Followers Woof Woof :)

Friday, October 2, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 *** 2026-10-02T22:38:59.520435700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Smell of Salt and Pancakes Morning came tumbling through our window like a golden ball, and I, Pete the Puggle, chased it down the hallway with my nails clicking like tiny castanets. My white fur was still puffed from sleep, and the playful streaks Mariya called my “adventure makeup” felt extra bright, as if even my eyes knew today would matter. Downstairs, Lenny was flipping pancakes shaped suspiciously like continents. “Ah,” he said, pointing with the spatula, “we shall eat Australia first, then sail to Pier 44 Waterfront Garden before the seagulls unionize.” Mariya laughed into her tea, warm as sunlight in a cup. Roman leaned against the counter, trying to look too old for excitement, but his sneakers were already tied. “Pete,” Roman said, crouching so we were nose to nose, “waterfront means waves. Big, splashy, sneaky waves. You ready?” My tail gave one brave wag and then hid under my belly. Water had always seemed to me like a giant blue mouth that licked the edges of the world. I loved puddles. I tolerated baths. But the bay? The bay breathed. “I am ready-ish,” I said, which made Lenny nod solemnly. “Ready-ish is the front porch of ready.” Mariya tucked a blue bandana around my neck and whispered, “Magic often wears the disguise of an ordinary Saturday.” I wanted to believe her. I wanted to be the hero of my own story instead of the pup who trembled at sprinklers. Outside, the city sparkled after rain; every taxi window held a little sky. As we drove toward Pier 44, I pressed my nose to the glass and watched bridges stitch land to land. Roman drummed the seat and said, “If you get scared, look at me. I’ll be your lighthouse.” Lenny added, “And if Roman gets scared, he’ll pretend he was inspecting the horizon.” “I heard that,” Roman said. Mariya smiled at all of us like we were three candles she had lit. I did not know then that courage is not a roaring lion; sometimes it is a small dog climbing into a car while his heart shakes like a leaf in a storm. ## Chapter Two: Kirusha’s Thunder, Tom’s Whiskers, Jerry’s Grin Pier 44 Waterfront Garden rose before us in ribbons of flowers, wooden planks, white rails, and water flashing like a million fish wearing mirrors. The air tasted of salt, popcorn, roses, and rope. Children’s kites tugged at the clouds. Then—bark! bark! BARK!—a Jack Russell shot from behind a planter, all muscle and opinion, ears like exclamation points. “This is MY pier!” he shouted. “I am Kirusha! I guard the crumbs, the benches, and the dramatic entrances!” I barked back before I could stop myself. “Well, I am Pete, and I dramatically enter wherever breakfast is!” We circled, stiff-legged, two tiny generals arguing over a kingdom of gulls. From a bench came a silky yawn. “Must you two rehearse thunder before noon?” A gray cat stretched into an elegant comma. “Tom,” he introduced himself, “professional napper, part-time philosopher.” A small brown mouse popped from his shoulder, fearless as a spark. “Jerry,” he squeaked. “Brave mouse. Occasional cheese consultant.” I blinked. “Aren’t you two supposed to chase each other?” Tom examined his claws. “We retired from slapstick. Too many falling anvils.” Jerry nodded. “Now we do conflict resolution and snack acquisition.” Kirusha growled at me, but his tail betrayed him with a half-wag. “Puggle,” he said, “you have soft paws.” “And you have loud feelings,” I replied. Roman laughed so hard he nearly dropped the leash. Lenny, Mariya, and Roman spread a blanket near the railing while I tried to look casual near the edge, where the bay slapped the pier pilings. Each wave said, Come closer, little dog, and I will show you how small you are. My paws turned to four cautious candles. Kirusha noticed and puffed up. “Scared?” “No,” I lied. “I’m conserving bravery.” Tom opened one green eye. “Fear is honest. Lying is exhausting.” Jerry scampered down the bench and offered me a crumb as if knighting me. “Start with the railing,” he said. “Heroes love railings.” I touched one claw to the wood and felt the pier hum beneath me like a cello string. ## Chapter Three: The Blue Mouth After lunch, Lenny rented a little pedal boat shaped like a swan that had seen things. “Family voyage!” he announced. Mariya clapped. Roman lifted me toward the seat, and suddenly the water was everywhere—under, around, breathing against the hull. My body became a drum. I saw the dark between planks, the green-black depth where sunlight drowned. “I can’t,” I gasped. “The blue mouth will swallow the swan, then us, then my bandana, and bandanas are expensive emotionally.” Roman held me closer. “Then don’t look at the mouth. Look at my eyes. Count my freckles.” “You have seven,” I whispered. “Eight when I’m nervous,” he said, and I laughed despite myself. Mariya dipped her fingers in the bay and let drops fall like tiny bells. “Water is not only a mouth, Pete. It is also a road. It carries boats, moonlight, seeds, stories.” Lenny pedaled slowly. “Courage, son, is often just choosing which voice to obey: the wave that says danger, or the love that says hold on.” Kirusha ran along the pier beside us, barking, “If you fall in, I will rescue you aggressively!” Tom called from shore, “I will supervise from dryness.” Jerry stood on Tom’s head like a captain. “Small strokes!” he squeaked. “Big heart!” I put one paw over the edge. The swan rocked; my soul filed a complaint. Then Roman placed my paw on his chest. “Feel that? Thump-thump. Same as yours. We’re both scared sometimes. Mine just hides behind sunglasses.” I breathed in salt and out a tremble. The water did not become harmless, but it became smaller than our togetherness. “Pedal,” I said. The swan moved. The bay opened like a page, and for the first time I did not read only teeth there—I read reflections of clouds, ribbons of light, and my own face looking back, surprised to be brave. ## Chapter Four: Separated by a Ribbon of Wind Back on land, the garden had turned festive. Lanterns were being hung for evening, paper moons waiting for their fire. A magician made scarves vanish; a violinist coaxed silver from wood; somewhere a bubble machine declared war on gravity. I chased one bubble, then another, Kirusha racing beside me, both of us snapping at rainbows. “Mine!” he barked. “Shared custody!” I yipped. Tom strolled after us with Jerry riding like a general. “Do not,” Tom said, “follow the bubble over the—” But wind, that playful thief, lifted a whole bouquet of bubbles toward the ferry gate, and we four idiots of glory followed. The crowd thickened into legs, bags, strollers, music. I spun back toward the blanket and saw only strangers where Lenny’s laugh should be. “Roman?” I called. A horn swallowed my voice. “Mariya! Lenny!” Kirusha’s bravado cracked. “I know every bench, but the benches have moved.” “Benches don’t move,” I said. “Then fear rearranged them,” he snapped, and for once we did not fight. Tom’s fur rose. “Stay close. Panic makes poor maps.” Jerry climbed a post and squeaked, “I see three hundred humans and zero Roman freckles!” My chest became a room with all the doors slamming. Separation was not like losing a toy; it was like the world forgetting my name. We ducked under the railing to escape trampling shoes and slipped down a service ramp into shadow. Behind us the pier sang; ahead lay crates, ropes, and the dark belly beneath the boardwalk. I froze. Darkness had always been my second enemy, a velvet sack over the head of the world. “I can’t go in there,” I whispered. Kirusha stepped in front, trembling but fierce. “Then we go together. I bark at dark every night. It has not yet apologized.” Tom’s eyes glowed green. “Dark is only light waiting to be found.” Jerry squeezed my paw. “And you are very findable, Pete.” So into the under-pier we went, four heartbeats pretending to be an army. ## Chapter Five: Under the Boardwalk, Where Fear Has Teeth Beneath Pier 44, the world became wet wood, barnacles, dripping echoes, and long black corridors between pilings. Above us footsteps boomed like giants walking on our ceiling. Green water sloshed through gaps, carrying ribbons of reflected sun that vanished before I could hold them. Every creak sounded like a thought I did not want to think. My fear of dark unfolded its wings: What if night lives here all day? What if the shadows are a pack? What if my family searches the bright places while I become a rumor below? Kirusha pressed his shoulder to mine. “If shadows are a pack,” he muttered, “we outnumber their manners.” A rat—large, theatrical, and deeply offended—rushed from a crate. Kirusha exploded into barks; I barked too, mostly because courage is contagious and so is screaming. Tom leaped with ballet fury, and Jerry, brave as a thumbnail-sized lion, shouted, “Left! He’s emotionally left!” The rat fled, dropping a French fry of great significance. We all froze, then laughed the shaky laugh of survivors. “You see?” Kirusha said, panting. “I protected you.” “You screamed highest,” I said. “Strategic soprano,” he replied, and our rivalry bent, almost imperceptibly, toward friendship. Deeper in, the ramp forked. One path smelled of open air; the other of fuel and cold. My paws chose wrong, drawn by a glimmer that was only a broken bottle kissing light. A loose board tilted; I slipped toward black water with a yelp. Kirusha clamped my bandana in his teeth, Tom hooked my collar with one extended claw, and Jerry pulled my ear like a tiny rope. “Not today, bay!” Kirusha growled through fabric. They dragged me back, all of us collapsing in a heap of fur, whiskers, and relief. I looked at the Jack Russell who had fought me all morning. “You saved me.” He looked away, embarrassed by tenderness. “I save my enemies. It confuses them.” “Are we still enemies?” I asked. His tail thumped once. “Pending.” ## Chapter Six: Lanterns, Barking, and the Lighthouse Boy Above, sunset poured orange honey over the pier. We found a maintenance ladder, but the first rung was beyond my jump. Fear returned wearing separation’s face: Roman might pass ten feet away and never know. I imagined Mariya lifting every leaf, Lenny asking each lamppost, Roman running until his shoes smoked. “I should have stayed,” I said. “I should have been braver faster.” Tom sat beside me, tail wrapping us both. “Growth is not a staircase, Pete. It is a tide. It comes in, goes out, and still changes the shore.” Jerry nodded. “Also, we have a plan. It is only mostly ridiculous.” The plan was Jerry’s: climb the rope to the lantern line, chew through the ribbon holding a red paper lantern, and drop it as a signal. “A mouse with a mission,” he said, vanishing upward. Kirusha and I barked in rhythm—two short, one long—our accidental anthem. Tom added a yowl so elegant it deserved a tuxedo. For minutes nothing answered except gulls and waves. Then, faint as hope learning to walk, came Roman’s voice: “Pete? PETE!” I barked until my throat sparkled. “Roman! Down here! Your freckles are needed!” A red lantern drifted down like a falling heart. Then Roman’s face appeared at the railing, flushed, wild-haired, beautiful as rescue. “Hold on!” he shouted. He lay flat, reached under the gap, and his hand found mine—well, my paw—while Lenny and Mariya came running with a maintenance worker and a flashlight bright as captured noon. Light spilled into the under-pier, and the dark shrank into ordinary shadow. I cried then, not because I was weak, but because being found makes the body honest. Roman pulled me up first, hugging me so hard my fear squeaked. “You looked for the light,” he whispered. “No,” I said into his shoulder. “You brought it.” ## Chapter Seven: The Almost-Night and the Brave Small Things They lifted Kirusha, Tom, and Jerry after me, though Tom insisted he had “allowed” it. Mariya wrapped me in her cardigan; Lenny pretended he had only been calmly asking seagulls for directions; Roman would not let go of my scruff. Around us the first lanterns bloomed, gold and rose and blue, turning Pier 44 into a garden of floating moons. “We searched everywhere,” Mariya said, voice trembling like a leaf that refuses to fall. “I asked a bubble if it had seen you,” Lenny admitted. “It popped. Guilty conscience.” I nuzzled them all, drunk on belonging. Kirusha sat at a proud distance, pretending not to want praise. Roman offered him a piece of pretzel. “You kept him going, didn’t you?” Kirusha chewed with dignity. “He is annoying. I intend to annoy him for many years.” I bumped his shoulder. “Best enemies?” “Best friends,” he corrected quickly, then barked at the sky to recover his reputation. Tom accepted a sardine from Mariya as tribute. Jerry stood on Lenny’s shoe and delivered a speech: “No mouse, dog, cat, boy, mother, or father is too small to be a lighthouse.” Lenny wiped his eyes and blamed pollen, though the evening was flowerless. When full dark came, I felt my old fear stir at the edges. The night was vast, ink poured over the world. But now lanterns hung above me, my family breathed beside me, and my new friends leaned close like commas keeping my sentence from ending. “The dark is still big,” I told Roman. “Yes,” he said. “So are you, somewhere inside.” I watched reflections tremble on the water and understood that fear does not vanish; it changes jobs. It stops being a jailer and becomes a guard dog that must learn when to hush. I put my chin on Roman’s knee. “Tomorrow,” I said, “remind me I was brave today.” ## Chapter Eight: Reflections in a Paper Moon We stayed until the garden softened into music and lantern glow. On the walk home, I rode in Roman’s arms even though I was perfectly capable of walking, because sometimes bravery needs a carriage. Mariya held Lenny’s hand; Lenny held the leftover pretzels; Kirusha trotted beside us as if he had invented the concept of family and was checking our paperwork. Tom and Jerry came as far as the gate, city royalty returning to their moonlit kingdom. “Visit,” Tom said. “Bring snacks,” Jerry added. Kirusha and I touched noses, no bark between us, only a promise. At home, pancakes long gone and pajamas found, we gathered on the rug for what Mariya called “the truth part.” “I learned water can be a road,” I said, “but only if love holds the map.” Roman nodded. “I learned being a lighthouse means looking even when you’re scared you won’t find anything.” Mariya’s eyes shone. “I learned ordinary Saturdays hide dragons, lanterns, and Jack Russells.” Lenny raised a finger. “And I learned that if your dog befriends Tom and Jerry, do not question the universe; thank it and offer cheese.” We laughed until the room felt larger than the house. Before sleep, Roman whispered, “Were you terrified when we were apart?” “Completely,” I said. “The dark was a sack, the water was a mouth, and missing you was a country with no doors. But Kirusha barked beside me, Tom made shadow into philosophy, Jerry made plans out of crumbs, and you came. So now fear knows my address, but it does not own the key.” He kissed my head. Outside, the night stood tall and harmless as a sleeping giant. Courage, I thought, is not never trembling; it is trembling toward the ones you love. Family is the lantern; friendship is the hand that lights it; and even a small puggle can carry fire home. *** The End


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 *** 2026-10-02T22:38:59.520435700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 ***"🐾 ...