Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** The Day Pete Learned to Swim with the Stars *** 2026-10-01T13:36:38.885436400

"*** The Day Pete Learned to Swim with the Stars ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Road to Cammanns Pond** The morning sun spilled gold across the kitchen floor as I, Pete the Puggle, bounded from paw to paw with my tail wagging like a windshield wiper in a rainstorm. "Is it today? Is it really today?" I yipped, spinning in circles around Lenny's feet. Lenny laughed his big warm laugh, the one that rumbled like a happy thunderstorm. "Easy there, Pete! Yes, today we go to Cammanns Pond County Park. Pack your bravest face!" Mariya knelt down and scratched behind my ears. "They say the pond there is magical, Pete. Dragonflies like tiny helicopters, turtles sunbathing on logs, and water so clear you can see the fish thinking their fishy thoughts." My tail slowed. Water. The word landed in my belly like a cold stone. "Fishy... thoughts?" I gulped. Roman, my older brother and best friend, slung his backpack over one shoulder and grinned at me. "Don't worry, little buddy. I've got your back. I always do." But as we piled into the car, my heart fluttered like a moth trapped in a jar. I pressed my nose to the window and whispered to myself, "It's just water, Pete. Just... a whole pond of it. A whole enormous, deep, dark pond of it." I thought of how water had always frightened me—the way it swallowed sounds, the way it hid its bottom, the way it moved like something alive and breathing. Lenny caught my eye in the rearview mirror and winked. "You know, Pete, courage isn't the absence of fear. It's fear that has said its prayers—and packed a snack." I managed a small smile, but inside, the moth kept fluttering. **Chapter Two: Arrival and a Mysterious Stranger** Cammanns Pond County Park unfurled before us like a green quilt stitched with silver threads of water. Tall trees whispered secrets to the breeze, and the pond itself glittered in the distance—beautiful, yes, but to my eyes, vast and unknowable, like a piece of the sky that had fallen and forgotten how to float back up. "Smell that air!" Mariya breathed, twirling with her arms out. "It smells like grass and sunshine and possibility!" "It smells like hot dogs from that stand over there," Roman corrected, sniffing dramatically. "Possibly the greatest smell known to science." We spread our blanket under an old oak, and that's when I saw her. At the edge of the tree line stood a dog unlike any I had ever met—sleek, with fur that seemed to shimmer faintly even in daylight, and eyes that held entire galaxies. She trotted toward me, calm and regal. "Hello, Pete," she said, and her voice sounded like starlight feels. "My name is Laika. I have traveled very far to meet you." I blinked. "Have we... met before?" "In a manner of speaking. I went into space in 1957. I slipped through the fabric of time itself, and now I appear where courage is needed most." She sat beside me, and warmth radiated from her like a campfire. "Today, little one, you will need courage in three shapes: water, darkness, and loneliness. I have come to help you face all three." My ears drooped. "Three? Couldn't it be just one? Or maybe zero? Zero is a nice round number." Laika's eyes twinkled. "Zero is the number of fears you will carry home tonight, if you trust yourself." **Chapter Three: Bruce Lee and the First Trial** We were tossing a frisbee near the shore when a familiar figure strolled down the path, moving with the fluid grace of water itself—though I tried not to think about water just then. "Bruce Lee!" Roman shouted, running to greet him. "You made it!" Bruce smiled and bowed slightly. "A friend of the family is family. Besides," he said, looking at me with kind, penetrating eyes, "I heard a certain puggle might need a lesson in bravery today." I shuffled my paws. "I'm not brave. I'm mostly made of wiggles and worry." Bruce crouched to my level. "Pete, do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one. Fear is like a shadow—it looks enormous, but it is made of nothing. Watch." He rose, faced a thick branch lying on the ground, and with a swift, precise movement, snapped it cleanly in two. "The branch was real. My doubt about the branch would have been nothing. Yet doubt stops more heroes than branches ever do." Lenny nodded thoughtfully. "That's good. I'm going to pretend I said that at dinner tonight." "You will not," Mariya laughed. "I absolutely will, with confidence and zero credit given." As the afternoon deepened, Roman tossed the frisbee and it sailed—splat—into the shallow edge of the pond. My heart stopped. "I'll get it," Roman said, but I blurted, "No! It's my frisbee." I crept toward the water's edge. The pond lapped at the shore like a giant licking its lips. My legs trembled. Laika appeared beside me silently. "One paw," she whispered. "Only one paw." I placed one paw into the water. It was cool, not cold. It did not bite. "Look at that," Roman said softly behind me. "Pete the Puddle-Splasher." I laughed—a real laugh—and something inside me loosened, like a knot untying itself. **Chapter Four: Swept into Adventure** Of course, adventure rarely knocks politely. As I waded a little deeper, chasing the drifting frisbee, a sudden gust of wind pushed it farther out, and I paddled—actually paddled—after it without thinking. "Pete, that's far enough!" Lenny called. But then something strange happened. A shimmering ripple spread across the pond, and Laika's head snapped up. "A time current! Pete, come back—" The water glowed, and in a heartbeat, Laika and I were swept not across the pond, but through something—a tunnel of light and rushing sound, like being inside a shooting star. We tumbled out into the reeds on the far, wild side of the park, where the trees grew thick and the sky was beginning to bruise purple with evening. I shook myself, gasping. "Laika! Where are we? Where's Roman? Where's my family?" "Across the pond. The current scattered us." Her voice was steady, but I saw worry flicker in her cosmic eyes. "And night is coming, Pete." The word *night* crawled down my spine. Water was one fear. Darkness was another, deeper one—darkness where shapes became monsters and every rustle was a tooth. And worst of all, the third fear: being alone, separated from my family, like a single note cut off from its song. "Stay close to me," Laika said. "And listen. Your family is searching. Love like yours makes noise across any distance." **Chapter Five: The Dark Woods** The woods swallowed us. Shadows pooled between the trees like spilled ink, and my imagination, that traitorous artist, painted eyes in every hollow. "Laika," I whispered, "I don't like the dark. The dark is where my fears go to lift weights." She chuckled softly. "In space, Pete, I floated in darkness deeper than any night on Earth. At first I was terrified. Then I noticed something—the darkness was full of stars. Darkness is not empty. It is simply light we haven't reached yet." We padded onward, and suddenly shapes lunged from the underbrush—raccoons, but in the gloom they seemed enormous, masked and hissing, cornered and frightened themselves. I froze. Then—whap!