Followers Woof Woof :)

Friday, August 7, 2026

# *** The Great Saw Mill Park Adventure of Pete the Puggle *** 2026-08-07T13:26:31.742353200

"# *** The Great Saw Mill Park Adventure of Pete the Puggle ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Morning of Marvels The sun crept over the rooftops like a golden retriever stretching itself awake, and I—Pete the Puggle—was already vibrating with excitement at the foot of Lenny and Mariya's bed. My short, velvety white fur was freshly brushed, and the playful streaks of makeup around my eyes—little dashes of cocoa-brown and shimmering cream that Mariya had carefully applied—made me feel like the most dashing adventurer in the entire world. Today was the day. Today, we were going to Saw Mill Park. "Wake up, wake up, WAKE UP!" I barked, leaping onto the mattress with the grace of a furry cannonball. Lenny groaned and pulled the pillow over his head, but I could see his smile creeping underneath. Mariya laughed—that warm, musical laugh that sounded like wind chimes in a summer breeze—and scooped me into her arms. "Good morning, my little storyteller," she whispered, scratching behind my ears in that exact spot that turned my legs to jelly. "Are you ready for our big adventure?" "Ready? I was BORN ready!" I yipped, though what came out was more of a delighted yodel. I wiggled free and scampered down the hallway to Roman's room, where my older brother was still buried under a fortress of blankets. I nosed the door open with my wet snout and launched myself onto his chest. "Ugh—Pete! Dude! It's like six in the morning!" Roman grumbled, but I could tell from the way his arms immediately wrapped around me that he wasn't really mad. Roman was like that—playful yet protective, grumbly on the outside but marshmallow-soft on the inside. He was my best friend in the whole world, and sometimes, when he chased me around the backyard with the garden hose, he was also my greatest rival. "Roman, today is SAW MILL PARK DAY!" I licked his face enthusiastically. "There will be trails! And trees! And maybe squirrels! And a CREEK!" At the word "creek," I felt a tiny shiver run through my paws. I had heard stories about the creek at Saw Mill Park—how it gurgled and rushed over smooth stones, how it sometimes rose high enough to splash over the banks. I had never actually been in water deeper than my bathtub, and while the bathtub was fine—well, mostly fine—the idea of a whole creek made my heart do a strange, fluttery thing, like a trapped butterfly in my chest. But I pushed the feeling away. Today was for adventure. Today was for glory. By seven o'clock, the whole family was in the kitchen. Lenny stood at the stove flipping pancakes with the concentration of a master chef, wearing an apron that read "DAD'S KITCHEN: ENTER AT OWN RISK." Mariya was packing an enormous cooler with sandwiches, fruit, water bottles, and—my favorite—a bag of tiny dog treats that smelled like peanut butter and heaven. Roman was at the table, lacing up his hiking boots and telling me about all the cool things he'd read about Saw Mill Park online. "There's a forest trail that goes all the way to this old mill site," Roman said, his eyes bright with excitement. "And there's a meadow where deer sometimes come out at dusk. And the creek has this spot where you can wade in—" "Roman! Language!" I barked. "Not the creek word before breakfast!" Roman laughed. "Okay, okay. No creek talk until you've eaten." Lenny slid a plate of pancakes onto the table and turned to me with that warm, wise expression he always wore when something important was about to happen. "Pete," he said, kneeling down to my level, "today's going to be a big day. There might be things that seem scary—new places, new experiences. But I want you to remember something." "What, Dad?" "What do you call a dog that can do magic?" Lenny grinned. I groaned. "I don't know, Dad. What?" "A Labracadabrador!" Roman threw a napkin. Mariya snorted. I rolled my eyes so hard I nearly tipped over. But underneath the silliness, I felt Lenny's big hand rest gently on my head, and I understood what he was really saying: *You're safe. We're together. You can be brave.* And so, with full bellies and full hearts, we loaded into the family SUV and set off toward Saw Mill Park, the morning light streaming through the windows like liquid gold, painting us all in the colors of possibility. --- ## Chapter Two: Arrival at Saw Mill Park The park entrance rose before us like the gateway to a kingdom. Towering oaks and silver birches lined both sides of the gravel path, their leaves whispering secrets to one another in a language older than words. A wooden sign, carved with the words "SAW MILL PARK — EST. 1987," stood at the threshold, draped in ivy and morning glory vines that seemed to wave at us as we passed. The air smelled of pine needles, damp earth, and something sweet—wild honeysuckle, maybe, or the ghost of wildflowers long past. "Oh, it's even more beautiful than the pictures," Mariya breathed, her eyes wide with that particular wonder she reserved for things that reminded her the world was alive and magical. She knelt beside me and let me sniff the air. "What do you think, Pete? Smell that? That's adventure." I inhaled deeply. The scents layered themselves in my nose like instruments in an orchestra—sharp pine, soft moss, distant water, warm stone, and underneath it all, the musky, earthy smell of the forest itself, alive and breathing. My tail wagged so fast it was practically a helicopter blade. "Alright, team," Lenny announced, consulting a paper map he'd brought along (because Lenny didn't trust phones—he said they lacked "the soul of navigation"). "We've got three trails, a meadow, a creek crossing, and the old mill site. I say we start with the forest trail and work our way to the meadow for lunch." "Sounds perfect," Roman agreed, hoisting his backpack onto his shoulders. He looked down at me. "You ready, little bro?" "Born ready," I repeated, though my voice came out smaller this time, because just beyond the tree line, I could hear it—the distant, rushing sound of water. The creek. My paws tingled. My stomach did a slow, uncomfortable flip, like a pancake that wasn't quite ready to be turned. We set off down the forest trail, and for a while, everything was magnificent. Shafts of sunlight pierced the canopy like spotlights on a stage, illuminating patches of fern and clover. Squirrels chattered at us from the branches, their tails flicking with indignant curiosity. A butterfly—one with wings the color of a sunset—landed on my nose, and I held perfectly still, hardly breathing, savoring the impossible lightness of its tiny feet. "This is incredible," Roman said, snapping photos with his phone. "Pete, look at this tree—it's got to be two hundred years old." I gazed up at the ancient oak he was pointing to. Its trunk was wider than Lenny was tall, its bark deeply furrowed like the wrinkles on a wise old face. I pressed my nose to it and breathed in. It smelled of time itself—of storms survived, seasons turned, and roots that refused to let go. "Mr. Tree," I whispered, "you've seen a lot of creeks, haven't you? Are they... are they scary?" The tree, of course, said nothing. But a breeze rustled its leaves, and it almost sounded like a gentle laugh. As the trail curved deeper into the forest, the sound of water grew louder. I could smell it now—not just the distant, mineral tang I'd caught earlier, but the full, rich scent of moving water: wet stone, cool moss, the green perfume of river plants. My heart began to pound. Each step forward felt heavier, like my paws were filling with sand. And then the trees parted, and I saw it. The creek was wider than I'd imagined—a rushing, sparkling band of silver and blue that cut across the trail like a ribbon across a gift. Water tumbled over smooth gray stones, sending up tiny sprays that caught the light and threw rainbows into the air. On the far side, the trail continued up a gentle slope into deeper forest. There was no bridge. No detour. To go forward, we had to cross. I stopped dead in my tracks. "Pete? You okay, buddy?" Roman's voice came from ahead. He'd already stepped to the edge of the creek, his boots on the wet stones. "I..." My throat was dry. My legs were shaking. The water looked so fast, so deep, so powerful. What if it pulled me under? What if I couldn't swim? What if the current swept me away and I never saw my family again? The fear rose in me like black water in a flooded basement—cold, suffocating, relentless. "I can't," I whispered. "Roman, I can't go in there." --- ## Chapter Three: The Creek and the Courage Roman turned back toward me, and the moment he saw my face, his expression shifted from excitement to tenderness. He knelt on the wet stones and held out his hand. "Hey. Hey, look at me, Pete." I dragged my eyes from the churning water to my brother's face. His eyes were steady, calm, the color of warm honey in the dappled light. "It's okay to be scared," he said softly. "You know that, right? Being scared doesn't make you weak. It makes you honest." Lenny and Mariya had stopped a few yards ahead and were watching us with gentle concern. Lenny started to say something—probably another joke—but Mariya touched his arm and shook her head. This was Roman's moment. This was between brothers. "I've never been in real water before," I admitted, my voice trembling. "What if it's too fast? What if I sink? What if—" "Pete," Roman said firmly but kindly, "do you remember when you first came to live with us? You were scared of the stairs. You wouldn't go up or down. You sat at the bottom and cried for an hour." I remembered. I'd been so small then, so new to everything. "And then what happened?" Roman asked. "You... you sat with me. For a long time. And then you went up one step and waited. And then another step. And I followed you. One step at a time." "One step at a time," Roman repeated. "That's all we have to do. We don't have to cross the whole creek right now. We just have to take one step." He rolled up his pants, took off his boots and socks, and waded into the creek. The water was shallow here—barely up to his ankles. He turned and extended his hand again. "One step, Pete. Just one." My heart was a drum, pounding so hard I thought it might burst from my chest like a bird from a cage. The water roared in my ears—or maybe that was my own blood, my own fear, screaming at me to run, to hide, to stay on the safe, dry shore where nothing could hurt me. But then I looked at Roman's face. At his open hand. At his patient, loving eyes. And I thought about what Lenny had said that morning—*You're safe. We're together. You can be brave.* I lifted one paw. It hovered over the water, trembling. The creek sparkled up at me, neither cruel nor kind—just water, being water, doing what water does. I set my paw down. The cold hit me like a shock, sharp and electric. The water rushed around my ankle, cool and alive, tugging gently at my fur. I gasped—but I didn't sink. I didn't fall. I was standing. "That's it!" Roman cheered. "That's one step! Now another!" I took a second step. The water rose to my belly. It was colder here, and the current pushed against my legs with surprising force. I whimpered, my claws digging into the smooth stones beneath the surface. "You're doing it, Pete! You're doing it!" Mariya called from the shore, her voice thick with emotion. "You're so brave!" One more step. And another. The water was up to my chest now, rushing and bubbling around me. I was shaking all over, but I kept my eyes locked on Roman, who was wading backward ahead of me, his hands outstretched, his smile a lighthouse in the storm of my fear. And then—suddenly—I was across. My paws found the dry stones on the far bank, and Roman scooped me up in his arms, laughing and soaking wet. "YOU DID IT!" he shouted, spinning me around. "Pete, you did it! You crossed the creek!" Lenny and Mariya splashed across behind us, and soon I was buried in a pile of hugs and kisses and warm, proud hands. Lenny ruffled my ears and whispered, "That's my brave boy." Mariya kissed my forehead and said, "You faced your fear, and your fear blinked first." I was trembling, exhilarated, transformed. The creek hadn't swallowed me. The current hadn't pulled me under. I had walked through my fear and come out the other side—wet, shaking, and alive. The water dripped from my fur like melted courage, and for the first time that day, I felt the intoxicating thrill of having done something I thought I couldn't do. "Okay," I said, shaking myself off and sending a spray of water in every direction, "what's next?" Roman grinned. "The deep forest. And the old mill." We pressed on, and the forest grew thicker, darker, more mysterious. The trees leaned closer together here, their branches interlocking overhead like the fingers of old friends. The light changed—filtered, green, and uncertain, like the memory of sunlight rather than sunlight itself. The sounds of the creek faded behind us, replaced by the rustle of unseen creatures and the distant knock of a woodpecker. And then, at the base of an enormous hollow log, I saw something that made me stop in my tracks. Two eyes—bright, green, and absolutely unmistakable—stared back at me from the shadows. "Don't move," said a voice. "And don't panic. I'm friendly. Mostly." --- ## Chapter Four: New Friends in the Deep Woods Out of the hollow log stepped a cat. He was lean and gray, with a white chest and paws that moved with the casual, liquid confidence that only cats possess. His eyes were a vivid, intelligent green, and there was something about the set of his mouth—a slight, knowing smirk—that made me feel simultaneously nervous and fascinated. "Name's Tom," the cat said, sitting down and wrapping his tail around his paws with the air of a king settling onto his throne. "Tom the cat. I live in these woods. Well, near them. Technically I live in the ranger station, but I prefer the outdoors. More interesting. More mice." "Mice?" I asked, my ears perking up. "Did someone say my name?" came a tiny, bold voice from somewhere near Tom's left ear. And there, perched on the log above Tom's head, was a mouse. A small, brown mouse with enormous round ears, bright black eyes that sparkled with mischief, and a confidence that was wildly, almost absurdly, out of proportion with his size. "That's Jerry," Tom said, with the resigned tone of someone who had long ago accepted an inconvenient truth. "He's my... friend. I guess. We have a complicated history." "We're best friends!" Jerry corrected, leaping down onto Tom's head with zero regard for feline-mouse social protocol. "Tom just doesn't like to admit it because it hurts his tough-guy reputation." "I don't have a tough-guy reputation." "You absolutely do, Tom. You literally told that chipmunk last week that you were 'the terror of the meadow.'" "That chipmunk was stealing my sunflower seeds!" I couldn't help it—I laughed. A real, full-body laugh that made my whole tail wiggle. There was something instantly wonderful about these two—their bickering, their warmth, the obvious affection underneath the pretense of rivalry. They reminded me of Roman and me. "I'm Pete," I said, stepping forward. "Pete the Puggle. This is my family—Lenny, Mariya, and Roman. We're exploring Saw Mill Park today." Tom's eyes narrowed with interest. "A puggle, huh? Beagle-pug mix? That's a good combination. Nose of a beagle, stubbornness of a pug. You'll go far in these woods." "And the eyes," Jerry added, leaning close to examine my face. "Is that... makeup? You're wearing makeup?" "My mom put it on me," I said proudly. "She says it highlights my adventurous spirit." "I love your mom already," Jerry declared. Roman, who had been watching this exchange with delighted amazement, knelt beside me. "Did... did you just make friends with a cat and a mouse?" "I did! Roman, this is Tom and Jerry. They live here. Well, Tom lives at the ranger station, and Jerry lives wherever Jerry wants to live because he's apparently fearless." "I wouldn't say fearless," Jerry said, cleaning his whiskers. "I'd say... strategically brave. There's a difference. Fearlessness is not knowing to be afraid. Strategic bravery is knowing you should be afraid and doing the brave thing anyway." "That's actually really wise," I said, thinking about the creek. "Don't encourage him," Tom muttered. "His ego's already bigger than he is." We walked together—our family and our two new friends—deeper into the forest. Tom pointed out landmarks: the Whispering Pines, where the wind made sounds like distant voices; the Mossy Boulder, which was shaped exactly like a sleeping bear; and the Faerie Ring, a perfect circle of mushrooms that Mariya declared was "absolutely, definitely, scientifically magical." Jerry rode on my back, chattering nonstop about the park's history, its hidden paths, and the old mill site that lay at the heart of the forest. "It's incredible," he said, his tiny voice buzzing with excitement. "The mill wheel is still there—half of it, anyway. It's covered in moss and vines, and when the wind blows just right, it creaks like an old ship." "Sounds spooky," I said, and my tail gave an involuntary tuck. "It is spooky," Tom agreed, glancing at me with what I thought was genuine understanding. "But spooky isn't the same as dangerous. Spooky is just fear wearing a costume. Sometimes you have to pull off the mask and see what's underneath." I thought about that. *Fear wearing a costume.* Was that what the dark would be—just fear in a mask? What about being separated from my family? Was that just another costume on the same old fear? The trail narrowed and descended. The trees grew taller and closer, their crowns so thick that the sky disappeared entirely. The light turned from green to gray to a deep, velvety dusk. And ahead, through the branches, I could see it—the old mill, rising from the forest floor like a cathedral of wood and stone, ancient and magnificent and utterly, completely thrilling. "Welcome," Jerry whispered, "to the heart of Saw Mill Park." --- ## Chapter Five: The Old Mill and the Growing Dark The mill was breathtaking. Half its wall had crumbled away, revealing the interior like a dollhouse—old wooden gears, a stone floor cracked and softened by moss, and the great mill wheel, half-submerged in the creek that had once powered it. The wheel was enormous, its wooden spokes dark with age and draped in curtains of ivy. When the breeze caught it, it groaned and shifted, and for a moment, I could almost hear the ghosts of the grain it had ground, the lives it had sustained. "This is amazing," Roman breathed, pulling out his phone. "Pete, look at this place. It's like something out of a fantasy novel." "It's like something out of a *nightmare*," I said, though I didn't really mean it. The mill was beautiful, but it was also dark inside—deeply, profoundly dark, the kind of darkness that seemed to swallow light rather than merely absorb it. My eyes darted to the shadows in the corners, and my imagination—which was vivid, relentless, and sometimes my own worst enemy—began to populate those shadows with shapes. Clawed shapes. Glowing-eyed shapes. Shapes that moved when I wasn't looking and froze when I was. "Hey," Tom said, appearing beside me with his silent, catlike grace. "You're doing that thing again." "What thing?" "The thing where your eyes get really big and your tail goes flat and you look like you're about to either faint or run very fast in the opposite direction." "I'm fine," I said, in the exact tone that means the opposite of fine. Tom studied me for a moment, then said something that surprised me. "I used to be afraid of the dark too, you know." "You? You're a cat. You can see in the dark." "Seeing in the dark and being comfortable in the dark are two different things," Tom said quietly. "When I first came to these woods, I was a shelter cat. I'd spent my whole life in a cage with fluorescent lights. The dark was unknown. The unknown was terrifying. But then I realized something." "What?" "The dark is just the world with the lights off. Nothing changes. The trees are still the trees. The ground is still the ground. You're still you. The only thing the dark takes away is your sight—and you have four other senses that are just as good. Maybe better." I considered this. *The dark is just the world with the lights off.* It was such a simple idea, but it cracked something open inside me, like a key turning in a lock I didn't know I had. "Come on," Jerry called from the mill's doorway, where he was silhouetted against a sliver of fading light. "Let's explore the inside! There's a whole lower level where they used to store the flour bags. It's super cool." "Super cool and super dark," I muttered, but I followed. Inside the mill, the air was cool and smelled of old wood, damp stone, and something faintly sweet—grain dust, maybe, still lingering after all these years. Our footsteps echoed on the stone floor, and the sound was multiplied by the walls, bouncing and layering until it felt like we were walking through a chorus of our own ghosts. "This is so cool," Roman said, flashing his phone's light around. The beam caught dust motes drifting in the air like tiny planets, and the old gears cast long, spindly shadows on the walls. Lenny and Mariya wandered toward the far end of the mill, where a shaft of late-afternoon light fell through a gap in the roof. "Look at this," Mariya said, pointing to a carved stone above the old millstone. "There's a date—1889. This place has been here for over a hundred years." "Imagine the stories these walls could tell," Lenny said, his voice soft with reverence. I was so busy looking up at the carved stone, craning my neck to see the numbers, that I didn't notice the floor changing beneath me. The stone slabs gave way to older, looser stones, and before I could react, the ground shifted. A stone tilted. My paws slipped. I scrambled, claws scraping against rock— "PETE!" Roman shouted. —and then I was sliding, tumbling down a rough wooden chute that had once carried grain to the lower level. The world spun—stone, wood, light, dark, light, dark—and I landed with a soft *thump* on a pile of old, decomposing burlap sacks that were so old they had become part of the earth. I sat up, dizzy, and looked around. It was dark. Very dark. The kind of dark that pressed against your eyes like velvet. I could hear the creek somewhere below me, rushing and gurgling, and the faint creak of the old mill wheel above. But I couldn't see Roman. I couldn't see Lenny or Mariya. I couldn't see anyone. "Roman?" I called, and my voice sounded small and thin in the vast, dark space. "ROMAN? DAD? MOM?" Nothing. Only the echo of my own voice, swallowed by the dark. My heart began to race—not the excited kind of racing, but the kind that feels like a trapped bird throwing itself against the walls of its cage. I was alone. I was in the dark. I was separated from my family. Every fear I had ever felt—the creek, the shadows, the unknown—converged into a single, overwhelming wave that crashed over me like cold water. *You're alone. You're in the dark. No one knows where you are. You'll never get out.* The thoughts came fast and merciless, like wolves circling a campfire. I curled into a ball on the old burlap sacks and pressed my nose against my paws, and for the first time that day, I felt true, bone-deep terror. --- ## Chapter Six: Alone in the Dark I don't know how long I lay there. Minutes, maybe. It felt like hours. The dark was so complete that I couldn't tell if my eyes were open or closed, and that uncertainty made everything worse. My mind, which was usually my greatest asset—a fount of stories, imaginings, and grand adventures—turned against me, filling the blackness with every terrible thing I could conjure. I thought of the water rising, flooding this lower chamber, pulling me under. I thought of the mill wheel groaning loose and crashing through the floor. I thought of my family walking away, not noticing I was gone, leaving me here forever in this cold, dark, forgotten place. *Stop it,* I told myself. *Stop it, stop it, stop it.* But the fears were like weeds—pull one up, and three more grew in its place. And then, cutting through the dark like a beacon, I heard a voice. "Pete? PETE! Are you down there?" It was Tom. "I'm here!" I barked, and my voice cracked with relief. "I'm down here! I fell through the floor!" "Hold on! We're coming!" "We?" I whispered. And then I heard the unmistakable sound of tiny, determined paws. Jerry appeared at the edge of the chute, silhouetted against a faint glow—Tom had brought a glowstick, the kind hikers carry, and its green light painted the darkness like a small, defiant sunrise. "Hey, buddy," Jerry said, his voice gentle but steady. "You took quite a tumble. Are you hurt?" "No," I said, though I was shaking. "I'm just... I'm scared, Jerry. I'm really scared." Jerry nodded. "I know. And that's okay. Being scared in the dark, alone, after a fall? That's not weakness, Pete. That's being alive. Only dead things don't feel fear." Tom slid down the chute with feline grace and landed softly beside me. The glowstick cast his face in green and shadow, and his green eyes were kind—kinder than I'd ever seen them. "Listen to me," Tom said. "I'm going to tell you something my mother told me when I was a kitten, before I went to the shelter and lost her. She said: *Courage isn't the absence of fear, Pete. It's the decision that something else matters more.*" "Something else matters more," I repeated, the words settling into me like seeds into soil. "What matters more to you?" Jerry asked, sitting on my paw and looking up at me with those bright, fearless eyes. I thought about it. I thought about Roman, who had held out his hand in the creek. I thought about Lenny, who knelt to my level and told me I was brave. I thought about Mariya, who saw magic in the ordinary and who had put makeup on my eyes to remind me I was an adventurer. I thought about Tom and Jerry, who had come into the dark for me without hesitation. "Getting back to my family," I said. "Getting back to them matters more than the dark matters." "Then let's go," Tom said. We moved through the lower chamber of the mill together, Tom carrying the glowstick in his mouth, Jerry riding on my back, and me walking on legs that trembled but did not stop. The chamber was long and narrow, with a low ceiling and walls of rough, damp stone. The air smelled of earth and age. Water dripped somewhere in the distance—a steady, rhythmic sound that was almost musical. "There," Jerry said, pointing with a tiny paw. "That tunnel—it leads outside. I've used it before. It comes out near the creek, just downstream from where you crossed earlier." I looked at the tunnel. It was narrow—barely wide enough for me to squeeze through—and very, very dark. Even the glowstick's light didn't reach the end. "That's the way home?" I asked. "That's the way home," Jerry confirmed. I stared into the tunnel. My fear surged—cold, black, absolute. It told me to stay, to wait, to hope someone else would come. But deeper than the fear, steadier and more certain, was something else. A warmth. A pull. The knowledge that my family was on the other side of the dark, and that they were looking for me, and that I would walk through any darkness in the world to get back to them. "Okay," I said. "Let's go." I squeezed into the tunnel. The walls pressed against my sides—stone and earth, cold and close. I could feel the weight of the mill above me, the weight of the hill, the weight of the world. My breath came short and fast. The dark was absolute—so thick I felt like I was swimming through it. "You're doing great, Pete," Jerry whispered from my back. "One paw at a time. Just like the creek." One paw. Then another. The tunnel seemed to go on forever, but I kept moving, kept breathing, kept thinking of Roman's face, Lenny's laugh, Mariya's voice. I thought about the stairs—the stairs I'd been afraid of when I was little—and how Roman had sat with me and gone one step at a time. I could do this. I *was* doing this. And then—fresh air. A breeze, cool and sweet, carrying the scent of pine and water. I saw light ahead—not the green of the glowstick, but real light, silver and fading, the light of an evening sky. I burst out of the tunnel and onto the bank of the creek. The sky above was the deep, bruised blue of twilight, streaked with purple and gold. The trees stood like sentinels against the fading light, and the creek glittered with the last reflections of the sun. I was out. I was free. I had walked through the dark and come out the other side. But my family was nowhere in sight. "Roman?" I called. "DAD? MOM?" Only the creek answered, gurgling over its stones, indifferent and eternal. My fear, which had retreated in the tunnel, surged again. *You're still alone. You're still lost. The dark is coming back—it's almost night—and you're—* "No," I said out loud, firmly, surprising even myself. "No. I crossed the creek. I survived the mill. I walked through the dark. I am not going to let fear win now." Tom and Jerry emerged from the tunnel behind me. Tom looked at me with something new in his eyes—respect, maybe, or recognition. "You've changed, Pete," Tom said quietly. "You're not the same dog who was afraid of the creek this morning." "No," I agreed, and for the first time, I smiled in the dark. "I'm not." --- ## Chapter Seven: Roman Finds Us The twilight deepened around us like a blanket being drawn over the world. The trees, which had been friendly sentinels in the daylight, now stretched their shadows long and lean across the forest floor, and the sounds of the park changed—the daytime chorus of birds and squirrels gave way to


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight *** 2026-10-02T11:16:36.091009400

"*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight ***"🐾 ...