Followers Woof Woof :)

Saturday, September 26, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Secret Waves of Vesuvio Playground *** 2026-09-26T09:28:16.328521900

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Secret Waves of Vesuvio Playground ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Road to the Shimmering Hill The morning sun spilled across our kitchen like melted honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, stood on my hind legs with my front paws on the window, watching Dad Lenny load the blue cooler into the car. My short white fur tingled from nose to tail; even the playful streaks Mom Mariya had brushed near my eyes seemed to sparkle with excitement. “Today,” I declared to my reflection, “I shall be brave enough to sniff every corner of Vesuvio Playground!” My reflection wagged back, unconvinced. “Pete,” called Roman, my older brother and best friend and occasional rival, “if you eat breakfast that fast, you’ll turn into a burp with legs.” He grinned and ruffled my ears, but I saw him tuck an extra towel into his backpack—four towels, actually, which made my stomach flutter like a moth in a jar. Mariya knelt beside me and whispered, “Magic hides in ordinary days, little one. Look for it.” Lenny lifted me into the car and said, “Courage is just fear that put on its sneakers.” I laughed, though my paws felt cold. At Vesuvio Playground, the hill rose green and golden, dotted with slides like silver ribbons and a splash pool flashing blue beneath the sun. Children shouted; gulls argued overhead; somewhere a radio played a song too cheerful for my nerves. Then I saw the water. It was not enormous, not really, but to me it gleamed like a giant eye, blinking and knowing. My legs locked. Lenny noticed immediately. “Hey, buddy,” he said, crouching so his warm eyes were level with mine, “we go at Pete-speed today.” Roman bounced beside us. “And if Pete-speed is backward, I’ll race you backward.” I wanted to believe them. I truly did. But the water whispered my name in a voice like sliding stones. A sharp bark sliced the air. From behind a bench shot a compact thunderbolt: a Jack Russell Terrier with tan eyebrows and a glare like a tiny general. “This is my ramp, my puddle, my cloud, my bench!” he barked. “I am Kirusha, and nobody sniffs before I sniff!” I bristled despite myself. “I am Pete, and clouds belong to the sky.” Kirusha lunged, not to bite but to bluff, and I bluffed back, louder than I felt. Roman stepped between us, laughing. “Great. Two captains, one playground.” ## Chapter Two: Kirusha’s Challenge and George’s Calm Kirusha circled me with military precision, his paws tapping the rubber path like drumsticks. “White puppy with painted eyes,” he sneered, “are you decoration or dog?” I lifted my chin. “I am an adventurer.” He yipped. “Adventurers don’t tremble at sprinklers.” Heat rushed under my fur. Before I could answer, a tall young man with sun-browned arms and an easy stride walked up beside Roman. “George!” Roman shouted. They clasped hands the way old friends do when no words are needed. George had been in the Navy, Roman had told me, and he moved near water the way birds move near air—certain, respectful, unafraid. “This the famous Pete?” George asked, kneeling. His voice was low and steady, like a boat engine idling far offshore. I sniffed his hand; it smelled of salt, oranges, and sunscreen. “He’s brave,” Roman said quickly, too quickly, and Kirusha barked, “Prove it! Cross the shallow stream with me.” My heart became a drum in a tunnel. The “stream” was only a narrow channel running through the playground into the splash pool, bright as spilled glass. Children hopped over it laughing. To me it looked wider than a road. Mariya approached with that curious tilt of her head. “What does the water say, Pete?” she asked gently. I almost said, It says I am small. Instead I whispered, “It says things I don’t like.” Lenny nodded as if I had spoken profound philosophy. “Then we’ll teach it a new sentence.” George sat on the edge and rolled up his sleeves. “In the Navy,” he said, “we learned fear is information wearing a scary costume. Don’t obey the costume. Read the information.” Kirusha snorted. “Speeches don’t float.” But his ears, I noticed, leaned toward George too. Roman took off his shoes and stepped into the stream, water barely over his toes. “Look, Pete. It holds me, but it doesn’t own me.” He held out his hand. I placed one paw at the edge. Cold kissed my pad. I yanked back. Kirusha laughed—sharp, lonely laughter. Something in that sound pricked me more than the water did. It was the laugh of someone daring the world to leave him behind. “Again,” I said, surprising us all. ## Chapter Three: The First Step Is a Ocean I put my paw down again. The cold climbed my leg like a hundred tiny ants wearing ice boots. My breath came fast; the playground blurred at the edges. I heard Mariya murmur, “Ordinary water, extraordinary puppy.” Lenny stood behind me, not pushing, only present, a mountain that had learned to kneel. Roman didn’t cheer loudly this time; he simply kept his hand open. George watched the current. “Feel where it’s going,” he said. “Don’t fight the whole river. Choose one step.” Kirusha paced on the opposite bank. “If you fall, I’ll tell everyone,” he barked, but there was a crack in his bravado. “If I fall,” I answered, “you’ll have to help me tell it right.” For the first time, he stopped pacing. I slid my second paw in. The stream pushed; I pushed back—not