"*** Pete the Puggle and the Bright Heart of Father Duffy Square ***"🐾
## Chapter One: The City That Sparkled Like a River of Stars The morning Lenny clipped my leash and said, “Adventure today, Pete,” my tail became a metronome set to joy. I am Pete the Puggle, white-furred, bright-eyed, with playful streaks around my eyes that Mariya says make me look like a tiny actor who forgot he was brave. We rode the rattling train into Manhattan, and when we climbed toward Father Duffy Square, the city opened like a jewelry box shaken by giants. Billboards bloomed with color; taxis honked like impatient geese; pretzel steam curled into the cold bright air. I pressed my nose to Roman’s shoe and whispered, “It smells like electricity, roasted nuts, and a million shoes that all have somewhere to be.” Roman laughed and crouched beside me. “That’s Times Square’s little triangle, buddy. Father Duffy Square. See the red steps? Like the city put out a giant ruby staircase just for us.” Lenny adjusted his cap, eyes warm as cocoa. “Father Duffy was a chaplain who cared for people,” he said. “Good place to practice caring for each other.” Mariya knelt, touching my velvety ear. “Magic hides in ordinary crossings, Pete. Even pigeons here look like they know secrets.” I believed her until a fountain hissed nearby and water leapt silver into sunlight. My paws locked. My chest became a drum with no music. I have loved baths the way cats love vacuum cleaners: not at all. Water, to me, was a cold mouth that swallowed footing and smell and certainty. I backed into Roman’s knees. “Not today,” I murmured. “I am a land cloud. A grounded biscuit.” Mariya did not laugh. She said, “Fear is a door, not a wall.” Lenny added, “And doors can be opened slowly, with snacks.” Roman grinned, protective and teasing. “I’ve got you, rival.” But the fountain glittered, the crowd surged, and somewhere under the noise I heard tiny claws tick across stone—an invitation, or a warning, dressed as curiosity. ## Chapter Two: Tom in the Shadows, Jerry in the Light Behind a planter shaped like a green wave sat a cat with cartoon-bright eyes and whiskers tuned like antennae. “Name’s Tom,” he said, smoothing one paw as if the city were his stage. “Friendly, mostly, unless chased by plot.” Before I could answer, a brave little mouse popped from behind a maple-leaf crack, stood tall as a thimble, and saluted. “Jerry,” he squeaked. “Brave by reputation, snack-motivated by necessity.” I blinked. “You two are supposed to chase.” Tom sighed theatrically. “Union break. Today we’re tour guides.” Roman burst out laughing; Mariya clapped softly; Lenny said, “Best casting in Manhattan.” Tom leaned toward me, lowering his voice. “Word around the pigeons is a small white dog fears the fountain.” Heat rose under my fur. “I do not fear it,” I lied. “I respect its teeth.” Jerry nodded solemnly. “Respect is fear wearing a necktie.” Roman heard and gently bumped my shoulder. “Nobody’s making you swim, Pete.” But the red steps shone, the fountain sang, and Mariya pointed toward the TKTS booth where lights rippled across pavement like spilled rainbows. “Let’s explore,” she said. We threaded through tourists, cameras, dancers, a saxophone crying gold into the afternoon. I kept Roman’s shoelace in sight as if it were a lighthouse rope. Then the crowd folded around us like a closing book. A street performer flipped; a tour bus exhaled; a child dropped a balloon that popped louder than thunder in a hallway. I spun. Lenny’s cap vanished behind shoulders. Mariya’s scarf became a red bird flying the wrong way. “Roman!” I barked, but the city swallowed my voice and handed back echoes. Tom’s paw touched mine. “Breathe, pup.” Jerry climbed a newspaper box. “I see a pretzel cart, three selfie sticks, and no family.” My belly dropped through the pavement. Separated was my oldest nightmare: the pack scattered, the den dark, my bark too small for the world. ## Chapter Three: Lost Beneath the Ruby Steps Panic has paws; it ran me in circles. Every leg was a tree trunk in a forest that moved. I darted under the red steps where shadows pooled like spilled ink and the air smelled of rain, coins, and old gum. Dark pressed its forehead to mine. I have feared the dark since puppyhood, when night made ordinary chairs into crouching beasts. Under the steps, light became thin ribbons, and each ribbon trembled. “Pete,” Tom whispered, slipping beside me, “dark is only light waiting for courage to switch it on.” Jerry lit a tiny discarded phone screen he found near a grate. “Borrowed bravery,” he said, holding it high though it shook in his paws. I wanted Roman with an ache sharper than kibble-less breakfast. I wanted Lenny’s silly joke, Mariya’s curious hand, the exact sound my family makes when love clears its throat. Instead I heard water gurgling through pipes beneath the city, a cold river hiding under