"*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight ***"🐾
**Chapter One: The Road to Aaron Drive Park** The morning sun spilled gold across the dashboard as our car rattled toward Aaron Drive Park, and I, Pete the Puggle, pressed my nose to the window until it fogged into a little moon of excitement. My white fur tingled from my ears to my tail, and the playful streaks around my eyes felt like war paint for adventure. “Easy, comet pup,” Lenny laughed from the driver’s seat, warm as toast. “The park isn’t going anywhere.” Mariya turned around, her eyes bright with that curious sparkle that made ordinary pebbles seem like buried treasure. “Oh, but Pete,” she said, “parks are never just parks. They’re doors.” Roman sat beside me with George, his Navy friend, whose shoulders looked broad enough to carry a ship and whose smile said he had already forgiven the ocean for every wave it had ever thrown at him. “First time seeing the big pond at Aaron Drive?” George asked me. I wagged, then stopped wagging, because the word *pond* opened a cold little door in my belly. I had told everyone I was brave. I had barked at vacuum cleaners, challenged thunder from under the blanket, and once stared down a garden gnome until Roman begged me to “stop making it weird.” But water—deep, shining, moving water—was different. It breathed. It hid things. It reflected the sky while secretly swallowing the ground. In my mind, the pond at Aaron Drive Park became a blue-black mouth ringed with reeds like teeth. *What if it pulls me under?* I thought. *What if my paws forget how to be paws?* Roman nudged me gently. “You’re doing the quiet thing,” he said. “Your tail is saying no while your face is saying maybe.” I tried to grin. “I’m saving my courage for the dramatic part.” George leaned closer, voice low and steady. “In the Navy, we learned courage isn’t the absence of fear. It’s fear with a leash on, walking beside you.” When we arrived, Aaron Drive Park unfolded like a green quilt stitched with wildflowers, oak shadows, and the silver thread of the pond beyond the hill. Children laughed near the swings; ducks argued over bread politics; somewhere a kite wrestled the wind and lost beautifully. Lenny unpacked sandwiches with the seriousness of a general feeding an army. Mariya breathed in deeply. “Smell that? Cut grass, sun-warmed bark, and just a little mystery.” Roman tossed me a tennis ball, and for one shining minute I forgot the pond entirely. Then the breeze changed, carrying wet moss and cool ripples toward my nose. My ears lowered. Beyond the picnic tables, the water glittered—too bright, too patient. George followed my gaze. “We don’t have to go near it,” he said. “But if we do, we go together.” I wanted to believe him. I really did. Still, as I trotted after my family, my paws felt like four small anchors dragging behind my heart. **Chapter Two: George, the Swimmer, and the Shining Fear** At the edge of the pond, the world changed temperature. The air grew cooler, softer, as if the water exhaled secrets into the reeds. Dragonflies stitched blue sparks above cattails, and minnows flickered beneath the surface like living punctuation. Mariya crouched beside me. “Look, Pete—the pond is full of tiny galaxies.” I looked, but all I saw was depth. My reflection trembled on the surface: white fur, bright eye-streaks, and behind me the faces of everyone I loved. Lenny tossed a pebble; it vanished with a *plip*, and my whole body flinched. “That’s it,” I whispered. “That’s the sound of disappearing.” Roman heard me. He always heard the things I didn’t quite say. “Pete,” he said, kneeling so our eyes were level, “nothing here wants to take you.” George sat on a flat rock, unlacing his shoes. “When I was learning rescue swimming,” he said, “I was scared too. Not of drowning—of failing someone who needed me. Fear gets fancy when it grows up.” I stared at him. “You? Afraid?” George laughed, and the sound rolled over the water like a friendly boat. “Terrified. First night training, the pool lights went out during a drill. Dark water everywhere. I thought the black underneath had teeth.” My ears shot up. *Dark water. Teeth. Yes, exactly.* “What did you do?” I asked. “I found the edge,” he said. “Then I found my breath. Then I found my buddy. Fear shrinks when you give it directions.” Roman dipped a stick into the pond and drew a silver line. “See? It’s not endless. It has edges. It has rules.” Lenny added, “And lifeguards named George who look suspiciously like friendly sea captains.” Mariya smiled. “And a puggle who is allowed to be brave in chapters, not all at once.” A sudden splash made me leap backward into Roman’s legs. A duck exploded from the reeds, indignant and feathered, scolding us in duck language. Everyone laughed—except me, at first. My heart hammered so hard I could hear it in my teeth. Then George did something wonderful: he laughed too, not at me, but with the absurdity of a dog defeated by a duck. “Admiral Quackers,” he saluted. “We mean no harm.” That broke the spell. A giggle bubbled out of me, small but real. Roman offered his palm. “One paw on the wet sand?” he asked. I hesitated. The