Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** The Puggle Who Learned the Tide *** 2026-10-01T09:22:51.567768800

"*** The Puggle Who Learned the Tide ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Road to the Salt Wind The morning smelled like toast crumbs, sunscreen, and possibility. I, Pete the Puggle, sat by the door with my tail thumping like a little drum, my white velvety fur fluffed with excitement and the black streaks around my eyes making me look like a tiny bandit who had stolen the sunrise. Lenny—Dad—knelt beside me and clipped my leash with ceremonial seriousness. “Captain Pete,” he said, “today we sail to Norman J Levy Park & Preserve, where the grass waves like green water and the birds gossip louder than Roman’s headphones.” Mariya laughed as she packed oranges, water, and the blue towel that always meant adventure. Roman leaned against the counter, trying to look too old for wonder, but his sneakers were already tapping. “I’m not getting in any water,” I announced, because even brave puppies should be honest. “Water is soup that tries to eat you.” Roman grinned. “It’s a marsh, Pete. Creeks, boardwalks, ospreys. Nobody’s throwing you into the Atlantic.” But his eyes softened, because he knew my fear had teeth. At the word *water*, my belly became a cold pebble. I remembered a bathtub when I was small: slippery walls, echoing drips, the terrible helpless splash. I pushed the memory down and wagged anyway. “I will protect everyone from puddles,” I said. “Heroically. From dry land.” George arrived just as we loaded the car—Roman’s friend, tall and sun-browned, with calm Navy eyes and a whistle hanging from his backpack. “Heard we’ve got a four-legged admiral,” George said, saluting me. I barked once, offended and flattered. Then a blur shot from George’s open trunk: Kirusha, a Jack Russell Terrier with a coat like lightning had cracked into brown and white pieces. He planted himself in front of me and barked so hard his ears flew backward. “This is my parking space! My sky! My smells!” he declared. I barked back, “Your sky has my family in it, sir!” We circled, stiff-legged, two tiny generals arguing over a kingdom neither of us owned. Mariya crouched between us, her voice gentle as moss. “Kirusha, Pete—bravery is not the loudest bark. Sometimes it is the first sniff offered in peace.” Kirusha sneezed, unimpressed, but he did not bite. Lenny opened the car door and said, “Everybody in. The preserve waits for no puggle.” As we drove, the houses loosened into reeds and shining flats. The air turned salty, ancient, alive. I pressed my nose to the window and felt fear and wonder wrestling inside me like two pups under one blanket. ## Chapter Two: Boardwalks and Brave Promises Norman J Levy Park & Preserve rose before us in layers: silver water flashing through cordgrass, trails curling like question marks, and a hill that seemed to hold up the blue bowl of sky. Gulls wrote white signatures across the wind. An osprey folded from heaven and speared the creek with a splash that made my knees forget their bones. “Did you see that?” Mariya whispered, eyes shining. “The ordinary just put on a crown.” Lenny breathed in deeply. “Smells like mud, salt, and good decisions.” Roman unclipped my leash but kept the loop around his wrist. “Stay close, Pete. Trails can twist.” Kirusha rocketed ahead, then spun to bark at me. “Slow-paw! Soft-belly! Afraid of a little creek?” The words stung worse than burrs. “I am not afraid,” I lied, while the tidal ditch beside the path glinted like a moving knife. George walked beside Roman, easy as a lighthouse. “In the Navy,” he said, “we learned fear is information wearing a scary costume. You listen, but you don’t let it steer.” I wanted to believe him. My paws said the path was safe; my memory said every ripple hid a mouth. At the first footbridge, water chuckled beneath the planks. I froze. The boards suddenly looked like ribs over a beast. Roman knelt, warm hand on my chest. “Pete, look at me. Not the water. One board. One breath. I’m here.” His voice was a rope thrown across a canyon. Lenny added, “Courage is fear that has said its prayers,” then ruined the solemnity by pretending to pray to a sandwich. I laughed despite myself, and the laugh loosened the stone in my belly. Step. Breath. Step. The bridge held. The creek did not eat me. On the other side, Kirusha was waiting, tail high. “You took forever,” he said, but quieter. “I was guarding the bridge from… bridge monsters.” I narrowed my eyes. “There are no bridge monsters.” He glanced at the water, then away. “That’s what they want you to think.” For the first time, behind his ferocity, I saw a flicker of my own trembling. Before I could answer, a wind rushed through the reeds, thousands of green blades whispering, *farther, farther*, and the trail bent toward shade where the light looked deep and secret. ## Chapter Three: The Hill of Ospreys We climbed the great hill, and the world opened like a pop-up book made by giants. Below, marshes braided silver through emerald; beyond, the bay trembled with boats small as beetles. Mariya named clouds: “That one is a whale. That one is a pancake with ambitions.” Lenny pointed out an osprey nest balanced on a platform, sticks woven into a storm-proof cradle. “Home,” he said, “is just courage with an address.” Roman and George raced the last twenty steps, laughing, while I trotted between them, drunk on height and clover-smell. Even Kirusha paused, his fierce face softened by wind. Then George found the narrow side trail. “Old service path,” he said, reading a faded marker. “Loops toward the lower creek. Shady. Might be muddy.” Roman’s protective radar pinged. “Pete stays with me.” But Kirusha had already plunged down, barking at a butterfly as if it had insulted his ancestors. “Kirusha!” George called. The little terrier vanished into grass taller than his opinions. I hesitated—hero or sensible potato?—and then my heart chose before my paws did. If he was scared under all that noise, somebody should be brave beside him. I ran after. The shade swallowed us faster than expected. Light fell in coins through leaves; the air turned cool and smelled of wet earth, snail shells, and the peppery breath of mud. “Kirusha!” I barked. “This is not guarding! This is wandering!” He appeared from behind a fern, hackles up. “I knew that. I was testing the path for traps.” A frog plopped into black water; we both leaped backward and collided. For one ridiculous second we were a tangle of paws, growls, and offended dignity. Then we froze, because the family voices above had thinned, stretched, and gone. I listened so hard my ears hurt. No Roman whistle. No Mariya’s bright call. Only reeds rubbing their dry hands together. My old terror of being separated rose like a tide inside my ribs: the shelter cage before my family, the echo of doors, the loneliness that smells like metal. “They’ll come,” Kirusha said too quickly. “Humans are slow. We are fast. We’ll find them first.” His bravado shook at the edges. I lifted my chin, though my legs felt like noodles. “Then we follow my nose,” I said. “It is excellent and only slightly afraid.” ## Chapter Four: The Creek with Teeth The side path dissolved into marsh lace—mud pockets, glittering rivulets, and roots like knuckles. Every step made a sound: suck, squelch, whisper. Dragonflies stitched blue sparks over puddles. Somewhere a rail bird gave a rusty squeak, and Kirusha barked at it until it stopped, probably from secondhand embarrassment. “New rule,” I said. “No barking at things that can’t file a complaint.” He snapped, “New rule, no being a fluffy marshmallow of doom.” We argued because arguing kept the dark from sounding bigger. Then the creek appeared—wider than the ditch, brown and muscular, sliding between muddy banks with a low, satisfied growl. A fallen log bridged it, slick as a secret. Across the water, I smelled sunscreen and Roman’s shampoo: family, close but hidden by a curtain of reeds. My heart leaped, then shrank. To reach them, we had to cross. Water moved below with patient hunger. The bathtub memory returned: white walls, my scrabbling paws, no bottom. I backed away so fast I sat in nettles. “No,” I whispered. “Not that. Anything but that.” Kirusha paced the bank, barking at the current. “Coward water! Bully soup!” But when he looked back at me, his aggression cracked open like an egg, and inside was worry. “Pete,” he said, almost gently, “if we stay, we’re lost-er. If we cross, we’re found-er.” It was terrible grammar and perfect truth. A mosquito bit my ear; the reeds hissed; shadows lengthened into fingers. I thought of Roman saying, *One board. One breath.* I thought of George: *Fear is information.* The information was screaming, yet underneath it lay a tiny fact: the log was solid, the creek was narrow, and love was on the other side. I put one paw on the log. It trembled, or I did. “Talk to me,” I begged Kirusha. He understood at once and became a furious commentator. “Left paw! Excellent! Right paw! Majestic! Tail up, you look like a soggy flag of victory!” Halfway across, the log rolled a whisper’s width. I froze, claws scraping. The creek licked the air beneath me. Then Roman’s voice burst through the reeds—“Pete!”—and courage flashed through me like lightning finding a tree. I ran the last three steps and fell into mud on the far bank, alive, shaking, astonished. Kirusha flew after me and immediately pretended he had meant to do that. ## Chapter Five: Bark, Dark, and the Small True Voice Victory lasted twelve seconds. The far bank was a maze of tall grass, and though we had crossed toward the smell of family, the reeds bent the sound away. Roman’s call came from left, then right, then nowhere, as if the marsh were playing keep-away with his voice. “Roman!” I howled. “Mariya! Lenny!” The marsh answered with frog-gulps and the slow clap of wings. Evening slid lower, pouring amber over the water and shadow into every hollow. My second fear—the dark—began unbuttoning the day. Darkness, to me, was not merely absence of light. It was the great mouth where shapes forgot their names. Under bushes, crickets sawed like tiny violins; above, the first stars pricked through, beautiful and useless. I pressed against Kirusha without asking permission. He stiffened, then did not move away. “I’m not scared,” he said. “Good,” I answered. “I’m scared enough for both of us.” He considered this. “Then I’ll be brave enough for both of us. We can trade later.” It was the kindest thing anyone had ever barked. A rustle came fast toward