stone. “They left,” whimpered the scared pup inside me. “No,” said another voice, newer, smaller, but standing. “They are looking. Love looks.” I remembered Mariya saying magic hides in ordinary crossings. Maybe crossings also hide us until we learn to cross back. Tom told a story while we searched: how he once feared cucumbers because one leapt from a salad like a green ghost. Jerry admitted he feared mousetraps, violins, and cats before noon. We laughed, and laughter made the dark step backward one polite inch. Then Jerry squeaked, “Footsteps! Big brother frequency!” Roman’s voice ricocheted under the steps: “Pete! Tom! Jerry!” Hope struck me like sunrise through a keyhole. I barked so hard the shadows flinched. But between us and Roman ran a shallow channel of fountain overflow, black and shining, water laughing in a narrow throat. ## Chapter Four: The Narrow Water The channel was barely wider than my body, yet to me it was the Atlantic wearing a city disguise. It slid over concrete, cold as a secret, carrying ticket stubs and one brave leaf. On the far side stood Roman, arms open, face bright with relief and worry braided together. “Stay there!” he called, though staying felt like sinking. Lenny and Mariya appeared behind him, breathless, eyes finding me like lamps finding a lost room. Mariya cried, “Pete, sweetheart!” Lenny said, steady as a porch light, “We’re here. One brave step at a time.” My legs disagreed. Water erased smells; water made the ground unsure; water remembered every bath I had ever survived and exaggerated the funeral. Tom sat beside me, unusually gentle. “I pretend puddles are mirrors,” he said. “Then I’m not crossing water; I’m visiting handsome.” Jerry marched to the edge. “I’m smaller than your fear and I’m not melting.” He dipped one paw, squeaked dramatically—“Cold! Betrayal! Soup-adjacent!”—and hopped across to a dry ledge. Roman stepped into the shallow stream without hesitation, shoes darkening, and held out his hand. “Look at me, not the water.” I looked. Roman’s eyes were brown constellations I had followed since puppyhood: breakfast, ball, bedtime, forgiveness after chewed sneakers. My heart still sprinted, but now it ran toward instead of away. I placed one paw in. Cold bit; I yelped; Lenny called, “Good bite means you’re alive!” Mariya said, “Feel the ground under the cold.” Second paw. Third. The water rose around my white fur like a rumor. Fourth paw, and Roman’s fingers closed around my chest—not lifting, just promising. I leapt, collided with him, and we both laughed wetly while Tom applauded with his tail and Jerry shouted, “Land dog! Land dog!” ## Chapter Five: The Dark Below the Marquee Joy lasted twelve seconds. A maintenance gate clanged; a gust from the subway whooshed; Jerry chased a rolling pretzel crumb into an open service hatch before Tom could yell, “Crumb-based decisions!” The little mouse vanished into blackness with a heroic squeak that dopplered downward. Tom stared at the hole, ears flat. “Jerry falls for snacks professionally, but this is rude even for him.” Roman peered in. “Maintenance shaft. Too narrow for me.” My fur prickled. The dark below was not ordinary dark; it had depth, breath, and the patience of a basement. Every old fear lined up like judges: water dripping somewhere unseen, separation fresh as a bandage pulled too soon, darkness thick enough to chew. I shook so hard my tags played frightened music. Mariya knelt. “Pete, you don’t have to be unafraid to be brave.” Lenny nodded. “Courage is fear that remembered its leash.” Roman put my leash in my mouth gently. “Choose.” Tom whispered, “He’s my rival, my friend, my Jerry.” That settled something in me. Friends make small doors in large nightmares. I entered the hatch slowly, leash trailing like a lifeline held by Roman above. The dark wrapped around my face; each step sounded like a coin dropped in a well. I talked to keep from vanishing inside myself. “Jerry,” I called, “if you’re dead, haunt the pretzel cart, not me.” A tiny voice answered, “Insult accepted as rescue flare.” I followed it by whisker and wish, past pipes sweating cold, past a red emergency bulb that buzzed like a trapped bee. There sat Jerry on a valve, crumb in paw, trying to look casual while trembling. “I had it handled,” he said. “Obviously,” I replied, and loved him so much the dark became only a room with the lights off. ## Chapter Six: The Flood That Tested Us Then the pipes knocked. Once, twice, then a cough of water burst from a loosened cap and swept across the floor. Not deep—ankle-deep to a human, belly-deep to a puggle, oceanic to a mouse. Jerry shot onto my head. “I regret the crumb!” Tom’s voice echoed from above: “Incoming cat, emotionally unprepared!” He squeezed partly through, stuck, and Roman hauled him back with a laugh that kept panic from sharpening its knives. Water rose around my legs, cold fingers pulling. My old terror roared: swim or be swallowed. “Climb,” I told Jerry, feeling him anchor in my fur. “Tom, guide from the grate. Roman, keep talking.” Roman’s voice came down like rope. “Left paw, Pete. There’s a ledge. I see the bulb reflection.” Lenny called, “Slow is fast when hearts are involved!” Mariya, calm and fierce, said, “Name five things you feel.” I gasped, “Cold water, Jerry’s claws, leash tug, pipe edge, courage pretending to be nausea.” She answered, “Good. Now name four sounds.” Drip, Roman breath, Tom yowl, my own bark growing braver. We moved by inches. The current shoved; I shoved back, not stronger than water but more stubborn. At the final rise, the stream tried to take my back paws, and memory flashed—bath, fountain, channel, every cold mouth laughing. Instead of freezing, I did the bravest small thing: I kept walking while afraid. Roman reached down, Lenny beside him now, both hands a bridge. Mariya lifted Jerry gently from my head; Tom grabbed my scruff with careful teeth; Roman pulled; Lenny cheered; and I burst into light wetter than a apology in rain. For a moment no one spoke. Then Jerry raised the pretzel crumb like a trophy and announced, “Worth it,” and even the pipes seemed to laugh. ## Chapter Seven: Found Is a Warm Word Roman wrapped me in Mariya’s spare scarf, which smelled like lavender, coffee, and home. His hands trembled now that danger had finished auditioning. “Don’t do that again,” he whispered into my ear, but his tail-wag heart betrayed him because mine answered thump-for-thump. Lenny hugged us all at once, including Tom, who pretended to hate it and leaned in anyway. Mariya pressed her cheek to my damp head. “You were lost and still you helped someone be found.” Jerry, perched on Lenny’s cap, bowed. “I was never lost. I was geographically dramatic.” We climbed back to Father Duffy Square as evening switched on its million bulbs. The red steps glowed; the statue stood thoughtful above the crowd; screens painted our faces blue, pink, gold. Tourists had no idea a puggle had crossed three fears before dinner. We sat near the fountain—the same silver mouth that had scared me—and I did not love it, but I no longer gave it my whole name. Roman dipped his hand and flicked a drop at me. I flinched, then flicked one back with my paw. Tiny victory tastes like chicken if you imagine hard enough. Tom groomed one whisker and said, “For the record, I came back because Jerry owes me a sandwich.” Jerry squeaked, “For the record, I came up because Pete’s bark is louder than his fear.” Lenny smiled. “Family is the art of hearing barks through noise.” Mariya added, “And friendship is borrowing courage until yours wakes.” Roman nudged me. “You were brave before you felt brave.” I looked at my streaked reflection in a dark window: not a puppy erased by fear, but a small dog outlined by light. The city roared; inside me, something quiet stood guard. ## Chapter Eight: Lessons on the Red Steps Before leaving, we returned to the ruby steps where the city pulsed like a heart that had decided to keep going. Lenny bought pretzels; Jerry received a crumb formally knighted; Tom accepted a bite with aristocratic suspicion. Mariya asked, “What did today teach us?” Roman answered first, softer than usual. “That being protective doesn’t mean keeping Pete from hard things. It means standing close while he does them.” I swallowed a knot of love. “I learned fear tells big stories with small facts. Water was cold, not endless. Dark was empty, not evil. Lost was temporary because you were searching.” Tom stretched. “I learned mice are terrible at self-preservation and excellent at friendship.” Jerry replied, “I learned cats can be ladders.” Lenny laughed his warm Dad laugh. “And I learned courage snacks should be distributed before emergencies.” Mariya’s eyes shone. “Magic was ordinary all day: a leash, a hand, a phone flashlight, a crumb, a voice saying left paw.” The fountain glittered behind us, no longer a monster, only water doing its bright work. I stepped nearer, touched one toe to the mist, and let the cold kiss me without biting. As we walked toward the train, the square folded its lights around us like a blanket too large to carry and exactly large enough to share. I thought of Father Duffy caring for frightened people in loud places, and how care is often just refusing to let someone cross alone. My paws were tired, my fur smelled faintly of fountain and victory, and my family’s footsteps made a rhythm I could follow blind. “Tomorrow,” Roman whispered, “we conquer the bathtub.” I groaned; everyone laughed; Tom and Jerry argued over who had saved whom until their voices became music. Love, I decided, is not the absence of fear. It is the leash, the lamp, the laugh, the hand in the dark saying: this way home. *** The End ***
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment