"*** The Brave Little Puggle of Lido Beach ***"🐾
**Chapter One: The Road to the Nature Preserve** The morning sun spilled gold across the driveway as I, Pete the Puggle, danced circles around Lenny's feet, my tail wagging like a metronome gone wild. "Lido Beach! Lido Beach!" I barked, my white velvety fur catching the light. "Dad, are we there yet? Are we? Are we?" Lenny laughed, scratching behind my ears. "Pete, we haven't even left the driveway. But I promise—the Lido Beach Passive Nature Preserve is worth the wait. Boardwalks through the mangroves, butterflies everywhere, and the calmest bay water you've ever seen." "Water?" My ears drooped. A cold shiver ran down my spine like a tiny icy finger. Water and I had an agreement: it stayed in its bowl, and I stayed on dry land. Mariya knelt beside me, her eyes twinkling. "Oh, Pete, the preserve is magical. The mangrove roots look like they're walking on tiptoes into the sea. And the birds! Herons stand so still you'd think they were statues." Roman slung his backpack over his shoulder and grinned at me. "Don't worry, little bro. I've got your back. Besides, I heard there are other dogs there sometimes. Maybe you'll make a friend." "A friend!" My tail recovered its rhythm. "I love friends!" As the car rolled down the road, I pressed my nose to the window, watching the world blur past like a painting being washed by rain. But beneath my excitement, a small knot of worry curled in my belly. Water. Dark trails. Strange places. I pushed the thoughts away, the way I pushed peas off my dinner mat, and focused on Roman's hand resting warm on my back. **Chapter Two: New Friends and an Old Rival** The preserve greeted us with a symphony of rustling palms and singing warblers. The air tasted of salt and sunshine. I bounded down the boardwalk, claws clicking like tiny drumsticks. "Stay close, Pete," Mariya called. "The trails wind everywhere." That's when I saw them. A scruffy Jack Russell Terrier stood on the path ahead, legs planted wide, chest puffed out like a feathery—no, furry—general. Beside him sat an old, dignified golden retriever with a gray muzzle. "Who are YOU?" the Jack Russell barked, his voice sharp as a snapped twig. "This is MY trail! I walk it every week!" "I'm Pete!" I said brightly. "And this trail belongs to everybody, I think." "Kirusha doesn't share trails!" he growled, and lunged at me. We tumbled into the grass, a whirlwind of white and tan fur, yipping and rolling until Roman pulled us apart. "Easy, boy!" Roman laughed. "You two fight like brothers already." The golden retriever chuckled, a deep rumbling sound like distant thunder. "Forgive Kirusha. He's brave as a lion but prickly as a sea urchin. I'm Trump. I've been coming to this preserve for ten years. I know every mangrove, every tide pool, every secret." "Secrets?" My eyes went wide as dinner plates. "Oh yes," Trump said, lowering his voice. "The hidden lagoon, where the water glows green as emerald glass at sunset. But the path there is dark, and the water is deep. Not for the faint of heart." My heart thumped. Dark AND deep? Two of my greatest fears, holding paws. Kirusha smirked. "Scared, Puggle? I knew it." **Chapter Three: The Challenge** "I am NOT scared!" I lied, my voice squeaking like a chew toy. Kirusha circled me, barking. "Prove it! Race you to the lagoon! Trump, show us the way!" And before anyone could stop us, we were off—two streaks of fur tearing down a side trail, Trump padding behind us calling, "Boys! Wait! The tide is coming in!" "Pete! Come back!" Roman's voice faded behind us like a song turned down low. We ran and ran, over roots that grabbed at my paws like gnarled fingers, under branches that whispered secrets I didn't want to hear. The trail grew narrow. The mangroves closed in overhead, braiding themselves into a green-black tunnel. Shadows pooled on the path like spilled ink. I skidded to a stop. My breath came in frightened puffs. "Kirusha... it's so dark in there." Kirusha stopped too. For the first time, his bravado cracked. "It's... it's just shadows. Shadows can't bite." "But shadows hide things," I whimpered. My old fear of the dark rose up in me like a black wave. At home, I slept with a nightlight shaped like a moon. Here, there was no moon. Only the tunnel. Trump caught up, panting. "Boys, we've gone too far. The family is far behind us now. We're separated." Separated. The word hit me like a bucket of cold water. No Lenny's laugh. No Mariya's gentle hands. No Roman. My legs trembled. "What do we do?" Trump's old eyes were calm. "We stay together. Fear is smaller when it's shared." **Chapter Four: The Dark Tunnel** "We have to go through the tunnel to reach the lagoon," Trump explained. "From the lagoon, there's a high point where the family will spot us. It's our best chance." I stared into the darkness. It stared back. My imagination painted monsters in every shadow—crocodiles with lantern eyes, snakes made of smoke. *I can't,* whispered the scared voice inside me. *I can't, I can't.