Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square *** 2026-09-30T03:41:53.255292400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Big City Beckons** I pressed my wet nose against the car window, my velvety white ears flopping forward as the skyline of New York City rose before us like a forest of glittering giants. My tail thumped against the seat, but beneath my excitement, a nervous flutter danced in my belly. "Look at that, Pete!" Roman said, ruffling the fur between my ears. "Times Square! The brightest place on Earth!" "Brightest place," I whimpered softly, "means darkest shadows too, Roman." Lenny glanced back from the driver's seat, his warm eyes crinkling. "Ah, but shadows only exist because there's light, little buddy. Remember that." Mariya turned around, her smile glowing like sunrise. "Pete, my curious pup, every adventure begins with a fluttery tummy. That's how you know it's real." Roman leaned close and whispered, "I'll be right beside you the whole time. Promise." The city roared around us—honking taxis, chattering crowds, the smell of pretzels and roasted nuts drifting through the cracked window. I breathed it all in. My family was here. My pack. And somewhere in that dazzling canyon of lights, an adventure waited with my name on it, though I couldn't have guessed just how grand—and how frightening—it would become. **Chapter Two: A Friend Named Trump** We stepped out into Times Square, and the world exploded into color. Billboards taller than mountains flashed and shimmered, painting my white fur in blues and reds and golds. My makeup-streaked eyes went wide as dinner plates. Suddenly, a big, boisterous golden dog with a magnificent swoop of fur atop his head bounded over, his tag jingling. "Well, well! A new face in MY square! Name's Trump—the most terrific tour guide in all of New York, believe me!" I giggled despite my nerves. "I'm Pete. Pete the Puggle. Are you really a tour guide?" "The BEST tour guide!" Trump declared, puffing his chest. "I know every pretzel cart, every pigeon, every secret alley!" "Can you show us the fountain?" Roman asked, laughing. "Pete's been working up the courage to get near water." My ears drooped. Water. My oldest enemy. Ever since I was a tiny pup and slipped into a bathtub, water had seemed like a hungry, cold monster waiting to swallow me whole. Trump's voice softened surprisingly. "Hey, little guy. Everybody's scared of something. I used to be terrified of pigeons. True story." "Really?" I asked. "Okay, not really," he admitted with a grin. "But the fountain's beautiful. And you don't have to touch it. Just look." Mariya knelt beside me. "One paw at a time, Pete. That's all courage ever asks." **Chapter Three: The Fountain of Fear** The fountain sparkled like liquid starlight, water leaping and laughing into the air. To everyone else, it was beautiful. To me, it roared like a dragon. I froze twenty feet away, my legs trembling like leaves in a storm. My heart hammered—thump-thump-thump—louder than the city itself. *I can't. I can't. The water will grab me. It will pull me under.* "Hey." Roman's voice, gentle as a blanket. He sat right down on the pavement beside me, not pushing, not pulling. "You know what I do when I'm scared?" "What?" I whispered. "I take one tiny step. Then I stop. Then another. The fear is loudest right before it gets quiet." Lenny crouched on my other side. "And Pete—being brave doesn't mean you're not scared. It means you walk while you're scared." I looked at the fountain. I looked at my family. I lifted one trembling paw. *Step.* The water didn't leap at me. *Step.* Still safe. *Step.* Soon my nose hovered at the fountain's edge, close enough that mist kissed my whiskers—cool, soft, almost friendly. "It's... it's just water," I breathed, astonished. "It's just mist!" "You did it!" Mariya cheered, and Trump barked so loudly that three tourists applauded. I dipped one paw in—just the tip—and the water was cool and kind. The dragon was only a puddle wearing a scary costume. **Chapter Four: Laika, the Dog from the Stars** Night fell over Times Square, and the lights blazed even brighter. That's when the air shimmered beside the fountain—like heat rising off summer pavement—and a graceful dog with a silvery coat and ancient, knowing eyes stepped out of thin air. "Do not be alarmed," she said, her voice echoing like starlight on snow. "I am Laika. I traveled to space in 1957, and the cosmos gave me gifts—time itself bends for me now." I gasped. "You're the space dog! The legend!" "Legend, yes," Laika said with a gentle smile. "I sensed a brave heart conquering fear tonight. I had to come see." She touched her nose to mine, and warmth spread through me like cocoa on a winter night. "Will you adventure with us?" I asked. "For a while, little one. But beware—the night holds a shadow that feeds on fear. I have followed it through time. Stay close to your family." Trump puffed up. "A shadow monster? In MY square? We'll handle it. Tremendously." Laika's eyes grew serious. "Courage, Pete, is a light. But lights cast shadows. Remember what your father said." Roman squeezed me close. "We stick together. No matter what." But as the crowd surged—a wave of laughing people, cameras flashing—the tide of bodies swept