Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** The Sunlit Speno Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T10:24:36.378498200

"*** The Sunlit Speno Park Adventure ***"🐾

Chapter 1: The Car Ride to Wonder The morning smelled like peanut butter toast and Dad’s silly socks. Lenny buckled me into my car seat with a grin, “Ready for the big park expedition, Captain Pete?” Mariya tucked a bandana around my neck and whispered, “Magic is in the ordinary, my love, and today the ordinary is very big.” Roman tossed me a squeaky fish from the backseat and said, “Don’t lose this, Puggle. It’s your lucky charm for the lake.” My tail thumped the seat. I was brave and bright-eyed and very, very nervous, because I had heard the lake was deep. Lenny turned on the radio and sang off-key about ducks, and Mariya laughed that warm laugh that makes my ears flop. Roman told me about his friend George who was coming to meet us at Speno Park. “He was in the Navy,” Roman said, “he can swim like a seal and he loves dogs.” I liked the sound of that, but my tummy did a somersault when Roman said swim. Water had always been a roaring monster in my head. We pulled into Speno Park and the world opened up. Green trees arched like giant arms, the playground glittered, and a wide blue lake shimmered beyond the grass. Mariya gasped, “Look at the light on the water.” I pressed my nose to the window and felt my heart beat fast and fast. Chapter 2: First Steps on Soft Grass The park smelled like cut grass and warm earth and the faint salty tang of the lake. Lenny spread the blanket while Mariya arranged sandwiches like little art. Roman ran ahead and waved to a tall man with sun-browned skin and a kind smile. “Pete, this is George,” Roman called. George crouched down so his eyes were level with mine. “Hey little guy,” he said, “I heard you’re the brave explorer of the house.” I wagged, but my paws felt sticky. The lake was right there, blue and moving, and it made a soft shushing sound that sounded like it was breathing. Mariya sat beside me and stroked my velvety white fur. “It’s okay to feel scared,” she said softly. “Courage isn’t not being afraid. It’s being afraid and still sniffing.” Lenny added, “I’m afraid of roller coasters, and I still get on them for you, buddy.” George laughed and showed me his Navy tattoo of an anchor. “Water is a good friend once you know it,” he said. Roman put his arm around me. “We’ll go slow. You don’t have to touch it if you don’t want.” I wanted to be brave like them, but the water looked huge and dark in the middle. Chapter 3: The Edge of the Water We walked to the dock where the wooden boards creaked under our feet. George slipped off his shoes and tested the water with his toes. “Cool and clean,” he said. Roman held my harness gently. “Just look first, okay?” I looked. The lake was a mirror with ripples, and the far side looked like a different world. My throat went dry and my ears flattened. “I’m scared,” I whimpered, and the words felt big in my chest. Mariya knelt and whispered, “Tell me what you see.” I saw the deep blue that swallowed light, the way the water moved without asking permission, and I remembered the dream where I fell in and couldn’t find the bottom. Lenny patted my head. “That fear is your body trying to protect you,” he said. “We can protect you too.” George didn’t push. He tossed a stick just to the edge of the water and let it float. “See? It’s just a stick having a bath.” Roman laughed and said, “Pete, you’re better at finding hidden treats than anyone I know. Maybe the water just has hidden treats.” For a second, I thought maybe. Chapter 4: The Woods and the Coming Dark After lunch we followed a trail behind the park where the trees got tall and the sun turned gold. Mariya pointed out mushrooms like tiny umbrellas and birds that sang in quick bursts. Roman led the way with George, and I trotted between Lenny and Mariya, my nose full of pine and damp soil. The path narrowed and the shadows grew long. As the afternoon slipped, the sky turned lavender and the woods got quiet in a way that made my fur prickle. A cool breeze moved through the leaves and it sounded like whispering. “It’s getting dark,” I said, my voice small. Roman stopped and turned. “Hey, it’s okay, Puggle. The dark is just the park taking a nap.” I didn’t feel okay. The dark felt like a blanket being pulled over my eyes. Lenny made a silly joke about being a werewolf, and Mariya started humming. George said, “In the Navy, night was our friend because it hid us. We just had to trust our ears.” I tried to trust my ears, but every snap of a twig felt like a giant stepping close. Chapter 5: The Separation We were near the old stone bridge over a small creek when a bright yellow butterfly fluttered low and I chased it. Roman called, “Pete, wait!” but I was already off the path, paws silent on moss. George laughed and said, “He’s fast!” and Roman ran after us. Mariya shouted our names, but the trees swallowed her voice. In my excitement I didn’t see the path bend. I burst into a clearing by the lake where the dock was empty. Roman and George were there, but Lenny and Mariya were not. The sun was lower now, and the water looked darker. My heart hammered. “Where’s Mom and Dad?” I asked, and my voice shook. Roman’s face went serious. “We got turned around. Stay right here.” George put a hand on Roman’s shoulder. “We’ll find them. You stay with Pete.” The wind picked up and the lake made louder sounds. I was scared of water, scared of dark, and now scared of being alone without my family. All three fears tangled like knots in my chest. Chapter 6: Courage in the Clearing The sky turned deep blue and the first stars blinked. Roman lit his phone flashlight, and the beam made a small warm circle on the grass. George sat down and patted the ground. “Come here, buddy,” he said gently. I crawled into his lap, shaking. “I’m scared of the water,” I whispered. “And the dark. And I miss them.” George spoke softly, like Mariya does. “You know, in the Navy I was scared of the deep too, until I learned to float. Fear is a signal, not a stop sign.” Roman knelt and held my paw. “You’re the bravest puggle I know. Remember the squeaky fish? You found it under the couch when it was dark.” I thought about that. I did. Roman took off his hoodie and draped it over me like a blanket. “We’ll get them,” he promised. Then he did something brave. He walked to the water’s edge, just a few steps, and splashed his hand. “See? It’s just water.” I watched the ripples and felt my fear loosen a little, like a knot coming undone. Chapter 7: Found by the Light We heard voices calling, “Pete! Roman!” Mariya’s voice was bright with worry, Lenny’s was deep and steady. Roman shouted back, and the sound bounced off the trees. A few minutes later, headlamps appeared through the trees. Mariya ran and scooped me up, tears in her eyes. “My little explorer,” she sobbed, hugging me tight. Lenny laughed with relief and ruffled Roman’s hair. “You’re supposed to be the protector, kid.” Roman looked sheepish. “I know, Dad. I got distracted.” George stepped forward and said, “We’ll always check in, Captain.” I was warm in Mariya’s arms, and the dark didn’t feel so big anymore because my family was here. We walked back together, all five of us and me, holding the blanket and the squeaky fish. The lake was calm now, reflecting the moon like silver coins. I didn’t need to swim, but I wasn’t terrified of looking at it anymore. Chapter 8: Home Under the Stars Back on the blanket, Lenny told a silly joke about a fish who went to therapy, and everyone laughed. Mariya brushed my fur and said, “You showed such brave heart today.” Roman whispered, “You faced water, dark, and being apart. That’s a lot for one day.” George nodded. “Courage grows when you’re not alone.” I thought about how my fears felt like monsters until I named them out loud. I thought about how Roman’s hand, George’s calm voice, and my parents’ love made the monsters smaller. I was still a puppy who loves snuggles, but I was also an adventurer who could face big feelings. Lenny pulled me close. “We’re proud of you, Pete.” Mariya kissed my forehead. “Brave is just love in action.” I curled up between them, heart full and tail thumping slow. Family and friendship turned fear into strength, and I fell asleep to the sound of the lake breathing softly. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Puggle Who Conquered the Waves: Pete's Adventure at Philip B. Healey Beach *** 2026-10-01T11:10:48.235929600

"*** The Puggle Who Conquered the Waves: Pete's Adventure at Philip B. Healey Beach ***"🐾 ...