* Then Kirusha did something surprising. He pressed his shoulder against mine. "Hey. Puggle. You shake worse than a leaf in a hurricane. But... I'll go first. I'll bark at anything scary. That's what I do. I bark at everything." "Even me?" I sniffled. "Especially you," he said, and I swear he almost smiled. Step by trembling step, we entered the tunnel. The darkness wrapped around us like a heavy blanket. I focused on Kirusha's barks ahead—sharp, brave, defiant—and on Trump's steady breathing behind me. "Tell me something true, Pete," Trump said gently. "Something that isn't fear." I thought hard. "Roman... Roman always finds me. Once I hid under the porch for an hour, and he never stopped looking. He said, 'Family doesn't give up.'" "Then hold onto that truth," Trump said. "Let it be your lantern." And somehow, it was. The dark didn't shrink, but my fear did. When we burst out into the light of the hidden lagoon, I felt taller, as if I had left something heavy behind in that tunnel. **Chapter Five: The Water Between Us** The lagoon shimmered green as emerald glass, just as Trump promised. But our joy lasted only a heartbeat. The tide had risen, and a wide channel of water now separated us from the high sandy point where we needed to go. "We have to swim," Kirusha said, and even he gulped. The water lapped at the shore, dark and unknowable. My oldest, deepest fear. I backed away, whining. "No. No, no, no. Water swallows dogs. I've seen it in my nightmares." Trump waded in up to his chest. "Pete, listen to an old dog. Water isn't a monster. It's just... the world, being wet. It will hold you up if you let it. Trust it. Trust us." "I can't!" I cried. My whole body shook. The water seemed to hiss my name. Kirusha paddled back to me, soaking wet, and looked me dead in the eye. "Pete. I called you scared. I was wrong. You walked through the dark. The dark, Pete! I bark at water bottles, but you—" he shook his head in wonder—"you're the bravest dog I know. Now swim. Right next to me. If you sink, I'll bite the water until it lets you go." A laugh bubbled out of me through my tears. I thought of Roman's hand on my back. *Family doesn't give up.* I took one step. The water was cool, not cruel. Another step. It lifted my paws. And then—I was swimming! My legs paddled all on their own, like they had known the secret all along and were just waiting for my heart to catch up. "I'm doing it!" I yelped. "Kirusha! Trump! I'm swimming!" **Chapter Six: Found** We scrambled onto the high point, dripping and triumphant, and I howled with joy at the sky. That's when I heard it—the most beautiful sound in the world. "PETE! PETE, BOY!" Roman came crashing through the palmettos, with Lenny and Mariya right behind. He dropped to his knees and I flew into his arms, licking his face a hundred times. "I was so scared, Roman! We got lost, and it was dark, and there was water, and—" "I know, buddy, I know," Roman whispered, hugging me tight. "We followed your paw prints. I told Mom and Dad, 'Pete's smart. He'll head for high ground.' I never stopped looking. I never will." Mariya wrapped us all in her arms, laughing and crying at once. "Oh, my brave boy!" Lenny scratched Kirusha's ears, then Trump's. "And who are these heroes?" Kirusha, for once, didn't bark. He just leaned into Lenny's hand, tail thumping. **Chapter Seven: Reflections at Sunset** We sat together on the beach as the sun melted into the bay like a scoop of orange sherbet. Kirusha's family had been found too, and Trump dozed contentedly at Lenny's feet. "Pete," Mariya said softly, "what did you learn today?" I thought about it, watching the waves I no longer feared roll gently in. "I learned that fear is like a shadow. It looks huge, but it can't actually hold you. And courage isn't not being scared—it's being scared and walking anyway. Especially when your friends walk with you." Kirusha bumped my shoulder. "You're not so bad, Puggle. For a dog who sings to his food bowl." "And you're not so bad for a dog who barks at his own reflection," I shot back, and everyone laughed. Roman ruffled my fur. "You know what I saw today? My little brother became an adventurer. The dark, the water, being lost—you faced all of it." "I had help," I said. "That's the secret, I think. Nobody is brave all by themselves." **Chapter Eight: Home Is Where the Heart Is** On the drive home, I curled between Roman and the window, Kirusha's promise of "same trail next week, Puggle!" still ringing in my ears. Lenny glanced back at me in the mirror. "So, Pete. Best day ever, or worst day ever?" "Both," I said wisely. "That's what makes it an adventure." Mariya smiled. "The preserve gave us more than a walk today. It gave us a story." And what a story it was—of a dark tunnel walked paw by paw, of water that turned from monster to friend, of a rival who became a brother, and of a family whose love was the lantern that lit every shadow. As I drifted to sleep, safe and warm, I understood the truest thing of all: courage grows when it is shared, fears shrink when they are faced, and family—whether by blood or by trail—is the tide that always, always brings you home. *** The End ***
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment