Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

*** The Splash-Brave Day at Madison Square Park *** 2026-09-23T21:43:03.284915300

"*** The Splash-Brave Day at Madison Square Park ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Leash of Butterflies Morning poured over the city like honey from a tilted jar, and I, Pete the Puggle, stood by the apartment door with my tail thumping a brave little drumbeat while my heart hid behind my ribs like a shy mouse. My white velvety fur had been brushed until it shone, and the playful streaks around my eyes made me look like a tiny explorer who had wrestled a rainbow and won. Lenny clipped my leash and winked. “Adventure today, Captain Pete,” he said, “but remember: courage isn’t the absence of wobbles. It’s taking the wobbles for a walk.” Mariya knelt, touching her nose to mine. “Madison Square Park is full of ordinary magic,” she whispered. “Listen for it.” Roman bounced on his heels, all elbows and grin. “Try to keep up, furball.” I tried to answer with dignity, but out came, “I am keeping up! I am internally sprinting!” The street roared with buses, pigeons, pretzel carts, and shoes—so many shoes, each pair hurrying as if late for a different destiny. To me the city smelled like toasted bagels, rain dust, pretzel salt, and the electric perfume of people dreaming awake. Yet beneath my excitement fluttered three old fears: water that splashed too high, darkness that swallowed edges, and the terrible possibility of losing my family in a crowd. When a taxi hissed through a puddle, I leaped into Roman’s leg. “Easy,” he laughed, steadying me. “It’s only a puddle wearing a taxi costume.” His hand stayed warm on my back, and I felt ashamed and grateful at once, like a candle embarrassed by needing a match. At the park gate, green leaves applauded above us, and Madison Square Park opened like a book whose pages were lawns, fountains, dogs, statues, and sparrows with opinions. Then I saw him near the Shake Shack line: Bruce Lee, our old family friend, actor and gentle thunderbolt, standing still as a pine while pigeons ignored him out of respect. “Pete!” he called, bowing so low his sunglasses nearly fell. “Your eyes say story. Your paws say maybe.” I gulped. “Mr. Bruce, today I intend to be brave-ish.” He smiled. “Brave-ish is the doorway to brave.” Roman grinned, Mariya squeezed Lenny’s hand, and I stepped onto the grass believing—almost—that the day had chosen me. ## Chapter Two: The Fountain That Roared Like a Tiny Sea The fountain sparkled ahead, tossing silver coins of water into the air and catching them again with bright, cold hands. Children shrieked happily; dogs pranced through mist; sparrows bathed like feathery businessmen washing off meetings. To everyone else it was a fountain. To me it was a white-toothed sea trapped in stone, clearing its throat. My paws became four anchors. “No,” I whispered. “Absolutely not. I have important dry business elsewhere.” Roman crouched beside me. “Pete, look at my face. I’m scared of things too.” I blinked. “You? You once ate a chili pepper on a dare and only cried for ten minutes.” “Exactly,” he said. “Ten whole minutes. Bravery is just crying forward.” Mariya dipped her fingers into the spray and held them to my nose. “Smell that? Not danger—morning, stone, sunlight, a little city dust.” Lenny added, “And chlorine’s cousin twice removed.” I snorted despite myself, then hated that a laugh had snuck past my defenses. Bruce stood near the fountain with his palms open, not pushing, not pulling, simply present. “When I was young,” he said, “I feared failing in front of cameras. My teacher told me: ‘Do not fight the water. Learn its rhythm, then choose your step.’” Roman offered his palm. “One paw on the wet edge. That’s all. I’ll count with you.” I placed one paw where the stone darkened with spray. Cold licked my pads; my whole body screamed retreat, retreat, retreat! Inside my chest, fear wore my own voice and said, If you get wet, you will vanish. But Roman counted, “One sniff, two sniff, brave little dude,” and Mariya hummed the song she sang during thunderstorms. Lenny whispered, “We are the shore.” I lifted my second paw. The fountain roared; I roared back, a tiny puggle trumpet. Water touched my chest and did not steal me. I was still Pete—wet, shaking, astonished, and one inch taller inside. ## Chapter Three: Bruce Lee and the Shadow-Dragon After my fountain victory, which I described to a dachshund as “basically surfing,” Bruce led us toward the dog run while telling stories between bites of a veggie burger. “On movie sets,” he said, “monsters are usually rubber, wires, and a man named Gary who needs lunch.” Roman laughed so hard he dropped a fry, which I heroically rescued from the floor of history. Bruce grew thoughtful. “But the fiercest opponent is the shadow-dragon inside. It knows your true name and whispers it wrongly.” My ears lowered. “Mine whispers, ‘small, lost, left behind.’” Bruce nodded. “Then we answer with better names.” A sudden commotion rattled the run—a skateboarder clipped the fence, a gate clanged, and a burst of balloons exploded upward like startled moons. Dogs barked; a stroller rolled; someone shouted; the crowd folded and unfolded. In the confusion, a black-and-orange kite shaped like a dragon dipped low, snapping its tail. To my fear it was not nylon and string. It was the shadow-dragon wearing daylight. I froze. Bruce did not punch it; he stepped between me and the kite, calm as mountain breath. “Pete,” he said, “watch my hands. Empty can be strong.” He guided the kite aside with two gentle fingers while the embarrassed owner ran up apologizing. Roman reached for my leash, but a surge of children chasing bubbles swept between us like a glittering river. Mariya called, “Pete!” Lenny whistled our family tune—three notes, then two. I answered, but my bark came out thin as paper. For one terrible heartbeat the crowd became a forest of legs, every trunk moving, no faces where faces should be. Then Roman’s voice cut through: “Pete! Base camp!” I ran toward it, nails skidding, leash dragging like a comet tail. Bruce moved beside me, not carrying me, matching my speed. “Again,” he said softly. “Name yourself.” I gasped, “Pete. Loved. Found.” The dragon kite rose harmlessly into the blue, and I hated it less. ## Chapter Four: Lost Beneath the Legs It happened anyway, the way nightmares practice during the day. A squirrel with the confidence of a tiny mayor dashed across the path; every dog lunged; my collar twisted; Roman’s hand slipped; and the world tilted into noise. I tumbled under a bench, through a forest of ankles, past a saxophone case open like a yawning mouth, and when I popped free, my family was gone. The park, so friendly minutes before, stretched into a green ocean with no lighthouse. “Mariya?” I squeaked. “Lenny? Roman? Bruce?” A pigeon looked at me as if I had asked for directions to the moon. My fear of separation was not loud at first; it was precise. It drew a map of every bad ending: me at closing time, me in a truck, me as a statue pigeons criticize. The shadows under the benches deepened though the sun still shone, because darkness can begin inside before the sky agrees. I remembered Bruce saying, “Empty hands,” and Roman saying, “Crying forward,” and Lenny saying wobbles could walk. So I walked, trembling, nose down. I found Mariya’s lavender scent near a tulip bed, lost it at a hot-dog cart, found Lenny’s coffee-and-wool smell by the fountain, then lost everything in a cloud of bubble soap. A kind terrier named Pickles appeared, wearing a bandana and authority. “Newly lost?” she asked. “Temporarily misplaced,” I said, trying to sound like a spy. Pickles sniffed. “Rule one: don’t chase every smell. Choose the truest one.” I closed my eyes. Beneath pretzel, grass, pigeon, and metal, I found Roman: sunshine on sneakers, peanut butter, boy-laughter, and the faintest trace of my own fur because he carried my spare blanket in his backpack. “That way,” I whispered. Pickles wagged once. “Good nose, brave heart.” I ran, not away from fear but through it, each pawstep spelling family, family, family across the stone. ## Chapter Five: The Dark Under the Bridge of Benches The truest smell led toward the playground, then vanished where a row of benches made a low tunnel near the maintenance shed. It was not real night, but under there the light fell in coins too small to spend. My fear of the dark uncurled like a cat with sharp patience. It said, Come in, little Pete. I keep all lost things. I saw shapes: a broom became a witch’s spine; a trash bag breathed; a chain hung like the tail of something that had not decided to forgive me. I backed away so fast I bumped my own behind. “Not today,” I told the tunnel, though my voice wobbled like jelly on a skateboard. Then I heard Roman’s whistle—three notes, two—answered by a softer echo that might have been my imagination wearing hope. I wanted to wait until rescue arrived shining and certain. But Mariya’s voice returned from memory: “Magic is ordinary things refusing to be only ordinary.” The tunnel was only benches, only shade, only a path between me and my brother. Bruce’s teaching stirred: “Do not fight the dark. Make one honest lamp.” I had no lamp, but I had names. I whispered, “Lenny is warm. Mariya is curious. Roman is coming. Bruce is calm. Pete is… present.” The last word felt small and mighty. I entered one paw at a time, singing our family tune badly enough to scare actual monsters away. Halfway through, a plastic bag scraped my flank and I yelped, “I accept your challenge, laundry ghost!” Nothing attacked. Nothing needed to. On the far side, light touched my nose like Mariya’s kiss. I emerged dusty, leaf-crowned, and shaking, but I had crossed a darkness without waiting for it to become day. Behind me the tunnel shrank back into benches. Ahead, beyond the fence, I heard Roman shout my name with such love that the park seemed to turn its face toward us. ## Chapter Six: Roman Finds the Howl Roman was running with my spare blanket flapping from his backpack like a flag of truce, Lenny and Mariya behind him, Bruce moving at their side with that stillness that made panic feel underdressed. I barked until my bark became a howl, and my howl became a sentence: “Here I am here I am here I am!” Roman dropped to his knees so hard I worried for the sidewalk. “Pete! I’ve got you! I’ve got you!” I collided with his chest, all fur, tears, snot, and triumph. He wrapped the blanket around me though the day was warm, because some blankets are for weather and some are for souls. Mariya gathered us into her arms as if gathering spilled stars back into a constellation. Lenny’s hand rested on my head, steadying the whole planet. “You blew the three-two whistle,” Roman said. “I heard you answer under the benches.” “I was brave-ish,” I admitted. “I sang badly at the dark.” Lenny grinned through wet eyes. “That’s our family’s official strategy.” Bruce bowed to me, deeper than before. “Today you did not become fearless. You became fluent in fear and chose another language.” I leaned into Roman’s heartbeat and thought how rescue is not someone carrying you out of life; sometimes it is hearing your name until your legs remember. Pickles trotted up, pretended she had not helped, and accepted half of Roman’s emergency sandwich as tax. “Told you,” she said. “Truest smell.” Roman laughed and promised her a statue in the park of her choosing. Mariya thanked every stranger who had pointed, called, or blocked a bicycle with a stroller. Lenny shook Bruce’s hand. “You kept him moving without taking away his moving.” Bruce looked at the fountain sparkling beyond us. “Pete kept Pete moving. I merely refused to clap for the dragon.” I puffed my chest, then sneezed from dust, because glory should always include one sneeze. ## Chapter Seven: Back to the Water, Carrying the Dark Before going home, Roman asked the question I both hoped for and dreaded: “Want to visit the fountain once more?” Every muscle voted no; every new brave cell voted maybe. Mariya read my face as she reads clouds before picnics. “We can stand far,” she said. Lenny added, “Or admire it conceptually from this bench.” Bruce said nothing, which from him was a whole speech. I looked at the water leaping and falling, always leaving, always returning, like a promise practicing itself. “Take me close,” I said. “If I say ‘pancake,’ we retreat.” Roman saluted. “Pancake is sacred.” We approached slowly. Mist jeweled my white fur; the streaks around my eyes felt less like makeup and more like war paint chosen by joy. Roman held my harness loose, not trapping me. “Remember,” he murmured, “one paw.” I put one paw in the shallow edge and felt the cold truth of it. Fear arrived right on time, wearing its old convincing suit. It said, You were lost. You were dark. You are small. I answered, “Yes. And I am here.” The fountain did not become harmless; I became larger than my first answer to it. Bruce moved through a slow form nearby, hands carving air into understanding. “Water does not apologize for being water,” he said. “Fear does not apologize for knocking. You may still choose the door.” Mariya cupped a handful of spray and let it fall like tiny applause. Lenny whispered, “The shore is portable when love packs well.” I stepped deeper—ankles, belly, chest—then hopped out laughing so hard I hiccupped. Roman lifted me halfway, then set me down because I asked him to with my eyes. “Again?” he said. “Again,” I said, and meant fountain, tunnel, separation, all of it: again, life, I am learning your rhythm. ## Chapter Eight: The Names We Keep Evening laid a violet scarf over Madison Square Park, and the lamps blinked on like patient fireflies with jobs. We sat on a bench as a family plus Bruce, plus Pickles under the bench negotiating sandwich futures. The fountain softened to silver thread; the dragon kite was gone; the dark gathered politely at the edges and did not frighten me as much, because I had visited its cousins and survived. Roman kept his arm around me. “I was so scared,” he admitted. “When you slipped away, I heard every bad thing at once.” I pressed against him. “Me too. But your whistle was a rope.” Mariya smiled at the lamps. “I kept thinking: magic is not that nothing bad happens. It is that love makes paths through bad moments.” Lenny nodded. “And jokes,” he said. “Even scared jokes are little lanterns.” Bruce gazed toward the statue glowing beyond the trees. “People believe strength is defeating foes with bare hands. Useful, occasionally.” We laughed. “But today Pete defeated no enemy outside. He befriended the part of himself that wanted to run, then taught it to walk beside him.” I felt shy under such words, so I licked Roman’s chin and said, “I also defeated a laundry ghost.” Going home, the city lights reflected in puddles, and I did not jump when a bus kissed the curb wetly. I was tired in the good way, emptied of terror and filled with names: Lenny, warm; Mariya, curious; Roman, rope-whistle; Bruce, calm hands; Pickles, sandwich queen; Pete, splash-brave, dark-crossing, found. At the door I turned once toward the park, though I could not see it, and promised the fountain, the tunnel, and the crowd: I may fear you again, but I will bring my names. The lesson curled around us like a shared blanket—courage is love practicing; family is the shore we carry; and even small paws can make big crossings. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Golden Waters of Amster Yard *** 2026-09-23T22:11:10.460550300

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Golden Waters of Amster Yard ***"🐾 ...