Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Milbourn Creek Adventure *** 2026-10-01T11:14:39.713644700

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great Milbourn Creek Adventure ***"🐾

## Chapter One: The Open Road The morning sun spilled across the kitchen floor like melted honey, and I—Pete the Puggle, the bravest puppy in the whole world (most of the time)—spun in circles around my food bowl with excitement. "Milbourn Creek Park!" I barked, my tail wagging so hard my whole backside wiggled. "Are we really going today?" Lenny, my dad, laughed his big warm laugh and scratched behind my ears. "We sure are, little buddy. Pack your courage—we're going to need it." He winked at Roman. "And maybe your swimsuit." My ears drooped at that word. Water. I pretended not to hear. Mariya knelt down beside me, her eyes twinkling the way they always did when she saw magic in an ordinary day. "Pete, the creek there is famous. They say the water sings when the wind blows through the willows." She pressed her nose to mine. "And who knows what friends we'll meet?" Roman, my older brother and best friend (and occasional rival for the best sunbeam spots), scooped me up. "I'll teach you to splash, Pete. I promise it'll be fun." "Fun," I repeated, but my voice came out small, like a squeaky toy with the squeak worn out. Inside my chest, my heart fluttered like a moth trapped in a jar. Water was deep. Water was cold. Water swallowed paws whole. But I was Pete the Puggle, adventurer extraordinaire! I lifted my chin. "Let's go!" The car ride was a symphony of smells—Lenny's coffee, Mariya's lavender hand cream, Roman's sneakers (which I loved and no one else did). I pressed my nose to the window and watched the world blur by, telling myself that today would be grand. Today, nothing would scare me. I almost believed it. ## Chapter Two: Arrival at the Singing Creek Milbourn Creek Park rose before us like something out of a dream—towering willows trailing their green fingers into a ribbon of silver water, wildflowers nodding in drifts of purple and gold, and a wooden bridge arching over the creek like the back of a sleeping dragon. "Whoa," Roman breathed. "It's even better than the pictures." I hopped out of the car and froze. The creek chuckled and gurgled, and to my ears it sounded less like singing and more like... laughing. At me. "Come on, Pete!" Roman called, already racing toward the water's edge. My paws rooted themselves to the grass. "I'll—I'll guard the picnic basket! Very important job!" Lenny chuckled. "The bravest guard I know." Then something extraordinary happened. A figure emerged from behind the willows—tall, with a magnificent curling mustache, a jacket covered in medals and strange buttons, and eyes that sparkled like stars having a party. "BARON MUNCHAUSEN!" Mariya cried, clapping her hands. "You old rascal! We haven't seen you in ages!" "Mariya! Lenny! Young Roman!" The Baron swept his hat off in a bow so deep his mustache brushed the grass. Then his gaze landed on me, and he knelt down. "And this must be the legendary Pete the Puggle. I've heard tales of your courage across seven kingdoms." "My... courage?" I gulped, glancing at the creek. "Courage," the Baron said wisely, "is not the absence of fear, young pup. It is fear that has said its prayers and gone adventuring anyway." He leaned closer and whispered, "Between you and me, this creek hides wonders. And perhaps... a challenge or two." My tail wagged despite myself. With Baron Munchausen around, things always got more fun—and, as Dad liked to say, a little bit strange. ## Chapter Three: The Baron's Tale and the First Challenge We settled on a checkered blanket beneath the willows, and the Baron spread his arms wide, as if gathering the whole park into his story. "When I was a young man," he began, "I crossed this very creek riding a giant trout named Gerald. Terrible temper, Gerald. Splendid mustache, though—not unlike mine." Roman snorted with laughter. "That can't be true!" "Can't it?" The Baron raised one eyebrow. "Truth, young Roman, is often stranger than fiction, and fiction is often truer than fact." He turned to me. "Pete, my boy, why do you linger so far from the water?" I lowered my head, my ears hot with shame. "The water... it scares me. It's so big and so loud and so... splashy. What if it pulls me under? What if I can't get back?" The Baron's face softened. "Ah. Then today is a lucky day indeed, for you have before you the finest