Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, September 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Bryant Park Moon-Fountain *** 2026-09-26T15:24:52.437920200

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Bryant Park Moon-Fountain ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Green Island in the City The morning smelled of toasted bagels, taxi dust, and Mariya’s lavender hand cream as our family stepped off the subway and into Bryant Park, that green pocket tucked between tall buildings like a secret kept by giants. I am Pete the Puggle, white as a fresh page, eyes bright with the silly streaks of makeup Mariya calls my “adventure stars,” and though my tail wagged bravely, my paws felt the city tremble through the pavement. Pigeons argued like tiny gray uncles. The carousel beyond the fence glittered. Somewhere water laughed, and I did not like that laugh. “Look, Pete,” Roman said, crouching beside me, his sneakers loud on the gravel. “The lawn is finally open. Race you to the fountain?” At the word fountain my ears folded. I pictured black water climbing my nose, cold fingers in my ears, the terrible hollow gulp of being swallowed where no family voice could reach. Lenny noticed, because Dad always notices the weather inside me. “No racing hearts before breakfast,” he said gently, offering a piece of cinnamon pretzel. “Courage is a slow cooker, not a microwave.” Mariya knelt and touched my cheek. “Even ordinary parks keep enchanted doors,” she whispered. “We only have to knock kindly.” Her curiosity made the flower beds gleam; bees moved over them like punctuation marks looking for the right sentence. I wanted to believe her. I wanted to be the hero of my own story instead of a puddle-shaped dog hiding behind a bench. Then the air bent, just a little, like heat over summer asphalt, and out stepped Baron Munchausen in a coat too purple for any century, boots polished by impossible journeys. Beside him floated—no, trotted—Laika, silver-furred and star-eyed, the mysterious dog who had vanished into space in 1957 and returned when brave hearts needed her most. “Ah!” cried the Baron, bowing so low his hat nearly swept a pretzel crumb into orbit. “A family of excellent pulse! Bryant Park is restless today. Its fountain has swallowed a moonbeam, and something in the dark is learning our names.” ## Chapter Two: Baron, Laika, and the Whispering Chairs I hid behind Roman’s leg, but curiosity kept peeking out. Laika’s gaze touched mine, cool as midnight and warm as soup. “Little Pete,” she said in a voice like radio signals from kind stars, “I once circled Earth alone. Fear rode with me, but so did wonder. They make poor roommates unless you give wonder the window seat.” Before I could answer, Baron Munchausen snapped his fingers, and every park chair turned its green back toward us as if eavesdropping. “Nonsense furniture!” the Baron declared. “Always gossiping.” He told us he had ridden cannonballs, dined on the moon’s rind, and defeated the Sultan of Sneeze with a peppered handkerchief; when he appeared, fun arrived holding hands with strange. Lenny chuckled, “I once defeated a traffic jam with patience and a podcast.” Mariya’s eyes shone. Roman tried to look unimpressed and failed beautifully. A shadow slid beneath the fountain. Not cloud-shadow—this one had edges too sharp for daylight. The water rose in a glassy hump and whispered, “Pete… come drink the deep.” My fear of water roared up, huge as a whale wearing subway brakes. My body remembered every bath-time shiver, every puddle that had ever grabbed my paws. I backed into Lenny’s shin. “I can’t,” I squeaked. “Water takes and doesn’t give back.” Roman sat right down on the gravel, indifferent to dirt, and put his forehead near mine. “Then we don’t start with water,” he said. “We start with breath. In like smelling Mom’s soup, out like blowing birthday candles for somebody else.” Laika circled us, leaving faint constellations in the dust. Baron grew solemn for one rare second. “A foe that learns your name is only borrowing courage you have not spent yet,” he said. The fountain gurgled again, hungrier, and somewhere under the park, darkness cleared its throat. ## Chapter Three: The Fountain’s Cold Mouth By noon the park had filled with readers, chess players, office workers eating salads as if lettuce could answer email. We spread a blanket near the fountain, and Mariya unpacked peaches whose sweetness made the sunlight taste possible. Lenny told a joke about a pigeon with a briefcase; even Roman groaned-laughed. But I watched the water. It climbed the stone lip in silver ropes, beautiful and terrible, each sparkle a tiny eye. “Water is also bridges,” Mariya said softly. “Rain becomes tea. Rivers carry letters made of light.” I wanted her words to be true enough to stand on. Laika pressed against my side. “When I crossed the black above Earth,” she murmured, “I learned distance is not abandonment. Sometimes it is love holding the door from very far away.” Her fur smelled faintly of ozone and old stars. Baron Munchausen stood suddenly. “The moonbeam is below, chained by the Drip-King, a soggy tyrant who feeds on ‘what-ifs.’ To free it, someone small and brave must touch the fountain’s heart.” All eyes turned to me. My heart became a drum in a marching band of mice. “I’m small,” I said, “but the brave part is still loading.” Roman offered his hand. “Then we load it together.” We approached inch by inch. The fountain breathed mist against my nose. I imagined falling: cold over my eyes, sound swallowed, family faces smeared like wet paint. My legs shook so hard my tags chimed. Roman counted breaths with me—one soup-smell in, one candle-wish out—until my paw touched the first ripple. It stung like icy bees. I yelped, but did not run. Laika sang a note only dogs and brave people hear; the water opened a staircase of glass. ## Chapter Four: Under the Lawn, Where Dark Keeps Its Teeth The staircase folded beneath us, and suddenly Roman, Baron, Laika, and I were sliding down a throat of blue light while Lenny and Mariya’s voices faded above like birds through a window. “Pete!” Mom called. “Hold the thread of our song!” Then dark closed over us, thick as ink in a locked drawer. My second fear—the dark—came alive with whiskers. It pressed my eyeballs. It made every unseen step into a possible mouth. “I can’t see my family,” I gasped, and the third fear, separation, sank hooks into my ribs. Roman’s hand found my scruff at once. “I’m here,” he said, fierce as a lighthouse with sneakers. “If the dark wants a fight, it has to schedule through me.” Baron struck a match that burned gold and showed tunnels made of old pipes, lost buttons, and umbrellas with broken ribs. “Ah,” he said cheerfully, “the basement of the city. Excellent acoustics for doom.” The Drip-King rose from a cistern: a tall puddle wearing a crown of bottle caps, eyes like clogged drains. “Little dog fears water,” it gurgled. “Little dog fears night. Little dog fears the empty space where footsteps should answer. Give me your name, and I will make your family forget the sound.” My insides turned to cold oatmeal. For one terrible moment I wanted to hand over everything just to stop shaking. Instead I remembered Roman’s breathing, Mariya’s magic-in-ordinary, Lenny’s slow-cooker courage, Laika’s window seat for wonder. “My name is Pete,” I said, louder than my knees allowed. “And my family’s love is not a sound you can steal; it is the room sound lives in.” Laika stepped forward, hackles streaming starlight. “I have crossed vacuum,” she told the Drip-King. “You are merely spilled.” Baron drew a sword that looked suspiciously like a fountain pen. “Shall we edit his ending?” ## Chapter Five: Teeth of Mist, Hearts of Fire The Drip-King swelled into a wave with too many elbows. It slapped the tunnel walls, knocking Baron’s hat into orbit and Roman into a puddle that tried to become his reflection. “Pete, run!” Roman shouted, but running meant leaving him, and leaving was the oldest wolf in my forest. So I planted all four paws, though the floor trembled like a drum under thunder. Laika became a comet. She pierced the fabric of time with a silver seam, showing me flashes: myself as a puppy hiding from bathwater; Roman teaching me stairs one brave paw at a time; Lenny waiting outside the vet with both thumbs up; Mariya naming constellations from a fire escape. Then she showed a future where I stood wet and laughing, not because fear vanished, but because love had taught it manners. “Choose,” Laika said across seconds. Baron dueled the Drip-King with nonsense and lightning. “I once bottled a hurricane in a teacup!” he cried, uncorking wind that spun the monster into froth. Roman seized a broken umbrella like a lance. “For my little brother!” he yelled, and rivalry, playfulness, protection—all of it—flashed in his grin. The Drip-King hurled a coil of black water at me. This was it: my nightmare shaped exactly like itself. I leaped—not over fear, through it. Water closed over my back, cold and loud, but Roman’s breath-count lived in my ears: soup in, candle out. I bit the moonbeam’s chain where it glowed weakest. Light burst like a dandelion in a cathedral. The Drip-King shrieked into steam, defeated not by hatred but by a dog who trembled and acted anyway. Laika vaporized the last fangs with a blink. Baron caught his hat. “Splendidly soggy!” he cheered. ## Chapter Six: Lost in the Bright Between Victory popped like soap bubbles, and then the tunnel folded wrong. Baron sneezed at the exact wrong moment—his powers are dramatic but allergic—and Roman, Laika, and I tumbled through a door painted on nothing. We landed under Bryant Park again, or perhaps beside it, in a bright maze of maintenance halls where every sign pointed to “Elsewhere.” Above us, faint as a memory, I heard Lenny call, “Pete! Roman!” and Mariya answer with a whistle taught to lost children and braver dogs. Separation returned wearing daylight’s clothes. We were technically near, yet every corridor multiplied distance. Roman tried doors; each opened onto reflections of us looking scared in different costumes. “This is worse than the dark,” I admitted. “In the dark I imagined monsters. Here I imagine you giving up.” Roman’s jaw tightened. “Never. But I’m scared too, Pete. Protecting you doesn’t mean I’m made of bricks. It means I keep walking while my hands shake.” That confession undid me gently. My big brother, rival in stick-fetching, king of the couch, was afraid—and still mine. Laika nosed a grate where warm air carried pretzel salt and lawn green. “Time is thin here,” she said. “I can tear it, but Pete must choose the thread that smells like home.” Threads hung invisible: fear smelled metallic, loneliness smelled like empty bowls, home smelled like Mariya’s lavender, Lenny’s coffee, Roman’s grass-stained socks. I closed my eyes. Internal me, the small storm, asked: What if courage is just love with muddy paws? I chose the lavender-coffee-sock thread. Laika sliced time; Roman held me as we squeezed through a blinding seam. We burst onto the lawn in a shower of grass clippings, startling three pigeons and one poet. Above us the fountain sparkled innocent, freed moonbeam drifting upward like applause. ## Chapter Seven: Roman Finds Us, and the Park Breathes Again Roman did not wait for dignity. He sprinted across the lawn shouting our names until Lenny and Mariya turned from the carousel railing where they had been questioning every guard, gardener, and suspiciously calm squirrel. Mariya ran with her arms already open; Lenny’s face broke like sunrise through blinds. They collided with us in a tangle of elbows, fur, tears, laughter, and one offended pigeon. “Found,” Roman kept saying. “Found, found, found.” I expected scolding, some thunder about wandering off. Instead Lenny held my face and said, “You came back carrying more than you left with.” Mariya kissed the makeup streaks by my eyes. “Your stars got smudged,” she whispered, “and became real.” Baron arrived five minutes late, claiming he had been detained by a chess hustler from the eighteenth century; his coat was dry, which proved he was lying or magic. We told everything in overlapping voices: the Drip-King’s bottle-cap crown, Laika’s comet heart, Roman’s umbrella lance, my bite on the moonbeam chain. Roman gave me credit until my ears burned. “He jumped through the wave,” he said. “I just held the map.” I said, “You were the map.” Lenny wiped his eyes and blamed allergies, though the pollen of emotion was obvious. Around us Bryant Park resumed its ordinary enchantment: children rolled down the lawn, a violinist tuned courage into notes, water rose and fell without malice. Laika stood apart, translucent at the edges, already called by some other fearful heart. “Will you go?” I asked. “Only as far as love lets you notice absence,” she answered. “When you need me, look up and refuse to be only small.” Baron bowed. “Until the next improbable Tuesday,” he promised, folding into a purple ripple. ## Chapter Eight: Soup, Candles, and the Moon in a Fountain That evening we returned to the fountain because Mariya said endings should revisit the place where fear first spoke. The water no longer whispered my name; it sang with the moonbeam restored, each drop a tiny lantern. Roman dipped his hand in, then flicked drops at me. I flinched—old habits have long tails—but then I stepped closer and let one cool bead rest on my nose. It did not swallow me. It simply was, and so was I. “What did you learn?” Lenny asked, not as a quiz but as a father offering a basket for treasures. I thought while the city lights came on like patient stars. “Water can be scary and still carry light,” I said. “Dark can hide teeth and also hide the path to them. Being lost is awful, but love makes a thread thinner than sight and stronger than pipes.” Roman nudged me. “And little brothers can be brave enough to annoy you forever.” Mariya smiled at the buildings holding the park in their arms. “Magic is ordinary after brave people notice it,” she said. Baron’s voice drifted from nowhere, smelling of purple: “And every family is a tall tale told truthfully!” We laughed, and Laika’s constellation blinked once above the library roof. We walked home through blue dusk, tired in the good way, leashes loose, hands full. My fears had not died; they had become doors I knew how to open. Courage is not the absence of trembling but trembling forward; family is the circle that finds you; friendship is starlight that returns. And when the fountain moon followed us in puddles all the way to the subway, I wagged because I was Pete, small and bright, no longer only afraid. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Courage of a Puggle: Tides, Shadows, and the Light of Home *** 2026-09-28T17:03:39.444810600

"*** The Courage of a Puggle: Tides, Shadows, and the Light of Home ***"🐾 ...