—a figure dropped from a low branch, landing between us with perfect balance. "Bruce Lee!" I cried. "I followed the shimmer," he said calmly. "Now, friends," he addressed the raccoons, hands open and peaceful, "we mean no harm. Be like water—flow around us." The raccoons, perhaps sensing his unshakable calm, scattered into the night. Bruce turned to me. "Fear met with peace dissolves, Pete. Fear met with fear only grows teeth." I nodded, trembling, and realized something astonishing: even here, in the dark, separated from my family, I was still walking. Still moving forward. "I'm doing it," I murmured. "I'm scared out of my fur, and I'm doing it anyway." "That," said Laika, "is the only kind of courage that exists." **Chapter Six: The Heart of the Pond** To return home, we had to cross the pond itself—the long way was blocked by brambles too thick even for Bruce. I stared at the black water, gleaming under the rising moon like a sheet of dark glass, and every old fear roared at once. "I can't," I whispered. "It's deep. It's dark. It's everything I'm afraid of, wearing a costume of everything else I'm afraid of." Bruce sat beside me on the bank. "Pete, when I was young, I was afraid too. Everyone is. The man who says he fears nothing has simply never looked inside himself with the lights on." Laika pressed against my side. "I will swim beside you. I have crossed the void between stars. This pond is a puddle compared to that." I closed my eyes and thought of Lenny's laugh, Mariya's twirling joy, Roman's steady "I've got your back." Love, I realized, is not a rope that holds you back from scary things—it is a bridge that carries you across them. "Okay," I said, and my voice shook but held. "Okay. Let's swim home." The water closed over me, cold and shocking, and for one terrible second I panicked—then Laika was there on my left, Bruce gliding like an eel on my right, and my legs found their rhythm. Paddle, breathe, paddle, breathe. The dark water did not swallow me. It held me up. It had been holding me up all along; I had just never given it the chance. Halfway across, I laughed out loud, water in my ears, stars overhead, fear dissolving behind me like sugar in rain. **Chapter Seven: Found** On the far shore, a flashlight beam cut through the night, and a voice—cracked with worry, hoarse from calling—shouted, "PETE!" "ROMAN!" I burst from the water like a furry torpedo and collided with my brother, who fell backward into the grass, hugging me so tight I squeaked. "You soggy little maniac!" he laughed, and I felt tears warm on his cheek. "I ran around the whole pond. I kept thinking—what if he's scared, what if he's alone—" "I was," I admitted. "But then I wasn't. Laika came. Bruce came. And the water, Roman—the water held me up!" Lenny and Mariya crashed through the reeds a moment later, and then it was all arms and fur and laughter and Mariya crying happy tears and Lenny saying, "I was never worried," in the wobbliest voice imaginable. "You were terrified," Mariya said. "I was terrified," Lenny agreed instantly. "But look at him. Look at our boy." Bruce bowed to the family. "He crossed the dark water himself. I only witnessed it." Laika stood a little apart, her fur glowing faintly in the moonlight. "My work here is done, Pete. When fear returns—and it will, for fear always knocks again—remember this night. Remember that you are the dog who swam the dark pond." "Will I see you again?" I asked. "Every time you choose courage, I am there." And like a star going out in reverse, she shimmered, smiled, and was gone, leaving only a single sparkle drifting down like snow. **Chapter Eight: Reflections by Firelight** Back at our blanket, Lenny built a small campfire in the park's fire ring, and we huddled together—Dad, Mom, Roman, Bruce, and one very damp, very tired, very changed puggle. The flames painted our faces amber, and above us the stars came out in thousands, Laika's old neighborhood. "So," Lenny said, poking the fire, "what did we learn today, besides the fact that Pete apparently has secret torpedo powers?" I thought hard, watching the sparks rise. "I learned that fear is a liar. It told me the water would swallow me, but the water held me up. It told me the dark was full of monsters, but the dark was full of stars. And it told me that being separated from you would break me—but love found me anyway. Love always finds a way." Mariya pulled me close. "That's the truest magic I know, sweetheart." Roman bumped my shoulder. "I learned that my little brother is braver than half the grown-ups I know." Bruce smiled into the fire. "And I was reminded that the greatest victory is not over an enemy, but over oneself. Pete won that victory today." As we packed up to leave, I looked back at the pond one last time—calm now, silver, friendly. "Thank you," I whispered to it, and to the stars, and to a cosmic dog somewhere out there in the fabric of time. Then I trotted to the car, curled between Roman and Mariya, and fell asleep before we even left the parking lot, dreaming of swimming through starlight, unafraid. *And so Pete learned that courage is not the absence of fear but the decision that love matters more; that the things we dread often hold us up once we dare to enter them; and that family—whether bound by blood, friendship, or stardust—is a light no darkness can ever truly put out.* *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Puggle Who Conquered the Creek: A Massapequa Preserve Adventure *** 2026-10-01T14:30:34.291559100

"*** The Puggle Who Conquered the Creek: A Massapequa Preserve Adventure ***"🐾 ...