between us. I reached for Roman, but the current of strangers pulled us apart, and suddenly the dazzling square became a labyrinth of legs and noise. **Chapter Five: Lost in the Dark** "ROMAN! MOM! DAD!" I barked, but the city swallowed my voice. Trump and Laika pressed close to me as we were pushed into a side alley where the billboards' glow couldn't reach. Darkness pooled around us like black water—my second oldest fear. My breath came in shallow gasps. *The dark will hide me forever. My family will never find me. I'll be alone, alone, alone—* "Pete." Laika's voice cut through my panic, steady as a heartbeat. "I was alone in the darkness of space. Truly alone. Do you know what I learned?" "W-what?" "That love travels farther than light. Your family's love is with you right now, in this alley. Can you feel it?" I closed my eyes. I thought of Lenny's silly jokes, Mariya's warm hands, Roman's promise. And there it was—a warmth in my chest that the darkness couldn't touch. "I feel it," I whispered. Then the shadows themselves began to move, gathering into a tall, cold shape with eyes like dying embers. The fear-shadow Laika had warned us about. "You smell deliciously afraid, little dog," it hissed. Trump stepped forward, trembling but defiant. "He's not afraid! Well—okay, he's a little afraid! But he's ALSO brave! Tremendously brave!" **Chapter Six: The Light Within** The shadow lunged, and cold washed over me like icy water. Every fear I'd ever had whispered at once: *drowning, darkness, loneliness.* But then I remembered the fountain. The mist on my whiskers. Roman's voice: *one tiny step.* I stood up. My legs shook, but I stood. "You want my fear?" I said, my voice growing stronger. "You can have it! Because fear isn't my enemy—it never was! My fear taught me to be brave!" Laika's eyes blazed like twin stars. "Now, Pete! Together!" Silver light erupted from her coat, and my own heart answered with a warmth that poured out of me like sunrise. The shadow shrieked, shrinking, dissolving into nothing more than a wisp of smoke that the night breeze carried away. "You vaporized it!" Trump yelped. "That was the most incredible thing I've ever seen, and I've seen a guy juggle six hot dogs!" Laika nuzzled me proudly. "The shadow fed on fear, Pete. But your courage—and your family's love—starved it. You did not just survive your fears tonight. You transformed them into light." I looked down at my paws, glowing faintly in the dark alley, and I understood: I was not the same pup who had trembled at the fountain. I was Pete the Puggle, and I was brave. **Chapter Seven: Found** "PETE! PETE, WHERE ARE YOU?" Roman's voice! Cracked with worry, echoing down the alley. I ran toward it, barking with everything I had. "ROMAN! I'M HERE!" He skidded around the corner, flashlight in hand, and dropped to his knees as I crashed into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, and I felt his heart pounding as fast as mine. "I promised I'd stay beside you," he whispered, his voice thick. "I'm so sorry I let go." "You didn't let go," I said, licking his chin. "The crowd pulled us. But Roman—I felt you the whole time. Right here." I touched my nose to my heart. Lenny and Mariya arrived moments later, sweeping us both into a hug that smelled like home. Lenny's eyes were wet. "You okay, little buddy?" "Better than okay, Dad. I faced the water. I faced the dark. I even faced a fear-monster—and I won." Laika dipped her head in farewell, her form already shimmering. "The stars will always watch over you, brave Pete." And with a wink, she stepped back through the fabric of time, leaving only stardust in the air. **Chapter Eight: Reflections Under the Lights** Back in the heart of Times Square, our family sat together on the glowing red steps, the lights washing over us like a warm rainbow tide. Trump lay at our feet, officially adopted as an honorary family friend. Mariya stroked my back gently. "What did you learn today, Pete?" I thought hard, watching the lights dance. "I learned that fear is like a shadow—it looks huge, but it's only the shape of something, not the thing itself. And courage isn't the absence of fear. It's walking forward anyway, one paw at a time." Lenny nodded, smiling. "And I learned that my pup is braver than a lion and cuter than a hot dog cart. And that's saying something." We all laughed. Roman pulled me close. "I learned that even when we're apart, we're never really separated. Family is a tether made of love." Trump raised his head. "I learned that puggles are the bravest dogs in New York. Believe me. The bravest. Everybody says so." As the city sparkled around us, I rested my head on Roman's lap, my heart full to bursting. I had been afraid of water, of darkness, of being lost—and I had faced them all. My fears had not disappeared; they had transformed, becoming the very roots of my courage. And through it all, my family was my light, and I was theirs. "Same time next year?" I asked sleepily. "Wouldn't miss it," Roman whispered. And under a billion lights, in the brightest place on Earth, Pete the Puggle dreamed brave, happy dreams. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square *** 2026-09-30T03:41:53.255292400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square ***"🐾 ...