Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, September 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Pier 25 Adventure *** 2026-09-26T09:23:00.929524500

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Pier 25 Adventure ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Car Ride of Butterflies** The morning sun spilled across the dashboard like melted honey as our family car hummed toward the city. I, Pete the Puggle, sat pressed against the window, my velvety white fur ruffled by the air vent, my stomach doing little somersaults. "You're awfully quiet back there, buddy," Roman said, turning around to scratch behind my ears. "Usually you're narrating the whole trip." "I'm just... thinking," I said, watching the Hudson River appear in flashes between buildings. That water. So big. So *wet*. My paws felt cold just looking at it. Lenny caught my eye in the rearview mirror. "Pete, a wise old puggle once told me that butterflies in your tummy just mean something wonderful is about to hatch." "Dad, that doesn't even make sense," Roman laughed. "It makes *Pete* sense," Lenny said with a wink, and despite my nerves, I giggled. Mariya turned in her seat, her eyes twinkling the way they always did when she spotted magic hiding in ordinary things. "Look at the river, Pete. See how it sparkles? It's not scary—it's just a million tiny suns dancing on the surface, waiting to meet you." "But what if they want to *swallow* me instead?" I whispered. "Then George will fish you out," Roman said. "He's meeting us there. He was in the Navy, Pete. He swims like a dolphin who drank three espressos." I tried to imagine that. A caffeinated dolphin. It almost made the water seem less enormous. Almost. As we pulled into the parking area near Pier 25, my heart thumped like a drum in a marching band. The pier stretched out over the river, long and gray and humming with people, gulls, and the smell of salt and pretzels. My adventure was about to begin—whether my paws were ready or not. **Chapter Two: Meeting George the Dolphin-Man** George was waiting at the pier entrance, tall and sun-browned, with a grin as wide as the river itself. He crouched down the moment he saw me. "So this is the famous Pete!" George boomed. "Roman talks about you nonstop. Says you're the bravest puggle in the whole borough." I shuffled my paws. "He says that?" "Well," Roman admitted, ruffling my head, "I say you're the *snuggliest*. The brave part is still under review." Everyone laughed, and I felt a warm glow, even as the river slapped against the pilings below us with sounds like giant hands clapping. George noticed me flinch. He sat right down on the wooden planks so we were eye to eye. "Hey, can I tell you a secret? When I first joined the Navy, I was scared of deep water. Terrified." "You?" I gasped. "But you're a swimmer!" "Now I am. Back then, I'd stand at the edge of the pool shaking like a leaf in a storm. You know what my instructor told me? 'Fear is just your body asking questions. Courage is answering them one at a time.'" "What does that mean?" I asked. "It means you don't have to be brave all at once. You just take one small step. Then another. The water doesn't get smaller—you get bigger." Mariya knelt beside us. "Pete, remember when you were scared of the vacuum cleaner? And now you bark at it like it's your arch-nemesis?" "That vacuum *is* my arch-nemesis," I said proudly, and everyone laughed again. We wandered down the pier, past mini-golf and kids shrieking on the playground, until we reached the railing where the water stretched out forever. George pointed at a little dock with kayaks. "No pressure, Pete. But if you ever want to dip a paw, I'll be right there. Roman too." I stared at the water. It glittered and gulped and whispered. My butterflies were back—but now, strangely, a few of them felt like excitement. **Chapter Three: One Paw at a Time** "Okay," I said, surprising even myself. "One paw." Roman whooped so loudly a seagull fell off its lamppost in shock. George led us down to the floating dock, which rocked gently beneath my paws like a cradle that couldn't quite commit. "The dock moves!" I yelped, flattening myself like a furry pancake. "It moves *with* the water, not against it," George said calmly, kneeling so the dock steadied. "That's the first lesson of the river, Pete. Fighting the water makes you tired. Listening to it makes you strong." Lenny called from the pier above, "Go, Pete! Remember, the water is just a million tiny suns—" "That's *my* line!" Mariya laughed. I crept forward. One step. The dock swayed, and my heart hammered, but I thought of George's words: *fear is your body asking questions.* "What are you asking, body?" I muttered. "It's asking if we're going to drown," I answered myself. "And the answer is no, because George swims like a caffeinated dolphin." "I heard that!" George called, grinning. At the edge of the dock, I lowered one trembling paw toward the river. The water reached up and kissed my toe beans—cold, surprising, alive. I yanked back, then... put it in again. And left it there. "It's... it's actually kind of nice," I breathed. Roman crouched beside me and dipped his hand in too. "See? We do it together. That's the rule. Nobody faces the water alone." For a long moment we sat there, brothers, hands and paws in the river, while the current hummed an old, patient song beneath us. I wasn't ready to swim. But I had answered my first question, and the answer was: *I am still here.* **Chapter Four: The Fog Rolls In** After lunch—pretzels, hot dogs, and one stolen french fry that I maintain was a gift from the universe—the sky began to change. A gray fog crept over the river like a cat sneaking across a rug, soft and silent and swallowing everything. "We should head back toward the entrance," Lenny said, checking his phone. "This came in fast." But Roman, George, and I had wandered down to the far end of the pier to watch the kayakers, and in the swirling white, the pier suddenly looked the same in every direction. The crowds thinned. The sounds of the playground faded into cotton. "Stay close," George said, his voice calm but firm. "Fog on the Hudson is no joke. Voices carry weirdly." Then it happened. A horn blasted from a passing tugboat—a deep, bone-shaking *BWAAAA*—and I bolted. Pure instinct. My legs just went. When I finally skidded to a stop, panting, the fog was everywhere, and my family was nowhere. "Roman?" I called. My voice came out small. "George? Lenny? *Mom?