against the water, but against the old story in my head that said small dogs disappear. My body trembled so hard my tags sang. Then Roman splashed one playful drop onto my nose, and I sneezed, and everyone laughed, and the laugh loosened the fear’s fist. I crossed. Not gracefully. Not dryly. But truly. On the far side I shook so violently that droplets flew like tiny stars, and Kirusha got soaked. He froze, offended to his whiskers. “You did that on purpose!” “Maybe,” I said, panting, “a little.” He stared; then his tail gave one betraying wag. “Hmph. Not terrible.” George smiled. “That’s how it starts,” he told Roman. “Respect disguised as insult.” Mariya clapped softly, eyes bright. Lenny lifted me onto a warm towel. “See?” he whispered. “Sneakers.” I leaned into him, exhausted and shining. Yet even as pride glowed in my chest, I noticed the sun sliding lower and shadows stretching long fingers from the climbing towers. A new fear waited there, patient as dusk: the dark, and the terrible possibility of losing my family in it. ## Chapter Four: The Tunnel Under the Volcano Vesuvio Playground had a pretend volcano at its center, a red-and-black mound with tunnels winding through it like the burrows of some ancient beast. Children vanished into one mouth and erupted from another, shrieking with joy. Roman’s eyes lit up. “Race through the lava tubes!” Kirusha immediately positioned himself at the entrance. “I know every turn. Follow me or be lost forever.” His voice boomed bigger than his body. I looked inside. The tunnel swallowed light after three steps. “I’ll go with Pete,” Mariya said, but a crowd of children surged between us, laughing and chasing a rolling ball. Lenny called, “Meet at the east slide!” George added, “Stay together, you three.” Then Kirusha darted in, Roman whooped after him, and I—afraid to be left, afraid to enter—plunged forward because separation suddenly felt worse than darkness. Inside, the world narrowed to breath and echoes. My claws scraped plastic. The air smelled of dust, old rain, and bubblegum dropped by strangers. “Roman?” I called. My voice came back thinner. “Roman!” A turn split into two. Kirusha’s white-tipped tail flicked left; Roman’s laugh bounced right. I chose left, then doubted, then turned again. The tunnel became a maze inside my own ribs. I imagined my family driving away, their faces fading at the rear window. I imagined the pool filling with night. Fear did not knock this time; it moved in and rearranged the furniture. I stopped, frozen, whimpering at a fork where both paths were black. Then I heard Kirusha ahead, not barking commands but growling low. “Back off,” he snarled at darkness. Something rustled—only a plastic bag caught in a vent, but in the tunnel it sounded like claws. Kirusha stood between me and the sound, tiny and furious. “No one eats my rival,” he snapped. My fear hiccuped. “Rival?” I whispered. “Fine,” he admitted. “Friend-in-training. Move.” Together we backed toward a coin of light. It widened. We burst out—not at the east slide, but behind the maintenance gate, beyond the playground fence, where weeds grew tall and the family was nowhere in sight. ## Chapter Five: Lost Beyond the Fence The world outside Vesuvio Playground was too large. Cars hissed past like metal waves. The hill hid the pool, the slides, even the volcano’s red crown. Kirusha’s bravado shrank; he pressed against my shoulder while pretending to inspect a leaf. “I meant to come here,” he said. “Strategic patrol.” “Of course,” I answered, though my own legs were jelly. We called for Roman, for Lenny, for Mariya, for George, and the wind carried our voices away like crumbs. Then the sky deepened from gold to violet. Shadows gathered beneath bushes, each one shaped like the thing I feared most: absence. A rustle made us both jump; a cat’s eyes flashed and vanished. Kirusha barked so hard he hopped. “I am not scared!” he insisted. “Good,” I said, “because I am scared enough for both.” He looked at me then, really looked, and some hard little gate inside him opened. “My old humans left me at a park once,” he muttered. “Said they’d come back. They didn’t. So now I arrive first, bark first, bite first. Safer.” The confession sat between us, trembling and real. I thought of Lenny’s kneeling mountain, Mariya’s magic ordinary days, Roman’s open hand, George’s steady water voice. “My family comes back,” I said. “But I have to help them find me. We stay near the gate, make sound, leave scent.” Kirusha blinked. “That’s… clever.” We barked in patterns—three short, one long—our code. We dragged my fallen blue tag string across the dirt. We pushed through fear not by defeating it, but by giving it a job: keep watch while we signal. A splash beyond the fence made me freeze. The pool! Evening sprinklers had switched on, silver arcs in the dimness. Between us and the gate lay a wet stretch shining black. Kirusha saw me stiffen. “Oh no,” he groaned. “Not your water opera now.” But Roman’s distant whistle floated over the fence—our family’s three-note call. To answer, I had to cross the dark water. ## Chapter Six: Black Water, Bright Whistle The puddle before the gate was not deep, but night had poured ink into it. Every reflected lamp became a yellow eye. My old terror returned wearing new armor: water plus dark plus separation, the three giants holding hands. I heard George in memory: fear is information. Information said, Unknown depth. Slippery edge. Don’t leap blindly. Courage said, One step. Roman’s whistle came again—closer, urgent. Kirusha planted himself beside me. “If you freeze, I’ll drag you by the ear, and I’ll enjoy it.” “Romantic,” I muttered. He barked a laugh that startled us both. I touched the black water. Cold. Alive. Not evil—only cold. I remembered the stream: it pushed, I chose. I remembered the tunnel: darkness was not empty when a friend growled beside me. I remembered separation: love had a whistle, and I had a voice. I stepped in. The puddle gripped my ankles; the bottom was rough, then firm. “Left paw,” I whispered. “Right paw. Pete-speed.” Kirusha matched me step for step, muttering insults like prayers: “Slow decoration. Painted-eyed canoe. Ridiculous brave furball.” Halfway across, my paw slipped on algae. Panic flashed white. I plunged chest-deep, water slapping my chin. For one terrible second I was sure the pool had followed me into night. Then Kirusha clamped gently onto my scruff—not biting, anchoring—and George’s voice rose inside me: choose one step. I found stone under my back paw. I stood, coughing, and laughed. Actually laughed. “I’m wetter than courage,” I gasped. Kirusha released me, pretending disgust. “You smell like a heroic sponge.” We scrambled through the gate gap just as flashlights swept the path. “Three-short-one-long!” Roman shouted. “They’re answering!” Beams crossed; shapes ran; I heard Mariya cry my name like a bell. Then Roman burst around the corner, soaked to the knees, George behind him with a coil of rope over his shoulder, Lenny and Mariya close behind. Roman dropped to his knees so hard the gravel cracked. I launched into him, shaking water and tears and triumph all over his shirt. ## Chapter Seven: Found Is a Warm Word Roman wrapped me in the extra towel—the fourth towel, the one my fluttering stomach had doubted. “I heard you,” he kept saying. “I heard your code. You taught Kirusha our whistle?” Kirusha sat very straight, muddy and magnificent. “He needed supervision.” George laughed and rubbed Kirusha’s head; for once, the little general allowed it. Lenny lifted me into his arms, and Mariya pressed her cheek to my damp fur, smelling of lavender and relief. “We followed the east slide,” she said, “but the crowd split us. I kept looking for ordinary magic. Then I heard extraordinary barking.” “Three short, one long,” Lenny said, voice thick. “Best sentence I ever heard.” George scanned the gate, the puddle, the tunnel mouths. “You did exactly right,” he told us. “Stayed near a landmark, signaled, didn’t run blindly into roads. That’s not luck. That’s seamanship.” Kirusha puffed up. “I am naturally nautical.” Roman raised an eyebrow. “You also called Pete a canoe.” “A brave canoe,” Kirusha corrected, and everyone laughed until the dark felt less like a mouth and more like a blanket. Back inside the playground, lights glowed along paths and the volcano tunnels looked smaller, almost shy. Mariya produced water and treats; Lenny found my spare collar light and clicked it on, a small red moon against my chest. Roman kept one hand on me as if making sure I remained in the world. I leaned into him and thought how being found was not the opposite of being lost; it was the proof that love had been searching the whole time. George sat beside Kirusha. “You stood guard over fear in the tunnel,” he said. Kirusha looked away. “Somebody had to be terrifying.” “No,” George said gently, “somebody chose to be loyal. Terrifying was just the costume.” Kirusha’s tail thumped once, twice, then hid beneath him as if embarrassed by joy. ## Chapter Eight: The Fire We Carry Home We gathered near the splash pool, now calm under lamplight, its surface stitched with gold. Families drifted home; the playground exhaled. Roman sat with me curled against his side, Kirusha close enough that our shoulders touched. Lenny opened the cooler and handed around juice boxes like tiny treasures. Mariya pointed at the first star. “There,” she said. “Ordinary sky, extraordinary wish.” George smiled. “Make it a good one, Pete.” “I was afraid of water,” I said slowly, tasting the truth. “Afraid it would erase me. Afraid dark would hide you. Afraid if I let go of your heels, the world would keep you.” Roman’s arm tightened. “I was afraid too,” he admitted. “When I couldn’t find you, my brain made terrible movies.” Lenny nodded. “Mine had sequels.” Mariya took my paw. “Fear visited all of us. But it didn’t get to choose the ending.” Kirusha stared into the pool. “I bark because quiet sounds like being left,” he said. “Today quiet had Pete in it. It was… acceptable.” George lifted his juice box. “To crossing streams, tunnels, black puddles, and old stories.” We touched boxes, paws, and hands. I looked at my family—Lenny warm and wise, Mariya curious and glowing, Roman playful and protective, George steady as a lighthouse, Kirusha fierce and finally ours—and understood that courage is not a roar. Sometimes it is a wet paw placed down while every nerve screams no. As we walked to the car, I paused at the edge of the pool. The water reflected all of us together, wobbling but whole. I dipped one paw in, on purpose, and did not pull away. “Tomorrow,” I told Kirusha, “rematch on the ramp.” He grinned with all his teeth and none of his armor. “Tomorrow, best friend, I’ll let you win almost.” Behind us Lenny whispered, “Sneakers,” and Mariya


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great We Out Adventure *** 2026-09-29T15:04:54.656907400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great We Out Adventure ***"🐾 ...