"*** The Puggle Who Learned the River’s Song ***"๐พ
**Chapter One: The Breeze at Pier 63** The morning arrived like a golden retriever bounding through the sky—bright, eager, and impossible to ignore. I, Pete the Puggle, stood at the edge of Hudson River Park with my white velvety fur fluffed by the breeze and my makeup-streaked eyes narrowed in heroic concentration. Pier 63 stretched before us, all wooden planks, dancing shadows, and river smells that tickled my nose: salt, tar, pretzel carts, pigeon feathers, and adventure. Lenny adjusted his cap and said, “Pete, today the Hudson is going to teach us something.” I wagged once, then froze. Beyond the railing, the river moved like a giant dark animal breathing in its sleep. Roman crouched beside me, grinning the way only an older brother can—half challenge, half promise. “You’re not scared of a little water, are you?” I lifted my chin. “Scared? Me? I am merely respectful of large wet things.” Mariya laughed softly and tucked a blue bandana around my neck. “Magic hides in ordinary places,” she said, “but only if you look twice.” Kirusha, the Jack Russell Terrier with lightning in his paws, shot past us and barked so sharply my ears folded. “Slow-paw!” he snapped. “The pier belongs to brave dogs!” I barked back, “And brave dogs do not steal sunlight!” We circled each other, tiny rivals under a huge sky. Then Bruce Lee arrived—yes, that Bruce Lee, actor, legend, and old friend of the family—wearing simple clothes and a calm smile that made the pigeons quiet down. “A good adventure,” he said, bowing to Mariya and Lenny, “begins with honest fear.” I gulped. Honest fear? Mine was already doing somersaults. The river slapped the pier posts. Somewhere a ferry groaned. Roman placed his hand on my head. “Stay close,” he whispered. I wanted to say, Of course. Instead my paws whispered a different truth: the water was wide, the day was wide, and I felt very small. **Chapter Two: Kirusha’s Challenge and the First Splash** Kirusha declared himself Captain of Pier 63 before breakfast had even settled in my belly. “I know every plank!” he boasted, launching onto a bench. “I know every gull! I once chased a bagel into the wind and caught only respect!” I trotted after him, trying to look unconcerned while my eyes kept sneaking toward the glittering drop beyond the rail. “Respect tastes bland,” I said. Kirusha spun, teeth flashing. “Say that again, fluffy face!” We bumped shoulders, growled, then both pretended we had meant to dance. Roman sighed. “You two fight like cymbals in a parade.” Lenny pointed toward the lawn where families unfurled blankets. “Contest,” he announced. “First team to find three treasures: something round, something brave, and something that tells time.” Mariya’s eyes sparkled. “Ordinary magic,” she said. Bruce Lee nodded. “And no pushing near the edge.” He looked at me as if he had heard my heart knocking. I found a bottle cap—round. Kirusha found a feather from a gull with attitude—brave, he claimed. Roman found an old clock face near the stones, its hands frozen at twelve. “Noon forever,” he said. “Lunch o’clock!” Lenny cheered. For one shining moment, even Kirusha and I were on the same team. Then the ferry horn blasted. I jumped. My back paws skidded; my front paws flew; the world tilted blue. Splash! Cold swallowed me whole. The Hudson was not water—it was a thousand icy hands shouting my name. I thrashed, seeing bubbles, pier legs like black trees, and Kirusha’s furious face above. “Pete!” Roman shouted. A hand reached. A leash looped. Bruce Lee moved faster than fear, steadying Roman as Roman hauled me up by the bandana. I coughed river and dignity onto the planks. Kirusha stopped barking. For the first time, he looked at me not as a rival, but as a dog who had almost disappeared. **Chapter Three: The Trembling Inside My Fur** I shivered so hard my whiskers played tiny drums. Mariya wrapped me in a towel printed with suns. “You’re safe,” she murmured, but inside my chest a dark staircase spiraled down. The water had shown me its teeth. Worse, everyone had seen me fall. Lenny knelt, warm eyes level with mine. “Courage isn’t the absence of shaking,” he said. “It’s shaking and still listening for the next right step.” I wanted to believe him, but the river kept roaring in my ears though we stood far from the rail. Roman sat cross-legged beside me. “I get scared too,” he admitted. “When you fell, my stomach became a fish.” Kirusha paced in a tight circle. “You fell wrong,” he muttered. “You should fall with more style.” His voice was rough, but he nudged the towel closer around me with his nose. I blinked. “Was that kindness?” “Absolutely not,” he said, grooming his paw. Bruce Lee sat quietly, watching