Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Cherry Blossom Kingdom ***

--- *** Pete the Puggle and the Cherry Blossom Kingdom *** **Chapter 1: The Journey Begins** The morning sun spilled across Stockholm like melted honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, could barely contain my wiggles. My white fur was brushed until it shone, and Mariya had even dabbed the tiniest streak of glitter near my eyes — "For the adventure," she whispered with a wink. "Kungsträdgården!" Lenny announced, hoisting the picnic basket. "The King's Garden! Did you know, Pete, that cherry trees bloom there like pink clouds that forgot to float away?" "Everything's a cloud or a sandwich with you, Dad," Roman laughed, ruffling my ears. His friend George, home from the Navy, grinned beside him. "Ready for this, sailor?" "Ready," George said, though I noticed his eyes flick toward the fountain in the distance — and so did mine. Water. My paws tingled with nervous electricity. As we walked, I trotted close to Roman's heels. *What if the fountain splashes me? What if I get lost in the crowd?* My tail drooped. Mariya knelt beside me. "Pete, darling, magic lives on the other side of nervous. Every single time." **Chapter 2: The Pink Cloud Kingdom** Kungsträdgården exploded around us in color. Cherry blossoms rained down like nature's confetti, and the fountain sang its silvery song. Children laughed, pigeons strutted like tiny generals, and somewhere an accordion played a wobbly waltz. "It's beautiful," I breathed, my fears momentarily forgotten. "Race you to the fountain!" Roman shouted, and he and George took off. I chased them, barking joyfully — until I skidded to a stop at the fountain's edge. The water sparkled, deep and unknowable. My whole body locked. Roman jogged back. "Hey, buddy. It's okay." He sat right down on the stone rim. "You know what I do when something scares me? I look at it and say, 'You're not bigger than my family.'" "Does it work?" I whimpered. "Every time. Eventually." He grinned. "Sometimes 'eventually' takes practice." **Chapter 3: Lost in the Blossom Storm** Then the wind came — a great whooshing gust that tore thousands of petals loose at once. The world turned pink and white and spinning. I couldn't see Roman. I couldn't see anyone. "Dad? Mom? ROMAN?" I barked, but the crowd swallowed my voice. Panic rose in me like floodwater — my oldest fear, being separated, being alone in the great big world. I ran. Around the fountain, past the accordion player, under a bench. My heart hammered like a drum. *They're gone. I'm alone forever.* Then I heard Mariya's voice in my memory: *Magic lives on the other side of nervous.* I stopped. I breathed. "Think, Pete," I told myself. "What would Lenny do?" Lenny would make a plan. So I made one: find the tallest landmark — the fountain — and wait there like a lighthouse. Smart dogs don't wander; smart dogs beacon. **Chapter 4: The Dark Underpass** But fate had one more test. A swirl of petals and pigeons startled me, and I tumbled down the stone steps into the shadowy underpass beneath the square. Darkness swallowed me whole. The dark had always been my secret terror — a monster made of nothing. Now it pressed against my fur like cold water. Shapes lurked. Sounds echoed weirdly. "Hello?" I squeaked. "Hello-o-o," the dark echoed back, and I almost jumped out of my skin — until I realized it was just my own voice, softened. "The dark is just the light resting," Mariya always said. I repeated it like a spell. Step by step, I walked through the blackness, nose down, following the smell of cherry blossoms and — yes! — Roman's sneakers. **Chapter 5: The Fountain of Courage** I burst out of the underpass into blinding daylight — and there was the fountain, and there was Roman, soaked to the waist, wading in the shallow edge, scanning the crowd desperately. "PETE!" he shouted. I ran. The water stood between us — my fear, glittering and real. *You can't,* it whispered. But then I heard Roman's words: *You're not bigger than my family.* I put one paw in. Cold! Then another. The water was just... water. Cool, ticklish, alive. I paddled — actually paddled! — the last few feet into Roman's arms. "You swam!" George laughed, splashing over. "That's a Navy-worthy rescue, pup!" "I was so scared," I admitted, trembling. Roman hugged me tight. "Courage isn't not being scared, Pete. It's being scared and paddling anyway." **Chapter 6: Found** Lenny and Mariya came running, and we collapsed into a heap of hugs and happy tears on the fountain's edge, petals sticking to our damp fur and clothes. "My brave boy," Mariya whispered into my fur. "I was lost, and it was dark, and there was water, and—" I gulped. "And I did it all anyway." Lenny wiped his eyes and pretended it was fountain spray. "You know what this calls for? Ice cream. And a silly joke: why did the puggle cross the fountain?" "Dad, no," Roman groaned, grinning. "To get to his family on the other side!" Lenny finished, and somehow, it wasn't silly at all. **Chapter 7: Reflections Under the Blossoms** We picnicked under the cherry trees as the afternoon turned golden. George told Navy stories about being afraid of the ocean before he loved it. Mariya sketched the fountain in her notebook. Roman kept one hand on my back, like an anchor. "I learned something today," I said quietly. "My fears were like locked doors. But every door had a key — and the key was always someone who loves me." "And your own brave heart," Mariya added. "That's the real magic," Lenny nodded. "Not the blossoms. Not the fountain. Us, showing up for each other." Roman smiled. "Same team, always." **Chapter 8: The Journey Home** As we walked home through the pink-dusted streets, I trotted at the front of the pack for the first time ever — not because I wasn't afraid anymore, but because I knew fear could walk beside me without leading. The day's lessons settled into my heart like petals on still water: courage is fear that keeps paddling; the dark cannot hold you when you carry your family's voices inside; and being lost is only temporary when love is your lighthouse. "Same time next year?" George asked. "Every year," I said. "Forever." And beneath the falling blossoms, we walked home together — a family, a pack, an unbreakable circle of love. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 *** 2026-10-02T22:38:59.520435700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 ***"🐾 ...