Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

*** The Puddle, the Park, and the Brave Little Heart *** 2026-09-23T21:24:09.745737300

"*** The Puddle, the Park, and the Brave Little Heart ***"🐾

## Chapter One: Leashes, Laughter, and a Cloud of Doom Morning spilled over the city like honey on warm toast, and I, Pete the Puggle, stood at the door with my tail thumping so hard it nearly knocked over Lenny’s umbrella stand. My white fur had been brushed until it shone, and the playful streaks around my eyes made me look like a tiny explorer who had wrestled a rainbow and won. “Adventure day!” Roman sang, clipping my leash with a flourish. “Abe Lebewohl Park, here we come!” Lenny knelt beside me, warm as a fireplace. “Remember, Pete, courage isn’t the absence of butterflies. It’s taking them along for the walk.” Mariya tucked a blanket into the tote and smiled as if the whole world were a secret garden. “Even sidewalks have stories,” she said, “if we listen.” George, Roman’s friend from the Navy, waited on the stoop, broad-shouldered and easy-grinning, with swim goggles dangling from his backpack like silver fish. I adored George—he smelled like salt, soap, and oranges—but when he said, “Hope you’re ready for the sprinklers, sailor,” my paws turned to cold dumplings. Water. The word opened a black umbrella inside my chest. I saw myself tiny in a shining flood, ears heavy, family calling from far away. Still, I lifted my chin because heroes in stories never tremble, even though mine did like leaves in a hurry. The park greeted us with maple shade, pigeons arguing like old politicians, and children chalking suns on the path. Abe Lebewohl Park was small, tucked between buildings, but to me it was a kingdom: benches like thrones, fences like castle walls, the fountain plaza glimmering ahead. Then I heard it—the hiss and clap of water—and my brave little heart hid behind my ribs. ## Chapter Two: The Silver Roar The sprinklers leapt up without warning, silver manes shaking in the sun. Children screamed with delight; Roman whooped; George kicked off his sneakers and strode through the sparkling curtain as if walking through a beaded doorway to another world. “Come on, Pete!” Roman called, water jeweling his hair. “It’s only a splash!” Only a splash? To me it was a river wearing teeth. My memory fetched old storms: bathwater too deep, a hose that barked cold, rain drumming the windows while I searched for laps that were not near enough. I planted my paws. The leash drew tight. Mariya crouched, her eyes soft as moss. “Oh, my curious boy,” she murmured. “What is the water saying?” “It says,” I whispered, though only dogs can hear dog words clearly, “that the ground will forget me.” Lenny sat on the bench and patted his knee. “Then we’ll teach the ground to remember.” George returned, dripping and kind. “In the Navy,” he said, “we learned fear is information wearing noisy boots. Don’t let it steer the ship.” Roman offered his hand, not pulling, just present. “We’ll go one paw at a time,” he said. “I’ll be your lighthouse.” I wanted to believe lighthouses could have freckles and sneakers. I took one step. The spray kissed my nose—cold, bright, startling. I yelped backward into Lenny’s shins, and everyone laughed, not cruelly, but the sound still stung like nettles. Shame curled around me tighter than any leash. ## Chapter Three: George and the Breath of Blue George did something unexpected: he sat down in the dry grass and made himself small. “When I first jumped from a ship,” he said, “the ocean looked like a blue mouth. My instructor told me, ‘Breathe out longer than you breathe in, and name five true things.’” Roman nodded. “Five true things, Pete. Try.” I sniffed the air. “One: Mariya brought turkey treats. Two: Lenny’s socks do not match. Three: pigeons are secretly jealous of my ears.” Laughter loosened the knot. “Four: Roman is bossy but brave. Five…” My voice thinned. “Five: I am loved even when I am scared.” Mariya’s hand found my chest, counting heartbeats until mine slowed to her rhythm. “Magic,” she said, “is often just breathing with someone who refuses to rush you.” We approached the edge where droplets stitched sunlight into thread. George held his palm under the spray so it became a gentle cup. “See? Water can be fierce, but it can also be a fountain, a bath for sparrows, a mirror for clouds.” I touched one paw to the wet stone. Cold zipped up my leg; I almost fled. Then Roman stepped into the shallow edge and stood ankle-deep, making himself a bridge between dry safety and shining terror. “Look at me,” he said. “Not past me.” His eyes were steady brown lamps. I put a second paw down. The water did not swallow me. It only sparkled, rude and beautiful, around my toes. ## Chapter Four: The Gate That Ate the Noon By afternoon the park had changed costumes. Shadows stretched like taffy; the chalk suns faded; a breeze carried pretzel salt and leaf-dust. Lenny went to find the water fountain for humans, Mariya followed a butterfly that seemed to know poetry, and George jogged to the corner for ice pops, leaving Roman and me near the gate with a warning: “Stay put, explorers.” But a squirrel—gray, glossy, insultingly athletic—darted past with an acorn big as a secret. Instinct lit my paws before wisdom could bark. I lunged; the leash slipped; Roman grabbed air and then my collar, but the gate swung as a stroller rolled through and we were nudged into the bright current of the sidewalk. “Pete! Wait!” Roman shouted, yet a delivery bike hissed between us like a metal wasp. The city became a orchestra with too many drums. Buses sighed, heels clicked, voices towered over me. My separation fear—older than baths, deeper than sprinklers—rose black and velvet: what if family was a warm room I could never find again? I ran three blocks, turned, and saw only strangers’ knees. Roman’s voice came faint, then gone, swallowed by traffic. I dove back toward the park gate, but it looked different from outside, all bars and angles. Panic made the world tilt. Then I remembered George’s five true things, though my throat was full of thorns. “One: I smell Mariya’s lavender on my collar. Two: Lenny jokes badly but