Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, September 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Columbus Park Adventure *** 2026-09-26T09:46:39.951020700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Columbus Park Adventure ***"🐾

## Chapter 1: The Morning of the Trip The sun poured through my fur like warm honey as I bounced down the stairs, my claws clicking on the wooden steps. "Roman! Roman! Wake up! We're going to Columbus Park today!" I barked, leaping onto his bed and licking his face. Roman groaned, then laughed. "Pete, you're worse than my alarm clock!" He scratched behind my ears, right in my favorite spot. "But okay, okay. Today's the day." Downstairs, Mariya was packing a picnic basket, humming a tune that sounded like birdsong. "Pete, my little adventurer," she said, kneeling down to look into my eyes. "Did you know Columbus Park has a pond with real lily pads? And a fountain that sparkles like diamonds?" My tail wagged so hard my whole body wiggled. "A pond?" I yipped. Then my tail froze. Water. My belly did a little flip, like a pancake landing wrong. I didn't tell anyone, but water scared me. Big water. Splashing water. Water that could swallow a small puggle like a leaf in a storm. Lenny appeared in the doorway, jingling the car keys. "All aboard the adventure express!" he boomed. "And remember, family rule number one: we stick together, we laugh together, and we never say no to ice cream." "That's three rules, Dad," Roman said, grinning. "Exactly. Rules are better in threes, like sandwiches." Lenny winked at me, and I forgot my worry for a moment, climbing into the car between Roman and the picnic basket. As we drove, the city rolled past my window like a picture book flipping its pages, and I pressed my nose to the glass, dreaming of grass, fountains, and maybe—just maybe—a new friend or two. ## Chapter 2: Arrival at the Park Columbus Park burst around us like a green explosion. Trees stretched their arms toward the sky, flowers nodded their colorful heads, and the fountain in the center shot silver ribbons of water into the air. I leaped from the car, my paws sinking into soft grass that tickled my belly. "Smell that, Pete?" Mariya said, breathing deeply. "That's summer. Grass, sunshine, and a little bit of popcorn from the vendor cart." I sniffed. She was right. The air tasted like adventure. But then my eyes found it—the pond. It shimmered beyond the fountain, wide and blue, with ducks gliding across it like feathered boats. My paws felt suddenly heavy, as if the grass had turned to glue. "Come on, slowpoke!" Roman called, already running toward the playground. I trotted after him, keeping the pond safely to my left. Lenny spread a blanket under a big oak tree. "Base camp is established," he announced. "Captain Pete, what's our first mission?" "Sniffing!" I declared. "Every corner! Every bush!" As I explored, I heard voices behind a hedge—an argument, actually. I peeked through the leaves and gasped. A gray cat with clever eyes was chasing a small brown mouse around a park bench. "Give it back, Jerry! That's my cheese sandwich!" the cat yowled. "Finders keepers, Tom!" the mouse squeaked, darting between the bench legs with a crumb bigger than his head. I couldn't help myself. "Excuse me," I said, stepping forward. "Is everything okay here?" Both animals froze. Tom's whiskers twitched. "A dog," he said flatly. "Great. Just what this chase needed." "I'm Pete," I said, sitting politely. "And I've never seen a talking cat and mouse before." "And I've never seen a puggle with such shiny eyes," Jerry said, bowing dramatically. "Welcome to Columbus Park, friend. You're in for quite a day." ## Chapter 3: New Friends and Old Fears Tom, it turned out, was not nearly as grumpy as he pretended. Once Jerry shared the cheese sandwich (and Tom pretended he didn't care), the three of us sat in the dappled shade while I told them about my family. "Roman's my best friend," I said proudly. "He throws the ball far, he sneaks me treats, and he never laughs at me. Well, almost never." "Family's important," Tom said, licking his paw. Then he glanced at Jerry. "Even the family you choose. Even if they steal your sandwiches." "Keeps life spicy," Jerry said with a wink. Just then, a loud SPLASH echoed from the pond. A kid had tossed a big stick into the water, and a Labrador was bounding after it, sending waves rolling toward the shore. My whole body went stiff. My ears flattened. The water looked dark and hungry, and in my mind I saw myself sinking, sinking, my paws paddling at nothing. "Pete?" Jerry's voice was soft. "You okay, buddy? Your fur's all puffed up." "I... I don't like water," I whispered. It felt embarrassing to say out loud. "What if it's deep? What if I can't swim? What if the pond just... swallows me?" Tom sat down beside me, surprisingly gentle. "You know what? I hate water too. Cats and water—classic story. But here's a secret: fear is just a door you haven't opened yet. Behind it might be something wonderful." "Or something wet," Jerry added. "But wonderful and wet aren't enemies." Roman came jogging over. "Pete! There you are! Who are your friends?" He crouched down, amazed. "A cat and a mouse hanging out together? That's the coolest thing I've ever seen!" "Roman," I said quietly, "can we stay away from the pond today? Please?" He looked at me for a long moment, then nodded. "Sure, buddy. No pressure. The park's huge. Let's go see the duck fountain instead—the dry side." ## Chapter 4: Lost in the Green Maze It happened so fast. A squirrel—a real, chattering, tail-flicking squirrel—darted past us with an acorn, and my puppy instincts took over like a rocket launching. "SQUIRREL!" I barked, and off I ran, with Tom and Jerry racing behind me, laughing. We chased that squirrel through bushes, around benches, past the rose garden, and deep into a part of the park I'd never seen. By the time the squirrel vanished up a tree, chittering victoriously, I looked around and my heart dropped like a stone into a well. Everything looked the same. Green trees. Green hedges. Gray paths winding in every direction like spaghetti noodles. And no Roman. No Lenny. No Mariya. "Um," I said, my voice small. "Where's my family?" Tom sniffed the air. "Too many smells. Popcorn, hot dogs, a hundred people. I can't track them." Jerry climbed onto a rock. "I can't see the picnic blanket anywhere. Pete... I think we're lost." My worst fear—the one I kept buried deeper than my fear of water—rose up inside me like a black cloud. Being separated from my family. Alone. My imagination spun terrible pictures: what if I never found them? What if they drove home without me? My legs trembled, and I sat down hard on the path. "Hey, hey." Jerry patted my paw with his tiny hand. "Look at me. I'm a mouse in a park full of cats, and I survive every single day. You know why? Because panic is a bad captain, but courage is a great one." "Your family loves you," Tom added. "Families like that don't disappear. They're looking for you right now—I guarantee it. So let's make it easier for them. Let's head for the fountain. It's the tallest thing in the park. Everyone finds the fountain." I took a deep, shaky breath. They were right. My family was out there. And I wasn't alone—I had two brave friends beside me. "Okay," I said, standing up. "To the fountain." ## Chapter 5: The Dark Tunnel The path to the fountain, unfortunately, went through the old stone tunnel beneath the hill—a shortcut Tom insisted would save us twenty minutes. The tunnel's mouth yawned before us like a sleeping giant's open jaw, and inside was darkness. Thick, heavy, complete darkness. My paws refused to move. "I can't," I whispered. "I can't go in there." The dark had always been my secret enemy. At home, I slept with a nightlight shaped like a moon. The dark was where imagination turned monsters real—where every shadow had teeth. Tom stood at the entrance. "Pete, I'll be honest. It's dark in there. Really dark." "But listen," Jerry said, climbing onto my head like a tiny general. "Do you hear that?" I listened. Somewhere beyond the tunnel, faint and far away, came the splashing of the fountain. And beneath it—was that a voice? A voice calling my name? "Roman!" I barked. "I think I hear Roman!" "The tunnel is just a hallway with no windows," Jerry said. "Nothing more. And you won't walk it alone. Tom will take your right side, I'll ride on your head, and we'll talk the whole way. Deal?" My heart hammered like a drum, but I nodded. We stepped inside. The darkness wrapped around us like a heavy blanket, and I couldn't see my own paws. My breath came fast. "Talk to me," I whimpered. "Please." "Did I ever tell you," Tom said casually, his voice a warm lantern in the black, "about the time Jerry hid in my food bowl and I ate around him for a whole minute before noticing?" "He tasted like chicken," Jerry said, and I actually laughed—a real laugh, in the middle of the dark. Step by step, joke by joke, we walked. And then—light! A golden circle growing bigger and bigger. We burst out of the tunnel into the sunshine, and I realized something amazing: the darkness hadn't hurt me. It had just been... dark. And I had walked straight through it. ## Chapter 6: The Pond Crossing There it was—the fountain, glittering on the far side of the pond. And there, on the other shore, stood my family! I could see Mariya's red scarf, Lenny's tall frame, and Roman cupping his hands around his mouth, calling, "PETE! PETE!" I barked with joy—until I saw the problem. The little bridge was blocked by a fallen branch, and the only quick way across was the shallow stepping-stone path through the water itself. "Oh no," I breathed. The water lapped at the stones, dark and rippling. Every old fear came roaring back. *You'll sink. You'll be swept away. The pond will swallow you whole.