Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Tower Above the Clouds *** 2026-09-30T03:33:07.638903500

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Tower Above the Clouds ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Invitation to Adventure** The morning sun spilled through the kitchen window like melted honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, sat on my favorite cushion, my white velvety fur glowing, the playful streaks of makeup around my eyes making me look like a tiny explorer ready for anything. My tail thumped the floor as Lenny—Dad—leaned over the table with a folded map and a grin as wide as the sky. "Family," Lenny announced, tapping the map dramatically, "today we conquer Olympic Tower! The tallest, shiniest tower in the whole city!" "Did you pack snacks?" I barked, because snacks are the foundation of every great quest. Mariya—Mom—laughed, her eyes twinkling. "Pete, you think with your stomach, but you love with your heart. Both are packed." She knelt and scratched behind my ears. "There's an observation deck at the very top, and a glass walkway, and even a fountain garden at the base." My ears drooped slightly. "A... fountain? With *water*?" Roman, my older brother and best friend, flopped onto the couch beside me. "Oh come on, Pete. It's just a fountain. Water can't hurt you." "You say that," I muttered, "but water is sneaky. It splashes. It soaks. It gets in your nose." Lenny chuckled and ruffled Roman's hair. "Everyone's afraid of something, Pete. The trick isn't to never be afraid—it's to be afraid and go anyway." I pondered his words as we loaded into the car. The city rolled past the windows, buildings rising like silver mountains. My heart fluttered in my chest like a caged bird. Olympic Tower. Water. Heights. Darkness, maybe. I pressed my nose to the glass and whispered to myself, "Be afraid and go anyway." It sounded heroic when Dad said it. It sounded terrifying when I said it. **Chapter Two: The Tower Touches the Sky** Olympic Tower rose before us like a giant's spear pointed at the heavens, its glass sides catching the clouds. I craned my neck so far back I nearly tumbled off the curb. "Whoa," Roman breathed. "You can see the whole world from up there, I bet." "Or the whole world can see *you*," I squeaked. "What if it sways? Towers sway, you know. I read it... somewhere." Mariya took my paw gently. "Look at the base, Pete. See how wide it is? Like a tree. Trees sway in the wind and never break, because their roots run deep." She smiled. "Families are like that too." Inside, the lobby glittered like the inside of a diamond. Fountains danced along the walls—real, splashing, *wet* fountains—and I skittered behind Lenny's legs. "Nope. Nope nope nope." "Easy, buddy," Lenny said, crouching down. "The water stays in its lane, and you stay in yours. Deal?" "Deal," I whispered, though my paws trembled like leaves. As we waited for the elevator, I heard a strange sound—a scuffle, a yowl, a tiny squeak—from behind a planter. I crept closer, nose twitching. There, locked in a standoff over a dropped pretzel, sat a gray-blue cat and a small brown mouse. "You took my pretzel!" the cat huffed. "Finder's keepers, Tom!" the mouse squeaked, holding the pretzel like a sword. I blinked. "You're... Tom and Jerry? The *actual* Tom and Jerry?" Tom smoothed his fur, instantly dignified. "At your service. And this rascal is Jerry." "Charmed," Jerry said with a bow. "Say, you're a fancy-looking pup. First time at the Tower?" **Chapter Three: New Friends and High Places** "First time," I admitted. "And between us? I'm a little scared. Of the water. And the heights. And possibly the elevator." Jerry hopped onto my paw, surprisingly light. "Scared? Pfft. I'm a mouse in a world of cats and vacuum cleaners. Fear is my cardio." Tom snorted. "What he means is, courage isn't the absence of fear. It's fear wearing a brave hat." Roman leaned down, grinning. "Pete made friends already. Classic Pete." The elevator doors chimed open, and we all piled in—family, cat, mouse, and one nervous puggle. The elevator shot upward, and my stomach stayed somewhere around the third floor. "Ohhhh," I groaned. "Breathe, little bro," Roman said, pressing his shoulder against me. "Count with me. One... two... three..." We counted together, and somehow, with Roman's voice steady beside me, the rising felt less like falling upward and more like flying. When the doors opened at the observation deck, the world unfolded below us—rivers like ribbons, cars like beetles, clouds close enough to taste. "It's beautiful," Mariya whispered, her eyes shining. "See, Pete? Magic in the ordinary." I pressed my paws against the glass. The fear was still there, a small stone in my chest, but wonder was bigger. "I can see our whole life from up here," I said softly. "It looks... small and huge at the same time." "That's perspective," Lenny said, squeezing my shoulder. "Things look different when you rise above them. Fears too." **Chapter Four: Lost in the Dark** Disaster, as it often does, arrived wearing an innocent disguise: a butterfly. A spectacular, shimmering blue butterfly fluttered past the observation deck railing, and Jerry shouted, "A Blue Morpho! Rare! Get it!" "Jerry, wait—" Tom yowled, and then we were all chasing, paws skittering, down a service corridor, through a door marked STAFF ONLY that swung shut behind us with a sound like a closing book. Click. Darkness swallowed us whole. Not friendly bedtime darkness—*deep* darkness, thick as ink, the kind that presses against your eyeballs. My worst fear, my oldest fear, wrapped around me like a cold blanket. "Roman?!" I cried. "Dad?! MOM?!" "They're not here, Pete," Tom's voice came, steady but tight. "It's just us three. We got separated." My breath came in panicked gasps. The dark had always been my monster—the place where my family disappeared in nightmares, where I was small and alone forever. My legs shook. "I can't... I can't do dark. I can't do alone." Jerry's tiny paw found mine in the blackness. "Hey. Hey. You're not alone. You've got a cat and a mouse, which is basically a whole cartoon of protection." A laugh hiccupped out of me despite everything. Tom's voice softened. "Pete, listen. The dark is just the light taking a nap. It doesn't change what's real. Your family is real. We're real. And somewhere in this dark is a door, and doors open." "How do you know?" I whispered. "Because I've been chased into a thousand dark corners," Tom said, "and I've walked out of every single one. Now—hold my tail. Jerry, hold Pete's paw. We move together." **Chapter Five: Through the Belly of the Tower** Step by trembling step, we moved through the dark service halls. Pipes hummed overhead like sleeping giants. Somewhere water dripped—*plink... plink...*—and each drop made me flinch. "Talk to me," I begged. "Please. Silence makes the dark bigger." So Tom told stories—of outsmarting bulldogs, of cheese heists with Jerry, of the time they accidentally rode a parade float through downtown. Jerry added sound effects. And somewhere between the laughter and the dripping, something shifted inside me. The dark was still dark, but I was no longer shrinking inside it. I was walking through it. "I always thought being brave meant not being scared," I said quietly. "But I think... I think brave is just scared with friends." "Now *that's* a cartoon quote," Jerry declared. Then we saw it—a thin line of light beneath a door. We burst through into a maintenance room, and there, gleaming in the corner, was the emergency exit staircase. But between us and it lay an obstacle that made my blood freeze: a flooded section of floor where a pipe had leaked, a whole shallow lake of water, dark and rippling. "No," I breathed, backing away. "No, no, no. I can't. Water. I *can't.*" Tom looked at the water, then at me. "Pete. It's two inches deep." "It's an *ocean* to me!" Jerry climbed onto my head and pointed like a tiny general. "Pete. Remember the dark? You walked through the dark. The water is just the dark you can *see*. Same monster, different costume." **Chapter Six: The Water and the Leap** I stood at the edge of that shallow flood, and my whole history of fear played through my mind—every bath I'd dodged, every puddle I'd refused, every time I'd hidden behind Lenny's legs. The water rippled, and in it I saw my own reflection: a small white puggle with streaked eyes, trembling. But then I heard Dad's voice in my memory: *Be afraid and go anyway.* And Mariya's: *Families are like trees—roots run deep.* And Roman's counting: *One... two... three...* "I'm afraid," I said out loud, loudly, to the water, to the dark, to every fear I'd ever had. "I'm afraid, and I'm going anyway." I stepped in. The water was cold. It splashed my paws. It was... fine. It was just water. I took another step, and another, and suddenly I was *trotting*, splashing, laughing so hard I nearly cried. "I'm doing it! Tom! Jerry! I'm IN the water!" "Attaboy!" Jerry cheered from Tom's head as they paddled beside me, Tom grumbling about wet fur the whole way. We climbed the emergency stairs together, my paws leaving wet prints like medals of honor. At the top, I pushed open a door—and there was the observation deck, flooded with golden afternoon light, and there, sprinting toward me with tears in his eyes, was Roman. "PETE!" he shouted. "ROMAN!" I howled, and we collided in a tangle of fur and arms and joy. **Chapter Seven: Found and Forever** Lenny and Mariya arrived seconds later, wrapping us all in a hug so tight it could've held the whole tower together. Mariya's eyes were wet. "We searched everywhere. We were so worried." "I'm sorry," I said, my voice muffled against her. "We chased a butterfly. But Mom—Dad—I walked through the dark. And I walked *through water*. Actual water. With my actual paws." Roman pulled back and stared at me. "You? Water? The puddle-dodger?" "The puddle-dodger is retired," I said proudly. "Please address me as Pete the Brave, Splash-Walker, Dark-Defier." Tom and Jerry emerged from the stairwell, soaked and smug. "He did great," Tom said. "Kid's got lion heart in a puggle body." "And excellent taste in friends," Jerry added, bowing to the family. Lenny laughed that big warm laugh that sounds like home. "Then it's settled. Tom, Jerry—you're family now. Family dinner, every week. Non-negotiable." As the sun melted into the horizon, painting the tower gold and rose, we stood together at the glass, looking out at the vast glittering world. Roman slung an arm around me. "You know what today taught me? That my little brother is the bravest dog in the city." I leaned into him, my heart full as the sky. "It taught me that fear isn't a wall," I said softly. "It's a door. And on the other side of it is everything worth having—friends, adventures, and the people who never stop looking for you." Mariya kissed the top of my head. "Courage, transformation, family, friendship," she murmured. "Not bad for one Tuesday." And so we rode the elevator down together—no fear, only laughter—and the Tower stood behind us, no longer a giant to fear, but a monument to the day a small puggle became very, very big on the inside. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pete the Puggle's Courageous Adventure at Lister Park 2026-10-01T01:31:20.164067

"Pete the Puggle's Courageous Adventure at Lister Park"🐾 ...