finds dogs excellently. Three: Roman never stops looking when he loves.” I pressed my nose to the ground and chose the scent that felt like home. ## Chapter Five: Dark Under the Sycamores Evening arrived earlier than expected, sliding purple between the buildings. Roman found my trail but lost me again when I squeezed beneath a bench after the squirrel, straight into a shadowed grove of sycamores at the park’s edge where the lamps had not yet woken. There the dark was not empty; it was crowded with imagined eyes. Every branch became an arm; every trash bag hunched like a sleeping bear. My old fear of the dark unfolded its wings: perhaps night was a mouth, perhaps stars were holes, perhaps if I barked no one would come because sound died after sunset. I froze, too scared to whimper, while above me leaves applauded a wind I could not see. Then a small voice said, “You’re shaking loud enough to scare the worms.” It was George, crouched at the grove’s edge, phone light off so he wouldn’t blind me. He had come back with ice pops, seen the commotion, and followed Roman’s shouts. “Don’t fight the dark by punching it,” he said softly. “It’s bigger than your paws. Make one candle inside and guard it.” “What candle?” I asked. “The memory of being found,” George answered. “In the Navy, night water was black as ink. We tied ourselves to buddies and sang badly.” He began an off-key sea song, ridiculous as a duck in boots. I laughed once, a spark. The dark did not vanish, but it stepped back, offended by joy. I crept toward his voice, each paw a decision, until his hand closed gently on my harness. ## Chapter Six: The Fountain Trial George led me toward the plaza where the fountain now glowed under early lamps, water lit from below like liquid moonlight. “Shortcut,” he said, “but only if you’re ready.” To reach the far gate where Lenny and Mariya were searching with a park ranger, we had to cross the shallow rim where water sheeted over stone. My old terror hissed: slip, sink, vanish. “I can’t,” I said, and hated the smallness of it. George sat on the rim, unbothered by wet shorts. “Then don’t can’t for one minute. Can for one minute.” Roman appeared across the fountain, breathless, hair wild, eyes shining with relief and fear. “Pete! Stay with George! I’m coming around!” But a crowd of teenagers surged between us, and for one terrible second his face disappeared. Separation, water, dark—all three wolves circled. I felt the puppy I had been, the dog I was, and the braver creature I might become standing nose to nose inside me. Mariya’s voice floated from somewhere: “Magic in the ordinary!” Lenny’s whistle cut through, offbeat and dear. I looked at George. “Name true things,” he said. “One: Roman is looking. Two: fountains are not oceans. Three: my family is a pack, and packs find.” I stepped onto the rim. Water curled around my ankles, cold and alive, trying to tug me into old stories. I breathed out longer than in. Step. Step. The stone was slick; I slid, yelped, and George’s hand steadied—not lifting, only reminding. Halfway across, courage stopped feeling like fireworks and became a lantern: small, warm, enough. ## Chapter Seven: Roman’s Lighthouse Roman reached me just as my back paws scrambled for dry stone. He dropped to his knees, careless of the soaking, and wrapped me in arms that smelled of grass, sweat, and panic turning into relief. “You absolute noodle,” he laughed into my neck, crying a little too. “Never sprint after squirrels with criminal acorns again.” “I was brave,” I said, “and also very not brave.” “Exactly,” Roman replied. “That’s the recipe.” George saluted with a melting ice pop. “Ship recovered. Crew soggy. Morale high.” Around us the park exhaled; lamps bloomed; the fountain changed from monster to music. Lenny and Mariya hurried in with the ranger, and Mariya’s hands were on my face before words arrived. “Oh, Pete,” she whispered, checking paws, ears, heartbeat. “You listened to the world and came back.” Lenny hugged Roman first, then me, then George all at once, a clumsy family sandwich. “I told a joke to the ranger while searching,” Lenny said. “It was so bad she found you faster to make me stop.” Even the ranger smiled. We sat on the bench as night settled gently, no longer a mouth but a blanket with holes for stars. Roman kept one arm around me; George shared towels from his seemingly bottomless bag; Mariya produced turkey treats like a magician; Lenny declared the bench “the official throne of Sir Puddles the Brave.” I corrected him—“Pete”—but wagged anyway, because titles are less important than laps. ## Chapter Eight: Home Is a Pack Before leaving, we walked once more past the sprinklers, now quiet silver threads under lamplight. I did not love the water; love was too large a leash. But I no longer mistook it for an ending. “Tomorrow,” George said, “we practice floating in a kiddie pool. Navy style: snacks after.” Roman groaned, “He’ll outswim us all,” and I heard pride tucked inside the tease. Mariya watched the fountain mirror the sky. “Today had teeth,” she said, “and still it gave us gifts.” Lenny nodded. “Fear knocked; Pete answered with company.” Roman squeezed my shoulder. “I learned being protective doesn’t mean holding tighter every second. Sometimes it means standing in the water so your brother knows where the shore is.” I thought of the dark grove, the gate, the shining rim, and how courage had not roared but whispered: one paw, one breath, one true thing. “Family,” I said in my dog-deep way, and George translated with a grin, “is not never losing each other. It is learning the ways back.” We all grew quiet, the good kind, like snow before anyone steps in it. Under the park sign, Abe Lebewohl’s letters caught the last light. We were damp, tired, sticky with ice pop, and entirely together. The lessons were simple and brief: breathe through fear; name what is true; let friends be lighthouses; come home with gentler eyes. Bravery, I decided, is love wearing muddy paws. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Golden Waters of Amster Yard *** 2026-09-23T22:11:10.460550300

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Golden Waters of Amster Yard ***"🐾 ...