Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** The Splashing, Sparkling Adventure at Marjorie R. Post Community Park *** 2026-10-01T11:05:31.844921800

"*** The Splashing, Sparkling Adventure at Marjorie R. Post Community Park ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Morning of the Great Outing** The sun had barely stretched its golden arms over the rooftops when I, Pete the Puggle, heard the magic word jingle from the kitchen: "Park!" My tail became a windmill of pure joy. I skidded across the kitchen tiles, my velvety white ears flopping like little flags. "Slow down, speedster!" laughed Roman, my older brother, catching me mid-zoom. "Marjorie R. Post Community Park isn't going anywhere." "But *I* am going somewhere!" I barked, spinning in circles. "Somewhere AMAZING!" Mariya—Mom—knelt down and scratched behind my ears. "You know, Pete, they say this park has a pond that sparkles like a thousand tiny mirrors. Even the ordinary ducks there look like they're wearing crowns." Lenny—Dad—appeared with the picnic basket and his trademark grin. "Did you hear about the puggle who packed his own lunch? He brought a *bark*-becue sandwich!" "Dad!" Roman groaned, but he was smiling. I licked Dad's hand anyway because his jokes, silly as they were, always felt like warm blankets. As we loaded into the car, I pressed my nose against the window. Inside my chest, excitement bubbled—but so did a tiny, cold pebble of worry. A pond. Water. Deep, wobbly, mysterious water. I pushed the thought away like an old bone under the couch. Today was a happy day. Nothing could go wrong. Right? **Chapter Two: Arrival and New Friends** The park exploded around us like a painting come to life. Emerald grass rolled out in every direction, dotted with wildflowers that nodded in the breeze. Tall oaks stood like gentle giants, and somewhere beyond the playground, I heard it—the soft, silvery *shhhhhh* of water. "Stay close, Pete," Mom said, unclipping my leash once we reached the meadow. "And be kind to anyone you meet." That's when I saw them. Sitting on a wooden bench, as casual as could be, were a gray cat with clever eyes and a tiny brown mouse perched on his shoulder. "Well, look at this," the cat drawled, flicking his tail. "A puggle with makeup streaks around his eyes. Stylish. I'm Tom." "And I'm Jerry!" squeaked the mouse, bowing dramatically. "Bravest mouse in the whole park. Possibly the world." I blinked. "Aren't you two supposed to be... chasing each other?" Tom shrugged. "We took the day off. Even legends need vacation." He leaned closer. "So, new kid, ever been swimming in the pond?" My paws suddenly felt glued to the grass. "Swimming? Me? Oh, I... I prefer dry land. Very dry. The driest." Jerry tilted his tiny head. "You're scared of water, aren't you?" "I am NOT—" I started, but my voice cracked like a thin twig. Tom and Jerry exchanged a look, not mean, just knowing. Somehow, that made it worse. **Chapter Three: The Pond of Shimmering Fear** Roman called us over to the pond's edge, where a little wooden dock stretched out like a finger pointing at adventure. The water was beautiful—I couldn't deny it—glittering under the sun as if someone had poured liquid starlight into the earth. But beneath that sparkle, I imagined dark depths, cold and endless, waiting to swallow a small puggle whole. "Come on, Pete!" Roman splashed his hand in the shallows. "Just dip a paw. I'll be right here." My legs trembled like leaves in a storm. "What if it's deep? What if something grabs me? What if I sink like a stone and nobody ever finds me?" Dad sat down beside me on the warm dock. "You know, Pete, fear is like a big shadow. It looks enormous, but it's only made of a small thing blocking the light." "What's the small thing?" I whispered. "Usually just not knowing," Mom added softly, crouching down. "The water isn't a monster, sweetheart. It's just... new. And new things become ordinary once you say hello to them." Jerry scampered right to the water's edge and—splash!—hopped onto a floating leaf like it was a boat. "See? Even I float, and I'm basically a crumb with legs!" Everyone laughed, and something inside me loosened, just a little. I crept forward. One paw. The water was cool, ticklish, alive. Not a monster. Just... water. "That's my brave boy," Roman said, and his voice was so warm it could've melted winter. **Chapter Four: Lost in the Whispering Woods** Disaster struck the way it always does—quickly and without knocking. A squirrel chattered rudely at Tom, Tom's old instincts flared, and before anyone could blink, Tom bolted after it, Jerry clinging to his back yelling, "Wrong squirrel! WRONG SQUIRREL!" And me? I ran after my new friends, barking, "Wait! Come back!" By the time we all skidded to a stop, the meadow was gone. The pond was gone. My family was gone. We stood in a shaded grove where the trees grew thick and the light fell in thin, nervous ribbons. "Oh no," I whimpered. My ears flattened. "They're gone. I'm lost. I'm lost forever!" My heart hammered like a drum in a thunderstorm. The old fear—the biggest one, bigger than water—rose up inside me: *What if I never see them again? What if I'm alone in the dark, forever?* Jerry hopped onto my nose, forcing me to look at him cross-eyed. "Hey. Hey! Listen to me, Pete. I get chased by a cat ten times my size every single week. You know what I've learned?" "W-what?" "Being scared doesn't mean you're weak. It means you have something worth being scared *for*. Your family is worth it. So we don't sit here shaking—we walk, and we trust they'll be looking too." Tom nodded, his clever eyes gentle now. "Roman won't stop until he finds you. I'd bet my finest sardine on it." I took a breath. Then another. "Okay," I said, my voice small but standing up straight. "Okay. Let's go home." **Chapter Five: Darkness Under the Old Bridge** Our path led to an old stone footbridge, and beneath it yawned a tunnel of shadow—the shortcut back to the pond, Tom insisted. But to me, that darkness looked like the open mouth of a sleeping giant. "I can't," I gasped, backing away. "I can't go in there. The dark eats everything. It eats sounds and light and little dogs." My whole body shook. Every scary story I'd ever half-heard came crawling back. The dark was where lost things stayed lost. Jerry took my paw in his tiny hands. "Pete, when I lived in a wall, everything was dark. And you know what I found in the dark? My way. Whiskers don't need light. Hearts don't either." "Walk behind me," Tom said. "My eyes see in the dark. I'll be your lantern." I closed my eyes, then opened them. I thought of Roman's laugh, Mom's gentle hands, Dad's terrible jokes. *Love is a light you carry inside,* I thought. *And nobody can switch it off.* Step by trembling step, I entered the tunnel. The dark pressed against my fur like cold fingers, but I kept walking. I counted my heartbeats. I listened to Tom's soft paws and Jerry's encouraging squeaks. And then—there! A coin of golden light at the far end, growing bigger, bigger, until we burst out into the sunshine, and I was laughing, actually laughing! "I did it!" I howled. "I walked through the dark!" **Chapter Six: The Great Splash** We emerged near the pond—but on the far side. And there, across the glittering water, I saw them: Mom shading her eyes, Dad cupping his hands around his mouth, and Roman—Roman was already running along the shore toward the dock. "They don't see us yet!" Tom said. "The path around takes twenty minutes." Jerry's eyes gleamed. "Or... we swim straight across." The water stretched before me, wide and shimmering. My old fear rose one last time, cold and hissing. But then I saw Roman stop, press his hand to his chest, and scan the far shore—and I knew he was looking for *me*. My family was my shore. My safe place. And between us was only water—just water, just *new*. "I'm going," I said, before my courage could change its mind. I leaped. The cold slapped me like a surprise bath, and for one terrible second I flailed—but then my paws remembered something ancient, something every dog carries in their bones. I paddled. I *floated*. The water held me up like a million gentle hands! "Pete!" Roman's voice cracked across the pond, half laughing, half crying. "PETE, YOU'RE SWIMMING!" Tom paddled beside me like a furry boat, Jerry riding his head and waving a leaf like a flag. "Onward, Captain Pete!" Jerry cried. The fear didn't vanish—it *transformed*, melting into something warm and bright that filled my whole chest. I wasn't sinking. I was soaring, in a wet and wiggly way. **Chapter Seven: The Reunion** Roman was chest-deep in the shallows before I even reached him, scooping me up and holding me so tight I could feel his heartbeat racing against mine. "Don't you EVER run off like that again," he whispered into my fur, and his voice was shaking. "I was so scared, Pete." "I'm sorry," I said, licking his cheek. "But Roman—I swam! I walked through the dark tunnel! I was brave!" Mom and Dad arrived breathless, and Mom wrapped us both in a towel and her arms at once. "My sweet boy," she murmured. "We searched everywhere." Dad scratched my soggy head. "Well, looks like our little puggle is a *water dog* now. Guess you could say he... *dove* right into courage." "DAD." But we were all laughing, the kind of laughing that comes after tears, the best kind. Tom and Jerry sat dripping on the dock, pretending not to be touched. "Told you he'd find you," Tom said, licking a paw casually. "Never doubted it for a second. Well. Maybe one second." **Chapter Eight: Reflections at Sunset** We ended the day on a blanket as the sunset poured honey-colored light over the pond—the same water that had terrified me that morning now looked like an old friend wearing its finest evening clothes. "So," Mom said, sharing out the last sandwiches, "what did everyone learn today?" I thought hard, my head on Roman's knee. "I learned that fear is a shadow, and shadows can't hurt you. I learned that the dark is just light waiting on the other side. And I learned that being lost is only scary if you forget that someone is always looking for you." Jerry raised a tiny paw. "I learned puggles float better than expected." "I learned," Tom said, "that some days off from chasing are the best adventures of all." Roman squeezed me gently. "I learned that Pete doesn't need me to protect him anymore. He just needs me to believe in him." "And I," said Dad, "learned that my jokes are appreciated by exactly one dog in this family." I barked in agreement, and everyone groaned happily. As the first stars blinked awake, I looked at my family, my friends, the shining pond, and I understood: courage isn't the absence of fear. It's walking—paddling, trembling, trusting—straight through it, toward the ones you love. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T11:27:10.473055400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure ***"🐾 ...