"*** The Puggle Who Learned to Shine in Father Duffy Square ***"🐾
## Chapter One: The Square of a Thousand Blinking Suns The morning we reached Father Duffy Square, the city rose around me like a forest made of glass, taxis, and thunder. I, Pete the Puggle, pressed my velvety white paws to the pavement and felt the whole place humming through my claws—honking horns, pretzel carts hissing steam, cameras clicking like bright little beetles. Above us, enormous screens poured color onto the streets until even my makeup-streaked eyes felt painted by neon. “Easy, adventurer,” Lenny said, resting Dad’s warm hand on my shoulders. “New places are just old friends wearing louder shoes.” He winked, then added, “Though these shoes could use a smaller bill.” Mariya knelt beside me, curious as always, holding a paper map that kept folding itself into a paper crane. “Look, Pete,” she whispered, “the statue of Father Duffy stands right there, and the red steps glow like a ruby staircase. Isn’t it magical how a city can make a living room out of sky?” Roman bumped my shoulder with his sneaker. “Bet you can’t stay brave for one whole hour,” he teased, protective under the grin. “Stick close, fluff-nose. If a pigeon challenges you, I’ve got your back.” I wagged hard, though my belly fluttered. Puddles from last night’s rain shone between the crowds, each one reflecting a tiny sky I did not trust. Water had always seemed to me like a mirror that might bite. Then an old man in a black coat turned from the ticket booth, silver hair combed neat, eyes sharp as movie lightning. “Well, bark my boots,” said Charles Bronson, our family’s very old friend. “If it isn’t Pete, the bravest face since my final close-up.” ## Chapter Two: Charles Bronson and the Promise of Red Steps Charles moved like age had only made him more deliberate—every gesture trimmed of waste, every smile carrying a stuntman’s balance. He greeted Lenny with a forearm clasp, kissed Mariya’s hand with old-fashioned courtesy, and gave Roman a nod that said, I see you, young guardian. To me he offered one gloved finger. I sniffed leather, dust, rain, and peppermint. “Charles!” Mariya laughed. “You said you were retired from adventure.” “Retirement,” Charles said, “is a word directors use when they run out of sequels.” He tapped his cane, and I heard a secret click inside—probably a prop gadget, probably harmless, definitely thrilling. “Father Duffy Square is a fine set. Crowds, lights, wind between towers. Perfect for teaching a pup that fear is only an uninvited extra.” I puffed my chest. “I am not afraid,” I said, in the voice I use for dragons and vacuum cleaners. A taxi splashed a curb-puddle, and I leaped backward into Roman’s legs. Roman steadied me. “Sure,” he murmured. “Very fearless. Almost knocked me down with courage.” Lenny crouched so his eyes were level with mine. “Pete, brave isn’t the absence of wobble. Brave is wobbling forward anyway.” His voice wrapped around me like a blanket fresh from the dryer. Mariya pointed toward the red steps shining above the square. “Let’s climb together. We’ll count each step, and at the top we’ll make a wish for the day.” Charles leaned close. “When the lights rise, kid, don’t fight the tremble. Use it. Trembling means your engine’s on.” I looked at the watery mirrors, the dark alley mouths between buildings, the millions of shoes that could carry me away from my family. My heart beat like a drum in a parade. Still, I put one paw on the first red step. ## Chapter Three: The Fountain That Roared Like a Small Sea By midday the square had become a carnival without a fence. A street drummer made buckets thunder; a dancer spun near a fountain where water leaped and fell in silver ropes. To everyone else it was music. To me the fountain was a small sea with teeth, clapping itself against stone. Spray touched my nose, cold as a ghost’s kiss, and I froze so hard my ears felt starched. Roman noticed first. “Hey,” he said softly, dropping beside me while the others bought roasted nuts. “It’s just water showing off.” “It moves,” I whispered. “It has too many hands.” He didn’t laugh. That mattered. He dipped two fingers into the mist and held them out. “One hand,” he said. “Then yours.” Lenny called over, “Son, if Pete needs a minute, the minute is ours.” Mariya nodded, her eyes full of that ordinary magic—trust, patient as bread rising. Charles watched the crowd, cane angled like a quiet sword, keeping space around us without making a fence of us. Roman sat on the fountain’s rim. “When I was seven, I hated the deep end,” he said. “Dad didn’t throw me in. He stood at the bottom with his arms up and made me laugh until jumping felt less like falling.” Lenny raised both arms from the path. “Still available for dramatic catches!” I crept closer. The fountain roared; my reflection broke into pieces, then gathered back. I touched one paw to the wet stone. Cold. Real. Not a bite. Roman’s hand stayed near, not grabbing, just a lighthouse shaped like a brother. “Again,” he said. I pressed the paw down. Spray jeweled my white fur. The square cheered for someone else, but I borrowed it. ## Chapter Four: Lost in a River of Shoes Trouble arrived politely, wearing a green balloon. A child cried out as the balloon escaped, and the crowd turned like one huge animal. A tour group surged; a delivery bike hissed; Charles pivoted to shield an elderly couple; Lenny reached for Roman; Mariya called my name through a sudden canyon of elbows. I darted after what I thought was Roman’s blue shoelace and found instead a stranger’s boot, a curtain of coats, then noise with no family in it. “Roman!” I barked, but the square swallowed my voice and handed back echoes. For three terrible breaths, separation felt bigger than water and darker than night. My chest became a locked room. Every face was a door that did not open. I remembered Mariya saying cities are living rooms, but this living room had grown mouths. I ran under a scaffold into shadow, where the neon could not reach, and the dark leaned close smelling of wet cardboard and metal. Then I heard Charles’s whistle—three notes from an old action film, the signal he’d taught us at picnics: freeze, listen, answer. I froze. Listened. Beneath the drums: Roman shouting, “Pete! Red steps! Count!” I answered with the bravest squeak-bark ever squeaked. A man in a mascot head blocked me; a grate exhaled steam; somewhere a bottle broke. Fear said, Hide forever. Courage, small as a match, said, Light one step. I remembered the fountain: cold, real, not a bite. I remembered dark was only light busy elsewhere. I dashed toward the three-note whistle, slipping on spilled soda, righting myself, crying Roman’s name with my whole puppy body. ## Chapter Five: The Alley of Shadows and the Lantern Voice The alley behind the square was narrow as a held breath. Trash bags hunched like sleeping bears; fire escapes made black stitches across the bricks; a puddle at the far end reflected one red sign so it looked like blood on a mirror. I hated that alley. I hated how the dark pressed my ears flat and told me my family had become a story I invented. “Not true,” I told the dark, because sometimes a pup must scold a room. “Lenny tells jokes. Mariya finds magic. Roman finds me. That is truer than you.” A clang jumped from behind a dumpster. I yelped, then heard Charles: “Steady, kid. Shadows are loud because they’re empty.” He entered with his cane raised, not to strike but to measure the space, eyes reading exits like lines in a script. Behind him came Mariya, breath quick, and Lenny holding the lost green balloon by its ribbon. Charles knelt, old knees cracking like ice on a pond. “Rule one,” he said. “Never outrun your fear into a worse room. Rule two: if you do, stop and make the room answer.” He tapped the cane; a tiny flashlight bloomed, warm gold rather than white. Darkness, touched by that small sun, became only an alley again—damp, awkward, ordinary. Mariya gathered me close, her heartbeat racing into my fur. “Oh, Pete, I’m here. We’re here.” Lenny tied the balloon to my collar “so even sky can’t misplace you,” he said, voice trembling under the joke. I licked his wrist, ashamed and relieved. “I ran toward the wrong lace.” “Then we practice finding the right voice,” Lenny said. From the alley mouth came Roman’s whistle, closer now, cracking with panic and hope. I answered before fear could close my throat. ## Chapter Six: Roman Finds the Match in the Dark Roman burst into the alley like weather that had decided to become a person. His hair was wild, his cheeks streaked with city dust, and his eyes found mine with such force that the whole narrow place seemed to exhale. “Pete!” He slid to his knees and wrapped me up, arms shaking, laughing and scolding at once. “You impossible, magnificent, muddy little comet.” “I counted,” I whispered into his jacket. “I counted voices like steps.” He pulled back enough