Followers Woof Woof :)

Sunday, October 4, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Brave Blue Day at Shore Road Park *** 2026-10-04T21:43:24.213886600

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Brave Blue Day at Shore Road Park ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Leash of Morning The morning smelled like toast, sunscreen, and possibility. I, Pete the Puggle, stood by the door with my tail drumming the floor like a tiny parade. My white velvety fur had been brushed until it shone, and the playful streaks around my eyes made me look like a pirate who had joined a circus. Lenny—Dad—crouched beside me, tying my red leash with fingers warm as fresh muffins. “Ready, Captain Pete?” he asked. “Today Shore Road Park learns your name.” I barked so brightly the keys jingled. “I was born ready! I shall sniff every breeze, greet every squirrel, and absolutely not look at the giant wet monster called the bay.” Mariya—Mom—laughed and tucked a blue bandana around my neck. “The water isn’t a monster, little heart. It’s a mirror that learned to move.” Roman, my older brother and sometimes rival, leaned against the wall pretending not to smile. “If Pete sees one wave, he’ll hide inside Dad’s shoe.” “I will not!” I said, though my paws felt suddenly made of pudding. Outside, the street glittered after last night’s rain; puddles held pieces of sky like broken treasure maps. In the car, windows down, wind combed my ears into wild flags. Lenny hummed, Mariya pointed at clouds shaped like whales, and Roman whispered, “Stick with me, okay?” I pressed my nose to the glass and watched Shore Road Park rise ahead—green lawns, silver paths, gulls scribbling white letters across blue air. Brave, I told myself. Brave is just fear wearing a bandana. But when the first far-off shimmer of water flashed between trees, my brave bandana felt very small. ## Chapter Two: Kirusha of the Thunder Bark The park opened before us like a storybook someone had shaken awake. Children flew kites, bicycles chimed, and the grass gave off that crushed-green perfume that makes every dog believe in heaven. I trotted between Lenny’s steady steps and Mariya’s curious ones, while Roman scouted ahead like a knight in sneakers. Then came a bark sharp enough to split sunlight. From behind a bench burst Kirusha, a Jack Russell Terrier with brown patches, wild eyebrows, and the courage of ten lions stuffed into a suitcase. “Mine!” Kirusha declared, planting himself before a red ball as if it were a kingdom. “This path, that stick, possibly the cloud—mine!” I puffed my chest. “I am Pete, adventurer of this family, and clouds belong to everyone with eyes.” He circled me, all spark and sneer. “You walk like a marshmallow with opinions.” Roman laughed; I glared. “And you bark like a doorbell with muscles.” Kirusha lunged—not to bite, but to bluff—and I bluffed back until our noses almost touched and both our tails betrayed us by wagging. Mariya knelt, voice soft as moss. “Oh, look. Two brave hearts pretending to be thunderstorms.” Lenny offered Kirusha’s owner a nod and said, “Maybe they’re just introducing themselves loudly.” Kirusha snatched the ball, dropped it at my paws, then growled when I touched it. I growled too, though mine sounded like a squeaky toy learning opera. Beneath his thunder I heard something familiar: fear dressed as noise. “Are you scared too?” I asked. Kirusha snapped, “Never!” But his ears flicked toward the water, where waves clapped like giant hands, and I understood. Rivals, yes. Also mirrors. ## Chapter Three: The Silver Path and the First Wave We followed the silver path where bicycles whispered past and old oaks held shade like open umbrellas. Beyond the grass, the bay breathed in and out, blue-gray and enormous. My legs shortened at the sight. Water had always seemed to me like a thirsty animal—beautiful from far away, but with tongues that grabbed ankles. Roman noticed before anyone. He slowed until our shoulders brushed. “Hey,” he murmured, “you don’t have to be a waterfall today. Just stand near the sound.” “I am standing,” I said, though my belly nearly touched the earth. A wave curled, glassy and green, then fizzed white across the sand. I yelped and hid behind Lenny’s calf. Lenny didn’t pull me forward; he simply became a tree. “Courage isn’t a leash, Pete,” he said. “It’s a door you open from the inside.” Mariya crouched and held a shell to my ear. “Hear that? The ocean is telling you it has edges. Everything scary is bigger before you know its shape.” Kirusha trotted by with his red ball and barked, “Marshmallow melts!” Something hot rose in me—not anger exactly, but a small coal of wanting. Wanting to chase gulls with Roman. Wanting to answer Kirusha without shaking. Wanting the wet shining world not to be off-limits. I put one paw forward. The sand was cool and forgiving. Another paw. A wave rushed in, touched my toes, and fled. I screamed-barked, then looked down. I was still me. Roman cheered so loudly three pigeons resigned from the sky. “Again!” he said. I shook like a drum, but I whispered, “Again.” ## Chapter Four: Kites, Secrets, and a Snack Betrayal By noon the park had become a carnival of ordinary wonders. Lenny spread a blanket beneath a tree whose leaves flickered like green coins. Mariya unpacked sandwiches cut into triangles, because triangles, she insisted, taste more adventurous. Roman and I played tug with a rope until we both fell over dramatically, grass in our teeth. Even Kirusha hovered near, pretending he wasn’t interested in our crumbs or our family. “I don’t need snacks,” he announced, staring directly at cheese. “Then close your eyes,” Roman said, tossing him a corner. Kirusha caught it midair and acted insulted by his own happiness. We all laughed, and for a moment the day felt stitched together perfectly—sun above, family around, rival almost-friend at the edge of the blanket. Then a kite string snapped somewhere; a red kite dove like a startled bird, children shouted, a bicycle bell rang too close, and the red ball rolled down the slope toward the bushes. Kirusha bolted after it. I bolted after Kirusha because rivalry is a leash too. “Pete, wait!” Roman called, but the wind stole his voice and turned it into ribbons. I followed the flash of white-brown fur through a gap in the hedge, under a fence shadow, into a narrow service path lined with rustling reeds. The laughter behind us faded as if someone had lowered the volume of the world. Kirusha stopped, ball forgotten. “This isn’t the park,” he said, and for once his bark had no armor. My nose, usually a brave detective, found only mud, salt, cat print, crow, oil, and unknown. My heart began knocking from inside. “We go back,” I said. But the path forked into three dark mouths, and every one looked like a mistake. ## Chapter Five: The Dark Under the Day We chose wrong twice. The path narrowed; reeds leaned close and whispered secrets with dry tongues. A culvert yawned beneath the path, black as a pocket inside midnight. I had feared water, yes, but darkness was worse—darkness could be anything. It could hide the end of the path, the teeth of shadows, the sound of my family calling while I ran the wrong way. My breath came in small broken biscuits. “I can’t,” I told Kirusha. “The dark is a mouth.” Kirusha, trembling so hard his spots seemed to blur, lifted his chin. “Then we bark at it.” He stepped into the culvert first, which shocked me more than the dark. “If monsters exist,” he said, “they should know I’m annoying.” A laugh escaped me, tiny but real, and it lit a candle in my chest. I followed. Inside, water dripped like slow clocks. Our eyes adjusted; the black became gray, then shapes: round walls, a ribbon of sky far ahead, our own shadows walking beside us like loyal ghosts. “My family,” I whispered, and separation fear rose huge—what if Lenny’s jokes went unheard? What if Mariya found magic in an empty blanket? What if Roman blamed himself forever? The thought was a wave taller than the bay. I sat down hard. Kirusha pressed his shoulder to mine. “When I was little,” he admitted, “I barked at everyone because being left felt like falling. Loud is warmer than alone.” I looked at him—rival, thunder, mirror—and said, “Then we’ll be loud together.” We howled, yipped, sang terrible dog opera into the tunnel until the far circle brightened. Step by step, breath by breath, we made the dark smaller by walking through it. ## Chapter Six: The Creek That Learned Our Names Beyond the culvert lay a hidden creek feeding toward the bay, narrow but quick, flashing over stones like spilled mercury. To reach the park side, we had to cross. The old terror returned wearing blue armor. Water slid around rocks, grabbed at light, made sounds like many mouths applauding. My legs locked. “No,” I said. “It will take my paws. It will take my name. It will take me from them.” Kirusha, brave-until-water, backed away too. “I hate wet,” he confessed. “Wet is cold teeth.” Then I heard Roman—far, muffled, but unmistakable—shouting, “Pete! Kirusha!” Love cut through panic like sun through storm. I remembered Lenny’s door, Mariya’s