*" Only the fog answered, curling around me like cold fingers. The dark shadows of pilings loomed through it, and suddenly the water wasn't a million tiny suns—it was a million watching eyes. My old fears came rushing back all at once: the water, the dark, and the worst one of all—being alone. Being lost. Being a tiny white puggle in a huge gray world where nobody could find me. I curled into a ball beside a piling, trembling. Then I heard George's voice in my memory: *Fear is your body asking questions. Answer them one at a time.* "Okay," I whispered to myself. "Question one: Am I hurt? No. Question two: Is my family looking for me? Yes—of course they are. Question three: What would Roman do?" And the answer came clear as a bell: *Roman would stay put, stay calm, and make noise.* **Chapter Five: The Bravest Bark in the World** I stood up on wobbly legs. The fog pressed against me like a wet blanket, and the darkness between the pilings seemed to breathe. But I planted my paws and did the hardest thing I had ever done. I barked. "BARK! BARK! BARK!" Not my vacuum-cleaner bark. Not my mailman bark. My *family* bark—the one from the deepest room of my heart, the one that said *I am here, I am Pete, come find me.* Between barks, I listened. The fog played tricks, bouncing sounds off the water like a pinball machine. But then—faint, far away—I heard it. "PETE! Keep barking, buddy! We're coming!" Roman! His voice was a rope thrown across the fog, and I grabbed it with my whole heart. "I'm here! I'm barking! I'm being brave!" I barked and barked, and with every bark the dark shapes in the fog grew less scary, because my voice was filling them up with *me*. Then, squelching through the mist, came George—soaking wet, having checked the water's edge first like the Navy man he was—and right behind him, Roman, whose face crumpled with relief the second he saw me. "Pete!" Roman scooped me up so fast my ears flapped. "You stayed put. You barked. That was *exactly* right. I heard you from fifty yards away." "I was so scared," I admitted into his shoulder. "The fog, and the dark, and I couldn't find anyone—" "But you used your fear instead of letting it use you," George said, patting my head with a wet hand. "That's the bravest thing I've seen all year, and I've seen sailors fight storms." Roman held me tighter. "You know what? The review is over. You're officially the bravest puggle in the borough." As we walked back through the fog together, George on one side and Roman on the other, I realized something amazing: the dark hadn't changed. The fog hadn't changed. *I* had changed. I was bigger now—on the inside, where it counts. **Chapter Six: The Reunion at the Railing** We found Lenny and Mariya near the pier entrance, and Mom's cry of joy could have parted the fog all by itself. "PETE!" Mariya swept me from Roman's arms and squeezed me so tight I squeaked. "Oh, my brave little boy, we were looking everywhere—Lenny flagged down the pier staff, we had people calling your name—" "I knew he'd keep his head," Lenny said, but his voice wobbled, and when he took me from Mariya, he held me a second longer than usual. "You did exactly the right thing, pal. Stayed put. Made noise. Trusted us to come." "George taught me," I said. "Fear is just questions. I answered them one at a time." George laughed. "Taught you? Pete, you taught *yourself*. I just handed you the flashlight." We sat together on a bench as the fog began to thin, the sun burning through in pale gold coins. Roman sat on one side of me, George on the other, and my humans wrapped around us like parentheses. "Can I tell you something?" Roman said quietly. "When we realized you were gone, I was more scared than I've ever been in my life. But George told me, 'Panic is a bad captain.' So I breathed, and I listened, and I heard your bark." "And I heard *your* voice," I said. "It was a rope." Roman smiled. "Then I guess we saved each other." Mariya gazed out at the river, which sparkled again now, innocent as if it had never been wrapped in fog at all. "You know what I see now?" she said softly. "Not just tiny suns. I see the place where my puppy became a hero." "Aw, Mom," I said, but my tail was wagging so hard it thumped the bench like a drum. **Chapter Seven: Reflections on the Ride Home** On the drive home, the city lights rose around us like constellations, and I lay across Roman's lap, tired in the good way—the way that comes from spending every drop of courage you have and finding out the well refills itself. "Best part of the day?" Lenny asked from the driver's seat, our family ritual. "The kayaks," George said. "And watching a certain puggle dip his paw in the Hudson." "The fog clearing," Mariya said. "And the hug. Definitely the hug." "Pete's bark," Roman said. "Loudest, bravest sound on the whole river." Everyone looked at me. I thought about it—the water kissing my toes, the fog swallowing the world, the barking, the finding, the hug. "My favorite part," I said slowly, "is that I was scared of three things today. The water, the dark, and being alone. And I found out that all three of them get smaller when you face them with people who love you. And even when you're *actually* alone, you're not really—because you carry your people's voices inside you, like snacks in a pocket." "Like snacks in a pocket," Lenny repeated, wiping his eye and blaming it on allergies. "That's going in the family book, right under 'the vacuum is your arch-nemesis.'" As the car hummed toward home, I watched the river slide past one last time, glittering with its million tiny suns. I wasn't its friend yet—not completely. But I wasn't its enemy either. We had an understanding now, the river and me. It would keep asking its big, wet questions. And I would keep answering them, one paw at a time. Because courage, I had learned, isn't the absence of fear. It's fear with its chin up. It's a small white puggle barking into the fog, trusting that love always, always comes looking. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pete the Puggle’s Liberty Park Adventure: Overcoming Fears and Finding Courage 2026-09-28T10:06:22.593162800

"Pete the Puggle’s Liberty Park Adventure: Overcoming Fears and Finding Courage"🐾 ...