Followers Woof Woof :)

Friday, October 2, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Brave Heart of Massapequa Community Park *** 2026-10-02T10:39:02.476589

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Brave Heart of Massapequa Community Park ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Leash of Morning Morning spilled over Massapequa like syrup over pancakes, gold and slow and sweet. I, Pete the Puggle, stood at the edge of our driveway with my white velvety fur fluffed by excitement and my makeup-streaked eyes wide as saucers. My tail wagged so hard it nearly unscrewed my hind legs. “Massapequa Community Park!” I barked. “Ponds! Trails! Picnic tables shaped like thrones! Possibly a squirrel parliament!” Lenny—Dad—knelt beside me, warm as toast, and clipped my leash with ceremonial seriousness. “Pete,” he said, “a hero’s journey begins with snacks, sunscreen, and admitting you’re scared before you’re brave.” Then he added, “Also, if a goose challenges you to a duel, walk away. Geese never fight fair.” Mariya—Mom—lifted her face to the light as if ordinary air were a secret song. “Look how the maples hold the breeze,” she murmured. “Even the park is practicing kindness.” She tucked a blue bandana around my neck. “For courage,” she whispered. Roman, my older brother and sometimes rival in the ancient sport of stick-claiming, bounced a tennis ball off his palm. “Try not to panic when you see water, drama pup.” He grinned, but his eyes were soft. “I’ve got you.” I wanted to believe him. Yet inside my chest, three shadows sat like toads: water, dark, and being lost. I licked Roman’s hand anyway. “I fear nothing,” I declared, which was a beautiful lie wearing a brave little hat. At the curb waited Charles Bronson, our family’s very old friend, silver-haired, straight-backed, famous from action movies and neighborhood legends. He carried a walking stick, a flashlight, a whistle, and an extendable grabber he called “Ol’ Persuader.” “Adventure,” he rumbled, “is just trouble that brought popcorn.” ## Chapter Two: The Park Opens Like a Book Massapequa Community Park greeted us with green applause. Lawns rolled bright as emeralds; the pond flashed coins of sunlight; grills sighed charcoal perfume; playgrounds creaked with laughter. Somewhere a radio argued with a mockingbird. Families dotted the picnic tables, and the baseball field lay chalk-lined like a giant’s notebook. “First rule,” Lenny announced, unpacking sandwiches, “we hydrate.” “Second rule,” Roman said, “we find the biggest hill and roll down until our souls unscramble.” “Third rule,” Mariya smiled, “we notice one magical thing before lunch.” I noticed everything: ants hauling crumbs like movers with tiny trucks; a red-winged blackbird wearing epaulettes; cottonwood fluff drifting as if clouds had shed pajamas. But the pond pulled my gaze with cold fingers. Ducks skimmed across it, easy as thoughts, while I felt my paws turn to stone. Roman nudged me. “Hey. Water’s just ground that learned to shine.” “Water,” I whispered, “is a mirror with teeth.” Charles Bronson lowered himself onto the bench with a creak like a drawbridge. “Fear’s a bad director, kid. It yells ‘cut!’ before the scene gets good.” He tapped Ol’ Persuader. “When I was young and pretending to be invincible on camera, I learned real stunts are ninety percent breathing.” A gust snatched Roman’s cap and sent it tumbling toward the reeds. “Mine!” he cried. I bolted before thinking, leash singing behind me, Mariya laughing, Lenny calling, “Not into the pond!” The cap spun near the muddy lip where dragonflies stitched blue sparks. I skidded, claws scraping dirt. One inch more and the shining teeth would touch my toes. Roman caught my harness. “Gotcha,” he said, breathless. “See? Even fear can’t outrun a brother.” My heart hammered, but the cap was safe in my mouth, and the pond had not eaten me. Not yet. ## Chapter Three: Charles Bronson and the Duckling Distress After lunch, the park grew louder with Saturday joy. A birthday balloon escaped and climbed like a red planet. We wandered toward the wooden dock where turtles stacked themselves on logs, prehistoric and unimpressed. Mariya knelt beside milkweed. “Monarchs come here,” she said. “Imagine trusting the wind with your whole life.” Then came a peep—thin as a thread pulled from a sweater. Near the dock’s shadow, a duckling had tangled in fishing line, fluttering in the shallows while its mother cried from deeper water. The pond glittered, innocent and cruel. I froze. My three toad-shadows woke: water lapping black, the dock dark beneath, the crowd suddenly huge. “I can’t,” I squeaked. “My legs are made of pudding.” Lenny put a hand on my head. “Then let your