Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Shell Creek Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T11:18:44.514049200

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Shell Creek Park Adventure ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Road to Shell Creek** The morning sun spilled gold across the dashboard as our family van rumbled down the winding road, and I—Pete the Puggle—sat pressed against the window, my velvety white fur glowing like fresh snow in the light. My nose left little foggy circles on the glass as I watched the world blur by. "Look at him," Lenny chuckled from the driver's seat, catching my eye in the mirror. "Pete, you're going to wear that window out before we even get there. Why did the dog sit in the shade? Because he didn't want to be a hot dog!" "Dad, that joke is older than the van," Roman groaned, but he was grinning, scratching behind my ears the way only he could. Mariya turned from the passenger seat, her eyes twinkling. "Shell Creek Park is supposed to be magical this time of year. Wildflowers everywhere, and the creek sings—literally sings, Pete, if you listen closely enough." I wagged my tail, but a knot tightened in my belly. Creek. Water. I had seen pictures of it—wide, dark, moving water that swallowed light. My paws tingled with a fear I couldn't name, like tiny ants marching under my skin. "You'll love it, buddy," Roman whispered, sensing my unease the way he always did. "And guess who's meeting us there? Charles Bronson!" "The action star? Dad's old friend?" I barked in surprise. "The very same," Lenny nodded. "Eighty-something years old and still quicker than a cat on a hot stove. He's bringing his dog too—a husky named Trump. Loudest howl west of the Mississippi, they say." I pressed my nose back to the glass, my heart a drumbeat of excitement and worry, and watched the trees grow taller and greener as Shell Creek Park rose to meet us. **Chapter Two: Old Friends and New** The park exploded around us in color—emerald grass, wildflowers like scattered jewels, and the creek glinting silver through the trees like a ribbon of liquid glass. My fear of it prickled again, cold and sharp. Then a voice boomed across the parking lot like thunder wrapped in gravel. "Lenny! You old rascal!" Charles Bronson strode toward us, silver-haired and lean as a whip, moving with the easy agility of a man half his age. Beside him trotted a magnificent husky with ice-blue eyes and a proud, plumed tail. "Charles!" Lenny laughed, clasping his friend's hand. "Still carrying that walking stick?" "Walking stick?" Charles winked, twisting it to reveal a hidden compass and a coiled length of climbing rope. "This, my friend, is a survival instrument. Never leave home without it." The husky circled me once, sniffing. "So you're Pete," he said, his voice deep and rumbling. "Name's Trump. Best howler in three counties. Wanna hear?" "Maybe later," I said, glancing nervously at the creek. "Is the water... deep?" Trump's ears perked. "Deep enough to swim, shallow enough to stand. Why? You scared?" "I'm not scared," I lied, my tail betraying me by tucking low. Mariya knelt beside me, her hand warm on my head. "Pete, darling, fear is just love wearing a disguise. You love being safe. But today, we'll show you that bravery and safety can hold hands." Roman slung his backpack over his shoulder. "Come on, you two. Charles knows a trail that leads to a hidden waterfall. Race you!" And with that, our adventure truly began—paws and boots pounding down the sun-dappled trail, the creek whispering beside us like it was telling secrets I wasn't yet brave enough to hear. **Chapter Three: The Whispering Trail** The trail wound deeper into the woods, where the light turned green and golden, filtering through leaves like light through church windows. Birds called back and forth overhead, and the air smelled of pine, earth, and possibility. "Stay close now," Charles called over his shoulder, his stick tapping the ground with rhythmic certainty. "These woods have a way of playing tricks on wanderers." "I heard that," Trump murmured to me, his blue eyes gleaming. "He says that every time. Last summer a squirrel stole his sandwich right out of his hand." "I heard THAT too," Charles said without turning around, and we all burst into laughter. But as we walked, the creek widened beside us, and soon we reached a place where the trail crossed it—nothing but a line of slick, mossy stepping stones over rushing, chuckling water. My legs locked. My breath came shallow. The water sounded like a thousand hungry voices. "I can't," I whimpered, backing away. "It's too fast. It's too dark underneath. What if I fall? What if it takes me?" Roman knelt in front of me, his eyes steady and warm. "Pete. Look at me. Not at the water—at me. You remember when you were scared of the vacuum cleaner? And the thunder?" I nodded, trembling. "You beat those. One step at a time. I'll cross first, and I'll be waiting on the other side. Lenny will be right behind you. You will not fall. We don't let family fall." "That's right, pup," Charles said, planting his stick firmly. "Courage isn't the absence of fear. It's walking with fear as your companion and refusing to let it choose your path." Roman crossed the stones with easy leaps, then turned, arms open. "Your turn, Pete! One stone at a time!" **Chapter Four: One Stone at a Time** My paws touched the first stone, and it wobbled. The water rushed beneath me, and my mind screamed every terrible thing that could happen. But Roman's voice cut through the roar like a lighthouse beam through fog. "Eyes on me, Pete! Not the water—ME!" I fixed my gaze on my brother's face and stepped. Then stepped again. The stones were slick, my claws scrabbled, and halfway across my back paw slipped into the cold shock of the creek. I yelped—but Lenny's hand was instantly there, steadying my scruff, warm and strong. "Easy, son. I've got you. I've always got you." With my family anchoring me like roots anchor a tree, I made the final leap into Roman's arms, and he spun me around, laughing. "YOU DID IT! Pete, you absolute champion!" Trump howled in celebration, a sound so grand it scared three crows out of a tree. "That's my friend! The bravest puggle in the park!" Mariya clapped from the far bank, then crossed gracefully herself. "You see, Pete? The water didn't want to hurt you. It was just saying hello the only way it knows how." My chest swelled with something bright and new. The fear was still there—but smaller now, like a barking dog behind a fence. I had crossed the creek. Me. "Onward!" Charles declared, pointing his stick toward a distant roar. "The waterfall awaits!" But in our celebration, none of us noticed the trail fork ahead—or that Trump and I, chasing a brilliant blue butterfly, had bounded down the wrong path. **Chapter Five: Lost in the Green Cathedral** By the time Trump and I stopped chasing the butterfly, the forest had gone very, very quiet. Too quiet. The roar of the waterfall was gone. The voices of my family were gone. Only the wind moved through the trees like a long, slow sigh. "Trump?" I said, my voice small. "Which way did we come?" The big husky turned in a slow circle, sniffing. His ears drooped. "I... don't know. The trails all smell the same here. Pine and mud and deer." Panic rose in me like floodwater. Separated. Alone. My worst fear, the one that visited me in nightmares where I wandered an empty house calling for a family that never answered. My legs shook. My vision blurred. "Pete. Pete, look at me." Trump's deep voice was gentle but firm. "Your brother crossed that creek for you today. Do you think he's going to stop looking for you now? Never. So we don't panic. We think." "But it's getting darker," I whispered. The sun was sinking, and the shadows between the trees grew long and grasping like fingers. My fear of the dark curled around my fear of being lost, and together they were almost too big to carry. Trump nudged me with his broad head. "Then let's make our own light. Howl with me, Pete. Howl so loud the stars come early to listen." I lifted my snout to the darkening sky, and together we howled—Trump's deep thunder and my reedy, trembling note braiding together into one sound, one message: We are here. We are here. Come find us. **Chapter Six: The Dark and the Den** Night fell faster than we expected, swallowing the forest whole. We found shelter beneath a rocky overhang, and the darkness pressed in around us, thick as velvet, full of rustles and glowing eyes that turned out—mostly—to be fireflies. "Every shadow is a monster," I whispered, pressed against Trump's warm flank. "Every sound is something coming." "You know what I learned from Charles?" Trump said, his voice a low rumble in the dark. "The dark is just the world with its eyes closed. Everything you loved in the daylight is still here. The trees. The creek. The path home. Darkness doesn't erase things, Pete. It just asks you to remember them." I breathed slowly and looked—really looked. The fireflies drifted like tiny fallen stars. The moon rose, silvering the leaves. An owl called, soft and questioning, and somewhere the creek still sang its endless song. "You're right," I said slowly, wonder pushing back the fear. "It's... almost beautiful. The dark was never the enemy. My imagination was the enemy, painting monsters on empty walls." Then—a sound. Crashing through the underbrush. Heavy, fast, coming closer. Trump rose, hackles up, a growl building in his chest. Then a voice—my favorite voice in the whole world—shouted: "PETE! TRUMP!" "ROMAN!" I exploded from the den like a furry rocket, and my brother caught me mid-leap, burying his face in my fur. Behind him came Lenny with a flashlight, Mariya with tears of relief, and Charles Bronson, who had tracked us through the dark woods with nothing but his stick, his instincts, and seventy years of action-movie experience. "Followed your howls," Charles said, tipping an imaginary hat. "Fine singing, by the way." **Chapter Seven: The Waterfall at Moonrise** "Before we head back," Charles said with a mischievous glint, "there's something you all need to see. It's only a hundred yards more." He led us through the trees, and suddenly the forest opened—and there it was. The hidden waterfall, pouring down black rocks in the moonlight, glowing silver like a curtain of falling stars. The pool at its base shimmered, calm and clear, reflecting the whole sky. "Oh," Mariya breathed. "Oh, it's magic." I stared at the water. The old fear stirred—but it was small now, a whisper instead of a scream. I thought of the stepping stones. Of Roman's open arms. Of the dark that turned out to be full of fireflies. "Roman," I said quietly, "will you come in with me?" My brother grinned, kicked off his shoes, and waded into the moonlit pool. "Always, buddy." I put one paw in. Then another. The water was cool and gentle, and it held me—it actually held me. I paddled in a wobbly circle while my family cheered from the shore and Trump howled at the moon and Charles Bronson laughed like a man who had seen a thousand adventures and still loved every new one. "I'm swimming," I whispered to the night. "I'm actually swimming." **Chapter Eight: The Long Way Home** Around a crackling campfire at the trailhead, we feasted on sandwiches and roasted marshmallows, and the night wrapped around us like a warm blanket instead of a threat. "So, Pete," Lenny said, poking the fire with a stick. "What did we learn today? Besides the fact that Charles still can't keep track of his sandwiches." "That squirrel was a professional," Charles said solemnly, and everyone laughed. I thought hard, my chin resting on Roman's knee. "I learned that fear doesn't go away because someone tells it to. It goes away when you walk through it with people who love you. The water, the dark, being lost—I beat them all, but I never beat them alone." "That's the truest thing anyone's said all day," Mariya said softly, pulling me close. Trump stretched by the fire. "And I learned that puggles howl surprisingly well for their size." Roman hugged me tight. "And I learned that my little brother is the bravest dog I know." As we piled into the van, sleepy and smelling of campfire smoke, I looked back at the dark, singing woods of Shell Creek Park and felt only gratitude. Courage, I realized, is not a gift you're born with—it's a bridge you build, stone by stone, with the help of every hand and paw that loves you. And family is the ground on both sides of every river you'll ever cross. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight *** 2026-10-02T11:16:36.091009400

"*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight ***"🐾 ...