sunlight break into coins on the Hudson. “When I was young,” he said, “I practiced one kick ten thousand times. Not because my leg was weak, but because my mind needed to trust it.” He touched two fingers to my chest. “Your fear is loud. Make your breath louder.” I tried. In—like smelling Mariya’s cinnamon tea. Out—like fogging a winter window. Again. The trembling loosened by one thread. Roman whispered, “We’ll go slow. Rail first. Then look. Then maybe paws near the edge.” My internal voice wailed, Never again! But another voice, small as a puppy in a blanket, said, The river sang before it scared me. Mariya lifted my chin. “Magic,” she reminded me. I looked twice at the water. It was still huge. Still shining. Still waiting. **Chapter Four: Lost Beyond the Lawn** By afternoon, Pier 63 had swollen with people—rollerskaters ribboning past, musicians tuning brass, kites tugging at the sky. Lenny bought pretzels; Mariya photographed light on railings; Bruce Lee demonstrated balance by standing on one foot while children applauded. Roman tossed a soft ball for Kirusha and me, and for eleven glorious throws we forgot our feud. Then Kirusha barked at a skateboard, I barked at Kirusha, a gull screamed like a tiny general, and the ball bounced under a roped walkway toward the quieter stones. “Mine!” Kirusha shouted. “Mine-adjacent!” I cried, and we charged after it. The crowd became a forest of legs. Smells multiplied: sunscreen, hot dogs, river mud, drum skin, orange peels. I called, “Roman?” but a trumpet swallowed my voice. Kirusha darted left; I darted right; suddenly the bright lawn vanished behind a wall of shrubs and maintenance carts. The path narrowed. Shadows pooled under benches though the sun still shone. My old fear of being separated rose like black water. Family was my leash, my heartbeat, my four-legged compass—and now every direction smelled wrong. Kirusha’s bravado thinned. “I meant to come here,” he lied. “This is my secret office.” We found the ball beside a locked gate beneath the pier’s shoulder, where the light turned green and the boards overhead thumped with footsteps we couldn’t see. Darkness gathered early there, thick as wet wool. I froze. The dark had always seemed like a mouth to me; now it breathed. “Pete,” Kirusha whispered, no longer snarling, “are you afraid of shadows or of what they hide?” I thought of Roman’s hand, Mariya’s songs, Lenny’s jokes, Bruce Lee’s stillness. “Both,” I said. “But mostly I’m afraid of being alone inside them.” Kirusha pressed his shoulder to mine. “Then don’t be alone.” **Chapter Five: The Dark Under the Boards** Under the pier, the Hudson spoke in a lower language—glug, knock, hiss. Chains clinked. A plastic bottle drifted like a lost moon. Every plank above us carried footsteps that might be Roman or might be strangers. I imagined the family searching, then imagined them not searching, then scolded my imagination for being a bad puppy. Kirusha growled at a crab scuttling over stone. “Fight me, shell goblin!” The crab ignored him, which somehow made him braver and angrier. “We should stay,” I said. “We should go,” he said. We both knew lost dogs who wander become more lost. A wave slapped close; spray kissed my paws. My water fear returned wearing the dark as a cloak. I saw again the bubbles, the black pier legs, the cold mouth. My legs folded. Kirusha snapped, “Stand up!” then softer, “Please.” That please undid me. Brave Kirusha, aggressive Kirusha, was scared too. I remembered Bruce Lee’s breath lesson and Roman’s confession: even heroes have fish-stomachs. I inhaled river, exhaled thunder. “One plank at a time,” I said. Kirusha nodded. “I’ll insult the shadows. You count breaths.” It was the worst plan and therefore perfect. We moved along the stones, keeping the wall on our right and the water on our left but not too near. “Shadow!” Kirusha barked at a pile of rope. “Be defeated by my noise!” I counted: four in, six out. The darkness stopped being a mouth and became a room we could cross. At the far edge, a strip of sunset glowed like a door left open. Then we heard it—Roman’s voice, cracked with calling: “Pete! Kirusha!” Hope hit me harder than the splash had. But between us and that voice lay a narrow beam over black water, slick and shining. **Chapter Six: The Beam Over Black Water** The beam was no wider than Lenny’s boot, a temporary plank bridging stones to the open pier. Below, the river churned around pilings, hungry and silver. Roman stood beyond it, flashlight in hand, face pale with relief and fear. “Stay there!” he called. Then, seeing us tremble, he changed. “No—Pete, look at me. Not the water. Me.” Kirusha bunched to leap, but I blocked him. “Together,” I said. He bristled. “I don’t