* Across the water, Roman saw me. He saw everything—my frozen paws, my flattened ears. And then he did something I'll never forget. He stepped into the shallow edge of the pond himself, shoes and all. "Pete!" he called. "Look! It's only up to my ankles! The stones are solid—I can see them! You're not crossing toward the water, buddy. You're crossing toward *us*!" "He's right," Tom said softly. "Fear told you a story about this pond. But look with your real eyes. It's shallow. It's calm. And your whole heart is waiting on the other side." Jerry squeezed my ear. "One stone at a time, buddy. That's all courage is—one stone at a time." I put one paw in the water. It was cool, not cold. The ground beneath was firm. I took another step. Then another. The water rippled around my legs, and instead of a monster, it felt like... a tickle. Like the grass, only wetter. Halfway across, I started to laugh. "I'm doing it! Tom! Jerry! I'm actually doing it!" "We see you!" they cheered from the shore. Roman waded out to meet me, and when I reached him, he scooped me up, soaking wet and all, and hugged me tight. "You brave, brave pup," he whispered. "I knew you could do it." ## Chapter 7: The Reunion The reunion on the far shore was the happiest pile of hugs in the history of hugs. Mariya wrapped me in her red scarf, kissing the top of my head. "My brave boy! We were so worried!" Lenny knelt beside us, his eyes a little shiny. "Pete, you crossed water, walked through a dark tunnel, and made two new friends—all in one afternoon. That's not a bad day's work." He paused. "Though next time, maybe chase squirrels *toward* base camp." Roman introduced Tom and Jerry to the family, and Mariya immediately shared sandwiches from the picnic basket. "Any friend of Pete's is family," she declared. As the sun began to sink, painting the pond in gold and rose, we all sat together on the blanket. Tom stretched out beside Lenny (who, to everyone's shock, turned out to be an expert cat-scratcher), and Jerry nibbled cheese on Mariya's knee. "Pete," Roman said, tossing me a bit of crust, "were you super scared today? Honestly?" "Terrified," I admitted. "The water, the dark, being lost—all my biggest fears showed up at once, like they'd planned a party." "But you beat all three," Lenny said. "How?" I thought about it carefully. "I didn't beat them alone. Tom and Jerry talked me through the dark. You stood in the water so I wouldn't be afraid of it. And knowing you were all looking for me kept my heart brave even when my paws were shaking." Mariya smiled. "That's the secret, sweetheart. Courage isn't the absence of fear. It's fear walking hand in hand with love." ## Chapter 8: Reflections at Sunset As twilight settled over Columbus Park and the first stars blinked awake, we packed up the picnic. Tom and Jerry walked us to the car, promising to meet us at the fountain next weekend. "Same time, same cheese," Jerry said, shaking my paw solemnly. Tom bumped his head against my shoulder—the cat version of a hug. "You did good today, pup. Real good." On the drive home, I curled up against Roman, pleasantly exhausted. The city lights rolled past the window again, but the picture book looked different now—or maybe I was different. "What are you thinking about, Pete?" Roman asked, stroking my velvety fur. "About how fear works," I said sleepily. "This morning, I thought being brave meant never being scared. But I was scared all day long, and I still did everything. The water was just water. The dark was just dark. And being lost taught me that love always comes looking." Lenny glanced at me in the rearview mirror. "That's wiser than most humans, pup." "And you know what the best part was?" I murmured, my eyes drifting closed. "Every scary thing became a story. And stories are my favorite thing in the whole world." Mariya's soft voice floated from the front seat. "Then sleep, little storyteller. Tomorrow, we'll start a new chapter." And as the car hummed through the evening, I dreamed of fountains and friends, of stepping stones and starlight—dreams with no monsters in them at all. Because I had learned the great secret: courage isn't something you're born with, like fur or a tail. It's something you build, stone by stone, laugh by laugh, hand in hand with the ones who love you. And a family that searches for you, believes in you, and waits on the far shore—that is the strongest magic of all. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great We Out Adventure *** 2026-09-29T15:04:54.656907400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great We Out Adventure ***"🐾 ...