fear-conquering crew in all the land." Roman came and sat beside me, draping an arm over my shoulders. "Pete, remember when you were scared of the vacuum cleaner? And now you attack it like a knight fighting a dragon?" "That's different," I mumbled. "The vacuum cleaner is on dry land." Mariya smiled gently. "Fear is like a shadow, Pete. It looks enormous until you walk toward the light, and then it shrinks right down to your own size." Lenny nodded. "And we'll be with you every step. No rush. Just one paw at a time." I looked at the creek. It sparkled in the sunlight, and for one tiny moment, it looked less like a monster and more like... a mirror full of sky. "One paw at a time," I whispered. "Okay. Maybe just... close to the edge." ## Chapter Four: Swept Away We approached the creek together—Roman on my left, the Baron humming an old sailor's tune on my right. The water lapped at the pebbly shore, cool and clear, and I could see tiny silverfish darting like thrown coins. "See?" Roman said, wading in up to his ankles. "It's shallow here. Come on, Pete. Just dip one paw." My whole body trembled. My heart hammered like a woodpecker. But I thought of Mariya's words—walk toward the light—and I stretched out one shaking paw. The water touched my pad. It was cold. It was wet. It was... not terrible! "I did it!" I yelped. "I touched the—" And then the ground gave way. A hidden shelf of slick pebbles crumbled beneath me, and suddenly I was tumbling—splashing—cold water closing over my head like a heavy blanket! I paddled frantically, but the current grabbed me, pulling me away from the bank, away from my family, their shouts stretching thin behind me. "PETE!" Roman's voice, raw with fear. The Baron bellowed something in a language I didn't know, and I swear the wind itself rose up—but the creek bent around a curve, and my family vanished from sight. I clawed onto a half-sunken log, coughing, shivering, alone. The creek carried my log downstream into a shadowy stretch where the willows grew thick and dark, knitting their branches overhead like a roof. The light faded. The water muttered. My two greatest fears—water and being separated from my family—had arrived together, hand in hand, like villains in one of the Baron's tales. "Hello?" I called, my voice tiny. "Lenny? Mariya? Roman?" Only the dark answered. ## Chapter Five: The Dark Hollow The log bumped against a muddy bank, and I scrambled ashore into a hollow where the willows drank the sunlight. Shadows pooled everywhere like spilled ink, and every rustle sounded like footsteps. My third fear—the dark—crept up my spine on icy claws. "Don't be silly, Pete," I told myself, my voice wobbling. "You're an adventurer. Adventurers don't cry." But my eyes were wet anyway, and I told myself it was creek water. Then—a glow. Tiny lights blinked on among the roots, one, two, a hundred! Fireflies, rising like a constellation coming down to earth. And behind them, leaning casually against a willow as if he'd been there all along, stood Baron Munchausen. "Baron!" I gasped. "How did you—" "Old friends of mine, the fireflies," he said with a wink. "I asked them to light your way while I took the shortcut." He gestured at the air mysteriously, which was very like him. "Now then. Are you frightened?" "Terrified," I admitted. "The dark. The water. Being alone. All of it." "Good," he said, to my astonishment. "A pup who knows his fear can name it, and a fear that is named is a fear half-tamed." He sat beside me on a root. "When I was lost in the Cave of Echoes, younger than you are now, I was so scared I couldn't move. Do you know what saved me?" "What?" "I sang. Badly. But I sang, and my own voice reminded me that I was still there, still me, still unbroken." His eyes gleamed. "The dark cannot take your voice, Pete. The water cannot take your heart. And distance—" he tapped my chest gently, "—distance cannot take your family. They live in here." I took a shaky breath. Then, softly at first, I began to sing the silly song Lenny always sang at breakfast. The fireflies pulsed in time, and the dark hollow became, if not bright, then bearable. Mine. ## Chapter Six: The Guardian of the Creek We were making our way upstream along the bank when the water before us began to churn and rise. Up, up it swelled, until it took the shape of a towering figure—a hulking beast of swirling current and tangled weeds, with two glowing green eyes. "The Creekkeeper," the Baron murmured, stepping in front of