Followers Woof Woof :)

Sunday, July 26, 2026

# *** Story Title: Pete the Puggle and the Whispering Woods of Almon Asbury Lieuallen Park *** 2026-07-26T16:21:02.441240200

"# *** Story Title: Pete the Puggle and the Whispering Woods of Almon Asbury Lieuallen Park ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Morning the World Smelled Like Adventure The morning sun poured through the kitchen window like warm honey, painting golden rectangles across the tile floor where I lay with my belly pressed flat against the coolness. My name is Pete, and I am a Puggle—which means I'm part pug, part beagle, and entirely magnificent, at least that's what Mariya tells me every morning when she scratches behind my ears in just the right spot. My fur is short and white, soft as velvet, and Mariya says my eyes look like I've painted them with playful streaks of makeup because they're so bright and expressive they seem almost theatrical. I suppose that's fitting, because if there's one thing I love more than bacon treats—and I love bacon treats with the intensity of a thousand suns—it's telling stories. Grand, sweeping, magnificent stories. But today, I wouldn't need to invent a tale. Today, the story came to me. "Pete! Come here, buddy!" Lenny's voice boomed from the hallway like a friendly thunderclap. My tail wagged before my brain even caught up—Dad's voice always does that to me. I scrambled to my paws, claws clicking and clacking against the tile, and rounded the corner to find him standing by the front door with a canvas bag slung over his shoulder. His eyes were crinkled at the corners the way they get when he's about to say something exciting. "We're going to Almon Asbury Lieuallen Park today, Pete. The whole family. You, me, Mariya, Roman—and whatever adventures find us." I barked. I couldn't help it. The words tumbled out of me like water from a broken dam. Almon Asbury Lieuallen Park! I'd heard Roman talk about it before—a vast, sprawling park with towering trees, winding trails, a shimmering creek, and wide open fields where the grass rolled like a green ocean. My heart hammered so fast I thought it might burst right out of my chest like a little furry rocket. But underneath the excitement, something else stirred. A small, cold whisper of fear that curled at the edges of my thoughts like smoke. I'd heard there was water at the park. Deep water. Moving water. And if there was one thing that made my legs shake and my ears flatten against my skull, it was water. Roman appeared at the top of the stairs, his dark hair tousled and a grin splitting his face like he'd just thought of something mischievous. "Pete, old buddy! You ready for the greatest day of your life?" He bounded down the steps two at a time and scooped me up, nuzzling his nose into my neck. I licked his chin frantically because that's what best friends do. Roman was my person—my partner in crime, my co-conspirator, my favorite wrestler and my most trusted confidant. He was older than me in human years, which is a funny thing to say about a dog and a boy, but our souls were the same age: ancient and playful and endlessly curious. "I heard there's a creek there, Pete," he whispered, and I felt my body stiffen. He noticed immediately—Roman always noticed. "Hey. It's okay. I'll be right there with you. We'll face it together." Mariya emerged from the kitchen with a thermos of tea and a basket of sandwiches, her eyes bright with that particular sparkle she gets when she senses magic in the ordinary. "The trees at Almon Asbury Lieuallen are ancient," she said softly, kneeling to kiss the top of my head. "Some of them have been standing for over a hundred years. Imagine what they've seen, Pete. Imagine the stories they could tell." I gazed up at her, and for a moment, the fear shrank a little. Mariya had that power—she could make the world feel enchanted instead of frightening. Lenny opened the front door, and the morning breeze rushed in carrying the scent of pine, damp earth, and something sweet and faraway. I took a deep breath, squared my small shoulders, and stepped outside. The world smelled like adventure. I just hoped I was brave enough to live it. --- ## Chapter Two: The Park That Breathed Magic The car ride felt like an eternity wrapped in a tortilla of anticipation. I sat in the backseat between Roman's backpack and a bag of dog treats, my nose pressed against the window, watching the world transform from familiar neighborhood streets to winding country roads flanked by towering pines that stood like sentinels guarding a secret kingdom. Every passing mile made my heart beat faster, and I could feel the fear and excitement wrestling inside me like two squirrels fighting over the same acorn. When we finally turned into the entrance of Almon Asbury Lieuallen Park, I nearly lost my breath. The park opened before us like the first page of a storybook. Enormous oak and maple trees formed a cathedral of green overhead, their leaves filtering the sunlight into dancing gold coins that scattered across the ground. The grass was thick and impossibly soft, swaying gently in the breeze like it was breathing. A stone path wound through the entrance garden, bordered by wildflowers—purple coneflowers, yellow black-eyed Susans, and delicate white Queen Anne's lace that looked like lacework spun by fairies. The air smelled of moss, pine needles, and something ancient and sweet, like the earth itself was exhaling memories. In the distance, I could hear the sound of rushing water, and my ears flattened involuntarily. The creek. It was out there, somewhere beyond the trees, calling to me with its cold, rushing voice. "Welcome to paradise," Lenny announced, stretching his arms wide. He looked at Mariya, who had already pulled out her phone to photograph a cluster of mushrooms growing at the base of an oak. "Mariya, those mushrooms could be poisonous." "Or they could be magical," she replied without looking up, a smile playing on her lips. Roman knelt beside me and clipped my leash to my harness. "You okay, buddy?" he asked, studying my face with those sharp, caring eyes. I wagged my tail because I wanted him to know I was trying. "The creek's not going anywhere, Pete. And neither am I. We'll take it at your pace." I leaned against his leg, and the warmth of his presence soaked into me like sunshine through a window. Dad crouched down and ruffled my ears. "You know what, Pete? Courage isn't about not being scared. It's about being scared and stepping forward anyway. And if you need to stop, we stop. No judgment. Just love." We walked deeper into the park along a winding trail carpeted with fallen leaves and soft pine needles. The trees grew thicker, their trunks wide and gnarled like the arms of old grandfathers reaching toward one another. Birdsong filled the canopy—chickadees, robins, and something that sounded like a tiny bell ringing high above. Mariya pointed out a spiderweb strung between two branches, glistening with morning dew like a necklace strung with diamonds. "Look at that, Pete. Even the smallest creatures build beautiful things." I sniffed the web gently, and the spider, no bigger than a grain of rice, regarded me with what I imagined was great dignity. I respected that tiny architect. It had built something extraordinary out of nothing but patience and silk. Maybe courage was like that too—something you built, strand by strand, even when the wind shook your foundation. And then we heard it—the unmistakable bark of another dog, deep and resonant, echoing through the trees like a distant drum. My ears perked. My tail lifted. Roman grinned. "Sounds like someone wants to meet you, Pete." I pulled on my leash gently, and we followed the sound through a grove of birch trees whose white bark gleamed like bone, until we emerged into a clearing where the sunlight fell in a broad, warm sheet. And there she was. --- ## Chapter Three: The Elegant Luna and the Secret Flutter of a Puggle's Heart She stood in the clearing like a statue carved from bronze and midnight. Her coat was the color of dark mahogany, sleek and powerful, rippling over muscles that moved like liquid beneath her skin. Her face was noble, serious, framed in the distinctive folds of an Italian Mastiff—deep-set amber eyes that glowed like embers in a dying fire. She was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen in my entire life. My heart did something it had never done before: it stuttered, then raced, then seemed to flip entirely upside down. I felt my legs go wobbly, and I sat down abruptly because standing had suddenly become an impossible task. "That's an Italian Mastiff," Roman said, his voice filled with admiration. "Also called a Cane Corso. They're incredible dogs. Loyal, brave, elegant." The Mastiff's human, a kind-faced elderly woman sitting on a bench nearby, waved. "That's Luna," she called. "She's friendly. A bit dignified, but friendly." Luna approached with a measured, unhurried grace, her paws placing themselves on the earth with the precision of a dancer. I wanted to say something smooth, something charming, something that would make her eyes light up with delight. Instead, what came out was a high-pitched, slightly strangled yip that sounded nothing at all like the debonair greeting I'd intended. Luna tilted her head, and I thought I saw the faintest flicker of amusement in those amber eyes. "Hello," she said in a voice that was deep and warm, like honey poured over velvet. "You're a Puggle, aren't you? I've read about your kind. Adventurers and storytellers, they say." She'd read about my kind. She read. She was beautiful and literate. I was completely and utterly doomed. "I'm Pete," I managed, my voice cracking embarrassingly. "I'm... I'm an adventurer. And a storyteller. And also sometimes a coward. But mostly an adventurer." Roman snorted behind me. "He's being modest. Pete is the bravest Puggle I know." "Is he the only Puggle you know?" Luna asked, and I could have sworn she smiled. Roman laughed. "Yes, actually. But that doesn't make it less true." We played. Oh, how we played. Luna was faster than she looked—her long strides eating up the ground as we chased each other around the clearing in wide, looping circles. She let me catch her sometimes, I think, because she was kind beneath that dignified exterior. We tumbled through the grass, rolled over each other in a blur of white and mahogany, and I barked with a joy so pure it felt like my chest might crack open from the brightness of it. She nipped my ear gently, and I chased her under the low branches of a spruce tree where the needles formed a curtain around us, creating a private little world where it was just us and the golden light and the sound of our laughter—hers a low, rumbling woof, mine a delighted, breathless yapping. "You're fun, Pete," Luna said as we collapsed side by side in the shade, our flanks heaving. "Most small dogs try too hard to prove they're tough. You just... are who you are. That's refreshing." I felt warmth bloom in my chest that had nothing to do with running. "I'm scared of water," I blurted out, because apparently my mouth had decided honesty was more important than dignity. Luna looked at me. "I know. I saw how your ears went flat when we passed the creek. But you came here anyway. That's not weakness, Pete. That's something stronger than bravery. That's choice." I stared at her, this elegant, powerful, impossibly graceful creature who had somehow looked at my trembling, ridiculous self and seen something worth respecting. And in that moment, I made a silent promise: I would try to be worthy of her words. I would face the water. I would face everything. --- ## Chapter Four: The Creek That Roared and the Puggle Who Trembled The creek announced itself long before we saw it—a low, constant murmur that grew louder with every step, like a sleeping giant stirring beneath the earth. The trail narrowed as it descended through a ravine thick with ferns and moss-covered rocks, the air growing cooler and damper, carrying the mineral scent of wet stone. When the trees finally parted, the creek revealed itself in full, dramatic glory: a wide, shallow stream rushing over a bed of smooth gray stones, its surface catching the light and throwing it in a thousand directions like shattered glass. In some places, the water moved gently, almost lazily, pooling in quiet eddies where leaves floated in slow circles. In others, it pushed forward with a force that made my stomach clench—a white, churning urgency that seemed to pull at the very earth beneath it. My legs locked. Every muscle in my small body tensed like a coiled spring, and my paws rooted themselves to the ground as though they'd grown roots. The sound of the water filled my ears, drowning out everything else—the birdsong, my family's voices, my own heartbeat. Water. It was everywhere. In front of me, beside me, beneath the rocks I stood on. I could feel its cold breath rising, and my mind, that magnificent storytelling mind that could conjure entire kingdoms from nothing, turned against me. I imagined the water rising, swallowing the banks, pulling me in with cold, invisible hands, dragging me under where the light couldn't reach. My breath came in short, shallow gasps. I was drowning on dry land. "Pete?" Roman's voice cut through the panic like a lighthouse beam through fog. He was kneeling beside me, his hand warm on my back. "Hey. I've got you. Look at me, buddy. Just look at me." I dragged my eyes from the creek and met his gaze. Roman's eyes were steady, calm, unafraid. "The water can't hurt you here. You're on the bank. You're safe. I'm right here." He stroked my fur slowly, rhythmically, and I focused on the feeling of his hand—the warmth, the pressure, the constancy. Lenny crouched on my other side. "You know what I think, Pete? I think that creek is just a story the land is telling. And you're the best storyteller I know. So maybe instead of listening to the scary version, you could tell yourself a different one." Mariya sat on a rock nearby, quiet, watching, her eyes full of tenderness. "Water is life, Pete," she said softly. "It feeds the trees, the flowers, the birds. It's not trying to take anything from you. It's trying to give something to everything." Luna appeared at my side, her solid, warm presence pressing gently against my flank. "My grandmother used to say that fear is just a door, Pete. You don't have to kick it down. You just have to turn the handle." I looked at the water again. It was still there—still rushing, still cold, still terrifying. But Roman was beside me. Luna was beside me. My family was beside me. And somewhere, deep inside me, beneath the trembling and the shallow breaths, a small, fierce voice whispered: *You are a storyteller. Tell a braver story.* I took one step forward. Then another. The water's sound didn't change, but somehow it seemed less like a roar and more like a song—a wild, ancient song that the land had been singing for a thousand years. My paws touched the wet stones at the edge, and cold water lapped at my toes. I flinched but didn't run. Roman squeezed my shoulder. "That's it, Pete. That's all you have to do today. Just touch it. Just prove to yourself that you can." I stood at the edge of the creek with the cold water kissing my paws, and I felt something shift inside me—tectonic, deep, like the earth's plates realigning. I wasn't cured. The fear was still there, coiled in my belly like a cold stone. But I had touched the water, and the world hadn't ended. I hadn't been swept away. I was still Pete—still standing, still breathing, still surrounded by love. And that, I realized, was what courage looked like. Not the absence of fear, but the willingness to stand at its edge and dip one trembling paw into the current. Luna pressed her nose to my ear. "You did it," she whispered. And the way she said it—soft, proud, genuine—made me feel like the bravest Puggle in the entire universe. --- ## Chapter Five: The Trail That Vanished and the Darkness That Fell After the creek, we continued deeper into the park along a trail that grew progressively narrower and less defined. The well-worn path gave way to a faint track through dense undergrowth—blackberry brambles, ferns waist-high, and saplings that crowded together like commuters on a busy sidewalk. The canopy thickened overhead until the sky was barely visible, just fragments of blue peeking through the green like shy eyes behind a curtain. Lenny checked his phone. "Signal's getting weak. We should probably turn back soon." But Roman had spotted something—a narrow side trail leading uphill through a stand of ancient Douglas firs, their bark thick and furrowed like the covers of very old books. "Come on, let's just check what's up there. Five minutes." Mariya hesitated. "Lenny, maybe we should stick to the main trail." "Five minutes," Lenny agreed, already following Roman. I bounded after Roman, Luna trotting beside me, and for a while it was wonderful—the forest was cool and dark and fragrant, and the ground was soft with years of fallen needles. But five minutes turned into ten, and ten into twenty, and gradually I realized that the trail had disappeared entirely. We were no longer following a path—we were pushing through raw, unmarked forest, and every direction looked the same. The trees pressed closer, their branches reaching down like grasping fingers, and the light began to change. It wasn't just the canopy blocking the sun—the sun itself was sinking, the afternoon sliding toward evening with the slow inevitability of a closing book. Shadows lengthened, deepened, merged. The greens turned to gray, the gold to amber, and then to something darker. My heart began its familiar race. "Roman?" I barked, but it came out thin and reedy. He turned, and I saw the first flicker of concern cross his face. "We should head back," he called to Lenny. But which way was back? The forest had swallowed our trail like a mouth swallowing a secret. Every tree looked identical—tall, dark, indifferent. The birds had gone quiet, and in their silence, the forest revealed its true voice: creaking branches, rustling unseen things in the underbrush, the distant and now mocking sound of the creek. I was separated from Lenny and Mariya—Roman had wandered ahead with me and Luna, and when we turned around, the space where the others had been was empty. Just trees. Just shadow. Just the growing dark. Panic hit me like a physical blow—a cold, crushing weight on my chest that made it impossible to breathe. Separated. I was separated from my family. The fear of the dark and the fear of being alone collided inside me like two storm fronts meeting, and together they produced something monstrous: a complete, suffocating terror that turned my bones to water. I couldn't see clearly. The shadows had faces now—long, twisted, grinning faces that leered from behind every trunk. My imagination, my gift, my storyteller's mind, had turned traitor again, conjuring horrors from every dark corner. *They're gone. They left you. You're lost in the dark and no one is coming.* The voice in my head was cold and relentless. I crouched low against the ground, pressing my belly to the earth, making myself as small as possible. Luna stood over me, her body a warm, protective shield. "Pete. Breathe. They're not gone. They're looking for us right now. I can hear them calling." I couldn't hear anything over the thundering of my own heart. But Luna's voice—steady, calm, sure—cut through the noise like a knife through fog. "Close your eyes," she said. "Listen with me. Not with your ears. With your heart. Can you feel them? They're out there. And they will never stop looking for you." I closed my eyes. And beneath the fear, beneath the darkness, beneath the screaming voice that said I was alone, I felt it—a thin, golden thread of connection that stretched between me and Roman, me and Lenny, me and Mariya. It wasn't a sound or a sight. It was a knowing. A warmth. A certainty that love doesn't need proximity to exist. I opened my eyes, and the shadows were just shadows. The forest was just a forest. And I was still Pete—scared, yes, but not broken. Never broken. "Okay," I whispered to Luna. "Okay. I'm ready. Let's find our way back." --- ## Chapter Six: Laika Descends from the Stars The darkness deepened. It pressed against us like a living thing—heavy, total, absolute. The last sliver of daylight had been swallowed by the western horizon, and the forest had transformed into a cathedral of shadow where every sound was amplified and distorted. A twig snap became a gunshot. An owl's hoot became a warning. The wind through the branches became a chorus of whispers that seemed to speak in a language just beyond understanding. Luna walked close beside me, her shoulder brushing mine, her breath a steady rhythm that I tried to match. But my own breathing was ragged, torn between fear of the dark and fear of never finding our way back to Lenny and Mariya. I had never been so scared in my short, story-filled life. And then, without warning, the night split open. A streak of silver light tore across the sky like a crack in a porcelain bowl, blinding in its intensity, and the air around us hummed with a vibration I felt in my teeth, my bones, my very soul. The light descended—not like a falling star, but with intention, with purpose, with grace. It landed in a clearing fifty feet ahead of us, and where it touched the earth, the darkness recoiled like a hand jerked away from a flame. The light coalesced, took shape, and from within it emerged a dog. But not just any dog. She was medium-sized, with a compact, muscular build and a coat that seemed to shimmer between tan and silver depending on the angle of the impossible light that still clung to her like a aura. Her eyes were deep, ancient, knowing—eyes that had seen things no other living creature had seen. Eyes that had looked down at the Earth from above the atmosphere and understood, in a way that words could never capture, how small and how precious and how beautiful our blue world truly is. "No way," Luna breathed, and for the first time since I'd met her, her dignified composure cracked. "Is that...?" The dog approached us with a calm, measured grace that made Luna's elegance look like a schoolgirl's fumbling. She stopped before us and regarded me with eyes that held the depth of space itself. "Hello, Pete," she said, and her voice was like nothing I'd ever heard—it carried the resonance of stars, the gentleness of a mother's lullaby, and the quiet authority of someone who had faced the ultimate darkness and returned. "My name is Laika. And I've been waiting for you." I stared. "Laika? The Laika? The dog who went to space in 1957?" She nodded slowly. "The same. But the story they told you wasn't the whole truth. I didn't die up there, Pete. I transcended. I passed through the fabric of time itself, and I came back. Not to the world I left—that world is gone—but to moments where I'm needed. And right now, you need me." "There's something in the woods," Luna said, her ears flat, her body tense. "I've been smelling it. Something wrong. Something dangerous." Laika's eyes shifted to the darkness beyond our small circle of light. "Yes. I've seen it. A creature born from fear itself—a Shadow Hound. It feeds on terror, Pete. It grows larger with every frightened thought you have. It's been following you since the creek, feeding on your fear of the water, the dark, the separation. It wants to consume you entirely." The temperature dropped. The shadows at the edge of the clearing began to move—not with wind, but with intent. They coalesced, thickened, formed something massive and dark and wrong. A shape like a dog but distorted, stretched, its eyes hollow voids that radiated cold. It was my fear made manifest. Every tremor, every flattened ear, every panicked breath I'd taken had fed it, and now it stood before me, vast and terrible and hungry. The Shadow Hound lunged. I screamed—a raw, primal sound that tore from my throat. But Laika was faster. She stepped between me and the darkness, and from her body erupted a light so pure, so blazing, so absolute that the Shadow Hound shrieked and recoiled. The light wasn't just brightness—it was something deeper. It was the light of every dog who had ever loved a human, every human who had ever loved a dog. It was the light of courage chosen in the face of certain darkness. Laika's form blazed like a comet, and she fired beams of radiant energy from her eyes that struck the Shadow Hound like hammers of starlight. The creature howled—a sound like ice cracking, like mirrors breaking—and began to dissolve, its shadowy form fragmenting into pieces that evaporated in the golden light. "You can't defeat fear by running from it, Pete!" Laika called over the roar of her light. "You defeat it by standing in it! By choosing to be afraid and stepping forward anyway!" I looked at Luna, who stood firm beside me, her eyes blazing with defiance. I looked at Laika, who had crossed the void of space and time to save a frightened Puggle she'd never met. And I stepped forward. Into the dark. Into the light. Into the moment. I barked—not a yip, not a whimper, but a full, deep, resonant bark that came from the very center of who I was. The bark hit the Shadow Hound like a cannon shot, and with a final, terrible scream, it shattered into nothing. Gone. Just gone. And in its place, silence—warm, golden, peaceful silence. --- ## Chapter Seven: Roman Finds Us The forest was different after the Shadow Hound dissolved. The darkness remained—it was still night, after all—but it had lost its menace. The shadows were just shadows again, the sounds just sounds. An owl hooted softly from somewhere overhead, and this time it sounded like what it was: a bird going about its evening. The trees stood still and patient, their branches no longer reaching but simply being. Laika sat beside me, her glow dimming to a soft, gentle luminescence that lit our immediate surroundings like a campfire made of moonlight. Luna lay beside me, her warm body pressed against mine, and I felt her heart beating steady and strong—a metronome of calm in the quiet aftermath of chaos. "Will the Shadow Hound come back?" I asked Laika, my voice small but no longer trembling. Laika looked at me with those ancient, starlit eyes. "Fear never truly disappears, Pete. It will return in different forms—new waters, new darknesses, new moments of separation. But now you know its secret. It's only as powerful as the belief you give it. When you choose courage, when you choose love, when you choose to step forward even when every fiber of your being screams to run—fear shrinks. It becomes what it was always meant to be: not a master, but a teacher. Not a wall, but a door." I let her words settle into me like rain into dry earth. "Why did you come for me?" I asked. "Because someone came for me, once," Laika replied, and something flickered in her eyes—memory, gratitude, the echo of a love that transcended time. "Before I launched, the scientists who cared for me—some of them loved me. Truly loved me. And that love didn't disappear when I left the atmosphere. It traveled with me, across the fabric of time, and it taught me that love is the one force that survives everything. Even space. Even death. Even the darkest dark." Luna nuzzled my ear. "You were incredible, Pete. That bark—I've never heard anything like it. It was like the whole forest shook." I felt a blush spread beneath my white fur. "I think Laika deserves the credit. She basically vaporized a shadow monster with her eyes." Laika laughed—a sound like wind chimes in a gentle breeze. "I destroyed its form. But you destroyed its root. The bark came from you, Pete. From your courage. That was all yours." I sat with them in the quiet dark, and for the first time in my life, I felt peace with the night. It wasn't empty or threatening. It was full—full of cricket songs and rustling leaves and the distant murmur of the creek that had once terrified me and now sounded, from far away, almost like music. And then, cutting through the night like a blade of hope: "PETE! LUNA! WHERE ARE YOU?" Roman. I was on my feet before the echo faded, barking with everything I had. "ROMAN! WE'RE HERE! WE'RE HERE!" His flashlight beam swept through the trees like a searching angel, and then he was there—crashing through the underbrush, his face wild with worry that broke into staggering relief when he saw me. He dropped to his knees and I launched myself into his arms, licking his face, his neck, his ears, every inch of him I could reach. "I found you," he gasped, holding me so tight I could feel his heartbeat against my chest. "I found you. I thought I'd lost you. Don't ever do that again, Pete. Don't ever disappear." I looked at him with all the love a small, white, makeup-eyed Puggle could hold and barked once, softly. *I won't. I promise. I won't.* Luna pressed her head against Roman's leg, and even Laika, standing a little apart, allowed herself a quiet, knowing smile. Roman noticed her and blinked. "Who's your friend?" I looked at Laika, and she gave me the smallest nod. "That's Laika," I said, in the way that dogs say things—through the eyes, through the heart, through the bond that needs no translation. Roman looked at the glowing dog and, to his eternal credit, didn't question it. "Well," he said, wiping his eyes, "any friend of Pete's is a friend of mine. Let's go home." --- ## Chapter Eight: The Walk Home and the Story We Became We walked back through the forest as a family—Lenny and Mariya rushing to meet us halfway, their faces crumpling with relief and love as they swept me into their arms. Mariya held me against her chest and whispered into my fur, "Never again, my baby. Never again will I let the forest take you from me." Lenny stood beside Roman, one hand on his son's shoulder, the other reaching down to stroke Luna's head. "You found them," Lenny said, and his voice was thick with emotion. "You went into the dark and you found them." Roman nodded, but his eyes were wet. "I had to, Dad. He's my brother." The word hung in the air—brother—and I felt it settle into my bones like a warm stone. Not just a pet. Not just a dog. A brother. Laika walked beside us for a while, her glow fading as we approached the park's entrance, the lights of the parking lot growing brighter ahead. "I have to go now," she said quietly, stopping at the edge of the trees. I turned to her, and my heart squeezed painfully. "Will I see you again?" Laika's eyes softened with a tenderness that spanned galaxies. "Whenever you face a fear you think you can't overcome, I'll be there. Not always visible. Not always in light. But


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 *** 2026-10-02T22:38:59.520435700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 ***"🐾 ...