shell, Roman’s shoulder. I remembered the first wave touching my toes and leaving me alive. “We don’t leap,” I said, mostly to myself. “We learn its edges.” I touched the creek with one paw. Cold shocked me; I gasped but did not vanish. Another paw. The current pushed, rude but not murderous. “Stone to stone,” Kirusha said, suddenly focused. “Like hopping over arguments.” We crossed slowly, naming each stone after something brave: Dad-Joke Rock, Mom-Magic Rock, Roman-Finds-Us Rock, Kirusha-Isn’t-So-Bad Rock. Halfway, I slipped; water hugged my chest and the world became silver roar. Kirusha clamped gently onto my bandana—not biting me, saving me—and hauled backward while I kicked toward a root. We collapsed on the far bank, soaked, shaking, alive. I looked at my dripping paws and felt transformation not as fireworks but as warmth spreading from within. The water had touched me. I had not disappeared. “Again?” Kirusha panted, eyes bright. “Absolutely not,” I said, and we both wagged. ## Chapter Seven: Roman in the Reed-Light We followed the creek upward, muddy and triumphant, until the reeds thinned and the ordinary park sounds returned like friends who had been searching the house for us. A gull screamed; somewhere a grill sizzled; a child cried over dropped ice cream and was comforted. Then Roman burst through the tall grass, backpack crooked, hair wild, face arranged into the exact expression of someone trying not to cry by being angry. “Pete!” he shouted. “You—why would you—don’t ever—come here!” I ran so fast my body became a comma of joy. Roman dropped to his knees and wrapped his arms around my neck, smelling of sunscreen, sweat, and brother. “I looked everywhere,” he choked. “I kept thinking, Pete is scared of water, scared of dark, scared without us, and I wasn’t there.” I pressed my forehead to his. “You were,” I said. “You were in my paws.” Kirusha approached slowly, ears low. “I took the ball,” he muttered. “I started it.” Roman scratched behind Kirusha’s ears. “You also stayed with him. That counts bigger.” Lenny and Mariya arrived with the park ranger, breathless and shining-eyed. Mariya gathered me into her lap as if I were both puppy and miracle. Lenny’s voice cracked into a smile. “Well, Captain, you found the long way home.” I wanted to explain everything—the forked paths, the culvert mouth, the creek’s cold teeth, Kirusha’s brave bark—but first I leaned into Roman and listened to his heartbeat slow. Around us the park glowed late-afternoon gold; every blade of grass seemed to lean closer, curious. Kirusha sat at my side, no longer barking. When a breeze lifted our fur together, it felt like the world exhaling relief. ## Chapter Eight: The Circle of Almost-Evening Back at the blanket, sandwiches were rescued, water bowls filled, and towels became capes of honor. Lenny declared, “Today Pete discovered that fear is a bad GPS: loud, confident, and often wrong.” Mariya wrapped the blue bandana, now muddy, around her wrist like a keepsake. “And Kirusha discovered enemies can be practice friends.” Kirusha pretended to nap, but his tail thumped when I dropped half my cheese beside him. “I still fight you tomorrow,” he whispered. “Good,” I whispered back. “Best friends need sparring.” Roman held my paw between his hands. “When I couldn’t find you,” he said, “I learned love can feel like panic. But when I heard you bark from the tunnel, love turned into direction.” I thought of the dark shrinking, the creek naming stones, the first wave fleeing my toes. “I used to think brave dogs were empty of fear,” I said. “Now I think brave dogs are full of fear and still walk.” Mariya’s eyes shone. “That is the magic in the ordinary.” Lenny nodded. “Family isn’t never losing each other. It’s learning how to call, listen, cross, and come back.” As the sun lowered, Shore Road Park turned honey-colored; the bay softened from monster to breathing mirror, and even the shadows lay down politely. We packed slowly because leaving joy requires ceremony. Kirusha touched noses with me—once, fierce, final, friendly. I climbed into the car between Roman and the window, tired in the good way, as if every fear had been a staircase and I had climbed all day. Before sleep took me, I heard Dad hum, Mom laugh, Roman whisper, “Tomorrow?” and I answered with one sleepy wag. Courage grows when shared; love is the loudest bark; home is the path back. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Brave Little Puggle of Owl's Head Park *** 2026-10-04T21:53:53.748288300

"*** The Brave Little Puggle of Owl's Head Park ***"🐾 ...