heart do the standing.” Mariya’s voice turned fierce-soft. “Magic is ordinary love moving fast.” Roman crouched at the dock edge. “Pete, look at me, not the water. One paw. Then another. I’ll be your bridge.” Charles Bronson moved before anyone answered. Old knees or not, he pivoted with movie-star agility, hooked the line gently with Ol’ Persuader, and tossed me the slack. “Hold, pup! Not tight—kind tight!” I clamped the line in my teeth while Roman lay flat, one hand locked on my harness, the other reaching. The first paw touched wood. The second trembled. The third believed. The fourth stepped onto the dock over shining water that did not bite. Together we lifted the duckling free; it peeped like a tiny trumpet and rocketed to its mother. Applause burst from strangers. I shook all over, but not only from fear. A door inside me had opened, and courage walked in wearing muddy boots. ## Chapter Four: The Kite, the Heron, and the Great Separation Victory made me bold, which is another way of saying foolish with confetti. When Roman launched a kite shaped like a comet, I chased its shadow across the field, barking, “I am the guardian of falling stars!” The kite dipped; I followed; a great blue heron rose from the reeds like a gray wizard offended by puggles. I veered after it into the trail beyond the pond, where trees folded the light into green pockets. “Pete!” Roman called, but wind stole the word and hid it under leaves. I ran until the park sounds thinned, until the path forked like a question I had not studied. The heron vanished. The kite string snapped somewhere behind me. Silence stepped closer, wearing moss. “Lenny?” I barked. “Mariya? Roman? Charles Bronson whose movies Grandma watches during thunderstorms?” Only cicadas answered, sawing the afternoon into strips. My bandana suddenly felt less like courage and more like a blue flag on a lost island. Then I heard a rustle. Out popped Charles Bronson, breathing hard but smiling, flashlight already in hand though it was day. “You run like a caffeinated marshmallow,” he said. “Good news: I found you. Bad news: we took the scenic route, and my knees are writing complaints.” Before relief could settle, thunder rolled though the sky wore only a bruise of cloud. The trail dimmed early under the trees. My second fear—the dark—leaned against my ribs. “I don’t like when light forgets us,” I admitted. Charles clicked the flashlight on, a small moon in his fist. “Then we remind it.” We pressed on, following his whistle signals—two short, one long—the family code. Somewhere far off, an answering whistle floated through the leaves like a rope thrown across a river. ## Chapter Five: Under the Dark Bridge The answering whistle led us to a low maintenance culvert where the path ducked beneath a service road. Rain had left a black ribbon of water inside, and the tunnel exhaled cool cellar breath. Above us, tires hissed like distant snakes. The entrance looked tiny, round, and hungry. Charles Bronson shone his flashlight into the throat of it. “Shortcut,” he said. “Or we go around and lose daylight.” I backed away. “Pete does not enter mouth-tunnels. Pete respects teeth.” “Pete,” Charles said gently, “I once jumped off a building for a movie while three cameras pretended not to be terrified. Know what scared me more? The quiet before jumping, when I thought nobody would catch me.” He sat on a stone as if pain were an old dog at his heels. “Courage isn’t being unafraid. It’s holding fear’s leash instead of letting it hold yours.” I listened to my own breathing, ragged as torn paper. Inside the tunnel, water dripped: plink, plink, like the dark counting me. I imagined never seeing Lenny’s silly mustache-smile, Mariya’s wonder-eyes, Roman’s hand on my harness. That imagination hurt worse than shadows. So I stepped forward until my whiskers touched damp air. “Talk to me,” I begged. Charles narrated softly: “Left wall rough. Right wall has graffiti that says TOMMY WAS HERE, though Tommy has questionable spelling. Floor dips. Stay high.” Halfway through, the flashlight flickered. Darkness slapped us both. I whimpered. Charles whistled the code—two short, one long—and from the far end came Roman’s answering call, bright as a struck match. I ran toward that sound, not away from blackness, and burst into evening light with my heart barking louder than my voice. ## Chapter Six: Storm Over the Picnic Kingdom The sky, which had pretended innocence, suddenly tore open. Rain fell in silver nails. Families scattered; napkins flew like startled doves; the baseball diamond turned to chocolate soup. Charles and I emerged near the far meadow just as lightning scribbled across the clouds. We were still separated from Lenny and Mariya, and the whistle code broke apart in wind. “Tree line!” Charles shouted. “Not under the tall one—beside it!” We hustled to a stand of oaks where roots made knuckles in the earth. He unclipped a compact tarp from his belt—because action stars and grandfathers share mysterious pockets—and rigged a lean-to with Ol’ Persuader and two branches. Rain drummed overhead like applause from a wet audience. I shivered, though not only from cold. “What if Roman never finds us? What if family is a place and I forgot the address?” The thought opened a trapdoor beneath my ribs, and all my bravery nearly fell through. Charles Bronson looked older in storm light, carved and kind. “When you love people,” he said, “you carry a map of them inside. Trouble is, fear draws fake borders on it.” He tapped my chest. “Your pack is in there, kid. Follow the ache; it points home.” A crack split the air—branch breaking near the creek path. Something large moved beyond the rain curtain. I growled, though my growl trembled. Charles lifted his walking stick, not to harm but to steady the world. “Easy,” he murmured. The shape stepped forward: Roman, soaked to the bone, hair plastered down, eyes wild until they found me. “Pete!” he cried, and the storm lost half its power. ## Chapter Seven: Roman’s Light and the Water Crossing Roman hugged me so hard my ears popped. “I followed the whistle, then your pawprints, then the world’s most dramatic fur tuft on a thorn.” He laughed into my neck. “You shed like a haunted pillow.” Relief tasted better than bacon. But the creek between us and the main field had swollen into a brown, hurrying animal. Rain softened the banks; stepping stones hid under foam. Across it, faint through sheets of water, Lenny’s whistle and Mariya’s voice called our names. Charles tested the current with his stick. “Too strong for knees, too wide for puggle.” Roman scanned left and right. “There,” he pointed: a fallen branch spanning the creek, slick as a seal. “I’ll cross first and anchor it. Pete, you walk slow. Charles, you’re ballast.” The old fear of water rose roaring. It showed me pictures: slipping, sinking, the creek closing over my nose, family shrinking to dots. My body said no in every language bones speak. Roman gripped my shoulders. “Look at me. Not the water. Remember the dock? One paw. Then another.” Mariya’s distant voice floated through rain: “Magic is ordinary love moving fast!” Lenny bellowed, “And snacks are waiting!” I put one paw on the branch. Bark bit my pads. Rain needled my back. Charles braced behind with the stick across the gap like a rail; Roman stretched from the far side, hand open. “Come home, Pete,” he said. I crossed the shining teeth. Halfway, I slipped; Roman caught my harness; Charles anchored the branch; I found footing where panic said none existed. On the far bank I collapsed into Roman’s arms, soaked, shaking, and changed. ## Chapter Eight: The Reunion Under Clearing Skies The storm ended as suddenly as a tantrum, leaving washed light and diamonds on every leaf. We rounded the field and there they were—Lenny with a muddy towel held like a royal robe, Mariya running with her arms already open before her feet arrived. I crashed into them, into smell of soap and rain and home. Lenny wrapped me up; Mariya kissed my forehead; Roman kept one hand on my back as if making sure I stayed real. Charles Bronson accepted a thermos of cocoa with a bow. “All in a day’s retirement,” he said, though his eyes shone wetter than weather. We sat beneath a maple as the sun broke through, turning puddles into fallen skies. Lenny said, “Today had more plot than I packed for.” Mariya smiled. “The pond gave us fear, the tunnel gave us dark, the storm gave us separation—and each gave back a gift.” Roman bumped my shoulder. “You crossed water, Pete. You crossed dark. You got found because you kept listening for love.” I thought of the duckling’s threadlike peep, the flashlight’s small moon, the branch over the brown creek, the hand that always reached. “I used to think brave meant big,” I said. “Now I think brave means wet and shaking and still stepping.” Charles nodded. “And family means somebody whistles in the dark until you answer.” We laughed as the park exhaled around us, ordinary and enchanted. Morals settled quietly like birds: courage is love with muddy paws; fear can guide without ruling; no one is lost while someone keeps calling. Together we walked home under a rinsed-blue sky, four humans, one old hero, and Pete the Puggle—small, shining, and brave enough to be afraid. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 *** 2026-10-02T22:38:59.520435700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lanterns of Pier 44 ***"🐾 ...