me. "An old spirit. Grumpy fellow. He tests all who travel his waters." "NONE SHALL PASS!" the Creekkeeper boomed, his voice like rocks tumbling in a flood. "THE SMALL ONE FLED MY WATERS IN FEAR. ONLY THE BRAVE MAY CROSS." My legs turned to jelly. Every instinct screamed at me to run. But then I felt it—a warmth in my chest where the Baron had tapped. My family's faces rose in my mind: Lenny's encouraging wink, Mariya's gentle smile, Roman's arm around my shoulders. They were with me, even here. I stepped out from behind the Baron. "I was afraid," I said, and my voice rang out clearer than I expected. "I still am! But I swam in your water, and I sang in the dark, and I am going to find my family. Being brave doesn't mean I'm not scared. It means I keep going anyway!" The Creekkeeper's glowing eyes studied me for a long, long moment. The water of his body stilled. "WELL SPOKEN, LITTLE ONE," he rumbled, and his voice softened like rain on leaves. "COURAGE WITH HONEST FEAR IS THE TRUEST KIND." He bowed—actually bowed—and parted into two walls of water, revealing a dry path across the creek bed. "YOUR FAMILY WAITS BEYOND THE BEND." The Baron clapped me on the back, beaming. "Magnificent! Why, that's almost as good as the time I out-argued the North Wind!" I laughed—a real laugh, deep and free—and we crossed through the parted waters together. ## Chapter Seven: Found Beyond the bend, the willows opened into a sunlit meadow, and there—racing along the bank with his shoes soaked and his face streaked with worry—was Roman. "PETE!" "ROMAN!" He splashed straight into the shallows and scooped me up, hugging me so tight I could feel his heart pounding against mine. "I've been running along the creek for ages," he gasped. "I thought— I was so scared I lost you." "You didn't lose me," I said, licking his cheek. "You taught me. 'One paw at a time,' remember? I kept saying it, every step." Roman pulled back and looked at me—really looked. "You crossed the dark hollow? Alone?" "Not alone." I glanced back, but the Baron was already tipping his hat, fading into the dappled light the way he always did, off to some new tale. "I had friends. And I had all of you, right here." I touched my chest with my paw. Roman's eyes shone. He set me down gently at the water's edge. "Then... one more thing? Together?" I looked at the creek—my old enemy, my new teacher. I took a breath. I thought of the fireflies, the song, the Creekkeeper's bow. Then I jumped in. The water closed around me, cool and bright, and I paddled—actually paddled!—while Roman whooped and splashed beside me, and the creek sang, and this time I heard it: it had been singing all along. ## Chapter Eight: The Circle of Stories Lenny and Mariya came running down the meadow, and the reunion was a tangle of arms and paws and happy tears and laughter, the Baron reappearing just in time to claim he had "supervised the entire affair from a comfortable cloud." "You should have seen him," Roman told our parents, his arm around my damp shoulders. "Pete swam. He actually swam!" "And faced the dark," I added proudly. "And a giant water spirit!" "Gerald the trout sends his regards, by the way," the Baron said airily, and no one knew whether to believe him, which was exactly how he liked it. As the sun dipped low, painting the creek in ribbons of copper and rose, we sat together on the blanket, sharing sandwiches and stories. Mariya stroked my ears. "What did you learn today, Pete?" I thought hard. "That fear is a shadow—it shrinks when you walk into the light. That being scared and being brave can happen at the same time. And that even when we're apart, family stays right here." I touched my chest. Lenny nodded, his eyes soft. "Courage isn't never falling in the water, buddy. It's climbing back out, wetter and wiser." "And singing badly when it's dark," the Baron added solemnly. "Never underestimate bad singing." We laughed until the fireflies came out, rising over the creek like the stars' little children, and I leaned against Roman's side, tired and happy and changed. I had gone to Milbourn Creek as a pup afraid of water, of dark, of being alone. I came home as something more—not fearless, but brave, which is far better. For courage is not the absence of fear, but the love that walks straight through it—and love, like family, like friendship, never lets go. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T11:27:10.473055400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure ***"🐾 ...