pond lapped near my claws, cold as a rumor. I placed one paw down. The water touched me and did not devour me. It simply said hello in a shivery voice. “There,” Roman whispered. “Chapter one of brave.” **Chapter Three: Laika Falls Out of the Sky** We were following the pine trail that curled behind Aaron Drive Park when the afternoon folded like paper and dropped a star at our feet. Not a burning star—something softer, rounder, wrapped in silver light and smelling faintly of cosmic dust and old courage. The light peeled open, and there stood a dog unlike any I had ever met: slender, bright-eyed, with fur the color of moonlit snow and a gaze that had seen Earth from above and forgiven it anyway. “Laika,” she said simply, as if her name were a door everyone should know. Roman froze. George’s hand went halfway to a salute before he caught himself. Mariya gasped, “Oh my goodness,” while Lenny whispered, “Well, that’s not in the park brochure.” I barked once, then hid behind Roman’s shoe, because even brave storytellers need a shoe sometimes. Laika tilted her head. “Pete,” she said, and my name in her mouth sounded older than rockets and newer than tomorrow. “You carry three shadows: water, darkness, and the fear of losing your pack.” My tail stopped. “How do you know that?” “I listened from very far away,” she answered. “In 1957, I went where no dog should go. The stars were beautiful and terribly lonely. I learned that being lost is not the same as being gone.” George stepped forward, voice rough. “Ma’am, with respect—how are you here?” Laika’s eyes gleamed. “Time is a fabric. I chew through it when someone needs me.” Lenny nodded solemnly. “That is either the best or worst thing I’ve heard at a picnic.” Mariya reached out, slow and gentle, and Laika pressed her nose into Mom’s hand like she had known us forever. Before anyone could ask the thousand questions buzzing in the air, a crack split the path behind us. Not thunder—something meaner. The trees leaned away as a gust of black wind spiraled up from the ravine, carrying leaves, gravel, and a smell like burnt pennies. Laika’s body stiffened. “A Hollow,” she growled. “Fear given teeth.” The wind shaped itself into a tall, wavering creature with no face, only an open mouth where dusk poured out. My three shadows rose inside me at once: water roaring, darkness yawning, and the unbearable thought—*what if I can’t find them?* Roman grabbed my collar. “Stay close!” But the Hollow exhaled, and the trail twisted. One blink later, my family’s voices were on the other side of a wall of whirling leaves, calling my name from a world suddenly too far away. **Chapter Four: Separated in the Green Maze** The wind spat George, Laika, and me into a hollow of ferns where the light turned green and underwater, though no pond stood near. I spun in circles, barking until my throat scraped. “Roman! Lenny! Mariya!” Only echoes answered, wearing my family’s voices like masks. Panic galloped through me, hot and wild. *This is it,* my fear hissed. *The separation. The empty blanket. The car driving away without you.* My legs shook so hard the ferns shivered around me. George dropped to one knee and gripped my shoulders. “Pete, look at me. Not the trees. Me.” His eyes were steady blue, Navy-calm. “We are not lost. We are temporarily unlocated.” Laika snorted. “Humans and their phrases.” But she pressed her shoulder to mine, warm despite the starlight in her fur. “We need high ground,” George said, scanning the maze of trunks. “And quiet.” Laika closed her eyes; silver whiskers trembled. “The Hollow feeds on panic. It stole the path because your fear made a door.” I flinched. “So this is my fault?” “No,” Laika said sharply. “Fear is not a crime. Feeding it is a choice.” Her words landed like a paw on my chest—not gentle, exactly, but true. George pointed toward a ridge where sunlight pooled. “Can you climb?” I wanted to say no. My body wanted to become a stone and let the world trip over me. Instead I heard Roman’s voice in memory: *Your tail says no while your face says maybe.* I lifted my chin. “I can try in chapters.” We climbed through roots that grabbed like fingers and shadows that whispered my name in Mariya’s voice, Lenny’s laugh, Roman’s whistle. Each false sound hooked my heart and yanked. Once I cried out, “Mom?” and ran toward a darker dark, but George caught my scruff with two fingers, firm and kind. “That’s not her,” he said. “Real love doesn’t call you into danger. Real love calls you toward breath.” Laika walked ahead, slicing thin seams of light through the gloom with a glance. At the ridge, we saw Aaron Drive Park spread below—pond gleaming, picnic blanket tiny as a stamp, and three figures running along the far shore. My family. Alive. Searching. The relief was so bright it hurt. Then the Hollow rose between us and them, taller now, wearing the shape of black water. **Chapter Five: The Hollow Made of Drowned Night** The Hollow did not roar; it *remembered* at us. It remembered every bath I had ever escaped, every nighttime creak that turned my crate into a cave, every dream where the door closed and no one came back. Its body rippled like the pond after midnight, and inside it I saw reflections of myself—small, soaked, alone. “Pete,” it said with my own voice, only colder. “They will tire of looking. Water keeps secrets. Dark keeps dogs.” My bladder nearly betrayed me. George stepped in front, fists clenched. “I’ve pulled sailors from black seas,” he told the thing. “You’re not deep. You’re just loud.” Laika’s eyes ignited silver. “And I have burned monsters in vacuum silence. Choose your ending.” The Hollow struck—not with claws, but with a wave of darkness that knocked us off the ridge and rolled us toward a stream feeding the pond. Water slammed over my back, cold and shouting. Instantly I was drowning though the stream barely reached my chest; fear made it an ocean. My paws scrambled on slick stones. *This is how it happens,* screamed the old terror. *The water takes your breath, the dark takes your family, and no one finds you.* Then George’s hand locked around the loose skin at my neck, not cruel, but certain. “Breathe!” he ordered. “Name five things!” I choked, “Roman’s ball—Mom’s scarf—Dad’s sandwich smell—Laika’s light—your hand!” “Good,” George said, dragging us both to a root. “Fear hates lists.” Laika leapt onto a boulder, and for an instant she was not a dog but a comet wearing fur. “Pete,” she called, “the Hollow is yours to unmake. I can vaporize enemies, but this one drinks *your* shadows. Starve it.” I stared into the creature’s faceless mouth and saw, horribly, that it was mine: my water-fear, my dark-fear, my losing-them-fear, all braided into a monster. My courage did not arrive like trumpets. It arrived like a tired paw lifting anyway. I stepped into the stream until it hugged my belly. “You are not deep,” I told it, voice shaking. “You are loud.” The Hollow staggered. George grinned through wet hair. “Again!” I barked, louder: “I have edges! I have breath! I have a pack!” Laika howled, a sound that tore a seam in time, and somewhere beyond the trees Roman’s whistle answered—sharp, unmistakable, coming closer. **Chapter Six: Swimming Toward the Whistle** The whistle came again—two short notes, one long—the code Roman used when we played hide-and-seek in the yard. It cut through the Hollow’s murmur like scissors through black ribbon. “That’s Roman,” I gasped. “That’s really him.” George cupped his hands and shouted, “Downstream! Near the culvert!” Laika’s ears flicked. “He hears, but the Hollow bends sound. We must move toward the light at the pond mouth.” The stream widened ahead into a channel where cattails gave way to open water. My old enemy waited there, glittering and vast. To reach Roman, we had to cross a tongue of the pond, maybe twenty feet, maybe forever. My legs turned to pudding. “I can’t,” I whispered. “I can be brave on land. Water is different. Water is a sky that lies.” George sat down right in the mud, making himself lower than me. “In the Navy,” he said, “we had a rule: never ask a swimmer to be fearless; teach him to be faithful to the next stroke. One stroke. Then another.” Laika touched her nose to mine; stars flickered between our eyes. “I crossed a darkness with no bottom,” she said. “I did not conquer it. I kept company with my heartbeat until Earth remembered me.” I thought of Roman’s whistle, Mariya’s magic-in-the-ordinary eyes, Lenny’s silly jokes that were really rope ladders thrown into pits. *Family is not a place,* I realized. *It is a direction.* My first paw entered the pond. Cold climbed my leg like ivy. I hated it. I kept going. The water reached my chest, then my chin. I paddled, clumsy and splashing, while George swam beside me without touching—close enough to catch, far enough to let me earn it. “Eyes on the far root,” he said. “Not the monster. The root.” Laika glided above us, shedding silver sparks that hissed when the Hollow reached for them. Halfway across, panic bit hard; I imagined jaws below, weeds like hands, the pond deciding to keep me. I yelped, “Roman!” and his whistle answered nearer, desperate, fierce. That sound put steel in my spine. I kicked. Once. Again. My paws found mud on the far side just as Roman burst through the reeds, soaked to the knees, face wild with fear turning into joy. “Pete!” he shouted. I launched into him so hard we both fell backward into the shallow water, laughing and crying while the Hollow shrieked behind us, suddenly thin. **Chapter Seven: Light Between the Reeds** Roman wrapped me in his arms, and for three seconds the whole world was his heartbeat against my ear. “I’ve got you,” he kept saying. “I’ve got you, I’ve got you.” Then George hauled himself ashore, Laika landed in a shimmer, and the Hollow poured after us, refusing to die quietly. It rose over the pond mouth, black water woven with night, and screamed in every voice we loved. Lenny and Mariya appeared on the trail then, breathless, leaves in Mom’s hair, Dad holding a picnic blanket like a banner he’d forgotten to drop. “Pete!” Mariya cried. Lenny took one look at the monster and said, “Nope,” with such Dad-finality that I almost laughed. Laika stood before us all, fur blazing. “Together
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment