Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, September 24, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the River-Brave Day *** 2026-09-24T18:04:28.741506400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the River-Brave Day ***"๐Ÿพ

## Chapter One: Leashes, Laughter, and the Green Gate Morning poured over our apartment like warm syrup, and I, Pete the Puggle, woke with my tail already drumming the rug. My white fur felt extra velvety, my eyes bright beneath the playful streaks Mariya called my “adventure sparkle.” Lenny clipped my leash and said, “Battery Park City Parks Conservancy today, Captain Pete. Gardens, river wind, and enough smells to fill a library.” Roman crouched, grinning. “Race you to the elevator, fluff-comet.” I barked, “Only if you promise not to trip over your own heroic feet.” Mariya laughed, packing water and treats. “Magic hides in ordinary leaves,” she said. “Bring your noticing eyes.” The city hummed around us—taxis sighing, bicycles chiming, pretzel carts breathing salt into the air. I trotted between Lenny’s steady shoes and Roman’s quick sneakers, feeling brave until the Hudson flashed beyond the buildings like a giant blue animal breathing. My paws stopped. The river was too wide, too shining, too alive. Roman noticed immediately. “Hey, buddy,” he whispered, kneeling so our eyes were level. “Big water looks scary when you’re small.” I tried to joke, but my voice came out thin. “I am not small. I am compact and magnificent.” Lenny’s hand rested on my head. “Magnificent is allowed to be nervous.” At the green gate of the Conservancy gardens, flowers leaned toward us as if curious. Bees wrote golden commas in the air. Mariya pointed to a bronze frog half-hidden in lavender. “See? Even statues go on quests.” I sniffed the frog and sneezed. From beneath a bench came two voices: one smooth as cream, one quick as a dropped coin. “New dog,” said the cream voice. “Brave dog,” squeaked the coin. Out stepped Tom, a gray cat with gentleman whiskers, and Jerry, a mouse no bigger than a biscuit but standing like a knight. I gasped. “Aren’t you supposed to chase each other?” Tom bowed. “Only professionally. Today we’re off duty.” Jerry saluted me. “And you look like someone about to become a legend.” I wanted to believe him. The river glittered behind the trees, waiting. ## Chapter Two: Tom, Jerry, and the Puddle That Roared Tom walked beside me with tail high, while Jerry rode in the pocket of Roman’s backpack like a tiny general. “First rule of parks,” Tom said, “never trust a pigeon wearing crumbs like medals.” Jerry added, “Second rule: courage is just fear that remembered to bring snacks.” Roman snorted. “That’s actually excellent.” Lenny nodded solemnly. “Write it down, Mariya.” She pretended to. “Under ‘Wisdom of Rodents.’” I laughed, and for a moment my fear curled smaller, like a leaf in my paw. Then we reached the children’s fountain, where water leapt from stone mouths and clapped against itself. To me it sounded like thunder practicing. My ears flattened. My whole body became a trembling question mark. Roman sat on the warm edge and patted the stone beside him. “Pete, look at me, not the water.” I whispered, “It wants to swallow my paws.” Tom circled once, thoughtful. “When I was a kitten, I feared brooms. Then I learned they were only loud grass on sticks.” Jerry hopped onto my leash. “When I fear big things, I name their smallest part. That fountain? Mostly drops. Drops are just water wearing raincoats.” Mariya dipped her fingers in and flicked a cool sparkle onto my nose. I yelped, then licked it. Everyone cheered so loudly a sparrow left the brunch line. Lenny said, “One paw.” I placed one paw near the mist. My heart kicked like a drum in a parade. “I’m doing it,” I breathed, amazed. Roman kept his hand on my back, not pushing, only present. “You don’t have to love it,” he said. “Just don’t let it choose for you.” I touched the shallow edge. Cold kissed my toes. I jumped back, then forward again. The fountain did not eat me. It sang. And something inside me, small as Jerry and bright as Mariya’s magic, stood up straighter. ## Chapter Three: The Willow Room of Shadows Past the fountain, the path curled into a green room made by willow branches. Sunlight fell through in ribbons, but beneath the leaves the shade gathered deep and blue-black. I froze again. Water was loud fear; dark was quiet fear, the kind that whispered from under beds and behind closet doors. “There are probably monsters in there,” I murmured. Tom’s whiskers twitched. “There are definitely beetles.” Jerry nodded. “Beetles with excellent posture.” Lenny smiled gently. “Dark is only light taking a nap.” Mariya stepped into the willow room first, parting branches like curtains. “Come see the ordinary miracle,” she called. Roman stayed beside me. “Want to hold my sleeve with your teeth?” he offered. I did, embarrassed but grateful. My paws made no sound on the mulch; my breath made too much. Inside, the air smelled of earth, mint, and old rain. A dragonfly stitched blue thread through the dimness. I imagined eyes everywhere. Then Jerry squeaked from my shoulder, “Name what you know.” I swallowed. “I know Roman is warm. I know Mom’s humming. I know Dad’s keys jingle. I know Tom is annoyingly handsome.” Tom purred. “Healing begins with facts.” A branch snapped. I yipped and spun, but it was only a squirrel dropping lunch. The shadows did not charge; they simply waited, and waiting lost its power. I let go of Roman’s sleeve and took three steps alone. “I am here,” I told the dark. “I am Pete. I contain breakfast and bravery.” From outside came Lenny’s laugh. “That’s my poet-pup.” When we emerged, the light felt earned, gold poured into my fur. Roman bumped my shoulder. “You walked through a shadow cave.” I lifted my chin. “The cave was rude, but educational.” Mariya kissed my head. “That’s how fear becomes a doorway.” I believed her—mostly. Enough to keep walking. ## Chapter Four: The Great Esplanade and the Wind’s Wild Story The Esplanade opened before us like a long gray ribbon beside the Hudson. Boats nodded in the marina; gulls argued with the sky. The wind rushed off the river carrying salt, diesel, pretzel, and freedom. It tugged my ears and filled my nose with tales of far docks. I pranced despite myself. “I smell New Jersey,” I announced. Tom replied, “A bold perfume.” Jerry covered his nose. “Needs cheese.” Lenny pointed toward the Statue of Liberty, small and green across the water. “She’s been greeting travelers for ages.” Mariya whispered, “Imagine all the hellos held in that harbor.” For a while I forgot fear completely. Roman and I played chase along the railing, always safe behind it, Lenny calling, “Hydration break for athletes!” We drank from a bottle cap while Tom lapped elegantly from a folded paper cup Mariya made. Jerry stood guard over a crumb as if defending a castle. “Family,” Roman said suddenly, looking at the river, “is like a leash you choose. It keeps you close, but also lets you run.” Lenny’s eyebrows rose. “Did my teenager just say something profound?” Roman shrugged. “Don’t tell school.” Then a red leaf, bright as a tiny fire engine, spun past my nose. Instinct grabbed my legs before thought could buckle in. “Mine!” I barked, darting after it. Roman shouted, “Pete, wait!” But the leaf danced under benches, around scooters, through a crowd of legs. Tom and Jerry tore after me—Tom yelling, “Unpaid chase begins!” and Jerry squeaking, “Left! No, your other left!” The world became shoes, wheels, voices, wind. When I finally caught the leaf, triumphant, I looked up and saw no Lenny, no Mariya, no Roman. Only strangers. The river gleamed like an enormous eye. My victory turned cold in my mouth. ## Chapter Five: Lost Beneath the Big Sky Panic rose in me faster than any fountain. I dropped the red leaf. “Lenny?” I barked. “Mariya? Roman?” The crowd moved like a many-legged animal that did not know my name. My leash dragged behind me, a lonely tail. Tom pressed against my leg. “Breathe, Dog-with-starry-eyes.” Jerry climbed to my collar. “Panic makes fog. Facts make lanterns.” I gulped air. Fact: ground was hard. Fact: Tom was warm. Fact: my family loved me louder than fear. We hurried toward a flower bed where Mariya had admired purple coneflowers, but the path split three ways like a trick question. A bicycle bell screamed; I bolted under a bench and found myself facing a sheet of water in a stone basin—still, dark, reflecting clouds. Not river, not fountain, but water all the same. My old terror hissed, Run. I backed away until my tail hit cold metal. “I can’t,” I whimpered. Jerry stood before the basin, tiny paws on hips. “Then don’t can. Just look.” Tom added softly, “Reflections are bullies made of light.” I peeked. In the water I saw a trembling white pup with makeup-streaked eyes—and behind him, a cat and mouse steady as statues. “We are in the mirror too,” Jerry said. “So you are not alone in the scary part.” A shout cut through the paths: “PETE!” Roman’s voice, cracked with running. Hope hit me so hard I barked before thinking. But between us flowed a stream of people crossing near the marina, and beyond them a shaded service arch yawned dark as a pocket. To reach Roman, I would have to pass both water’s edge and shadow. My legs shook. Tom leaned close. “Choose the next brave inch.” Jerry raised his crumb sword. “For family!” I chose one inch. Then another. Fear walked beside me, but no longer ahead. ## Chapter Six: The Arch, the Splash, and the Brave Inches The service arch swallowed the path in cool dusk. Inside, pipes ticked like nervous clocks and puddles held pieces of gray sky. I entered because Roman’s voice lived on the other side. “Pete! Keep barking!” he called. I answered with my whole chest. Each bark made the dark less enormous. Tom glided ahead, eyes shining. “Left pipe drips, right wall safe,” he reported. Jerry perched on my head,ๅฏผ่ˆชing like a furry lighthouse. “Puddle at two o’clock! Heartbeat at all o’clock!” I almost laughed, and laughing loosened the knot under my ribs. Then disaster wore a small disguise: a gust slammed a gate, I startled sideways, and one paw slipped into a puddle deeper than it looked. Cold seized my leg. Water—my old enemy—grabbed with icy fingers. I shrieked and thrashed. For one terrible second I was back at the fountain, back at the river, back inside every nightmare where the world drank me down. Roman’s voice came nearer: “I hear you!” Tom planted his paws. “Pull toward us, not away!” Jerry shouted, “Kick like the water is a drum!” I kicked. Once. Twice. My paw popped free with a rude splash that sprayed us all. I stood dripping, panting, alive. The puddle rippled and settled, ordinary again. “You touched the fear,” Tom said, “and it was only wet.” I stared at my soaked paw. “It was only wet,” I repeated, wonder breaking through like sunrise. Roman rounded the arch then, skidding, eyes wild until they found me. He dropped to his knees and wrapped me up, water and all. “I’ve got you,” he kept saying. “I’ve got you.” I pressed my nose into his neck and shook—not from cold now, but from the huge thing leaving my body. “I barked through the dark,” I told him. He laughed wetly. “I heard every single one.” ## Chapter Seven: Found Is a Warm Word Roman carried me out of the arch while Tom marched before us like a furry police escort and Jerry waved his leaf-sword at startled pigeons. “Clear the path! Emotional reunion approaching!” Jerry cried. Lenny and Mariya came running from the Esplanade, Mariya’s scarf flying, Lenny holding my spare treats like a first-aid kit. Mariya gathered me from Roman’s arms, then pulled Roman in too, until we were one lumpy hug with elbows and tails. Lenny put his forehead to mine. “You were lost,” he said softly, “and you were also becoming found.” I told them everything in bursts—the red leaf, the crowd, the mirror-puddle, the arch, the splash. Tom interrupted only to correct my description of his bravery. “I was majestic,” he insisted. Jerry added, “I was snack-powered and correct.” Roman admitted, “I was scared too.” That surprised me. My big brother, protector and rival, had fear hiding under his speed. He scratched my ear. “Being brave isn’t not being scared. It’s running toward the bark.” Mariya wiped her eyes and smiled at the same time. “That belongs on a mug.” Lenny nodded. “Or under wisdom of teenagers.” We sat on a bench overlooking the Hudson while the sun lowered itself gently, as if the day were tucking us in. The water no longer looked like a beast; it looked like a road made of light. I still did not want to swim in it. Courage had not made me someone else—it had made me more myself. Tom curled beside Roman; Jerry shared a crumb with me, which was either friendship or theft. “Would you chase the leaf again?” Roman asked. I considered. “Yes,” I said. “But I’d look back sooner.” Lenny raised his water bottle. “To looking back sooner.” We clinked bottle, cup, paw, and tiny mouse fist. ## Chapter Eight: Home Carries Us Back Evening painted the gardens amber and violet as we walked home, slower than we had come. The willow shadows were still there, the fountain still applauded, the river still breathed—but I had changed my relationship to all three. Fear remained possible; so did joy. I understood now that bravery is not a door you pass once, but a path you practice with paws, hands, whiskers, and crumbs. Roman kept me on the inside of the sidewalk, protective without squeezing. “You good?” he asked every block. “Mostly,” I answered honestly. “Mostly is a fine country,” Lenny said. At our building, Mariya paused before the lobby lights. “What did today teach us?” Jerry piped up, “Never underestimate cheese or brothers.” Tom licked a paw. “Style can survive panic.” Roman said, “Call out when you’re lost. Someone who loves you wants directions to you.” Lenny smiled. “And jokes help, but listening helps more.” I thought hard, feeling the day settle into my bones like warm milk. “Water is wet, dark is empty until I fill it with names, and being found starts with letting yourself be heard.” Mariya kissed my forehead. “Magic in the ordinary,” she whispered. That night, curled between Roman’s feet and Lenny’s slippers, with Tom and Jerry visiting the windowsill like moonlit uncles, I dreamed of rivers that sang instead of swallowed. Before sleep, I told my family, “Tomorrow I might be scared again.” Roman murmured, “Tomorrow we’ll be there.” And that was the lesson, brief as a heartbeat and big as the harbor: fear shrinks when shared, courage grows by inches, and family—chosen, furry, human, mouse, and cat—is the warmest way home. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great East River Adventure *** 2026-09-24T19:05:58.662767900

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great East River Adventure ***"๐Ÿพ ...