"*** The Puggle Who Found His Brave at Centennial Gardens ***"🐾
Chapter 1: The Morning of Wiggles I woke before the sun had fully stretched its golden arms across our yard, my tail thumping against the blanket like a tiny drum announcing the parade of a brand-new day. My name is Pete the Puggle, and my fur is as white as the first snowflake that ever dared to fall, soft as a whispered secret. Today, my eyes—rimmed with playful streaks of makeup that make me look like a mischievous artist—sparkled with extra mischief because Lenny, my wise and silly dad, had promised an adventure. “Pete, you fluffy comet!” Lenny boomed from the kitchen, his voice warm like toast slathered in honey. “Centennial Gardens and the Bird Sanctuary await! Grab your courage and your wiggle!” I bounded down the hall, nails click-clacking like tap shoes on the wooden floor. “Courage packed, Dad! Wiggle at maximum wag!” I skidded into Mariya’s legs, and she scooped me up, her laughter bubbling like a spring brook. “My little explorer,” Mariya murmured, her curious eyes twinkling. “Do you hear the birds already rehearsing their welcome songs?” Roman, my older brother and sometimes rival, leaned against the doorway, grinning. “Bet I spot the rarest bird before you, Pete. Loser does the dinner dishes.” I yipped playfully. “Challenge accepted, Roman! My nose is sharper than a hawk’s gaze!” As we piled into the car, the world outside blurred into ribbons of green and gold. My heart fluttered like a caged sparrow—excited, yet a tiny shadow of worry lurked. Water. Dark. Being alone. Those old fears curled in my belly like sleeping snakes. But with my family near, the snakes stayed quiet. Chapter 2: Gates of Wonder The gates of Centennial Gardens rose before us like the entrance to a fairy kingdom, wrought iron twisted into shapes of blooming flowers and soaring birds. The air smelled of damp earth and roses brave enough to bloom in the morning chill. My paws hit the gravel path with a joyful crunch. Lenny spread his arms wide. “Welcome, adventurers, to a place where every petal tells a story!” Mariya knelt beside a cluster of lavender, inhaling deeply. “Pete, smell that? It’s like the garden is breathing peace into us.” I sniffed, the scent tickling my nose. “It smells like purple dreams, Mom!” Roman raced ahead, pointing. “Look! The Bird Sanctuary trail! Last one there’s a scaredy-cat!” My paws froze. Scaredy-cat. The words stung sharper than a thorn. I wasn’t scared of birds. But the trail ahead wound toward a shimmering pond, and beyond that, the woods grew thick and shadowy. My tail tucked. Lenny noticed, kneeling beside me. “Hey, buddy. What’s the matter?” I whispered, “The water… it looks so big. Like it could swallow me whole.” Lenny’s hand rested on my head, steady as an oak. “Fear is just a door, Pete. On the other side is a new room in your heart. We’ll open it together.” Mariya added softly, “And even if you tremble, trembling paws can still walk forward.” Roman jogged back, his usual teasing softened. “I’ll stay right beside you, little bro. No bird is worth seeing if you’re not there to race me.” Chapter 3: Timmy, Tom, and Jerry Near the pond’s edge, where cattails swayed like green flags, we met three unlikely friends. First came Timmy, a long-haired Chihuahua whose fur flowed like a tiny lion’s mane and whose bark was bigger than his body. “Halt, strangers!” Timmy declared, standing tall on a rock. “I am Timmy, the brave and mighty guardian of this pond!” I giggled despite my nerves. “I’m Pete. That’s quite a bark for a small package.” Timmy puffed his chest. “Size is just a rumor. Courage is the truth!” Then, from the reeds, emerged Tom, a friendly gray cat with whiskers like delicate paintbrushes. “Don’t mind Timmy. He thinks he’s a dragon in a dog suit.” A tiny voice squeaked from a lily pad. “And I’m Jerry! The brave mouse who outsmarts Tom every day!” Jerry stood on hind legs, whiskers twitching with pride. Tom rolled his eyes fondly. “One day, Jerry, I’ll catch you. But today, we have guests.” Roman laughed. “A cat, a mouse, and a mighty Chihuahua? Best day ever!” Mariya smiled. “The garden truly is magical.” Lenny winked. “Magic plus friendship equals adventure.” But my eyes drifted back to the pond, its surface rippling like liquid glass. My fear whispered, What if you fall in? What if the current pulls you away? Timmy noticed my stare. “First time facing the water?” I nodded, ears drooping. Timmy hopped down. “Then let’s face it together. Brave hearts don’t wait for fear to leave. They walk with fear and show it who’s boss.” Chapter 4: The Water’s Challenge The pond gleamed under the sun, deceptively calm. To me, it was a vast, hungry mouth. My paws felt glued to the earth. Roman crouched beside me. “Pete, remember when you were scared of the vacuum cleaner? You barked at it until it became your noisy friend.” I whimpered. “This is different. Water moves. It breathes.” Lenny tossed a small stick near the shore. “One step. That’s all. We’re right here.” Mariya’s voice was a gentle breeze. “The water holds reflections, Pete. Look—see the sky? It’s just the sky taking a bath.” I inched forward. The first touch of water on my paw sent a shiver up my spine like icy fingers. “It’s cold! It’s alive!” Timmy splashed in beside me, fearless. “Feel that? It’s just tickles from the pond!” Tom added, “I hate water, but even I know it’s more scared of us than we are of it.” Jerry squeaked, “Courage is like cheese—better when shared!” Roman stepped into the shallows, holding out his hand. “Come on, Pete. I’ve got you.” I took a breath that tasted of roses and mud. One paw
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment