"*** Pete the Puggle and the Splash Beneath the Stars ***"🐾
## Chapter One: The Morning That Smelled Like Adventure The morning sun spilled over our Brooklyn windowsill like somebody had cracked a golden egg and let it run across the floor. I, Pete the Puggle, woke with my nose twitching and my tail already thumping before my eyes had fully opened. My white velvety fur was warm from sleep, and the little playful streaks of makeup around my eyes—Mariya called them my “storybook comets”—felt extra sparkly, as if they knew something before I did. Down the hallway, Lenny—Dad—was humming his pancake song, the one where the syrup always “accidentally” becomes a river. Mariya—Mom—stood by the window with her curious smile, watching pigeons argue over a pretzel as if they were tiny philosophers in feather coats. Roman, my older brother and sometimes rival, thundered into the kitchen with socks that did not match and announced, “Today is Chelsea Waterside Playground day! Water jets! Climbing ropes! The big slide that looks like a whale’s tail!” I froze halfway through my happy dance. Water. The word slid into my chest like cold rain under a door. I loved puddles only if they stayed shallow and polite. I loved baths only if Mariya sang and Lenny made bubble beards. But spraying fountains, dark drains, deep blue places where paws could not feel the bottom—those made my heart shrink into a trembling pea. Roman crouched beside me. “You okay, Pete?” His voice softened, protective under the teasing. “I am extremely okay,” I said, which was not true. “I merely remembered I have important napping scheduled near every fountain.” Mariya knelt and touched my cheek. “Magic often hides beside the thing that scares us,” she murmured. “Not inside it. Beside it. Close enough to visit.” Lenny flipped a pancake high. “Courage is like breakfast,” he said. “Better warm, shared, and occasionally flipped.” Roman laughed, and I almost did too—until, from the fire escape outside, came a silver jingle, like starlight learning to bark. ## Chapter Two: Laika Returns on a Ribbon of Time On the fire escape stood Laika, the mysterious female dog who had vanished into space in 1957 and returned when brave hearts needed her most. Her coat shimmered as if moon dust had been brushed through it; her eyes held tiny orbiting sparks. Around her neck hung a blue scarf that fluttered though there was no wind. Beside her, small as a pinecone and mighty as a drum, stood Timmy, the long-haired Chihuahua with fur like a lion’s mane and courage packed tight into his trembling little chest. “Pete,” Laika said, stepping through the window as though glass were only a rumor. “The water at Chelsea Waterside is awake today. It remembers old storms. It will test you.” Timmy puffed up. “And if any soggy villain tries anything, I shall bite its ankles with legendary precision.” Roman blinked. “You brought a space dog and a pocket warrior to breakfast?” “Obviously,” said Laika. “Heroes travel light but never unprepared.” I backed behind Mariya’s legs. “I don’t want the water to test me. I studied nothing. I brought no pencil.” Lenny set a plate down and looked at me with that warm, wise gaze that always made the room feel safer. “Tests in life rarely ask for pencils, Pete. They ask for breath. One breath, then another.” Laika’s voice softened. “I was afraid once, sealed inside a metal star with the whole black universe pressing its face to the window. Fear did not leave because I scolded it. It shrank because I named it.” “What did you name yours?” I whispered. “Mine was called Almost-Alone,” she said. “Yours may have a different name.” Timmy leapt onto the table, nearly into the syrup. “Mine is called Tuesday. Terrifying day. No snacks.” Roman snorted, then gently lifted me into his arms. “Whatever yours is called, Pete, we’ll meet it together.” Outside, the city gleamed, and Chelsea waited like a blue question mark. ## Chapter Three: Chelsea Waterside, Where the City Splashes Chelsea Waterside Playground rose before us in colors bright enough to make my whiskers tingle: turquoise climbing nets, yellow slides curling like lemon peels, silver poles flashing in the sun, and fountains that leapt from the ground in laughing white columns. Beyond the playground, the Hudson moved slow and grand, carrying boats, gulls, and the reflections of clouds. Children shouted; sneakers squeaked; somewhere a bubble machine spilled iridescent planets into the air. Mariya breathed in deeply. “Even concrete can bloom if enough joy lands on it.” Lenny shaded his eyes. “And if enough pigeons land on Lenny, he becomes modern art.” A pigeon immediately considered his shoulder. Roman set me down but kept one hand near my back. “Rules,” he said, half-brother, half-captain. “We stay where we can see the red umbrella. If fountains roar, we don’t have to roar back. Deal?” “Deal,” I said, though my paws had become brave only in theory. Laika trotted beside me, her paws making no sound. “Feel the ground,” she whispered. “It is honest. Water is honest too, but it speaks in motion.” Timmy charged toward the first misting arch, then skidded back. “I have scouted it! It is wet! Report complete!” A fountain burst up with a hiss, and terror shot through me so fast my legs forgot their names. I saw not water but a thousand transparent hands grabbing; I heard not laughter but a deep throat gulping. My whole body turned cold, though the sun was warm. I bolted under a bench, heart hammering like a tiny drum trapped in a closet. Roman was there in an instant, not pulling me out, just sitting cross-legged near the shadow. “Pete,” he said quietly, “look at my hand. One finger for breathe in. Two for breathe out.” Mariya’s voice floated above us, calm as a blanket. “The fountain is loud because it is playing, not hunting.” Lenny added, “Also, it has terrible aim. It hasn’t caught me once.” I peeked out. The water sparkled, cruel and beautiful. “What if it takes me somewhere dark?” I asked. Laika’s eyes gleamed. “Then we will bring lanterns made of names: Lenny, Mariya, Roman, Timmy, Pete, Laika. Speak them, and no dark can keep you.” ## Chapter Four: The First Brave Paw Roman did not tell me to stop being afraid. That mattered. Instead he took off his sneakers, rolled up his jeans, and stepped into the shallow edge where water only kissed his toes. “Cold!” he yelped dramatically. “My feet have joined the penguin army!” Timmy marched in after him, chest first, and immediately sneezed. “The penguin army rejects me! Still, I advance!” Their silliness loosened something in me. Mariya sat at the fountain’s rim and trailed her fingers through the spray. “Look, Pete. It breaks into rainbows when the sun touches it.” She lifted her wet hand, and tiny colors trembled on her skin like butterflies too small to catch. Lenny stood behind Roman, steady as a lighthouse. “No rush, pup. Brave isn’t a race. It’s a door you open from your side.” My fear had a shape now: a glassy eel coiled around my ribs, whispering, You will sink, you will vanish, you will be alone in the blue. I hated it. I also felt sorry for it, which confused me. Maybe fear was only love that had gotten lost and started barking at shadows. I placed one paw at the edge. The water touched my pad—cool, quick, alive. I yanked back. Then I tried again. This time I left my paw there while Roman counted, “In… out… in… out.” Laika leaned close, and for a second I smelled space on her: cold stars, dust, and the brave loneliness of old journeys. “When I flew,” she said, “I thought courage meant not trembling. But my legs shook the whole way. Courage is trembling that keeps walking.” Timmy shook water from his mane like a tiny heroic mop. “I tremble constantly! I am basically a maraca of valor!” I laughed before I knew I could. The sound surprised the eel around my ribs; it loosened one coil. I stepped both front paws into the shallow sheet. The fountain roared nearby, and I roared back—not loudly, just a small puggle rumble—but Roman cheered as if I had conquered an ocean. “Again?” he asked. “Again,” I said, and meant maybe, which was closer to yes than I had ever been. ## Chapter Five: The Drain That Swallowed the Sun We were playing Follow-the-Leader near the whale-tail slide when the playground changed. A cloud crossed the sun, and the fountains rose higher than before, white manes thrashing. The drain by the splash pad—a round metal mouth set into colored rubber—gurgled. To everyone else it was ordinary plumbing. To me it opened like a black pupil. The water rushing toward it sounded hungry, and the bright world tilted. Laika snapped her head around. “Something old is riding the pipes.” Her blue scarf lifted. “A shadow-fish. Fear given teeth.” From the drain puffed a plume of ink-smoke, smelling of basements, wet cardboard, and the moment after lights go out. Children did not see it, but dogs did. Timmy growled so deeply I thought a much larger animal had hidden inside him. “Back, foul puddle-goblin!” The smoke curled into an eel with lantern eyes. It whispered in my own voice: They will leave you. The dark will keep you. Water will close over your nose. I ran. Not toward the red umbrella—toward anywhere. Panic made the playground into a maze of legs and wheels and shrieking joy that was not mine. Roman shouted, “Pete!” but the fountains crashed between us. I darted through a gate left open by a stroller, scrambled down a path by the river, and plunged into the shadow beneath a pier where the boards above blocked the sun. Darkness swallowed me whole. It was not empty; it was crowded with imagined teeth. My separation fear, my water fear, my dark fear all held paws and danced around me. I could not hear Mariya’s song or Lenny’s joke or Roman’s count. I was almost-alone, Laika’s old enemy, wearing my face. Then a silver line split the black. Laika stepped through the fabric of time as if unzipping the night, and Timmy tumbled after her, sneezing heroically. “Found you!” he cried. “I’m lost,” I sobbed. “No,” Laika said, pressing her forehead to mine. “You are temporarily unlocated. There is a difference.” Above us, Roman’s voice called, muffled but coming closer: “Pete! Say my name!” ## Chapter Six: Lanterns Made of Names Under the pier, the river slapped the pilings with wet hands. Each slap said, deep, deep, deep. The shadow-eel slid between the beams, growing fat on my shaking. Its eyes were two drowned moons. “Roman will find a faster dog,” it hissed. “A braver dog. A dog who likes drains.” Timmy planted himself before me, all four pounds of fury and fluff. “Lies! I once barked at a vacuum for forty minutes and only fainted twice!” Laika’s paws glowed. “Pete, remember the lanterns. Names are doors.” I tried. “Lenny,” I whispered, and memory lit: Dad’s hands lifting me over puddles, his joke about pancakes being edible frisbees. The dark thinned at one corner. “Mariya,” I said, and there was Mom’s curious eyes finding magic in a cracked sidewalk, her warm lap after thunder. Another corner brightened. “Timmy. Laika.” Their presence answered, steady as heartbeats. The eel lunged. Laika barked once—not loud, but ancient—and a burst of silver vaporized the nearest teeth into harmless mist. Yet the creature’s body remained, feeding on the part of me still convinced I would be left. Then Roman’s voice broke through the boards above, raw with love and fear. “Pete! I’m here! I’m not leaving!” Footsteps pounded; the gate rattled; light from his phone speared down like a sword. I saw his face between the planks, flushed, wet-cheeked, furious at the world for scaring me. My separation fear screamed that he would be angry. Instead Roman dropped to his stomach, reached through the gap, and said only, “Take my hand, brother.” Brother. Not rival. Not faster dog. Brother. I placed my paw in his palm. His fingers closed gently. “In,” he said. I breathed in river-cold air. “Out.” I breathed out almost-alone. The eel shrank to the size of a minnow. Laika touched it with her nose, and it became a drop of ordinary water, embarrassed to have ever pretended to be a monster. Roman pulled me up into the sun so suddenly that the whole world flashed gold. He hugged me tight, then held me away to check my face. “You came back,” he said. “You found me,” I answered. “We found each other,” said Mariya, running up with Lenny, both breathless, both crying and laughing at once. ## Chapter Seven: The Whale-Tail Slide and the River of Yes After the shaking came snacks, because Lenny insisted courage digests better with pretzels. We sat by the red umbrella while Mariya dried my ears and Roman refused to let go of my scruff. Laika watched the fountains with ancient patience; Timmy retold the under-pier battle to a sparrow, adding three dragons that had not technically attended. “I ran,” I admitted, shame hot in my ears. “I left the umbrella.” Roman nodded. “You were scared. I’ve run from things too—mostly responsibility and once a goose.” Lenny raised a pretzel. “The goose had excellent boundaries.” Mariya smiled, but her eyes were serious. “Being found is not the same as being rescued from growing. Pete still has to choose the water again, or fear will keep the keys.” She was right. The playground sang around us, and the whale-tail slide gleamed like a challenge wearing a smile. Water sheeted down its sides into a shallow pool. Not deep. Not a drain. Just enough to splash. I walked toward it with Roman on my left and Laika on my right. Timmy marched ahead, then back, then ahead again, covering three times the distance out of enthusiasm. At the edge, the old eel-memory flickered: cold hands, black pupil, alone. My body wanted to vanish under a bench. Instead I named things. “Slide,” I said. “Sun. Roman. Wet. Safe.” Then I climbed. Each step felt like walking up the spine of my own fear and discovering it was only stairs. At the top, the city opened wide: river, masts, gulls, windows catching fire from the afternoon. Roman climbed behind me. “Ready?” he asked. “No,” I said honestly. “Ask again with your hand near mine.” He put his hand beside my paw. “Ready?” “Yes,” I whispered. We slid together into the splash. Water flew over my face, bright and shocking, and for one instant I was inside the terror—then through it. I came up laughing, snorting, alive. Roman whooped. Mariya clapped. Lenny pretended to be swallowed by a fountain and emerged with a leaf on his head. Laika’s eyes shone like two returning satellites. I had not become unafraid. I had become larger than the fear’s favorite chair. ## Chapter Eight: Home Is a River That Finds You Evening poured honey over Chelsea as we walked home along the Hudson. The water that had frightened me now carried pink clouds and the first brave stars. My fur was damp, my paws tired, my heart full in a way that felt both new and remembered—like a song I had somehow known before birth. Roman carried me partway, though I insisted I could walk, and he insisted carrying was “for his own emotional recovery,” which made Mariya laugh until she had to lean on Lenny. Timmy rode in Lenny’s jacket pocket, declaring himself Admiral of Pocket Seas. Laika walked between worlds, half with us, half with 1957, her scarf leaving faint constellations that faded when pigeons looked directly at them. At our stoop, Lenny unlocked the door and paused. “Before we enter the sacred land of couch,” he said, “what did we learn?” Timmy raised a paw. “Drains are suspicious. Pretzels are loyal.” Laika’s voice was soft as orbit. “Fear returns wearing new costumes. So must courage.” Roman scratched behind my ear. “I learned that protecting someone isn’t keeping every scary thing away. It’s standing close enough that they can hear their own brave voice.” Mariya cupped my face. “And
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment