Followers Woof Woof :)

Friday, October 2, 2026

*** Waves, Whiskers, and the Bravest Puggle at Jones Beach *** 2026-10-02T10:48:30.438404100

"*** Waves, Whiskers, and the Bravest Puggle at Jones Beach ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Road to the Sea** The morning sun spilled across our driveway like melted butter on warm toast, and I, Pete the Puggle, spun in circles so fast my white velvety ears nearly flew off. "Jones Beach! Jones Beach!" I barked, my tail wagging like a flag in a hurricane. Lenny laughed his big, warm laugh as he loaded the cooler into the car. "Easy there, Pete! The ocean isn't going anywhere. Although," he added with a wink, "I heard the waves get pretty impatient if you're late." Mariya knelt beside me, her eyes twinkling with that magic she always found in ordinary things. "Do you smell that, Pete? Salt and sunshine. The sea has been waiting all winter just for us." Roman scooped me up and scratched behind my ears—my absolute favorite spot. "You're gonna love it, buddy. Sand, seagulls, maybe even some new friends." But deep inside my puppy heart, a small gray cloud of worry drifted. The ocean. All that endless, roaring, swallowing water. I had seen it on television once, and the waves had looked like giant blue monsters with white foam teeth. I pushed the thought away and wagged harder. Today would be an adventure. Adventures were my thing. Right? As we drove, Roman held me at the window, and the wind rushed through my fur like invisible fingers. "See that?" Roman pointed ahead where the horizon shimmered silver-blue. "That's the Atlantic Ocean, Pete. It's been here for millions of years." "Millions?" I gasped. "That's older than Dad's jokes!" "Hey!" Lenny called from the driver's seat. "My jokes are classics!" We all laughed, and for a little while, my fear curled up and slept like a cat in a sunbeam. **Chapter Two: New Friends on the Boardwalk** The moment my paws touched the famous Jones Beach boardwalk, my nose exploded with a thousand smells—salty pretzels, sunscreen, fried clams, and something mysterious and fishy drifting from the dunes. The beach stretched before us like a golden carpet rolled out to the edge of the world, and the ocean beyond it sparkled and roared, roared and sparkled. "Stay close, everyone," Mariya said, spreading our blanket under a bright umbrella. "It's busy today." That's when I saw them. Under the boardwalk, in the cool striped shadows, sat an orange cat with whiskers like elegant paintbrushes and, perched on his head like a tiny admiral, a brown mouse. "Tom! Jerry!" I yipped, racing over. "What are you two doing at the beach?" Tom stretched lazily. "Chasing this rascal across three states, naturally. We needed a vacation from chasing each other." "Speak for yourself," Jerry squeaked, arms crossed. "I was winning." Roman crouched down, grinning. "Well, look at that, Pete. You've got friends here already." "Friends stick together," I declared proudly. "Tom, Jerry—want to explore the dunes with me?" "Adventure?" Jerry's eyes lit up like tiny lanterns. "Count me in!" Tom sighed dramatically. "I suppose someone has to keep you two out of trouble." But as we trotted off, I glanced back at the water. A wave crashed against the shore with a sound like a giant clearing its throat, and my paws went cold despite the warm sand. *Not today,* I told the ocean silently. *I am not afraid of you. Not much. Not... completely.* **Chapter Three: The Water's Cold Teeth** "Come on, Pete!" Roman called, ankle-deep in the surf, water swirling around his legs like liquid glass. "It's perfect! Just dip a paw in!" I stood at the edge where the wet sand met the dry, my whole body trembling like a leaf in a storm. The water rushed toward me—*whoosh*—and I scrambled backward, my heart hammering like a drum. The foam hissed around my paws, cold and grabbing, and I yelped. "It's okay, buddy," Roman said softly, walking back to me. He knelt in the sand and looked right into my eyes. "You know what courage is? It's not not being scared. It's being scared and taking one tiny step anyway." Lenny wandered over, carrying a seashell. "When I was a boy, I was terrified of diving boards. You know what I did? I climbed one step a day. Took me a whole summer. But Pete—the view from the top was worth every shaky step." Mariya sat beside me in the sand, warm as a blanket. "The ocean isn't a monster, sweetheart. It's just... very big and very old. Like a grandmother who hugs a little too tightly." I looked at the three of them—my family, my whole world—standing between me and the roaring water. Tom and Jerry watched from a dune, and Jerry called out, "You can do it, Pete! I've faced cats, mousetraps, and a vacuum cleaner! A little water is nothing!" I took a breath that tasted of salt and courage. One paw. The water touched it—cold, yes, but not biting. Another paw. The foam swirled around my ankles like curious fingers. "I'm... I'm doing it!" I barked. "That's my boy!" Lenny cheered, and Roman splashed gently beside me, making the water feel like a game instead of a threat. **Chapter Four: Lost in the Dunes** After my victory over the waves, I felt ten feet tall—well, ten inches at least. Tom, Jerry, and I decided to chase a sandpiper bird along the shore, laughing as it zigzagged just out of reach. We chased it past the lifeguard stand, past the fishing area, past dunes that rose like sleeping golden giants. "Gotcha!" I pounced—and landed in soft sand while the bird sailed away, laughing in bird language. That's when I noticed. The crowds were gone. The umbrella was gone. The boardwalk had vanished behind a wall of dunes. My triumphant grin melted like ice cream in August. "Uh, Tom?" My voice came out small and squeaky. "Where's my family?" Tom's whiskers twitched. "Hmm. This is... farther than I intended." Jerry climbed a dune and scanned the beach. "I don't see them. But don't panic! Panicking never helps. Usually. Sometimes it helps a little." But panic was already rising in my chest like floodwater. *What if I never find them? What if they're looking for me right now, worried sick?* The beach suddenly seemed enormous—a desert of sand under an ocean of sky, and I was just one small puggle in all of it. "We stay together," Tom said firmly, pressing his shoulder against mine. "That's the rule. Whatever happens, we stay together." "And we follow our own paw prints back," Jerry added smartly. "Like breadcrumbs! Only... footprints." I swallowed my fear like a bitter pill and nodded. My family had taught me to be brave. Now it was time to prove I'd learned. **Chapter Five: Darkness Under the Boardwalk** Our paw prints had been washed away—of course they had—by the rising tide, which seemed to chuckle at our misfortune. The sun was sliding lower now, painting the sky in oranges and purples, and shadows stretched across the sand like long dark fingers. "The boardwalk!" Jerry pointed. "It runs the whole length of the beach. If we follow it, we'll find the main area!" But to follow it, we had to go *under* it—through a passage beneath the wooden planks where the darkness pooled thick as ink. I froze at the entrance. The dark had always been my secret enemy, the monster under every bed, the cold breath in every closet. "I... I can't," I whispered. "It's so dark in there." Tom sat beside me, his voice gentler than I'd ever heard it. "Pete, can I tell you something? Cats see in the dark. And you know what I've learned after all these years? The dark is just the light, resting. Nothing in there is scarier than what's out here." Jerry took my paw in his tiny hand. "And you won't be alone. We'll go one step at a time. Together." I thought of Roman's words: *courage is being scared and taking one tiny step anyway.* I closed my eyes, felt my friends pressed against me on either side, and stepped into the darkness. It smelled of old wood and cool sand. Drips of water echoed like a slow heartbeat. My legs shook, but with each step, Tom hummed a silly tune and Jerry squeaked the harmony, and somehow the darkness became less like a monster and more like a blanket—heavy, but soft. When we emerged into the lavender twilight on the other side, I laughed out loud with pure, disbelieving joy. "I did it! I walked through the dark!" **Chapter Six: The Storm of Fear and the Light of Hope** But the beach at dusk is a different world. The wind had risen, whipping sand into little tornadoes, and the tide crashed louder now, white and wild. Worst of all, a rain began to fall—cold needles from a darkening sky. "We need shelter!" Tom shouted over the wind. We huddled beneath an overturned rowboat near the dunes, three friends pressed together, shivering. Rain drummed on the hull above us like impatient fingers. And there, in the dimness and the cold, my fear came back—not of water, not of dark, but the deepest fear of all: *What if I'm never found? What if I've lost my family forever?* Tears mixed with rain on my fur. "They must be so worried," I whispered. "Mariya will be crying. Lenny will be making jokes to hide how scared he is. And Roman..." My voice broke. "Roman never lets me out of his sight. He must be tearing the whole beach apart." Jerry patted my paw. "Then we make it easy for him. Listen—when the rain stops, we climb the tallest dune. You bark. Loud. Bigger than you've ever barked." "But I'm just a little puggle," I sniffled. Tom looked at me with eyes glowing green in the dark. "Pete, today you faced the ocean, the dark, and being lost. You are not *just* anything. You are the bravest dog I have ever met. And I have met several." Something warm kindled in my chest, small but growing, like the first ember of a campfire. They were right. Fear had knocked me down all day, and every single time, I had gotten back up. Maybe bravery wasn't something you had. Maybe it was something you *became*, one scary moment at a time. When the rain thinned to a drizzle, we climbed the dune. I planted my paws on the summit, lifted my snout to the storm-washed sky, and barked with everything I had—every fear, every hope, every ounce of love for my family poured into one enormous sound. "ROOOO-ROOOO-ROOOOO!" **Chapter Seven: Found** For a moment, only the wind answered. Then—faint, distant, but unmistakable—came a voice I knew better than my own heartbeat. "PETE! PETE, IS THAT YOU?" "ROMAN!" I howled, and barked again, and again, my voice cracking with joy. A flashlight beam swept across the dunes like a lighthouse, and there he was—my brother, my best friend—running through the wet sand, his hair plastered with rain, his face lit up like sunrise. Behind him came Lenny and Mariya, flashlights bobbing, calling my name. Roman reached the top of the dune and scooped me into his arms, and I licked his face a hundred times while he laughed and cried at the same time. "Pete! Oh, buddy, I was so scared! Don't you EVER run off like that again!" "I'm sorry," I whimpered, burying my nose in his neck. "We chased a bird and got lost, but Tom and Jerry stayed with me the whole time, and I walked through the dark under the boardwalk ALL BY MYSELF—well, with them—and I barked as loud as I could so you'd find me!" Mariya wrapped us both in a huge towel and her even huger embrace. "My brave, brave boy," she whispered, kissing the top of my head. Lenny shook Tom's paw solemnly and scratched Jerry behind his tiny ears. "Thank you for watching over him. Any friends of Pete's are family now. And family," he added with a grin, "gets the first pick of the sandwiches." Jerry did a happy backflip. "Now THAT'S what I call a rescue reward!" **Chapter Eight: Lessons Written in Sand** Back at the blanket, wrapped in towels and warmth, we watched the moon rise over the ocean like a silver coin dropped into dark velvet. The storm had washed the sky clean, and stars spilled across it in glittering rivers. "So," Lenny said, passing around sandwiches, "what did we learn today? Besides the fact that sandpipers are faster than they look." I thought hard, my head resting on Roman's knee. "I learned that the water isn't a monster. It's just big. And that the dark is just the light, resting—that's what Tom said. And..." I swallowed. "I learned that being scared doesn't mean you're not brave. Being scared is WHERE brave happens." Roman squeezed me close. "I learned that I should never take my eyes off you, you little escape artist. But also..." he grew quiet, thoughtful, "watching you bark from that dune, I realized you're growing up. You didn't wait to be rescued. You made yourself findable. That's pretty amazing, Pete." Mariya gazed at the waves, glowing faintly in the moonlight. "I learned that a day can hold both fear and wonder, like a shell holds the sound of the sea. The scary moments don't ruin the beautiful ones. They make them shine brighter." Tom licked a paw thoughtfully. "I learned that friendship means walking into the dark *with* someone, even when you could just walk around it alone." "And I learned," Jerry declared, mouth full of sandwich, "that puggles have VERY loud barks. My ears are still ringing." We laughed until our bellies hurt, and the ocean laughed with us, wave after wave rolling in like applause. As we packed up to leave, I took one last look at the water that had terrified me that morning. It no longer looked like a monster. It looked like what it was—vast and ancient and singing its endless song, and now, somehow, a little bit mine. "Same time next year?" I asked the ocean. A wave rushed up and tickled my paws, and this time, I didn't run. Because courage, I had learned, is not the absence of fear—it is love and friendship standing beside you, teaching your trembling paws to take one more step. And family is the flashlight that always, always finds you in the dark. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight *** 2026-10-02T11:16:36.091009400

"*** The Puggle Who Splashed Through Starlight ***"🐾 ...