Followers Woof Woof :)

Thursday, October 1, 2026

*** The Waves of Baldwin Harbor *** 2026-10-01T11:01:49.154581500

"*** The Waves of Baldwin Harbor ***"🐾

**Chapter 1: The Call of the Harbor** The morning sun spilled across the kitchen like melted butter, and I, Pete the Puggle, knew something magical was afoot. My white fur practically buzzed with excitement as Lenny jingled the car keys—that sound was the overture to adventure! "Pack your brave face, Pete," Lenny said, scratching behind my ears. "We're going to Baldwin Harbor Park today. There's a beach, trails, and a lighthouse!" "A beach?" My tail, which had been wagging like a metronome gone wild, suddenly froze. Water. Big, endless, roaring water. My stomach did a somersault. Mariya knelt beside me, her eyes soft as morning mist. "Oh, Pete, I see that worry in your eyes. The ocean isn't an enemy, sweetheart. It's just the world's biggest bathtub." Roman flopped onto the floor next to me, grinning. "Don't worry, buddy. I'll be right there. Nothing gets past me—not even a wave." I wanted to believe them. But in my mind, the water was a gray monster with white foam teeth. *What if it swallows me whole?* I thought, pressing against Roman's leg. Still, when the car door opened, I leaped in. A Puggle's loyalty is stronger than his fear—or at least, that's what I told myself, over and over, like a prayer. **Chapter 2: New Friends at the Shore** Baldwin Harbor Park burst upon us in a symphony of salt air, crying gulls, and wind that tasted like adventure. Families dotted the sand like colorful sprinkles, and sailboats bobbed on the horizon like white birds resting their wings. As we set up our blanket near the dunes, I heard a rustle in the sea grass. Out strolled a gray-and-white cat with the most unbothered expression I'd ever seen, and perched on his head—impossibly—sat a tiny brown mouse. "Well, look at this," the cat drawled. "A pup with trembling whiskers. Name's Tom. This little fellow on my head is Jerry." "Bravest mouse on the East Coast!" Jerry squeaked, saluting. "I'm Pete," I said, trying to puff out my chest. "And I'm... mostly brave." Tom's whiskers twitched knowingly. "Mostly brave is how everyone starts, kid. Jerry here was once scared of cheese." "That's a lie," Jerry laughed, "but I was scared of the dark once. True story." Roman wandered over, delighted. "Pete, did you make friends already?" He scratched Tom under the chin while Jerry scampered onto Roman's shoulder. "See, Pete? This place is full of good surprises." I wagged cautiously. Maybe the harbor wasn't so scary after all. But then the waves roared behind me, and my courage shrank like a puddle in the sun. **Chapter 3: The Water Monster** "C'mon, Pete!" Roman called, ankle-deep in the gentle surf. "The water's perfect! Just put one paw in!" I approached the shoreline the way one approaches a sleeping dragon. The water rushed toward my paws, and I yelped, scrambling backward as foam chased me up the sand. My heart hammered like a drum in a marching band. "It's okay, buddy," Roman said, wading back. He sat right down in the wet sand beside me. "You know what I do when I'm scared? I name the fear. Makes it smaller." "Name it?" I whimpered. "Sure. Call that wave... Gerald. Gerald the wave. He's not a monster; he's just enthusiastic." I giggled despite myself. Tom sauntered up, tail high. "The pup's got a point of terror and a point of curiosity, and they're wrestling. Classic." Jerry nodded from Tom's head. "When I was scared of the dark, I took one tiny step, then another. Bravery isn't a leap, Pete. It's a staircase." Roman held out his hand. "One paw. That's all. I'll be right here." I stared at the incoming wave—Gerald—and thought of Jerry's staircase. Slowly, trembling like a leaf in autumn, I stretched out one paw. The cool water swirled around it, tickling, gentle, almost... friendly. "I did it!" I barked, leaping in circles. "Did you see?!" The whole family cheered, and Mariya clapped from the blanket. "That's my brave boy!" **Chapter 4: Swept Away by Curiosity** Emboldened by my victory over Gerald, I did what any newly courageous pup would do—I got distracted. A flash of orange caught my eye: a butterfly, dancing along the dune path like a living ember. "Pete, stay close!" Lenny called, but the butterfly was already flitting around the bend, and Tom and Jerry were trotting after it too. "Just a quick look!" I barked back, and off we went, around the dunes, past the tidal pools, until the sounds of my family faded behind the wind. When the butterfly finally vanished into the marsh grass, I stopped—and my heart dropped like a stone. The path had forked three ways. The blanket, the umbrella, my family—all gone from sight. "Uh oh," squeaked Jerry, his tiny ears drooping. "Don't panic," Tom said, though his tail had puffed to twice its size. "Panicking is just fear wearing a faster pair of shoes." But panic was already licking at my paws. *What if I never find them? What if I'm alone forever?* Being separated was my oldest, deepest fear—darker than water, darker than night. The harbor suddenly felt enormous, and I felt smaller than Jerry. "We stick together," I said, forcing my voice steady. "That's what family does, and today, you two are my family. We'll find them. Roman always finds me." **Chapter 5: Shadows in the Marsh** The trail we chose wound into a marshy thicket where tall reeds whispered secrets and the sky began to dim. Gray clouds rolled in like heavy curtains, and shadows stretched long fingers across the path. "The dark," I breathed, my legs turning to jelly. "I can't do the dark. The dark has... things in it." "The dark has the same things the light has," Tom said softly, pressing against my side. "You just can't see them. But I'll tell you a secret—cats see in the dark, and I'm looking right now: nothing but reeds, frogs, and one very handsome cat." Jerry hopped onto my head, a tiny warm weight. "And I'm up here keeping watch. Nothing gets past a mouse's ears, Pete. We hear everything." A frog croaked, and I yelped. Then I laughed at myself. "It's just a frog. Gerald the wave, and now... Fred the frog." "That's the spirit," Tom purred. Step by step, with Tom's steady warmth beside me and Jerry's tiny voice narrating the path ahead—"Root on the left! Puddle ahead!"—we pushed through the marsh. I realized something astonishing: the dark hadn't changed, but *I* had. With friends beside me, the shadows were just the world wearing its evening coat. My fear was still there, but it walked behind me now instead of blocking the road. **Chapter 6: The Lighthouse Light** Beyond the marsh, we emerged onto a rocky point where an old lighthouse stood against the darkening sky, its beam sweeping the water like a slow, patient searchlight. "A lighthouse!" I gasped. "Dad said there was a lighthouse! If we climb the hill, we can see the whole park!" We scrambled up the rocky slope, and from the top, the world unfolded below us—the dunes, the marsh, and there, far down the beach, a tiny blue umbrella and four figures moving along the shoreline, calling something the wind carried away. "THEM!" I barked, joy exploding in my chest like fireworks. "That's them! That's my family!" But between us and the beach lay a narrow tidal channel, swollen with the rising tide. Water. Deep, moving water. My old monster, back for the final battle. "Pete," Jerry said gently from my head, "remember the staircase. You've climbed so many steps today." I stared at the channel. My legs shook. But then I thought of Roman's hand, Mariya's voice, Lenny's laugh—and I understood that courage isn't the absence of fear. It's fear that has decided to walk anyway. "Hold tight, Jerry," I whispered, and I stepped into the water. **Chapter 7: The Brave Swim** The cold gripped me like icy fingers, and for one terrible moment the current pulled, and my old terror screamed, *You'll be swept away!* "Kick, Pete, kick!" Jerry shouted, clinging to my ear. "Steady strokes, pup!" Tom called, paddling beside me with surprising grace for a cat. "You've got this! Eyes on the far shore!" I kicked. I paddled. The water that had once been a monster became simply... water. Cool, buoyant, holding me up rather than pulling me down. Halfway across, I almost laughed. *I'm swimming. I'm actually swimming!* Then I heard it—a voice cutting through the wind like a lighthouse beam. "PETE!" Roman stood on the far bank, and the moment his eyes found me, he was running along the shore, and then—splash!—he was in the water too, arms reaching, and suddenly I was scooped up against his soaking wet chest, and his heartbeat was thumping as fast as mine. "I've got you," he kept saying. "I've got you, buddy. I've got you." "I wasn't scared," I lied, licking his chin. Then, honestly: "Okay, I was terrified. But I swam, Roman! I swam!" Tom and Jerry clambered out behind us, shaking off water, and Roman laughed through the tears in his eyes. "You three gave us the scare of the century. But look at you, Pete. Look what you did." **Chapter 8: Home Is the Bravest Place** Lenny and Mariya came running down the beach, and in moments I was wrapped in a towel, in arms, in love. Mariya held my face and kissed my wet nose. "My brave, brave boy. We were so worried—and so proud." Lenny ruffled my ears. "You know, Pete, they say the sea tests every sailor. Today you passed with flying colors. And a cat. And a mouse." As the sun dipped low, painting the harbor gold and rose, we all sat together on the blanket—family, cat, mouse, and one transformed puggle—watching the lighthouse beam sweep the darkening water. "I used to think being brave meant not being afraid," I said quietly. "But I was afraid all day. Of the water, the dark, being lost. I was afraid of everything." "And yet here you are," Tom purred, curled against my side. "Fear walked with you," Mariya said softly, "but love walked with you too. And love had the stronger legs." "And friends," Jerry squeaked, "are just courage you can borrow until yours grows back." Roman draped his arm around me. "You didn't just find us, Pete. You found yourself." As we drove home under a sky full of stars, I rested my head on Roman's lap and understood the day's true treasure: courage is not a door you open once, but a staircase you climb your whole life—and every step is easier with a hand, a paw, or a tiny mouse to hold. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure *** 2026-10-01T11:27:10.473055400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Great New Hyde Park Adventure ***"🐾 ...