need—” “I do,” I admitted. His ears softened. “Fine. But if we fall, I’m biting the river.” Roman stepped onto the beam despite Bruce Lee’s distant shout to wait. My heart split: joy that he came, terror that he might slip. He balanced, arms out, and the beam bowed. “Remember when you learned stairs?” he called to me. “You cried at step two. Then you conquered the whole staircase and barked at the top like mayor.” I laughed, and the laugh loosened the fear. Behind Roman, lights bobbed—Lenny’s voice, Mariya calling my name, Bruce Lee moving silent and sure along the stones. Family was coming like sunrise. I placed one paw on the beam. Water breathed beneath. The dark leaned close. Separation whispered, You are small. Courage answered, Small is still a size. Kirusha pressed behind me, not pushing now, anchoring. “If you freeze,” he said, “I’ll call you fluffy face forever.” “Motivation accepted,” I whispered. Step. Breath. Step. Roman’s eyes held mine like lanterns. Halfway across, a wave struck the piling; the beam shivered; I saw the cold again. “Pete,” Roman said, “I’ve got you.” I believed him before my paws did. Then my paws believed too. We crossed into light. **Chapter Seven: Bruce Lee and the River’s True Face** Roman wrapped around me so tightly I squeaked, then grabbed Kirusha too, which earned him an indignant nip that turned into a lick. Lenny arrived breathless, jokes gone, eyes wet. “Never again,” he said, then laughed because relief makes odd sounds. Mariya kissed the top of my head and whispered, “Magic found you, but oh, my heart.” Bruce Lee stood between us and the water, not posed like a movie hero, just present—feet rooted, breath calm. When a loose tarp snapped in the wind and Kirusha lunged barking, Bruce simply turned his palm; the tarp settled as if embarrassed. A gull swooped for Kirusha’s found feather, and for a moment it looked like a foe with wings. Bruce Lee smiled. “Not every enemy needs vanquishing,” he said. “Some need redirecting.” He tossed a pretzel crumb far from us; the gull followed. Kirusha stared. “You defeated hunger with snacks.” “The oldest martial art,” Bruce replied. We all laughed, and the sound traveled over the Hudson brighter than brass. I looked at the river that had terrified me. It was not kind, exactly. It was powerful, indifferent, beautiful—a mirror too big for one face. Kirusha sat beside me, shoulder to shoulder. “You crossed first,” he said. “You breathed first,” I answered. “You barked at shadows.” “You counted.” We nodded solemnly, then ruined it by wrestling in the sand until Roman pulled us apart. Bruce Lee watched the sun lower. “Fear is a teacher with a harsh voice,” he said. “Today it taught Pete three lessons: water can be entered slowly, darkness can be walked through, and love is worth calling toward.” My chest filled, not with pride exactly, but with room—room for the river, the dark, and every voice that had called me home. **Chapter Eight: Lanterns, Lessons, and the Long Walk Home** Evening poured honey over Pier 63. The lamps came on one by one, each a small tame star. We sat on the lawn with pretzel salt on our fingers and river wind combing my fur. Lenny had an arm around Mariya; Roman leaned against me; Kirusha, miracle of miracles, slept halfway against my other side after declaring he was “only resting his eyelids for strategy.” Bruce Lee told a quiet story about failing a scene again and again until stillness taught him more than force. “The hand opens,” he said, “when the heart stops clenching.” Roman looked at me. “When I couldn’t find you, I kept hearing every bad thing at once.” I nudged him. “I kept hearing you before I heard you.” He smiled. Mariya said, “I learned that ordinary magic can be too exciting.” Lenny nodded. “And I learned my jokes are useless until everyone is safe; then they are extremely necessary.” Kirusha opened one eye. “I learned Pete falls without style but returns with courage.” I barked softly. “I learned Kirusha fights everyone because he’s afraid no one will stay.” He huffed, but did not move away. As we walked home along Hudson River Park, the water kept singing, no longer a monster but a mighty neighbor I would greet from a respectful distance—until slowly, someday, maybe closer. The dark followed at the edges, yet lanterns and footsteps and family made it only evening. I understood then that courage had not erased my fears; it had taught them manners. Love did not keep me from getting lost; it taught me how to be found. And friendship, even prickly friendship, could become a bridge. Moral: breathe, stay together, look twice for magic, and let fear make you braver—not smaller. *** The End ***
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment