Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Golden Gardens of Old Westbury *** 2026-10-01T13:31:00.613908500

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Golden Gardens of Old Westbury ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Morning of Great Beginnings** The sun poured through the kitchen window like melted honey, and I, Pete the Puggle, knew in my whiskers that something magnificent was about to happen. My white fur practically sparkled as I spun in circles around Roman's sneakers, my tail wagging so hard my whole body wiggled like a wobbly jelly. "Easy there, Pete!" Roman laughed, scooping me up. "You're going to wag yourself into orbit before we even leave." "Old Westbury Gardens," Mariya said, twirling a strand of hair as she packed the picnic basket with the curiosity of a scientist preparing an expedition. "Did you know the mansion there is over a hundred years old? Imagine the stories those walls could tell. Imagine the stories the *gardens* could tell!" "The only story I want to hear," Lenny announced, hoisting the cooler onto his shoulder, "is the one about the dad who remembered to bring the sandwiches. And that dad, my friends, is me." He winked at me, and I barked approvingly. Dad's jokes were silly, but they wrapped around you like a warm blanket. I should have been nothing but excited. But as we piled into the car, a small shadow crept into my chest. I had heard Roman mention a pond. A *pond*. Water. My paws trembled just thinking about it. Water was my oldest enemy—deep, shiny, and mysterious, hiding who-knows-what beneath its surface. I pressed against Roman's side in the backseat. "You okay, buddy?" Roman whispered, scratching behind my ears. I wanted to tell him about the fear fluttering in my belly like a trapped moth. Instead, I just sighed and watched the world blur past the window, wondering if brave dogs ever got scared. Because I, Pete the Puggle, storyteller and adventurer, was scared more often than I liked to admit. **Chapter Two: Through the Gates of Wonder** The moment we passed through the gates of Old Westbury Gardens, I forgot my worries entirely. The world exploded into color—tulips stood in rows like soldiers wearing crimson and gold, and the great mansion rose before us like a castle from one of my bedtime stories, all brick and ivy and secrets. "Whoa," Roman breathed, and for once even he was speechless. "Look at the linden trees," Mariya said softly, tilting her head back. "They're like green cathedrals. Pete, do you see how the light falls through the leaves? That's magic, the ordinary kind that's actually extraordinary." I sniffed the air—grass, roses, old stone, and something else. Something *dog*. My ears perked up like satellite dishes. "Stay close, everyone," Lenny said, unfolding the map. "The gardens are two hundred acres. That's big enough to lose a puggle in." "Nobody's losing anybody," Roman said, clipping on my leash and giving me a protective pat. "Right, Pete?" That's when I saw him. Standing proudly on the stone path like a tiny lion was a long-haired Chihuahua, his golden coat flowing in the breeze, his chest puffed out like a general inspecting his troops. "Well, well," the little dog declared, strutting over. "A newcomer. I am Timmy, brave and mighty guardian of these gardens. And you are?" "P-Pete," I stammered. "Pete the Puggle. Storyteller. Adventurer. Mostly storyteller." Timmy circled me once, his dark eyes gleaming. "A storyteller! Excellent. This garden is *full* of stories—if you're brave enough to find them." His gaze flicked toward a distant shimmer of water, and my stomach dropped like a stone down a well. **Chapter Three: Timmy's Tour and the Whispering Water** Timmy became our guide, trotting ahead with the confidence of a dog who owned the wind itself. His owners, he explained, visited every weekend, and he knew every hedge, every statue, every secret corner. "Over there is the Walled Garden," Timmy announced, "where the roses bloom so thick you can smell them from a mile away. And beyond that—the pond. The crown jewel of Westbury." "The pond," I repeated weakly, my paws suddenly feeling glued to the path. Roman noticed. He always noticed. "Pete's not a big fan of water," he told Timmy gently. Timmy stopped and turned, and instead of laughing—oh, how I feared he would laugh—he sat down beside me. "You know what, Pete? When I first came here, I was terrified of the dark under the hedges. Absolutely terrified. My legs shook like leaves in a storm." "You? Brave and mighty Timmy?" I gasped. "Brave and mighty doesn't mean fearless," Timmy said wisely. "It means scared and going anyway." Mariya knelt beside us, her eyes twinkling. "That's the truest thing anyone's said all day. Fear isn't the enemy, Pete. It's just a door you haven't opened yet." We wandered past flowerbeds that looked like spilled rainbows, and Lenny pointed at a statue of a lion. "That lion's been standing there for decades," he said. "Must be *lion* around with nothing to do." Roman groaned, Mariya giggled, and I barked with laughter despite myself. But then we crested a small hill, and there it was—the pond, vast and glittering, its surface dancing with light like a thousand winking eyes. My breath caught. My heart hammered against my ribs like a drum. The water seemed to whisper my name, and every whisper said, *Stay away, little puggle. Stay away.* **Chapter Four: Lost in the Green Maze** It happened so fast. A squirrel—a plump, taunting, magnificent squirrel—darted across the path, and Timmy shot after it with a mighty battle cry of "GARDEN BUSINESS!" And I, forgetting everything, bolted after him, my leash slipping from Roman's distracted hand. "PETE!" Roman's voice cracked behind us, but the squirrel led us on a wild chase through the hedges, around fountains, under rose arches, until the squirrel vanished up a tree and Timmy and I skidded to a halt, panting. Then silence. Thick, green, enormous silence. "Timmy," I said slowly, looking around at the towering hedges surrounding us. "Where's the path? Where's my family?" Timmy's mighty posture sagged just a little. "I... hmm. The hedges look different from this side." We were lost. Truly lost. The hedges rose around us like green walls in a giant's maze, and the sky above seemed very far away. My worst fear—the one deeper than water, deeper than dark—wrapped its cold fingers around my heart: *being separated from my family forever*. My breath came in short, panicky puffs. What if Roman never found me? What if the garden swallowed me whole like a green sea? "Pete. PETE." Timmy pressed his small body against my trembling one. "Listen to me. Panic is a fog. It makes everything look bigger and scarier than it is. Your Roman is out there looking for you right now. I *know* it." "How do you know?" I whimpered. "Because I saw how he looks at you. Like you're his whole world on four legs. A love like that doesn't give up." Timmy lifted his chin. "So we won't give up either. We'll find high ground, listen for voices, and we'll do it together." I took a shaky breath. Together. The word was a small lantern in my dark fear. "Together," I agreed, and we pressed on into the maze. **Chapter Five: The Dark Under the Willows** The afternoon wore on, and shadows began to stretch across the garden like long purple fingers. To find the main path, Timmy said, we had to cross beneath the old weeping willows—a grove where the trailing branches hung so thick that almost no light slipped through. "It's dark in there," I whispered, my old fear of darkness rising like a tide. The dark had always seemed to me like a hungry thing, full of invisible eyes and waiting teeth. "It is," Timmy admitted. "Want to know a secret? I still don't love the dark. But I've learned the dark is just the light resting. Everything in there is the same as everything out here—it's just wearing a nightcap." I almost laughed. Almost. "Will you... will you talk to me the whole way through? So I know I'm not alone?" "Every single step," Timmy promised. We stepped beneath the willows, and darkness folded over us like a heavy curtain. My heart galloped. Every rustle was a monster; every creaking branch was a reaching hand. But Timmy talked—about his first visit to the gardens, about the time he barked at his own reflection for ten minutes, about how his humans sang silly songs in the car. His voice was a rope, and I held onto it with all my might. "You know what I realized?" I said softly, halfway through, my own voice steadier than I expected. "The dark can't actually *do* anything. All this time, I wasn't afraid of the dark. I was afraid of my own imagination." "Now *that*," Timmy said, "is the wisest thing I've heard all day, and I've heard myself talk a lot." We burst out the other side into the golden late-afternoon light, and I felt something shift inside me—a little door in my heart swinging open. I had walked through the dark, and the dark had not swallowed me. **Chapter Six: The Pond Between Us and Home** Then we heard it—faint but unmistakable. "PETE! TIMMY!" Roman's voice, carried on the wind, coming from beyond the pond. We raced to the water's edge, and there—far across the glittering expanse—I could see them: Roman running along the far bank, Lenny and Mariya hurrying behind him. But the near bank where we stood was cut off from them by a wide arm of the pond, and the long way around would take ages. "Roman!" I barked with all my might. "ROMAN!" He heard me. He pointed, shouted something to Lenny, and then I saw his face—even from across the water, I could see the fear and relief crashing together on it like waves. "Pete, the little bridge is just down the bank," Timmy said, "but to reach it we have to walk along the water's edge. Right along it." I looked at the water. It lapped at the bank, gentle but enormous, and my old terror roared awake. My legs turned to pudding. I remembered every nightmare of sinking, of cold wet darkness closing over my head. "I can't," I gasped. "Timmy, I can't." Across the pond, Roman cupped his hands around his mouth. "PETE! YOU CAN DO IT! I BELIEVE IN YOU, BUDDY! ONE PAW AT A TIME!" Lenny's voice boomed warm and steady: "Courage isn't the absence of fear, Pete—it's walking anyway!" Mariya called, "We're right here, sweetheart! We're not going anywhere!" Timmy pressed against my side. "I'll be with you the whole way. Your family is waiting. And you, Pete the Puggle, are braver than any pond." I thought of the dark under the willows. I had walked through that. I closed my eyes, took one breath, then another, and I put one trembling paw forward. Then another. The water whispered, but this time I whispered back: *You don't get to scare me anymore.* Step by step, paw by paw, with Timmy at my side and my family's voices lifting me like wings, I walked the water's edge. I even looked down at my reflection—a small white puggle with streaked eyes, looking back at me, looking *brave*. **Chapter Seven: The Reunion** The moment my paws touched the little wooden bridge, Roman came sprinting across it and swept me up into his arms, holding me so tight I could feel his heart pounding against mine. "Pete! Oh, Pete, I was so scared!" His voice wobbled, and I licked the tears right off his cheeks. "Don't you ever run off like that again!" "I'm sorry, Roman," I said. "The squirrel... and then we were lost, and I was so afraid I'd never see you again. That was the scariest part—not the dark, not the water. Being without you." "You were never without me," Roman said fiercely. "I was looking the whole time. I will *always* come find you. Always." Lenny wrapped us both in one of his enormous hugs. "There's my boy. There's my brave boy." Mariya gathered Timmy into the embrace too, and Timmy—mighty Timmy—didn't even pretend to mind. "You walked along the pond," Mariya marveled, her eyes shining. "Pete, do you understand what you did today? You faced the dark. You faced being lost. You faced the water. Three dragons in one afternoon." "I had help," I said, looking at Timmy. "A friend who talked me through the dark. A family whose voices carried me across the water. I learned that courage isn't something you have alone—it's something we lend each other, like borrowing a little fire when your own goes out." "And *you*," Roman told Timmy, scratching his golden ears, "are the mightiest Chihuahua in the entire world. Thank you for taking care of my best friend." **Chapter Eight: Lessons in the Golden Light** We ended the day on a checkered blanket near the Walled Garden as the sunset painted the sky in strokes of rose and amber. Timmy's humans joined ours, and the picnic stretched into a feast of sandwiches, laughter, and stories. "So," Lenny said, leaning back on his elbows, "what did we learn today? Besides the fact that squirrels cannot be trusted." I sat up tall, my storyteller's heart full to bursting. "I learned that fear is a door, like Mom said—and on the other side of it is the person you're meant to become. I was afraid of water, and now I've walked beside it. I was afraid of the dark, and now I know the dark is just the light resting. I was afraid of being lost, and now I know I'm never truly lost, because love always comes looking." "Beautifully said," Mariya murmured, wiping her eyes. Roman pulled me close. "I learned that being protective isn't about holding on tighter—it's about believing in you louder." Timmy raised his tiny head. "And I learned that even the mighty need friends. Guarding a garden is grand, but sharing it is grander." As the first stars blinked awake above the old mansion, I looked at my family—Lenny's warm smile, Mariya's wonder-filled eyes, Roman's arm around me—and at my new friend Timmy curled beside us. The garden had tested me with water, darkness, and loneliness, and I had answered with courage. Not the loud, roaring kind, but the quiet kind: one paw, one breath, one step at a time. And that, I decided as I drifted toward sleep, was the greatest story I had ever lived. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight *** 2026-10-02T11:16:36.091009400

"*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight ***"🐾 ...