Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Moonlit Ribbon of Ellen Ferrant Memorial Bikeway *** 2026-10-01T18:31:19.874984300

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Moonlit Ribbon of Ellen Ferrant Memorial Bikeway ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Leash of Morning Morning spilled over our roof like honey from a tipped jar, and I, Pete the Puggle, bounced down the stairs with my white velvety fur fluffed from dreams and my playful streaks of makeup—Mariya called them “adventure accents”—still neat from yesterday’s pretend parade. My nails clicked on the wood like tiny castanets. “Today smells like outside,” I announced, though no one had opened the door yet. Lenny laughed from the kitchen, warm as toast. “Pete, you smell outside before the outside knows it’s awake.” He tied his shoes with one hand and flipped a pancake with the other. “Ellen Ferrant Memorial Bikeway today, team. Wheels, paws, water, trees, and—if we’re lucky—one heroic snack break.” Roman leaned against the counter, taller than the doorframe of my courage, grinning like a boy who had hidden a dragon in his backpack. “Heroic snack breaks are my specialty,” he said, ruffling my ears. “But no rolling in duck perfume, Pete. Deal?” I wagged so hard my tail became a blurry white comma. “Deal,” I said, though my stomach flipped at the word water. The Bikeway had a pond, a canal, and little bridges where bicycles whispered over wooden planks. Water meant shining edges and cold breath. Water meant the world could grab your paws and not give them back. Mariya knelt and touched my nose. “We’ll stay together,” she said, as if she had heard the small thunder inside me. “And if something feels big, we make it small—one paw, one breath, one brave blink at a time.” Lenny packed sandwiches; Roman clipped my bright leash; I pretended bravery was a coat I already owned, though inside it felt three sizes too large. ## Chapter Two: Wheels, Wings, and a Mighty Tiny Bark The Ellen Ferrant Memorial Bikeway unrolled before us like a green-and-silver ribbon stitched between pines. Sunlight polka-dotted the path; tires hummed; birds typed messages in the hedges. I trotted beside Roman’s bike, chest high, ears sailing, while Lenny and Mariya followed with the picnic basket creaking like a treasure chest. Near the willow bend, a bark shot out—small, fierce, and polished like a tiny trumpet. “Halt! Who crosses the Kingdom of Timmy?” Out marched a long-haired Chihuahua with a mane worthy of legends and eyes bright as pennies. Behind him glided a tall white swan, neck curved like a question mark, feathers gleaming. “I am Trump,” said the swan proudly, “short for Trumpeter, keeper of the loud honk and the locket of pond courage.” Roman braked, laughing. “Pete, meet the neighborhood watch.” Timmy circled me, sniffing with heroic seriousness. “You’re new. You’re soft. Are you brave?” “I’m…” My paws remembered the pond beyond the reeds, black-blue and breathing. “I’m brave adjacent.” Trump lifted one foot from the water. “Adjacent courage is courage standing at the door,” he said. “Invite it in before the mosquitoes do.” Mariya smiled at the shimmer around the pond. “Magic loves ordinary places,” she murmured. Lenny squeezed Roman’s shoulder. “And ordinary boys love extraordinary dogs.” I wanted to believe them, but the water kept flashing like a thousand little knives made of light. Timmy boasted he had once chased a leaf across the whole pond; Trump honked applause. I laughed, but fear curled under my ribs like a sleeping snake. ## Chapter Three: The Bridge That Whispered The first bridge was narrow, wooden, and chatty; every bicycle crossing made it cluck like a wooden hen. Beneath it, the canal slid along, dark as spilled ink, carrying leaves that looked too much like tiny boats with no captains. My legs turned to noodles wearing socks. “I can’t,” I whispered, though Timmy was already prancing across. “The boards see through me. The water is waiting to say gotcha.” Roman knelt so our eyes were level. “Pete,” he said, voice low, “when I learned to ride, I was sure the ground had teeth. Dad ran beside me until I forgot to be scared. I’ll run beside you.” Lenny added, “Fear is loud, but it isn’t always honest.” Mariya touched the bridge rail. “This wood has held thousands of crossings. Let it hold yours.” Trump spread one wing like a white sail. “I will honk the rhythm,” he declared. “Honk-step, honk-step.” Timmy stood at the far end, tiny and mighty. “Come on, Pete! The Kingdom needs a knight with a handsome snoot!” I put one paw down. The board did not bite. Another paw. The water muttered, but Roman’s sneakers kept time beside me, left-right, left-right, a human heartbeat with laces. Halfway across, a bicycle bell rang; I froze, claws scrabbling. Roman didn’t pull. He waited. “Breathe with me,” he said. In through the nose, out like fogging a window. The bridge stopped being a monster and became merely a path with opinions. At the far side, Timmy leaped so high his hair became fireworks. I had crossed water without touching it, and something inside me unfolded one inch. ## Chapter Four: The Picnic, the Gust, and the Great Separation We picnicked under an oak whose leaves applauded in green. Lenny told a joke about a sandwich that wanted to be a wrap; Mariya found a four-leaf clover and tucked it behind my ear “for ordinary miracles”; Roman shared his apple with Timmy, who accepted it like a king accepting tribute from a very tall villager. Trump posed for a dragonfly photoshoot. Then the wind changed its mind. It came through the trees with a roguish whistle, snatched napkins, spun a paper plate into the sky, and sent my bright leash—unclipped for one careless minute while Roman adjusted my collar—slithering like a red snake into the brush. A plastic bag leaped up, white and crackling; I bolted before thought could catch me. Timmy shouted, “Adventure!” and chased. Trump flapped, crying, “Wrong direction, small comets!” The path blurred. Branches combed my fur. I heard Mariya call my name, Lenny’s whistle, Roman’s bike bell—then the sounds were folded away by trees. When I stopped, the Bikeway was gone. Only ferns, mud, a culvert mouth dark as a missing tooth, and Timmy panting beside me. Trump landed heavily, majestic and damp. “Congratulations,” he said, “we are lost with style.” My chest squeezed. Separated. The word had claws. What if the path never gave them back? What if family was a door I had accidentally locked from the outside? Timmy’s bravado trembled. “I chase leaves,” he admitted, “not conclusions.” I pressed against him. Two small heartbeats, one big woods. “We’ll be found,” I said, trying to believe it. “Roman found me when I was a puppy under the porch. He has finding eyes.” Trump looked toward the culvert. “Then we must give his eyes something brave to find.” ## Chapter Five: The Dark Mouth of the Culvert The culvert exhaled cold, wet breath. Inside, darkness layered itself like black blankets soaked in pond. My old fear of the dark came trotting back with muddy paws: it whispered that shadows had fingers, that echoes were animals, that night could fit inside a pipe at noon. Timmy hid behind my leg while pretending to inspect a pebble. “I am not scared,” he said. “My body is simply applauding the danger.” Trump’s feathers glowed faintly, moonlight remembered. “Courage is not the absence of trembling,” he said. “It is trembling in the correct direction.” I wanted to run back, but behind us the brambles had knitted shut, and ahead—if Timmy was right—a culvert shortcut might lead to the lower pond where Roman often rode. My family’s voices seemed sewn into the lining of my ears: Mariya’s “one brave blink,” Lenny’s “fear is loud,” Roman’s “breathe with me.” I stepped in. The dark licked my face. Halfway through, water rose around my paws—cold, sudden, alive. Panic flared white-hot. I yelped; the culvert threw my yelp back as three yelps. Timmy slipped; Trump honked so fiercely the pipe rang like a bell. “Pete!” Timmy cried. “Don’t leave me in the loud black!” Something in me stood up straighter than my legs. I thought of Roman waiting at the bridge, not pulling, trusting me to move. I lowered my body until my chest touched the chill and said, “Timmy, climb on. Trump, honk the rhythm. Fear can ride, but it cannot steer.” Step by step, breath by breath, we moved through the throat of the earth toward a coin of light that grew into a doorway. When we burst out, dripping and alive, the pond was not a monster. It was only water, and I had carried a friend through it. ## Chapter Six: Teeth of the Pond, Heart of the Knight Triumph lasted exactly seven seconds. The lower pond, swollen from wind, had eaten part of the bank. Timmy, celebrating too close to the edge, slid down mud into water with a splash no bigger than a teacup and terror as large as the sky. His long hair dragged him like a wet cape. “Pete!” he sputtered. “The leaf has betrayed me!” The old water-fear reared, silver-toothed. My body screamed stay dry. But beneath the scream, a new voice—mine, only braver—said, He is yours to help. I remembered the bridge: Roman beside me, not carrying me, lending me his steadiness. I remembered the culvert: I had been bigger than blackness. I ran along the bank, barking instructions I barely knew I knew. “Trump—wing under his chest! Timmy—paw to me! Don’t fight the water; lie on it like it’s a bed that hasn’t learned manners!” Trump thrust a strong wing beneath Timmy; I clamped my teeth gently on the scruff Mom always held when baths became operas. The pond pulled. Mud sucked my paws. For one terrible instant the water touched my belly and every old nightmare bit at once. Then Roman’s voice cut across the reeds—“PETE! HOLD ON!”—and there he was, crashing through cattails, bike abandoned, face fierce with love. He did not laugh at my shaking. He lay flat, reached past me, and together we hauled Timmy up like fishermen landing a small, indignant lion. Trump collapsed in a heap of offended elegance. I stood belly-deep in the pond, dripping, surprised to discover the water had not kept me. Roman wrapped muddy arms around my neck. “You went in,” he whispered. “You actually went in.” ## Chapter Seven: Found Bells and Firefly Lanterns Roman’s whistle—three short notes, our family’s lost-and-found song—brought Lenny crashing through the brush with Mariya close behind, her eyes bright with tears she tried to disguise as pond sparkle. Lenny lifted me clean off the ground, mud and all. “There’s my brave loaf,” he said, voice cracking into a smile. Mariya kissed the top of my head and pressed the four-leaf clover back behind my ear. “Ordinary miracle,” she whispered. “Extraordinary dog.” Timmy shook water from his mane and tried to reclaim royalty. “I meant to test your rescue skills,” he announced. Then he ruined the act by burrowing under my chin. “Thank you,” he added, small enough that only knights could hear. Trump bowed so low his beak touched mud. “The locket of pond courage belongs to Pete,” he said gravely, presenting a shiny bottle cap as if it were a medal forged by swan blacksmiths. Dusk poured blueberry light over the Bikeway. Fireflies rose, tiny lanterns looking for their tiny homes. We walked back together, Roman pushing his bike with one hand and keeping the other on my back. Lenny carried Timmy when the little king’s legs admitted exhaustion; Mariya held Trump’s bottle-cap medal in her pocket because “even swans need witnesses.” I kept waiting for shame to arrive—shame that I had run, that fear had made a mess. Instead Roman said, “I got scared too. Not of water. Of losing you.” His honesty opened a window in me. Brave people, I learned, are not houses without storms; they are houses with lights left on. The path glowed pale. Our shadows walked beside us like five loyal ghosts—six counting Timmy, seven with Trump—each one proof that being found is sometimes something you help happen. ## Chapter Eight: The Ribbon Comes Home At the trailhead, the Bikeway sign gleamed in the last gold of evening: Ellen Ferrant Memorial Bikeway, letters gentle as a blessing. We made a circle—Lenny with pine needles in his hair, Mariya glowing like a candle that had seen the whole day, Roman muddy-kneed and taller somehow, Timmy asleep against my shoulder, Trump preening with theatrical dignity. The pond behind us softened into silver; the bridge stopped whispering secrets and simply became a bridge again. “What did we learn?” Lenny asked, smiling the smile that usually arrived before a joke and a hug at the same time. “Besides that sandwiches taste better after peril?” Roman looked at me. “I learned protecting someone doesn’t mean keeping them from every hard thing. Sometimes it means running beside them while they do it.” Mariya nodded. “Magic was in the ordinary clover, the ordinary leash, the ordinary whistle we practiced and hoped never to need.” Timmy woke enough to declare, “I learned leaves are treacherous and friends are flotation devices.” Trump honked once, tenderly. “And I learned a honk can be a lighthouse if the dark is listening.” I felt all three fears—water, dark, separation—sitting in my memory like stones that had been heated and then cooled into something I could hold. “I learned fear can ride,” I said, “but it cannot steer. I learned family is not a place you stay inside; it’s a song you sing back when someone is lost. And I learned courage is sometimes wet, muddy, and wearing a bottle cap.” Lenny wrapped us in one enormous hug that smelled like pancakes, pine, sunscreen, and dog. “Then home,” he said, “for baths, stories, and absolutely no duck perfume.” We laughed as the first stars opened their bright eyes. Be brave one paw at a time; let love be louder than fear; when lost, sing—and listen for the song answering back. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Fraser Avenue Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T18:35:33.358385400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Fraser Avenue Park Adventure ***"🐾 ...