Followers Woof Woof :)

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

*** Pete the Puggle and the Moonlit Whisper of the Appalachians *** 2026-09-30T03:07:04.520681600

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Moonlit Whisper of the Appalachians ***"🐾

**Chapter One: The Road to the Green Cathedral** The morning the family left for the Appalachian Mountain Club, I woke with my tail thumping like a little drum against the rug. I am Pete the Puggle, white as fresh snow, with streaks of playful color around my bright eyes that Mariya says make me look like a puppy who borrowed the sunrise. Lenny loaded the car with backpacks, calling, “Adventure waits for no puggle!” Roman ruffled my ears and whispered, “Stay close, buddy. Mountains are big.” I tried to look brave, but a small cold pebble of worry rolled in my belly. I had heard there would be a lake—deep, shining water—and I did not like water. Not one bit. Mariya knelt beside me and cupped my face. “Pete,” she said softly, “the ordinary is full of magic if you walk slowly enough to notice it.” Her voice smelled like coffee and cinnamon, and it steadied me. Lenny added, “And if the mountain gets grumpy, we’ll tell it a joke until it laughs.” Roman groaned, “Dad, please don’t joke the mountain to death.” We all laughed, and the car hummed beneath us like a contented bee as houses thinned into trees and trees rose into green waves. When we reached the Appalachian Mountain Club lodge, the air changed. It tasted of pine needles, cold stone, and distant rain. Peaks stood around us like ancient giants wearing blue scarves of mist. I pressed my nose to the window and whispered, “It’s beautiful—and a little scary.” Roman heard me. He leaned close and said, “Beautiful and scary can live in the same place, Pete. That’s what makes an adventure real.” A shadow flickered near the trail sign, silver and quick. For an instant I saw a female dog with starlight caught in her fur. She vanished before I could bark. My heart jumped. “Did you see her?” I asked Roman. He scanned the trees. “See who?” But I knew, somehow, that Laika—mysterious traveler of time, lost to space in 1957 and returned to guard brave hearts—had come to watch over us. **Chapter Two: George of the Navy and the Laughing Lake** At the lodge porch we met George, Roman’s friend from the Navy, tall as a door and calm as deep water. He had kind crow’s-feet around his eyes and a whistle hanging from his neck. “So this is the famous Pete,” George said, crouching to my level. “Roman says you’re faster than a rumor and braver than breakfast.” I wagged despite myself. “I am excellent at breakfast,” I admitted, and everyone burst out laughing. George pointed toward the lake below the lodge. It glittered between the firs, green-gold and restless. My paws went cold. The water seemed to breathe, swelling and sighing against the rocks. To me it was not a lake; it was a huge liquid mouth. I backed behind Roman’s legs. Roman knelt and said, “You don’t have to love it today. You only have to stand near it.” Lenny nodded. “Courage is not the absence of trembling, son. It’s trembling with company.” Mariya unpacked a little picnic on a flat stone. “Look,” she said, showing me dragonflies stitching blue thread above the reeds. “Even the lake is sewing light.” I wanted to believe her, but when a wave slapped the shore, I yelped and hid my nose under her sleeve. George did not laugh at me. He said quietly, “In the Navy I learned the water isn’t your enemy or your friend. It’s a powerful stranger. You respect it, learn its moods, and never turn your fear into shame.” Then the silver dog appeared again on the far shore, clear as moonlight poured into fur. “Pete,” she called across the water, though no human heard, “fear is a door, not a wall.” I barked once. Roman looked up. “What is it?” I stared at Laika. She lifted one paw, and the lake seemed to soften, its sharp edges rounding into ripples. “Soon,” she said, “you will swim through more than water.” Then she was gone, leaving only wind moving through the firs like a careful hand combing green hair. **Chapter Three: The Trail of Crumbs and Thunder** After lunch we chose the moderate trail that looped past a waterfall and an old fire tower. Lenny carried the map, Mariya carried the wonder, Roman carried snacks, George carried a rope, and I carried my anxious heart in a chest that suddenly felt too small. The forest closed over us, fragrant and dim. Ferns brushed my belly; stones wore velvet moss; somewhere a woodpecker knocked like a tiny carpenter building a house in the sky. Roman walked beside me. “If you get scared,” he said, “name five things you can smell.” I sniffed. “Pine, mud, mushroom, George’s sandwich, and… mystery.” George grinned. “Mystery smells like wet bark and old lightning.” Mariya smiled. “That’s exactly right.” Lenny pointed at a shelf fungus on a log. “Nature’s pancakes. Do not eat nature’s pancakes.” Roman said, “Dad, that was almost good.” Lenny bowed. “I accept your almost-applause.” Then the trail forked around a fallen oak, and a chipmunk raced across my paws with cheeks stuffed like tiny suitcases. Instinct took the wheel. I darted after it, laughing, “Come back, suitcase cheeks!” Roman shouted, “Pete, wait!” But the forest tilted, the path vanished, and suddenly the voices of my family thinned into threads. I stopped. The chipmunk was gone. The trees were enormous. The light had turned green-black. My fear of being separated rose up like cold water inside my bones. I could not hear Lenny’s whistle or Mariya’s gentle hum. “Roman?” I cried. Only thunder answered, far off but approaching, a giant clearing its throat above the ridges. Then Laika stepped from between two birches, eyes bright as twin moons. “Do not run blind,” she said. “Fear makes the forest larger. Breathe. Listen for love; it has a sound too.” I pressed my paws into the moss and listened. Beneath thunder, beneath my own heartbeat, I heard faint voices calling my name. **Chapter Four: The Dark Cave and the Little Lantern** Laika led me toward the voices, but the storm hurried faster than our paws. Rain began in silver needles. “There,” Laika said, nudging me toward a shallow cave beneath a rock lip. “Shelter. Not forever—just until the sky finishes its temper.” Inside, the dark was thick enough to touch. I have feared many things, but darkness is the slyest; it steals shapes and replaces them with monsters drawn by imagination. I trembled so hard my tags chimed. “I can’t see my family,” I whispered. Laika curled beside me, warm though she looked made of starlight. “Then see with memory,” she said. “Tell me what Lenny’s hand feels like.” I closed my eyes. “Broad. Gentle. Smells like soap and pencil shavings.” “And Mariya?” “Like cinnamon, rain on flowers, and pages turning.” “Roman?” I almost smiled. “Like grass stains, popcorn, and trouble.” The cave became less empty because love filled it. A glow pulsed at the cave mouth—George’s waterproof flashlight sweeping through rain. For a wild second I thought it was a searching eye. Laika stood, hackles shimmering. “Not all lights are kind,” she murmured, “but this one is.” George’s voice boomed, “Pete! Laika? Pete, if you can hear me, bark twice!” I barked twice so loudly the cave threw my voice back like a ball. George crawled in, soaked and smiling. “There you are, sailor.” He wrapped me in a dry bandana from his pack. “Roman is halfway down the ridge calling himself hoarse. We’ll get you to him.” I looked at the black back of the cave, where my fear still crouched. “I was scared of the dark,” I confessed. George nodded. “So am I, sometimes. Dark is just light waiting for us to bring it.” He clicked the flashlight off for one breath, then on. “See? We carried it with us all along.” **Chapter Five: The River Crossing** When the rain softened to mist, George led us toward a footbridge—but the swollen stream had eaten half the planks. Brown water hurried over stones, chuckling in a way I did not trust. Across it, faint but growing nearer, Roman shouted, “Pete! George! Stay there!” My whole body leaned toward his voice, and yet the water between us seemed wider than the world. George tested the current with a branch. “Too strong for a puppy alone,” he said. “We’ll wait for Roman and Lenny to reach the upstream rope point.” But a log slammed into the bank and spun toward a deeper channel. Laika’s eyes flashed. “The water is restless,” she told me. “If fear commands you, you’ll freeze; if courage guides you, you’ll move step by step.” I stared at the stream and felt my old terror bare its teeth. Roman appeared on the opposite bank with Lenny and Mariya behind him. Mariya’s face was pale, but she called, “Pete, we see you! You are not alone!” Lenny cupped his hands. “Remember, brave hearts take small steps!” Roman’s voice cracked only once. “Buddy, look at me, not the water. Eyes on me.” George clipped a short line to my harness and waded in first, steady as a pier. “Pete,” he said over his shoulder, “in the Navy we say panic drowns faster than water. One paw. Then the next.” Laika walked beside me atop the current as if time itself made a path. “I crossed the black sea of space,” she whispered. “You can cross this little ribbon.” I put one white paw into the cold. It bit. I put in another. The water pushed; love pulled harder. Halfway across I slipped, yelping, but Roman lunged to the edge, George anchored the rope, and I found the stone beneath my toes. Step by trembling step, I crossed. **Chapter Six: The Shadow in the Hemlocks** We should have been safe then, but the storm had confused every trail marker. In trying to reunite, our little group—me, George, Laika—took a deer path away from the ridge while Roman, Lenny, and Mariya searched from the other side. The hemlocks grew close, black-green and whispering. A shape moved within them: low, many-legged in my frightened mind, eyes like wet coins. My fur rose. Perhaps it was only a bear distant in the brush, perhaps a fallen branch dragged by wind, but fear named it Enemy. Laika stepped before me, no longer gentle starlight but a blade of bright time. “Stay behind me,” she said. The shape rushed—suddenly a wild boar burst from the ferns, tusks flashing, terrified by thunder and more dangerous for it. George swept me up with one arm. “Easy, easy—don’t run, Pete!” But the boar charged the sound of us. Laika barked, and the air folded. For an instant I saw 1957 around her: metal, stars, a small brave dog alone in the dark above Earth. Then light bloomed—not cruel, but absolute—and the boar vanished into a harmless ripple of mist, carried somewhere far from us. George stared. “I have seen many things,” he said slowly, “but I am going to pretend that was lightning.” Laika’s glow dimmed. “I vaporize only what would harm the innocent,” she said to me. “Power must kneel to mercy.” I shook in George’s arms, ashamed that even after the river I could still be afraid. George set me down and looked into my eyes. “Listen, pup. Courage isn’t a medal you win once. It’s a muscle. Today you used it on water, dark, separation, and danger. Sore tomorrow, stronger forever.” Laika touched noses with me. “Your vulnerability is not a crack, Pete. It is the place where light enters.” From the ridge came Roman’s whistle—three short notes, our signal. I answered with every bit of breath I had. **Chapter Seven: Roman Finds the Lost** