Followers Woof Woof :)

Monday, July 27, 2026

# *** Pete the Puggle and the Moscow Midnight Quest *** 2026-07-27T11:34:20.265147700

"# *** Pete the Puggle and the Moscow Midnight Quest ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Journey Begins The morning sun poured through the kitchen window like liquid gold, painting warm rectangles across the checkered floor where I sat with my nose pressed against the tile, inhaling the scent of toasted rye bread and something sweet—blini, maybe, with a whisper of strawberry jam. My name is Pete, and I am a Puggle, which means I am part pug, part beagle, and entirely magnificent, at least according to Mariya, who tells me so every morning while scratching behind my ears in that spot that makes my left leg kick involuntarily. Today was different, though. Today, the suitcases were out. Lenny was whistling—off-key, naturally—while folding shirts into neat squares, and Roman was shoving books into a backpack with the reckless enthusiasm of someone who believed packing was a competitive sport. "We're going to Moscow!" Mariya announced, scooping me up and pressing her nose to mine. Her eyes, the color of roasted chestnuts, sparkled with that particular magic she found in everything—an anthill, a raindrop, a crumb on the counter. "The real Moscow, Pete. Cathedrals with golden domes, rivers that wind through the city like silver ribbons, and streets that have heard a thousand years of stories." I wagged my tail so hard my entire body vibrated. I had never been to Moscow. I had never been anywhere beyond the backyard, the park, and the vet's office, which was decidedly less magical. My mind raced with images carved entirely from Mariya's bedtime stories—palaces made of candy, wolves in snowy forests, and rockets that punched through the sky like fists of fire. Lenny looked up from his suitcase and grinned. "Did you hear that, buddy? Moscow City! We'll walk along the Moskva River, visit Red Square, and I'll tell you the worst jokes you've ever heard in two languages." He paused, wiggling his eyebrows. "Why did the Russian bear sit on the stove? Because he wanted to be a grizzly warm!" Roman groaned from across the room, but I barked because Lenny's jokes, however terrible, always sounded like love to me. Roman zipped his backpack, slung it over one shoulder, and knelt down to meet my eyes. "Hey, Pete. This is going to be the best trip ever. I'll carry you if your little legs get tired." His hand was warm on my head, and I believed him completely, the way puppies believe in everything—without reservation, without armor, without the faintest trace of doubt. The airplane was a cathedral of noise and strange smells. I sat in my carrier beneath the seat, and the engine roared like a beast trapped in the walls. My heart hammered. The darkness of the carrier pressed against me like a fist, and I felt the first cold finger of fear trace its way down my spine. I was small. The world was enormous. And somewhere between the humming of the cabin and the muffled sound of Mariya's voice singing a lullaby through the mesh of my carrier, I closed my eyes and whispered to myself that families don't let families disappear. I held onto that thought the way a sailor holds onto the mast in a storm—tight, desperate, certain that letting go meant being swept into the endless dark. ## Chapter Two: Moscow at First Light We landed in Moscow in the pale lavender light of early morning, and the world outside the airport was a watercolor of stone and sky. The buildings rose in grand columns and spirals, their facades carved with symbols I couldn't read but felt in my bones—eagles, stars, figures robed in stone that seemed to breathe in the cold air. Lenny carried me through the terminal in my carrier, and when we stepped outside, the breeze hit my nose like a symphony: exhaust and petrol, yes, but beneath it, the scent of river water, roasted chestnuts from a street vendor, fresh snow carried on the wind from somewhere far to the east, and the unmistakable perfume of history—old stone, old wood, old earth. I trembled, but not from cold. I trembled because the world had just gotten infinitely bigger, and I was a very small dog in a very large city. "Look, Pete," Roman said, holding me up so I could see the skyline. "That's Moscow City—the business district. See those glass towers? They look like they're made of ice." He was right. The skyscrapers rose like frozen waterfalls, catching the first rays of sun and scattering them into a thousand prismatic fragments. I yipped with delight, and a passing pigeon regarded me with the weary contempt of someone who had seen a thousand small dogs and was unimpressed by all of them. Mariya laughed and linked her arm through Lenny's. "We should walk along the river first," she said. "Pete needs to stretch his legs. And I need to feel this city under my feet." Lenny nodded, kissed her temple, and said, "Wherever you lead, we follow. Just don't get us lost." Mariya smiled mysteriously. "Getting lost is how you find the best things." We walked along the Moskva River, and the water moved with a slow, dark gravity that made my stomach clench. I had never been close to real water—not like this. The river was wide and deep, its surface catching the sky and folding it into ripples that looked like fingers reaching for the shore. I stopped walking. My paws planted themselves on the stone promenade as though they'd been nailed there. My breath came fast and shallow. The water was so vast, so dark, so unknowable. What if it rose? What if it swallowed me? What if I slipped from the edge and sank into that black, churning silence where no bark could be heard and no hand could reach me? Roman noticed before anyone else. He always noticed. He knelt beside me and placed his palm flat against my side so I could feel his heartbeat through his skin. "Hey. Hey, little guy. It's just water. It's not going to hurt you. I'm right here. I'm always right here." His voice was steady, an anchor in the storm of my panic. Lenny sat on the bench behind us and watched with quiet eyes, not intervening, trusting Roman the way a wise general trusts his best soldier. Mariya crouched nearby and murmured, "Water is just the sky turned upside down, Pete. It's only frightening because it's a mirror, and mirrors show us things we don't expect." I looked at the river again. I looked at Roman. I took one step forward. Then another. My legs shook, but I walked. The river didn't rise. The world didn't swallow me. And Roman's hand never left my side. ## Chapter Three: The Shadow of the Old City By afternoon, we had wandered deep into the old streets near the Kremlin, where the buildings leaned together like old friends sharing secrets. The cobblestones were uneven beneath my paws, and every corner revealed something new—a fountain shaped like horses, a church with walls painted in blues and golds that made my eyes ache with wonder, an old woman selling dried apples from a wooden cart who looked at me and said something in Russian that made Mariya smile. "She says you have kind eyes," Mariya translated. Lenny bought a bag of dried apples, and I ate one. It was sweet and leathery and tasted like autumn distilled into a single bite. But as the afternoon deepened, the streets narrowed, and the buildings grew taller, their shadows stretching across the cobblestones like long dark arms reaching for us. The sun began its descent, and the light changed from gold to amber to a bruised violet that made the alleys look like the entrances to caves. My ears flattened. My tail tucked. The fear of the dark—a fear I had carried since puppyhood, when the hallway light burned out and I spent a night alone in a pitch-black kitchen believing the shadows were alive—crept back into me like cold water filling a glass. Every shadow became a shape. Every shape became a creature. Every creature became a threat. I could hear my own heartbeat in my ears, and it sounded like hoofbeats on a frozen field. "Dad, it's getting dark," Roman said, and there was an edge in his voice—not fear exactly, but alertness, the kind a protective brother feels when the world shifts from adventure to something more uncertain. Lenny checked his phone. "We've walked further than I thought. We need to head back toward the main boulevard." But the streets of old Moscow are a labyrinth, and in the gathering dusk, every direction looked the same. Mariya took Lenny's hand. I felt the mood change—not to panic, but to a quiet, shared vigilance that hummed through the family like a current. And then, from the shadows of an archway ahead, a sound emerged—not human, not threatening, but unmistakably alive. A low, calm breathing, followed by a voice that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once. "Do not be afraid, little Puggle." The voice was female, rich, and ancient, like a bell that had been ringing for centuries. From the shadow of the archway stepped a dog—or the spirit of one. She was sleek and gray, with eyes like twin moons and a presence that made the air around her shimmer. "My name is Laika," she said. "I was sent into space in 1957, into the endless dark, and I learned that darkness is not a monster. It is a blanket. And beneath every blanket, there is warmth waiting to be found." I stared at her, my fear and wonder tangled together like kite strings in a windstorm. She looked at me with infinite patience and said, "You are afraid of the dark. You are afraid of water. You are afraid of being alone. These are not weaknesses, Pete. These are doors. And doors are meant to be opened." Behind me, I heard another voice—deeper, gruffer, and laced with the quiet authority of a man who had faced a thousand villains and never flinched. "She's right," said Charles Bronson, stepping from behind a stone column with the calm precision of someone who had been guarding the shadows his entire life. "Fear is just courage asking for directions." ## Chapter Four: The Separation Charles Bronson stood with his back to the archway, scanning the darkening streets with eyes that missed nothing. He was older now—his face a map of every desert he'd crossed, every train he'd leaped from, every villain he'd outsmarted—but his stance was iron, and his voice carried the weight of a hundred cinematic battles. "The streets twist here," he said. "One wrong turn and you're in a courtyard with no exit. Stay close." Lenny extended his hand, and Charles shook it with a firm, practiced grip. "Good to see you, old friend," Lenny said. "It's been too long." Charles allowed himself the ghost of a smile. "I heard you were bringing the family to Moscow. I couldn't let you walk into the old quarter alone. Not at night. Not with the shadows growing teeth." Mariya looked at him with open curiosity. "What do you mean, teeth?" Charles paused. "There are places in every city where the past doesn't sleep. This city has more history than most. And history, when disturbed, has a way of pushing back." Laika moved beside me, her form flickering slightly, as though she existed in two times at once. She leaned down and whispered into my ear, her breath cool and electric, like the air before a thunderstorm. "There is something here, Pete. Something that feeds on fear—yours, mine, anyone's. It lives in the spaces between the streets, in the places where the light doesn't reach. It has no name, but it has a hunger. And it has noticed you." I wanted to run. Every fiber of my small, trembling body screamed at me to bolt toward the light, toward the noise, toward anything that didn't feel like the inside of a nightmare. But Roman's hand was on my back, and Laika's eyes were on mine, and Charles Bronson was standing between us and the dark like a wall built from courage and a thousand action films. And then the lights went out. Not all of them—not the distant glow of the boulevard or the faint illumination of the Kremlin towers—but the streetlights in our alley, every one, in a single breath, as if an invisible hand had pinched the wick of each flame. The darkness rushed in like water filling a sinking ship, and in that darkness, something moved. I heard it—a scraping, dragging sound, like chainmail pulled across cobblestones. Charles reacted instantly. "Move! Everyone move! Back toward the boulevard!" His voice was a command, sharp and undeniable. Lenny grabbed Mariya's hand. Mariya reached for Roman. Roman reached for me. But in the chaos of running footsteps and sudden, blinding dark, my paw slipped on the wet cobblestone, and I skidded sideways into a gap between two buildings that I hadn't known was there. The gap swallowed me. I heard Roman shout my name—"Pete! PETE!"—but his voice was already fading, pulled away by the dark like a leaf in a current. I was alone. Completely, utterly, devastatingly alone, in a place I had never been, in a darkness so thick I could taste it—metallic and cold, like a coin pressed against my tongue. ## Chapter Five: The Dark Place I lay in the gap between the buildings, my belly pressed against cold stone, my eyes wide and useless in the dark. The space was narrow—barely wide enough for a small puggle—and the walls rose on either side like the pages of a book closing around me. My breath came in short, ragged bursts, each exhale a tiny cloud I couldn't see. I was shaking so hard the stones beneath me hummed. Every shadow was a hand. Every silence was a whisper. The fear of being separated from my family—the fear that lived at the very bottom of my soul, beneath the fear of water, beneath the fear of the dark—rose up inside me like a black tide, filling every hollow space in my chest until I thought I might drown in it. I closed my eyes. I thought of Roman's hand on my back. I thought of Mariya's voice singing. I thought of Lenny's terrible jokes, and I held onto those memories the way a drowning sailor holds onto driftwood. " Pete." Laika's voice came from everywhere at once, soft as moonlight, steady as a heartbeat. "You are not alone. You have never been alone. I was sent into space in a tiny capsule, in the darkest dark any creature has ever known, with no hand to hold and no voice to guide me. And I survived. Not because I was brave—I was terrified—but because I discovered that courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is fear that has decided to keep walking." I opened my eyes and saw her—a faint, silver glow in the darkness, her form shimmering like starlight filtered through water. She was beautiful and impossible, and she made the dark around her feel less like a monster and more like a room—just a room, with walls and a ceiling and, somewhere, a door. "Can you help me find the door?" I whispered. Laika's eyes softened. "I can do more than that," she said. "I can show you that the door was inside you all along." And then I heard it—the scraping sound again, closer now, louder, and with it a presence that made the air drop ten degrees. The thing that fed on fear was here, in the gap with me, and I could feel it pressing against the walls like a shadow trying to become solid. It had no shape I could see, but I could feel its hunger—a cold, patient emptiness that wanted my fear the way a fire wants oxygen. It whispered to me, not in words but in feelings: *you are small, you are weak, you are lost, no one is coming, no one will ever come.* And for a moment—a terrible, breathless moment—I believed it. I believed every wordless whisper. I curled into myself and felt the darkness press closer, closer, closer— And then Charles Bronson's voice cut through the void like a blade. "Pete! Listen to me! I have faced men with guns, men with knives, men with nothing to lose. And I am telling you—right now—that the thing you're hearing? It's a liar. It feeds on surrender. Don't you dare give it yours." His voice came from the entrance of the gap, strong and clear, and I saw him silhouetted against a faint light—a flare he'd pulled from his coat, burning red and fierce like a tiny sun. The shadow recoiled. The cold retreated. And in that moment of light, I saw Laika's eyes, calm and infinite, and she said, "Now, Pete. Stand up. Walk. I am with you. Charles is with you. And your family is waiting. They are always waiting." I stood. My legs shook. I took one step. Then another. The shadow hissed and shrank. I walked toward the light, and with every step, the darkness lost a piece of itself, until I emerged from the gap into the flare's crimson glow, blinking, trembling, but alive. ## Chapter Six: The River Crossing Charles scooped me up with one arm, still holding the flare with the other, and we moved quickly through the streets. Laika glided beside us, her silver light pushing back the dark like a lantern on a ship. "We need to cross the river," Charles said. "The boulevard is on the other side. That's where they'll be searching." My heart seized. The river. The wide, dark, unknowable river that had frozen my paws in place just that morning. I whimpered, and Charles looked down at me with an expression that was simultaneously tough and tender—the face of a man who had broken every bone in his body and still believed in gentleness. "I know you're scared," he said. "I've been scared plenty of times. Scared of heights, scared of fire, scared of the day I'd be too old to do my own stunts. But fear is a river too, Pete. And you can either stand on the bank and watch it flow, or you can build a bridge and walk across." We reached the riverbank, and the Moskva lay before us—black and vast under a sky littered with stars. There was a pedestrian bridge ahead, but it was old, and the river had risen from recent rains, and water lapped at the planks in dark, hungry tongues. The fear hit me like a wall of water itself—my legs locked, my breath stopped, my vision narrowed until the bridge was the only thing in the world, and it looked like a spine made of bones stretching over an abyss. Laika appeared beside me, her form brighter now, as if the stars above were feeding her light. "Pete," she said gently, "I went into space. Do you understand what that means? There was no water. There was no air. There was nothing but darkness in every direction, and the darkness went on forever. And I looked out of my little window, and I saw the Earth—the whole, beautiful, blue Earth—and I thought, that is my home. And home is not a place. Home is everyone who loves you. They are waiting on the other side of this bridge. Walk to them." I stepped onto the bridge. The wood groaned beneath me. The water slapped against the pilings, and I could feel its vibration through my paws—a deep, resonant pulse, like the heartbeat of something enormous and indifferent. I took another step. The bridge swayed. I closed my eyes and saw Roman's face, Lenny's grin, Mariya's eyes. I saw our kitchen, with its checkered floor and its smell of morning toast. I saw the backyard, where I chased leaves and barked at clouds. Home. I opened my eyes and kept walking. Laika walked beside me, her silver light reflecting off the water below, and for the first time, the river didn't look like a monster. It looked like a mirror—just as Mariya had said—and in that mirror, I saw a small white puggle with bright eyes and makeup-streaked fur, walking forward, unafraid, or rather, afraid and walking anyway. Halfway across, the shadow returned. It rose from the water like a wave given form—dark, towering, and furious at being denied. It slammed against the bridge, and the planks shuddered and cracked. I stumbled. Charles braced himself and pulled something from inside his coat—a small device that hummed with light. "Laika! Now!" he shouted. Laika surged forward, her form expanding, her eyes blazing white, and she passed through the shadow like a comet through a cloud. The shadow screamed—a sound like wind through a broken window—and shattered into a thousand dark fragments that dissolved into the river and were gone. The bridge steadied. I ran. I ran the rest of the way with my ears flat and my heart pounding and my paws barely touching the wood, and when I reached the other side, I collapsed on the grass and breathed and breathed and breathed, and the air tasted like freedom. ## Chapter Seven: The Reunion I lay on the riverbank, trembling and spent, the grass cool beneath me and the stars warm above. Laika sat beside me, her glow fading to a gentle pulse, like a nightlight left on for a child. Charles stood watch, scanning the far bank with the vigilance of a man who trusted peace but never took it for granted. And then, from somewhere in the distance—a voice. My voice. The voice I knew better than any sound in the world. "PETE! PETE, WHERE ARE YOU?" It was Roman. I lifted my head. I heard it again, closer now, raw with the particular desperation of a boy who loved his dog more than he loved his own comfort. "PETE!" I barked. I barked with everything I had—every breath, every ounce of courage, every fragment of love that had carried me across the dark and the water and the bridge. I barked, and the sound tore through the night like a flare, and within moments, I saw them—Lenny, Mariya, and Roman—running across the boulevard toward the riverbank, their faces lit by the streetlamps and by something brighter than any lamp. Roman reached me first. He fell to his knees and gathered me into his arms, and I felt his heartbeat against mine—fast and strong and real. "I thought I lost you," he whispered, his voice cracking. "I thought I lost you, Pete. Don't ever do that again. Promise me. Promise me, buddy." I licked his face. I licked his tears. I wagged my tail so hard it blurred. Lenny arrived next, wrapping his arms around both of us, and his voice was thick with the kind of emotion that a warm, wise, joke-telling father only shows when the world has reminded him what matters most. "You're safe," he said. "You're safe. That's all that matters. That's all that ever matters." Mariya knelt beside us and placed her hand on my head, and I felt her warmth travel through me like sunlight through a window. "You brave, beautiful boy," she said. "You walked through the dark. You crossed the water. You found your way home." And then she looked up, and her eyes widened. "Who are they?" she asked, gesturing toward Laika and Charles. Charles stepped forward and extended his hand to Lenny. "Charles. Old friend. I happened to be in the neighborhood." Lenny laughed—a full, relieved, joyous laugh—and embraced him. "You happened to be in Moscow, in the dark, in the exact alley where my family needed help?" Charles shrugged. "I've always had good timing." Roman looked at Laika, who sat perfectly still, her silver form glowing softly in the night. "And you? Who are you?" Laika tilted her head, and her eyes held the sadness and triumph of a creature who had seen the edge of the universe and returned. "My name is Laika. I was the first dog in space. I was sent up in 1957, and the world thought I never came back. But I did. I came back to help those who face the dark, because I know what it means to be alone in it. And your Pete—" she looked at me with a smile that held the whole sky, "—he is the bravest small soul I have ever had the honor of guiding." ## Chapter Eight: Lessons Beneath the Stars We sat together on the riverbank as the night settled around us like a blanket. Moscow glittered on the other side of the water—the Kremlin towers, the golden domes, the glass skyscrapers of Moscow City reflecting the stars—and for the first time since we'd arrived, the city felt not like a giant, overwhelming unknown but like a living, breathing friend. Lenny built a small fire using supplies from Charles's pack, and the flames danced and crackled, sending tiny embers upward like earthbound stars returning to their families. Roman held me in his lap, refusing to let go, and I let him, because I needed it as much as he did. Mariya sat close to Lenny, her head on his shoulder, watching the fire with those eyes that saw magic in everything. Charles leaned against a tree, arms crossed, watching the perimeter with one eye and the family with the other. Laika lay beside me, her form dimming and brightening like a candle in a gentle breeze. "So," Lenny said, breaking the comfortable silence with the careful tone of a father who wanted to say something important without sounding like he was giving a lecture. "What did we learn tonight?" Roman looked down at me and smiled. "I learned that I should never let go of Pete. Not in a strange city. Not in the dark. Not ever." His voice was serious, and Lenny nodded. "That's a good lesson, son. But here's another one: even when you let go—even when the worst happens and you get separated—the love doesn't disappear. It becomes a compass. It pulls you back together." Mariya looked at Laika with deep, wondering eyes. "Is that true for you too? Were you pulled back?" Laika was quiet for a long moment, and when she spoke, her voice held the resonance of a bell struck in a cathedral. "I was sent into space alone, with no expectation of return. But love—love from the creatures who remembered me, who told my story, who looked at the night sky and thought of the little dog among the stars—that love became a thread. And I followed it back. Love does not obey distance, or time, or even death. It is the strongest force in any universe, and I have seen a great many universes." I looked at each of them—my family, my friends, my guardians—and I felt something shift inside me, like a key turning in a lock I hadn't known existed. The fear of water was still there, somewhere, a quiet echo in the back of my mind. The fear of the dark hadn't vanished entirely. The fear of being separated from the people I loved would probably always live in some small corner of my heart. But those fears no longer controlled me. They were not walls anymore. They were windows—windows I had looked through and discovered, on the other side, a courage I hadn't known I possessed. Charles Bronson, the man of a thousand battles, looked at me and said, "You know, Pete, I've worked with a lot of heroes. Big ones, tough ones, ones who could punch through walls and outrun explosions. But you? You're the real deal. Because real heroes aren't the ones who never feel fear. They're the ones who feel it all—and keep going anyway." Roman scratched behind my ears, and I closed my eyes and leaned into his hand. Lenny put another log on the fire and said, "Why did the puggle cross the Moskva River?" Mariya groaned. Roman groaned. Even Charles Bronson groaned. But I wagged my tail, because Lenny's jokes, however terrible, were the sound of home. "To get to the other side of himself!" Lenny declared, and everyone laughed—really laughed, the kind of laughter that comes from relief and love and the shared knowledge that the night had been hard and dark and terrifying, but they had faced it together, and together was the only way anything worth doing ever got done. Laika rose, her form growing brighter, and I knew she was preparing to leave. "Will I see you again?" I asked, my voice small in the vast night. She leaned down and touched her nose to mine, and I felt a warmth that traveled through every cell of my body like a melody. "Whenever you face the dark, Pete, I will be there. Whenever the water rises, I will be beside you. Whenever you feel alone, remember this night, and remember that love is a thread that cannot be broken." And then she was gone—not vanished, but dispersed, like starlight into the sky, like warmth into the air, like a story told and remembered and carried forward. We walked back to our hotel as a family, the streets of Moscow quiet and golden around us. I walked between Roman's legs, safe and steady, my paws clicking on the cobblestones in a rhythm that sounded like a heartbeat—steady, sure, alive. Charles walked us to the door of the hotel and shook Lenny's hand one final time. "Take care of that little dog," he said. "He's got more courage in one paw than most people have in a lifetime." Lenny smiled. "We know. We've always known." And then Charles walked into the Moscow night, his silhouette straight and sure, a hero returning to the shadows that needed him. I looked up at Roman, at Mariya, at Lenny, and I understood something I would carry for the rest of my life: that fear is not the enemy. Fear is the teacher. It shows us the doors we need to open, the bridges we need to cross, the dark places where our courage is waiting to be born. And family—family is the light that makes it possible to see. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square *** 2026-09-30T03:41:53.255292400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square ***"🐾 ...