Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

*** The Puggle Who Learned the River’s Song *** 2026-09-23T21:48:28.101821500

"*** The Puggle Who Learned the River’s Song ***"๐Ÿพ

## Chapter One: The Morning Before the Water The sun rose over our little home like a golden biscuit begging to be chased, and I, Pete the Puggle, woke with my tail already thumping a brave rat-a-tat against Lenny’s ankles. My white fur felt extra velvety that morning, and the playful streaks around my eyes—Mariya called them my “adventure paint”—tingled as if they knew a grand tale was sniffing at the door. “Today,” Lenny announced, tying his shoes with the seriousness of a captain knotting sails, “we go to Stuyvesant Cove Park, where the East River sparkles and the gardens keep secrets.” My ears shot up. Park! Secrets! Then my belly flipped. Water. Wide, shining, moving water. Mariya packed sandwiches cut into moons and stars, humming as though ordinary bread could become enchanted if you loved it enough. “Pete,” she said, crouching so her eyes were level with mine, “magic hides in brave beginnings.” I licked her chin to show courage, though inside I was a small drum being rolled downstairs. Roman leaned against the doorway, grinning that older-brother grin that could mean mischief or protection. “Scared of the river, Pete?” he teased, but gently. I lifted my chin. “A puggle fears nothing except empty food bowls.” It was a lie shaped like a joke, and everyone knew it, which somehow made it warmer. By the time we reached the park, the city had softened into green. Stuyvesant Cove opened before us like a page in a pop-up book: native grasses whispered, flowers nodded their bright heads, and beyond the path the East River moved in slow silver folds. Gulls wrote looping letters across the sky. Somewhere a ferry sighed like an old dog settling down. I stayed close to Lenny’s leg, close enough to smell soap and coffee and safety. “Smell that?” Lenny asked. “Adventure has a nose, too.” I sniffed. Salt, mud, blossoms, hot pretzel from a distant cart—and underneath, something ancient and starry, like midnight kissing snow. Then I saw her. Near the railing stood a female dog with fur like moonlight poured over smoke, eyes deep as space before dawn. She wore no collar, yet around her neck glimmered a faint ring, as if a halo had learned to wag. “Pete,” she said, though her mouth did not move, “I have been waiting since 1957.” I froze. Roman blinked. “Did that dog just—?” “Laika,” she answered, turning her gaze to the river. “I fell through time and came back with stars in my pockets. Today, little Puggle, the water will ask your name.” My paws wanted to run home. My heart, traitor and hero both, leaned forward. ## Chapter Two: Laika of the Starlit Leash Laika walked beside us as lightly as a thought no one could catch. To most people she must have looked like a stray enjoying the breeze; to me she was a comet wearing fur. Mariya, endlessly curious, tilted her head. “There is something unusual about her.” Lenny smiled. “Most good friends are unusual at first.” Roman crouched and offered his knuckles. Laika touched them with her nose, and I swear the air chimed. “You disappeared into space,” Roman whispered, half awe, half disbelief. “I went farther than fear,” Laika replied. “Then I learned to come back.” Her words curled around my ribs and stayed there. We followed the winding path past milkweed and bayberry, where butterflies opened and closed like tiny books. Lenny told a silly joke—“Why did the river bring a suitcase? Because it was going with the flow!”—and I laughed so hard I forgot, for three whole seconds, to be afraid. Mariya pointed at the water. “Look how it carries light without keeping it.” I looked. The river was not one thing but many: blue, gray, green, flashing, hiding, revealing. It seemed to breathe. My courage shrank to the size of a pea under a mattress. What if water did not love back? What if it swallowed paws and names? Laika brushed against me. “When I was sealed inside my capsule,” she said softly, “the dark was larger than Earth. I thought loneliness had teeth. Then I heard my own heartbeat, small and stubborn, and I understood: courage is not the absence of trembling. It is trembling that walks anyway.” Roman heard her too; I knew because his playful face became quiet. “Pete,” he said, “you don’t have to be brave all at once. Just next-step brave.” I wanted to believe him. I wanted to be the hero of my own story instead of the pup who hid behind Dad’s shoes. A gust swept off the river, carrying spray that kissed my nose. I yelped and skittered backward, ashamed before the echo faded. Lenny did not laugh. He knelt and placed his warm hand on my chest. “Feel that?” he asked. My heart galloped. “That is not weakness. That is your engine.” Mariya added, “Even rivers begin as raindrops afraid of falling.” I looked from one beloved face to another and felt fear loosen one claw. Not leave—never so simple—but loosen. Laika’s eyes gleamed like distant navigation lights. “Stay near,” she said. “The day has teeth, but so do we.” ## Chapter Three: The Path Breaks Like a Wave Trouble arrived wearing the mask of a squirrel. It dashed across the path with cheeks stuffed like a furry bandit, and Roman—playful, protective, forever half-challenge—shouted, “Pete, look at that tail!” My instincts leaped before my manners did. I bolted after the squirrel, Roman laughing behind me, Laika bounding like a silver shadow. “Stay on the path!” Mariya called, but the wind stole