, denim and sneakers and hurried shadows. Timmy plunged after me, a comet with teeth. “Left! No, my left! Your other left!” Bruce’s voice cut through, calm and bright: “Eyes up, friends. Move like water, not panic.” We dodged beneath a bench and burst out near the old stone arch where the light thinned into violet shade. Behind us, the square roared; ahead, stairs dipped toward a shuttered underpass painted with peeling murals. My family’s voices stretched thin as rubber bands. “Lenny! Mariya! Roman!” I barked, but the city chewed my barks and swallowed them. Timmy pressed against me. “We are not lost,” he said, though his ears trembled. “We are temporarily unlocated.” Bruce scanned the crowd, face still as a lake before wind. “Then we become findable.” My fear of separation, old and toothy, curled around my belly. Being alone was not empty space; it was space that kept asking, What if they never come back? ## Chapter Four: The Underpass of Teeth The underpass mouth exhaled cool breath. Paint-flaked dragons coiled across the tiles, their eyes faded but still hungry. I hated the dark because it was a closet with no door, a blanket that forgot the bed beneath it. Timmy’s fur brushed my leg. “If dragons live here,” he whispered, “they are legally required to admire my hair.” Bruce stepped in first, not to conquer, but to listen. “Darkness is not the enemy,” he said. “It is light after bedtime. We carry a little with us.” He tapped my chest where my heart galloped. “There.” A shape skittered from behind a pillar—a raccoon, mask sharp, paws lifted, trash-bag crown rustling. It hissed, and my fear became a staircase falling away under every paw. Timmy launched forward with a ferocious squeak. “Stand down, masked bandit!” The raccoon swatted; Bruce moved—not cruelly, not wildly, but precise as punctuation. One turn of his wrist redirected the swipe; one gentle step herded the raccoon away from Timmy; one open palm stopped the air between teeth and friend. “Enough,” Bruce said, and the word itself seemed to bow. The raccoon fled with its crown, offended but unharmed. I stared, shaking. “You vanquished it without hurting it.” Bruce picked up a fallen bottle cap and set it aside so no paw would cut. “The strongest hand knows when not to close.” Then the lights above flickered out. Dark folded over us, complete as ink. I heard Timmy breathing, Bruce counting softly, my own whimper before I could catch it. Roman’s voice lived in my memory: Breathe like smelling dinner. I inhaled pretzel, rain, home. Exhaled dandelion. “I am Pete,” I told the blackness. “I am loved in the light and in the not-light.” One step. Another. The dark did not vanish, but it made room. ## Chapter Five: Roman Across the River of Noise Above us the city kept shouting its thousand shoes. I imagined Roman tearing through the crowd, calling my name until his throat burned. I imagined Mariya turning in circles, seeing magic except where I should be. Lenny would make a joke to keep everyone brave and hate himself for smiling. The thought hurt more than the dark. Separation fear is not being lost; it is believing love cannot find the address of your paws. “We climb,” Bruce said. “Slowly. Timmy between us.” Timmy tried to sound mighty. “I once climbed a sofa during thunder.” But his voice wobbled, and I loved him more for it. At the stair lip, light returned in dusty blades. A sudden fountain spray drifted over the railing, misting the exit. Water again—my old giant waiting at the gate. To reach the square we had to pass the splash gutter where runoff sheeted across stone. I froze. Dark behind, water before, family somewhere beyond both. Timmy looked up. “Pete, I am brave, but I am also very small and my hair takes hours to dry.” I almost laughed; fear loosened one finger. Bruce said, “Choose a reason bigger than the fear.” I closed my eyes and chose Roman’s hand, Mariya’s humming, Lenny’s terrible jokes, Timmy’s lion heart. I stepped into the runoff. It grabbed my ankles with cold fingers. My chest screamed run back. Instead I named each step: “One for Roman. Two for Mom. Three for Dad. Four for Timmy. Five for the Pete who is still becoming.” Water splashed my belly; I yelped and kept moving. Halfway across, a shout pierced the noise—“PETE!” Roman stood at the far curb, hair wild, eyes wet and blazing. He didn’t scold. He opened his arms like a door. I ran the last steps through spray, soaked, shaking, and leaped so hard we both stumbled backward into Lenny and Mariya, who had appeared with tears shining like medals. ## Chapter Six: Found Is a Warm Word For a moment the whole square became our living room. Mariya wrapped me in her scarf though it smelled faintly of cinnamon and bus exhaust. Lenny held Timmy under one arm and Bruce’s shoulder with the other, saying, “I knew we’d find you. I also knew I’d cry anyway.” Roman pressed his forehead to mine. “I dropped the leash,” he whispered. “I’m sorry.” I licked the salt from his cheek. “I learned the leash is not the love.” He laughed through a sob, and Timmy announced, “I require towels and praise, in that order.” Bruce bowed to my family. “Your dog crossed water in the dark to reach you.” Roman looked at me as if seeing a new constellation in familiar fur. “You did?” I nodded, embarrassed by how heroism felt less like fireworks and more like continuing to move while afraid. Mariya knelt. “Fear visited,” she said, “but it did not get to vote.” Lenny wiped his eyes. “Unless fear brought snacks. Then maybe one vote.” We laughed, and the sound stitched us back together. Around us, Cooper Square resumed its music: coins in the fountain, violin rising, chalk river glowing in afternoon sun. The raccoon watched from a safe ledge, crownless but dignified. Bruce raised two fingers in respect; it lifted one paw, possibly in truce, possibly plotting. Timmy shook water from his mane and sparkled like a tiny chandelier. “Today,” he proclaimed, “I was brave, Pete was brave, and the bag from this morning remains suspicious.” We all agreed some mysteries keep a city honest. ## Chapter Seven: Lantern Lessons at Dusk Evening poured blue over the square, and paper lanterns blinked on near the fountain for a neighborhood gathering. Their reflections floated like tame fish. We sat on the warm steps, a family knitted close by damp fur and relief. I expected to feel finished, but courage is not a trophy; it is a door that stays open, showing rooms you must enter again tomorrow. I told Roman, “I was scared the whole time.” He answered, “I know. That’s why it counted.” Mariya brushed a leaf from my back. “Magic is ordinary love refusing to leave.” Lenny leaned back on his elbows. “When I was a kid, I thought being separated in a store meant I had been erased. Then Mom found me by the cereal and I realized people can look for you with their whole lives.” His voice softened under the joke. Bruce watched the lanterns. “A punch ends a moment. Patience changes a life.” Timmy curled against my side, suddenly small. “I acted mighty because mighty sounds less lonely than scared.” I nudged him. “You were both. That’s allowed.” The fountain no longer looked like a giant. It looked like water doing its bright work, falling and returning. I walked to the edge on my own paws. Roman came beside me but did not lead. “Ready?” he asked. “No,” I said, and stepped closer anyway. Mist kissed my face. I did not love the water; I loved myself in it, trembling and present. That was the transformation: not the absence of fear, but fear learning to sit quietly while I lived. ## Chapter Eight: Home Carried in the Heart When the lanterns rose higher and the crowd thinned into gentle goodnights, we walked home through Cooper Square with our shadows braided together. Roman held my leash loosely, more promise than chain. “Tell me the scariest part,” he said. “When I thought you couldn’t find me,” I answered. “Tell me the best part.” “When you did.” Mariya squeezed Lenny’s hand. “And when Pete found himself on the way.” Lenny nodded solemnly. “Also when nobody bought the suspicious bag.” Timmy yawned, “I found myself hours ago. I am magnificent.” Bruce smiled. “Magnificence naps after victory.” At our door, the city hum softened to a lullaby of radiators and distant trains. We piled inside—wet paws, lantern-light still in our eyes, hearts scuffed and shining. Roman hung the leash where I could see it and whispered, “Tomorrow we practice fountains again, only if you want.” I wanted, which surprised me most. Mariya set out water in my blue bowl, and for once water looked like a friend offering a mirror. Lenny told one last joke—“What did the brave puggle say to the dark? You’re just daylight with the volume down”—and even Bruce laughed. We curled together, Timmy snoring like a tiny motorcycle, Bruce meditating by the window, family breathing in one shared rhythm. I thought of fear’s three faces—water, darkness, separation—and how each had shown me a hidden door: trust, breath, and the address love keeps. The lesson was simple and bright: courage is not never being afraid; it is letting love walk beside fear until fear grows smaller. Family and friends are lanterns we carry for one another, and even when we wander, being found can teach us how to shine. I closed my eyes, white fur against Roman’s sleeve, and dreamed of fountains that applauded only for brave hearts. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

***Pete the Puggle and the Magic of Jackson Square*** 2026-09-26T12:31:45.218670800

"***Pete the Puggle and the Magic of Jackson Square***"🐾 ...