"*** The Puggle Who Learned the Pond’s Secret ***"๐พ
## Chapter One: The Road to Mill Pond Park The morning sun spilled over the dashboard like melted honey, and I—Pete the Puggle, white-furred wonder, makeup-streaked eye bandit, and four-legged captain of imagination—pressed my nose to the window until it left a brave little circle of fog. “Mill Pond Park!” I barked, tail thumping Roman’s shoulder. “Do you think the ducks have names? Do you think the water remembers every splash? Do you think—” Roman laughed and scratched behind my ears. “I think you’re going to explode before we park.” “Impossible,” I said, though my belly flipped like a pancake. Mill Pond had water. Deep, shining, whispering water. I loved puddles. I adored baths when Mariya sang. But a pond was a giant bowl of unknown, and my paws remembered an old shiver from puppyhood—cold waves, no floor, the world suddenly too big. Lenny steered with one hand and pointed with the other. “Courage, Pete, is not the absence of fear. It’s fear wearing tiny boots and marching anyway.” Mariya turned from the passenger seat, eyes bright as fireflies. “And today we’ll look for the magic hiding inside ordinary ripples.” Beside me sat Bruce Lee—yes, the Bruce Lee, old friend of our family, quick-eyed and calm as a moonlit lake. He wore a simple jacket, but even seated he seemed coiled like a friendly dragon. “Pete,” Bruce said, smiling, “a pond is only a mirror that moves.” I gulped. “Mirrors don’t pull tails.” The car rolled beneath maples, and Mill Pond Park opened before us: grass soft as green velvet, picnic tables wearing checkered cloths, willows trailing long thoughtful fingers, and beyond it all the pond—wide, silver-blue, breathing. My courage put on its tiny boots. Then it hid behind my ribs. ## Chapter Two: Blankets, Breadcrumbs, and Brave Promises We claimed a hill beneath an oak whose leaves applauded in the breeze. Mariya spread the red blanket, Lenny unpacked sandwiches stacked like edible bricks, and Roman produced a frisbee with the solemnity of a knight drawing a sword. “First,” Roman announced, “we feast. Second, we explore. Third, Pete becomes the legendary Duck Diplomat of Mill Pond.” “I accept this destiny,” I said, chest puffed, though my eyes kept sneaking toward the water. Bruce Lee sat cross-legged, still as a statue except for his smile. “When I was young, I feared many things. Not opponents. Silence. Failure. The dark inside my own doubt.” Lenny nodded. “What helped?” Bruce lifted a pinecone. “Small steps. Breath. Friends who do not laugh at your shaking.” Mariya handed me a piece of apple. “Pete, what does the pond sound like to you?” I listened. Water kissed the stones. Reeds whispered secrets. A frog coughed like an old wizard. “It sounds,” I admitted, “like a door I don’t know how to open.” Roman leaned close. “Then we knock together.” A family of geese paraded past, proud as tiny generals. One gosling peeped at me, and I peeped back, which made Roman snort lemonade through his nose. For a while fear became small enough to sit beside the sandwiches. Then wind carried a cool smell from the pond—mineral, mossy, deep—and my paws tucked under me. The unknown had opened one blue eye. ## Chapter Three: The Edge of the Silver Unknown After lunch we wandered down the path where cattails stood like fuzzy torches. Dragonflies stitched the air with blue thread. The pond widened, and my heartbeat grew paws of its own. Roman knelt at the shore. “Look, Pete. Minnows.” Silver commas darted through the shallows. I crept closer until one toe touched wet sand. Cold zipped up my leg; I leapt back as if the pond had bitten me. “I can’t,” I whispered, ashamed. “It’s too big. It might swallow the bottom.” Lenny sat beside me, not pushing. “When I was a boy, I feared diving boards. I climbed one every summer and climbed down again.” “Did you ever jump?” I asked. “One day. Not because I stopped being scared. Because staying scared got heavier than jumping.” Bruce Lee stepped onto a flat rock, balanced like a leaf on wind. “Fear is a teacher with a rough voice. Ask it what it protects.” I closed my eyes. My fear wore my own face and barked: You’ll sink. You’ll vanish. They won’t reach you. Mariya’s hand rested warm between my shoulders. “What does courage say?” I listened harder. Beneath the barking, a smaller voice wagged its tail. It said: Roman is here. Dad is here. Mom is here. Bruce is here. I am here. I placed one paw in the water. Then another. The pond did not swallow me; it held my reflection, trembling but whole. Roman cheered so loudly three ducks filed a formal complaint. ## Chapter Four: Bruce Lee and the Willow Cave Bruce suggested a game near the willows, where long branches made a green curtain. “Adventure,” he said, “is a classroom with better costumes.” We ducked beneath the leaves into a cool, shadowed room. Light fell in coins. The air smelled of earth and rain that had happened yesterday. I froze. Darkness. Not night-dark, but enough to wake the old closet-monster in my memory—the one that lived behind stairs and ate socks and bravery. “It’s dim,” I said, trying to sound taller than I felt. Roman ducked in behind me. “Dim is just light playing hide-and-seek.” Bruce moved gently, making no sudden shapes. “In martial arts, we do not punch the dark. We make friends with distance. One breath. One step. Name five things you sense.” I swallowed. “Willow leaves. Wet bark. Roman’s elbow in my ribs—” “Sorry.” “—a beetle arguing with a twig, and my own heart sounding like a drum that joined a band.” Lenny called from outside, “Everything heroic in there?” “Mostly Pete,” Roman answered. I took one step. The dark did not bite. I took another. A shaft of sun found my white fur and lit me like a tiny lantern. I realized shadows were not walls; they were places light had not finished visiting. Then a crack split the air—branch snapping—and every nerve in me shouted run. I bolted deeper instead of out, Roman shouting, Bruce pivoting like wind, and suddenly the willow curtain swallowed us all. ## Chapter Five: Separated by the Green Curtain Panic is a poor navigator; it draws maps out of thunder. I ran through ferns, over roots, under a log slick as a sealed letter. Roman’s voice chased me—“Pete! Left! Wait!”