us—too big for frog, too low for bird. Kirusha launched forward with a snarl, all Jack Russell thunder. Out burst a muskrat, indignant and wet, holding a reed like a tiny spear. We screamed in three-part harmony: me, Kirusha, and possibly the muskrat. Then it dove, slap went its tail, and silence returned heavier than before. Kirusha panted, embarrassed. “I knew it was a muskrat.” “You called it a swamp dragon.” “Tactical nickname.” We both laughed, shaky and loud, and the dark lost a little of its teeth. In that laughter I discovered something astonishing: fear had not vanished, but it had changed shape. It was no longer a wall; it was a door with a squeaky hinge. I thought of Mariya finding magic in mud, Lenny turning worry into jokes, Roman’s hand steady on my chest, George’s calm eyes that had seen real waves and still chose kindness. “Kirusha,” I said, “if we keep moving toward voices, even wrong ones, we make a map.” He nodded. “And if we get eaten, we haunt the marsh dramatically.” “Deal.” We pressed shoulder to shoulder, two small heartbeats refusing to be only afraid. ## Chapter Six: George’s Whistle and Roman’s Light Far off, a whistle cut the dusk—three short notes, sharp as silverfish. George. Kirusha’s ears snapped up. “That’s the human seagull signal!” We ran toward it, then stopped when mud grabbed our paws. The marsh had become a puzzle of black mirrors; each pool reflected stars and pretended to be sky. I remembered George saying sailors respect water by never pretending it is land. So we slowed. Nose low. Paw testing. Breath counting. Brave is not fast, I told myself. Brave is honest with feet. The whistle came again, nearer, and with it Roman’s voice cracking like a branch: “Pete! Kirusha!” Light bobbed between reeds—his phone flashlight, a small moon on a leash. I barked until my throat sparked. Kirusha barked because I was barking and because he had been worried sick and would never admit it under oath. The beam swept over us, blinding white. Roman crashed through grass, mud to his knees, eyes wild. “There you are—oh, thank God—Pete!” He dropped to the ground and I hit his chest like a furry cannonball. Behind him came George, breathing hard but smiling, Lenny with both arms open, and Mariya crying and laughing at once. “My brave boy,” she whispered into my fur. Lenny hugged Roman and me together, saying, “Family rule: if you get lost, you must come back with a story and all your paws.” George scooped up Kirusha, who pretended to hate it and licked his chin. “You two crossed the creek?” George asked, seeing the log. Roman looked from the water to me, awe spreading over his face like sunrise. “Pete,” he said, “you crossed?” I wanted to say yes with trumpets. Instead I trembled, because adrenaline was leaving and fear was sending its bill. “I was so scared,” I admitted into Roman’s jacket. “The water had teeth. The dark had elbows. I thought you were gone forever.” Roman held me tighter. “I was scared too,” he said, and those four words healed more than any praise. “Being brave isn’t not shaking. It’s shaking and still answering when love calls.” Kirusha snorted from George’s arms. “I answered first.” I looked at him. “You barked at a muskrat.” “It was suspicious.” We both wagged, and just like that, enemies became a team. ## Chapter Seven: Mud, Stars, and the Way Back The walk out became a parade of muddy heroes. Lenny carried the flashlight like a torchbearer at the world’s smallest Olympics. Mariya kept one hand on my back and one on Roman’s sleeve, as if stitching us to the night. George led with Navy calm, reading the marsh by sound: dry grass whisper, wet mud hush, mosquito whine, distant road hum. “When I was on ships,” he said, “the ocean taught me that panic drinks your energy. Respect gives it back.” Kirusha trotted beside me, close enough that our shoulders brushed; neither of us commented on this historic treaty. At the creek, Roman stopped. “You don’t have to cross again, Pete. We can go around.” The old fear perked its ears, hopeful. Around was longer. Around was safe. Around was also a leash on the new self I had met in the dark. I looked at the water, still shining, still alive, but no longer a monster wearing a river costume. “I’ll cross,” I said, “with you.” Roman stepped onto the log first, backward, facing me, arms out like a bridge built of brother. “One board,” he said. “One breath.” Mariya whispered, “We’re here.” Lenny added, “And if you fall, I’ll make the splash into a joke.” Halfway over, the current chuckled and my legs remembered terror. I stopped. Kirusha barked from the bank, not mocking now but chanting, “Pete! Pete! Soggy flag of victory!” George said quietly, “Eyes on Roman, not the water.” I lifted my gaze. Roman’s face was steady, scared and brave together, and I understood courage is contagious when love carries it. Step. Breath. Step. My paws touched mud. The family erupted so loudly that three night birds filed complaints. I shook mud everywhere, baptizing everyone in triumph. On the hilltop we paused beneath spilled salt stars. The preserve glowed silver and black, no


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Great Adventure at Field 4 Jones Beach *** 2026-10-01T09:34:10.830381100

"*** The Great Adventure at Field 4 Jones Beach ***"🐾 ...