the edges of her voice. The squirrel zigged; I zagged; Roman’s sneakers slapped stone; Laika’s paws barely touched earth. The park spun into green ribbons. Then the world changed key. A maintenance gate stood open where it should have been closed, and beyond it a narrow service trail sloped toward the old pier edge. The squirrel vanished through. I skidded, claws scraping, but momentum pushed me past the sign that read AUTHORIZED ONLY. Roman grabbed my scruff—missed by a whisker—and the gate swung shut behind us with a clang that sounded enormous. “Pete!” Lenny’s voice came from the other side, suddenly far away. My blood turned to ice water. Separated. The word I had nightmares about, the one with cold hands. Roman rattled the gate. Locked. “It’s okay,” he said, though his breath came fast. “Mom! Dad! We’re here!” Laika circled once, sniffing the air. “Time is thin here,” she murmured. “The river remembers old boats and older storms. We must move before the path forgets us.” I pressed against Roman’s leg, shaking so hard my tags chattered like teeth. “I want Dad,” I whispered, and hated how small I sounded. Roman sat right down on the dusty ground and pulled me into his lap. “Then listen for him,” he said. “Family is a direction, not just a place.” From beyond the gate came Lenny’s whistle—two short notes, one long—the signal we used at home when hide-and-seek grew too serious. I answered with a bark that cracked and then held. Mariya called, “We’re coming around! Keep talking!” Her voice was a lantern. Roman lifted his chin. “Hear that, Pete? They don’t stop. Not ever.” Laika looked toward the darkening underpass ahead, where the trail dipped beneath old timbers. “Then we give them a trail of sound,” she said. “Bark brave, little one. Even if your brave squeaks.” ## Chapter Four: The Underpass of No-Light The underpass swallowed us gently, like a whale with wooden ribs. Sunlight thinned to gray, then to the color of old pennies. My fear of the dark rose up wearing many faces: a box too small, a door too heavy, a night when no one comes. I remembered being a tiny pup before memory had words, alone in a shelter kennel while footsteps passed and passed and did not choose me. That old darkness lived in my skin. Now it woke and stretched. “I can’t,” I said, and the words were true as stones. Roman’s hand found my back. “Then don’t can,” he said. “Just be here with me.” Laika stepped ahead, and her body began to glow—not harshly, but softly, the way moonlight glows on a windowsill when the house is asleep. “I know darkness,” she said. “I was launched into it before anyone asked if I was ready. There was no window wide enough for goodbye. Yet even there, Pete, I carried the smell of hay, the memory of hands, the rumor of Earth. Darkness is big, but memory is a lantern you feed with love.” I fed mine. I pictured Lenny’s laugh crinkling the kitchen; Mariya turning rain on the window into a lesson about clouds; Roman sneaking me the crust of his toast and pretending it was an accident. The underpass remained black, but inside me small lamps lit one by one. Drip. Drip. Water fell somewhere unseen, and my old terror of it hissed, You will drown in the dark and no one will find your name. I barked anyway—squeaky, fierce, imperfect. “I am Pete!” I told the dark. “I am loved and I am lost and I am still here!” Roman whooped. “That’s my brother!” His voice made walls into company. We moved slowly, paw before shoe, Laika’s glow painting puddles into fallen stars. At the far end, a rectangle of daylight trembled. It looked close as a promise and far as the moon. Then the ground under my front paw cracked. The rotten board gave way, and I plunged toward black water below with a yelp that tore the sky in half. Roman lunged and caught my collar; Laika seized the back of his jacket; for one endless heartbeat we were a chain of almost. “Hold on!” Roman grunted. I kicked, terrified of the wet mouth waiting beneath me, and discovered kicking could be climbing. ## Chapter Five: The River Takes My Name We tumbled onto a lower platform beside the river, alive but soaked with spray. The East River slapped the pilings, hungry and glittering. My fur plastered to my body; my makeup streaks ran like tiny comets; my courage seemed to have gone down the missing board. Beyond the railing, the current hurried past as if late for an appointment with the sea. Laika shook herself, scattering drops that briefly became sparks. “The gate is behind,” she said. “The family is ahead around the cove. But between us and them stands the water path.” I stared at the narrow floating dock bobbing beside us. It led to a small eco-platform where the service trail rejoined the park. To reach Roman’s whistle on the other side, we had to cross a strip of river no wider than a room and deeper than forever. To a human, perhaps a hop. To me, an ocean with teeth. “No,” I whispered. “No, no, no.” Roman squeezed water from his sleeve and sat beside me despite the cold boards. “Remember Dad’s hand on your heart?” he asked. “Engine,” I said. “And Mom’s raindrops?” “Brave beginnings.” “And me?” he asked. I leaned into him. “Best friend. Sometimes rival. Always catcher.” Laika lowered her head until our noses nearly touched. “In space I learned enemies are often only things unnamed. Name yours.” I swallowed. “Water. Dark. Being left.” “Good,” she said. “Now give them new names.” I trembled. Water became Road-That-Moves. Dark became Blanket-Not-Yet-Tucked. Separation became Echo-Until-Reunion. The river did not shrink, but my story grew larger than its noise. I placed one paw on the dock. It moved. I hated it. I placed another. It moved again. I hated it less, because moving was proof I had not frozen. Halfway across, a wake from a passing boat lifted the dock like a giant’s shrug. I slipped; river kissed my belly; terror screamed. Roman dropped flat and wrapped both arms around me. “I’ve got you!” he shouted over the rush. Laika’s eyes flashed white-blue, and for an instant the water around us calmed as if scolded by stars. “Walk, Pete,” she commanded gently. “Not because fear is gone, but because love is louder.” I walked. Four paws. Three breaths. Two hearts beating against me—Roman’s at my side, mine in my ears. One more step. Then solid ground rose up and caught me like forgiveness. ## Chapter Six: The Gull, the Storm, and the Almost-Enemy Solid ground did not mean safe ground. The sky, which had been blue as Mariya’s favorite bowl, bruised purple with surprising speed. Wind combed the grasses flat. A gull landed before us, huge and ragged, with one eye cloudy and a fishing line tangled around its leg. It opened its beak and hissed, and to my frightened mind it became a dragon wearing feathers. Laika stepped forward, fur lifting. “Careful,” she warned. “Pain can make protectors look like monsters.” The gull lunged, not at us but at the line cutting its leg, and I understood with a thump: it was trapped, as I had been trapped by boards and dark and names. Roman slowly raised his hands. “Easy, friend.” The gull snapped. I wanted to hide behind Laika, where enemies could be vaporized into harmless sparkles. Instead I remembered the underpass and barked—not attack, announcement. “We are not your storm!” I said. The gull paused. Laika’s glow softened. “Pete,” she said, “sometimes vaporizing danger is less brave than untangling it.” Roman crept closer while I spoke in my gentlest pup-voice, the one I used for kittens and crying toddlers. “You are hurting. We are helping. Do not bite the hands that come with scissors.” Mariya’s voice seemed to arrive from memory: magic in the ordinary. Lenny’s too: a joke can open a door, but patience keeps it open. Roman snipped the line with the small multi-tool Lenny had clipped to his backpack “just in case,” because dads are wizards disguised as packers. The gull shrieked once, free, then stared at us with its one bright eye. It did not thank us in words. Instead it hopped aside, revealing beneath the platform edge a metal box blinking red: the gate’s emergency release, sparking in the rain that had begun to fall. Laika touched it with her nose; time rippled like water disturbed by a stone; the spark steadied into a green light. Far away, beyond fences and pathways, I heard the gate unlock with a click as sweet as a treat jar. Then came the sound I had been chasing through every fear: Lenny’s whistle, closer now, and Mariya calling, “Pete! Roman! Laika!” The storm bent around their voices. We ran toward them through silver rain. ## Chapter Seven: Found Is a Warm Word Roman saw them first—Lenny’s rain jacket yellow as courage, Mariya’s hair darkened by rain, both of them moving along the railing with park staff and flashlights that turned drops into diamonds. “There!” Roman shouted, though his voice cracked with relief. I barked so loudly the river must have blinked. Lenny turned. His face opened like sunrise. “Pete!” He ran, not caring about puddles, and when he reached us he dropped to his knees and gathered me into arms that smelled of rain, coffee, wool, and home. I cried without shame, puppy sobs shaking my whiskers. Mariya wrapped Roman in one arm and me in the other, somehow holding Laika’s gaze over our heads. “You came back,” she whispered to the star-dog, not asking how. Laika’s halo dimmed to a tender glow. “I always come back when love calls across the dark.” A park ranger checked the gate, radioed that all were safe, and gave Roman a stern look that melted into a smile when Roman said, “I know. We left the path. I’m sorry. I kept him talking.” The ranger nodded. “Talking is good rescue work.” Under a sheltering willow, with rain stitching silver threads around us, the truth poured out. I told them about the squirrel, the locked gate, the underpass where darkness wore my oldest memories, the dock that moved like a living thing, the gull whose pain looked like anger. I did not make myself braver than I had been. That mattered. “I was terrified,” I admitted. “I am still a little terrified.” Lenny kissed the top of my head. “Then you did it exactly right.” Mariya’s eyes shone. “Fear visited; it did not get to live here.” Roman bumped my shoulder. “You crossed water, Pete.” I looked at my paws, amazed they belonged to me. “We crossed,” I corrected. He grinned, and the rivalry between us folded into something deeper—two travelers who had seen each other shake and chosen to stay. Laika lay beside us, half in this century, half in the starry black. “The universe is mostly space,” she said, “yet beings keep finding one another. That is the miracle I brought home.” Outside the willow, the rain softened. The cove brightened. A rainbow leaned down as if to drink from the river and thought better of it. ## Chapter Eight: Lessons Carried Home Like Shells We walked back slowly, no one rushing, as if the park had become


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Day Pete Conquered the Water at Chelsea Waterside *** 2026-09-24T00:03:20.456825

"*** The Day Pete Conquered the Water at Chelsea Waterside ***"๐Ÿพ ...