Followers Woof Woof :)

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle at the Top of the Rock *** 2026-09-29T22:35:05.709693300

"*** Pete the Puggle at the Top of the Rock ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Great Adventure Begins** The morning sun poured through the car windows like melted honey as we zoomed toward New York City. My name is Pete the Puggle, and my short white fur was practically sparkling with excitement. My tail thumped against the seat so hard that Roman laughed. "Pete, buddy, you're going to wag yourself right out the window!" Roman said, scratching behind my ears—my favorite spot in the whole world. "I can't help it!" I barked. "We're going to the Top of the Rock! The very tippy-top of New York City! Do you think I can see our house from up there?" Lenny chuckled from the driver's seat. "Pete, our house is miles away. But you know what you *will* see? The whole city spread out like a giant toy set." Mariya turned around, her eyes twinkling. "Magic isn't about how far you can see, Pete. It's about how much wonder you let into your heart." I pressed my nose against the glass. The city rose before us like a forest of silver and stone, buildings stretching toward the clouds as if they were trying to tickle the sky. My heart fluttered with excitement—but also, if I'm being honest, a tiny worm of worry. Tall buildings meant being far from the ground. Far from the ground meant... well, I didn't want to think about it. "You okay, little brother?" Roman asked, noticing my ears droop. "I'm brave," I said, lifting my chin. "Mostly brave. Brave-ish." "Brave-ish is where all great adventures start," Lenny said with a wink in the rearview mirror. **Chapter Two: New Friends at the Fountain** When we arrived at Rockefeller Center, the plaza bustled with people, pigeons, and the delicious smell of pretzels. That's when I saw them—two dogs sitting near the big fountain. One was a stout, confident bulldog with a golden mane of fur, and the other was a tiny long-haired Chihuahua whose coat flowed like a lion's. "Hello!" the bulldog boomed. "Name's Trump. This here's Timmy, the bravest Chihuahua in all five boroughs." "I am mighty!" Timmy declared, standing on his hind legs. "Small in size, enormous in courage!" "I'm Pete!" I said. "We're going to the Top of the Rock!" "We know every corner of this plaza," Trump said proudly. "Stick with us, kid." Then I noticed the fountain. Water danced and splashed in great silver arcs, and my paws froze to the pavement. Water. Deep, splashy, unpredictable water. My whole body trembled like a leaf in a storm. "Pete?" Mariya knelt beside me. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" "The water," I whispered. "It looks like it could swallow me whole." Timmy trotted over. "Fear is just a shadow, Pete. It looks huge, but it has no teeth unless you give it some." Roman crouched down and held my paw. "You don't have to be brave all at once. Just one paw at a time. I'm right here." With Roman beside me, I took one trembling step closer to the fountain. Then another. The mist kissed my nose, cool and gentle—not a monster at all, but a soft hello. I let out a shaky breath. One fear, slightly smaller now. **Chapter Three: Up, Up, and Away** The elevator to the Top of the Rock shot upward like a rocket, and my ears popped. The ceiling glowed with lights showing our climb, and I watched the numbers rise: 30... 50... 67 floors! "We're flying inside a building!" I yipped. "Technology is its own kind of magic," Mariya said, smiling. When the doors opened, the observation deck took my breath away. The city stretched out in every direction—Central Park like a giant green quilt, the Empire State Building standing proud, tiny yellow taxis crawling below like busy beetles. "Look at that view!" Lenny spread his arms wide. "Pete, this is what I call a room with a view!" We all groaned at his joke, but we were laughing too. Trump and Timmy showed me the best spots along the glass. "From up here," Trump said, "every dog looks down at the world and feels ten feet tall." "I already feel ten feet tall," Timmy declared. "I always do." I gazed out at the horizon, and for a moment I felt like the whole sky belonged to me. My earlier nervousness melted away. Being high up wasn't scary—it was *magnificent*. Sometimes the things we fear are just wonders we haven't met properly yet. **Chapter Four: Lost in the Crowd** It happened so fast. A crowd of tourists surged toward the north viewing area, and in the swirl of legs and cameras, I lost sight of my family. Trump and Timmy were beside me, but Lenny, Mariya, and Roman had vanished into the sea of strangers. "MOM! DAD! ROMAN!" I barked, but my voice drowned in the noise. My chest tightened. Being separated from my family was my oldest, deepest fear—the one that visited me in dreams where I ran through empty streets calling names no one answered. My legs went wobbly. "Breathe, Pete," Timmy said firmly, pressing his tiny body against mine. "Panicking is like running in circles—you get tired and go nowhere." "Timmy's right," Trump said. "We're mighty, remember? We'll find them together." "But what if I never see them again?" My voice cracked. "What if—" "Hey." Timmy looked up at me with fierce little eyes. "Your Roman? He'd search the whole city for you. Families like yours don't lose each other. They just get temporarily misplaced." His words were a small candle in my dark worry. I nodded, swallowing my fear like a bitter vitamin. "Okay. Together, then." We set off through the crowd, three small heroes on a big mission. **Chapter Five: The Dark Stairwell** Our search led us to a service door that had swung open—and behind it, a dim stairwell. Trump sniffed the air. "I smell your boy, Roman. His scent went this way." The stairwell was dark. Not evening-dark, but *closet-dark*, the kind of darkness that seems to breathe. My paws refused to move. The dark had always been my nightmare country, full of imagined monsters with glowing eyes. "I can't," I whimpered. "There are things in the dark. I know there are." Timmy stood at the edge of the shadows. "Pete, let me tell you a Chihuahua secret. I am afraid of the dark too. Every single night." "You? But you're the bravest dog in New York!" "Bravery isn't having no fear," Timmy said. "It's walking into the fear while your knees shake. The dark is just the light taking a nap. And Roman's scent is in there. Your family is on the other side of this darkness." I thought of Roman—his laugh, his warm hands, the way he called me "little brother." Love, I realized, is a flashlight that fear cannot switch off. I took one step into the dark. Then another. Trump walked on my left, Timmy on my right, and together we descended, our bravery braided together like a rope. Halfway down, I realized something astonishing: the dark hadn't swallowed me. I was walking *through* it. **Chapter Six: The Water Crossing** At the bottom of the stairwell, we found a passage leading back toward the plaza—but a wide puddle from a leaking pipe blocked our path, spreading across the floor like a small dark lake. To anyone else, it was a puddle. To me, it was an ocean. "I can't swim," I gasped. "I'll sink like a stone. The water will go over my head and—" "Pete." Trump's voice was gentle. "It's two inches deep. But I know fear doesn't care about inches. Fear measures in feelings." "Remember the fountain?" Timmy said. "The mist kissed your nose. Water said hello, and you survived." I stared at the water. My reflection trembled in it—a scared little puggle with streaked eyes. But then I imagined Roman on the other side, and my family waiting, and something inside me rose up like the sun. *I am more than my fear.* "Count with me," Trump said. "One... two... THREE!" we shouted together, and I splashed through the water, paws flying, heart pounding. The water was cold and wet and—nothing more. Just water! I burst out the other side, laughing and shaking droplets everywhere. "I DID IT!" I howled. "I crossed the ocean!" "The mightiest ocean ever crossed!" Timmy cheered. **Chapter Seven: Found!** We emerged into the plaza—and there, through the crowd, I saw him. Roman, sprinting between people, calling my name, his voice cracked with worry. "PETE!" "ROMAN!" I ran faster than I had ever run, and he dropped to his knees and scooped me into his arms, holding me so tight I could feel his heartbeat drumming against mine. "Oh, Pete, I was so scared," he whispered into my fur. "Don't you ever disappear on me again, little brother." "I was scared too," I admitted. "But Roman—I walked through the dark. And I crossed water. Real water! Well, puddle water. But it felt enormous!" Roman pulled back and looked at me with shining eyes. "You did all that? By yourself?" "Not by myself." I nodded at Trump and Timmy. "I had mighty friends." Within minutes, Lenny and Mariya came running, and there were hugs and happy tears all around. Mariya kissed the top of my head. "Our brave boy," she murmured. "Brave-ish no more," Lenny said, wiping his eyes. "Just brave." **Chapter Eight: Reflections at the Top** We all returned to the observation deck together—this time holding on to one another—as the sun set over the city, painting the sky in strokes of gold and rose. We thanked Trump and Timmy, who promised to visit, and Timmy bowed like a tiny king. "So," Lenny said as we watched the city lights twinkle on below, "what did we learn today?" "I learned that fear is a shadow," I said thoughtfully. "It looks enormous, but it shrinks when you walk toward it. The water didn't swallow me. The dark didn't eat me. And being lost... well, love always finds its way home." "That's beautifully said, Pete," Mariya smiled. "Courage isn't the absence of fear. It's fear that has said its prayers and gone forward anyway." Roman ruffled my ears. "And I learned that my little brother is mightier than he knows." "Like Timmy says," I grinned, "small in size, enormous in courage!" We laughed together as the city glittered beneath us, a family wrapped in the warmest blanket of all—each other. And I knew, deep in my puggle heart, that every fear I faced had been a doorway, and on the other side of every doorway was a stronger, braver me. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle at the Top of the Rock *** 2026-09-29T22:35:05.709693300

"*** Pete the Puggle at the Top of the Rock ***"🐾 ...