—but fear turned every sound into a chase. I burst onto a narrow trail I didn’t know. No red blanket. No oak. No Mariya’s laugh. Only trees standing shoulder to shoulder like strangers. “Dad?” I called. “Mom? Roman?” A crow answered with rude confidence. I circled twice, sniffed for home and found only squirrel, mud, and my own frightened breath. Being lost felt like my leash had slipped from the universe’s hand. The forest pressed close, each shadow shaped exactly like maybe. Then bushes rustled. Out stumbled Bruce Lee, leaves in his hair, calm as ever, and behind him Roman, flushed and panting. “You ran,” Roman said, half angry, half crying. “You absolute fuzzy comet.” “I thought the dark chased me,” I said. Bruce knelt. “It did. But we chased faster.” For one shining minute we were together. Then Roman stepped backward onto a mossy slope, his foot slid, and with a yelp he vanished down the bank toward a hidden stream. Bruce lunged; I grabbed Roman’s sleeve; moss tore; all three of us tumbled into a gully where light thinned and water hurried black between stones. Above, far away, Lenny called our names like a bell through fog. ## Chapter Six: The Gully of Noises The gully was a throat of the park—cool, echoing, lined with roots like knuckles. Water rushed past, not pond-deep but fast, carrying leaves like green boats on urgent errands. Dusk had begun pouring gray tea over the trees. Roman clutched his ankle, face tight. “Not broken, I think. Just mad at me.” Bruce scanned the steep walls. “Up is not a door yet. Downstream may open.” My three fears held a meeting in my stomach: Water said, remember sinking. Dark said, remember teeth. Separation said, everyone is gone. I almost believed them. Then I saw Roman trying to stand and pretending it didn’t hurt. I heard Bruce breathing slow, making room inside the fear. I felt my own paws—small, yes, but attached to a heart that had already stepped into a pond once today. “I’m scared,” I said clearly, because naming monsters shrinks their fangs. “Good,” Bruce replied. “Now we know where to aim.” Roman managed a grin. “Aim at getting out before Dad tells the ‘when I was lost’ story.” We moved together: Bruce ahead, testing stones with hands faster than bees; Roman hopping beside me; me in the middle, nose down, ears up. The stream chuckled. I stepped in before I could refuse. Cold bit, current pushed, but I leaned into Roman’s leg and found balance. At a bend, the gully opened toward pond-light. There on the shore stood Lenny and Mariya, flashlights cutting gold ribbons through the dim. ## Chapter Seven: Found Beneath the First Stars “ROMAN! PETE! BRUCE!” Lenny’s voice cracked like a branch and healed just as fast. Mariya ran, flashlight bobbing, and wrapped Roman and me in one arm each while still somehow reaching Bruce with her eyes. “Lost is a place,” she whispered into my fur, “not a person. You were never lost to us.” Roman hugged me so hard I squeaked. “Don’t outrun us again.” “Don’t slide down moss mountains again,” I replied. Lenny checked Roman’s ankle, pronounced it “a sprain with dramatic ambitions,” and Bruce bowed as if the forest had been an opponent worthy of respect. Back at the blanket, lanterns glowed. The pond had turned black-silver, stars scattered across it like breadcrumbs for moon ducks. Night—my old enemy—settled around us, but this time it carried familiar voices. I shivered once. Mariya tucked a towel around me. “Dark again?” “Yes,” I said. “But it has you in it.” Bruce tossed a pebble into the pond; rings widened, touching shore after shore. “See? One small stone travels farther than it knows.” Lenny raised cocoa. “To tiny boots.” Roman lifted his cup with his good side. “To not chasing comets.” I looked at my family: Dad warm as campfire wisdom, Mom finding constellations in steam, brother rival-friend-hero, Bruce a quiet storm who taught stillness to move. The pond breathed. I breathed with it. ## Chapter Eight: The Pond Gives Back Its Reflection Before leaving, I walked to the water’s edge by myself—but not alone, because everyone watched from the blanket with lantern smiles. The night pond held the moon like a secret it had decided to share. I stepped in to my knees. Cold. Alive. Not an enemy; an element. I thought of the willow cave, the green curtain, the gully’s throat, and how fear had followed me wearing three masks. I had not defeated fear by becoming fearless. I had leashed it to love and taught it to heel. Roman limped beside me and flicked water at my ear. “Legendary Duck Diplomat?” “Legendary Pond Listener,” I corrected. Bruce joined us, hands loose at his sides. “What did you learn, Pete?” “That courage is a pack,” I said. “That dark is only unlit story. That water can carry you if you stop fighting to be stone.” Mariya came and rested her chin near my head. “And family?” “Family is the shore that walks with you.” Lenny nodded, eyes shining. “Even when we’re separated, love keeps a map.” We stood until the moon climbed higher and the park softened into silver hush. Then we packed crumbs, blankets, bruises, and bravery into the car. I curled between Roman and Bruce, tired in the good way—like a page after the best sentence. Mill Pond Park shrank in the window, but its reflection stayed inside me: not a giant bowl of unknown, but a moving mirror where I had finally seen myself brave. Love does not erase fear; it teaches fear where to sit. Courage grows in small wet steps, friends are lanterns with paws, and home is any voice that calls your name through the dark. *** The End ***
Use these buttons to read the story aloud:
No comments:
Post a Comment