to look at me. “I heard you. Man, I heard you over everything.” Charles gave a satisfied grunt. “Good rescue. No bullets, no explosions, one balloon. My kind of finale.” Mariya smoothed Roman’s hair while still holding me. “We were all frightened,” she said. “Fright is not failure. It is love moving too fast.” Lenny nodded, then ruined the tenderness beautifully: “Also, I charged a pretzel as a distress beacon. Ate the evidence.” Even Charles laughed. The sound loosened the alley’s shoulders. But beyond us the fountain still thundered, and evening was coming; the square’s lights would make puddles into black glass. Roman saw me glance toward the water. “One more bridge,” he said. “Not because you must prove anything. Because you already know the way.” We walked back together, me between Roman and Mariya, Lenny ahead clearing a path with Dad-shaped confidence, Charles behind like a closing door no danger could reopen. At the fountain’s edge, wind threw spray across my face. I flinched, then leaned into it. “Again,” Roman said, and this time the word was mine too. ## Chapter Seven: The Brave Bath of Neon Rain The challenge came as sunset poured honey and blue fire over Father Duffy Square. A sudden shower swept through—city rain, warm from rooftops, drumming umbrellas and turning every light into a wet star. Tourists squealed; vendors covered carts; the red steps shone slick as candy. Water was everywhere now, not one fountain but the whole sky practicing fountains. My old terror rose wearing many costumes: the fountain’s hands, the alley’s mouth, the crowd’s river, the dark waiting under scaffold stairs. I felt separation even with hands on me, the way thunder can live inside after lightning leaves. “I don’t want to be brave again,” I admitted. “I used my brave.” Mariya cupped my cheeks. “Then we lend you ours until yours returns.” Lenny opened his arms to the rain. “Family policy: nobody weather-proofs their heart alone.” Charles removed his black coat and spread it over my back like a cape from a film where the hero is small and the city is large. “Props help,” he said, “but the stunt is yours.” Roman stepped into the shallow runoff racing along the curb. “Pete, look. It’s moving, but it’s going somewhere. So are we.” He held out his hand. I placed my paw in his palm. One step: cold. Two: splash. Three: the rain wrote silver lines down my makeup streaks and did not erase me. I barked at the fountain, at the alley, at every puddle that had ever pretended to be a mouth. The square flashed; strangers cheered; Father Duffy’s statue seemed to bless the noise with patient stone. I was wet, trembling, and entirely unswallowed. ## Chapter Eight: Wishes on the Red Steps We climbed the red steps as the shower softened into mist. At the top, Father Duffy Square spread below us in rivers of gold, scarlet, electric blue; taxis flowed like bright fish; umbrellas bloomed and closed; the fountain kept time while screens painted clouds across steel. Charles stood beside Lenny, two kinds of strength sharing a railing. Mariya held the map-crane that had become a soggy bird. Roman kept one hand on my back, not because I needed holding, but because some touches are how brothers say, I know. Lenny cleared his throat. “Report from Dad headquarters: today contained one lost balloon, zero lost people, and a pretzel of destiny.” Mariya smiled through damp lashes. “I learned magic is not the absence of fear. It is the decision to hold hands inside it.” Charles tapped his cane gently. “In movies, heroes win because the camera loves them. In life, you win because somebody whistles three notes and you answer.” He looked at me. “Kid, fear made you quick. Love made you loud. Keep both, but let love drive.” Roman nudged me. “You found my voice in the dark. I’ll find yours anywhere.” I thought of water opening like a door instead of a jaw, darkness turning from enemy to unlit room, separation teaching me the exact sound of home. “I was scared,” I said, “and scared was not the end of me.” We made our wishes—Lenny for laughter that outlives trouble, Mariya for eyes that keep finding light, Roman for always hearing the right bark, Charles for one more good rescue, mine for every trembling pup to discover engines inside their shaking. Moral, brief as a tail-wag: courage is borrowed before it is born; family is the lighthouse; fear shrinks when named aloud. *** The End ***
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment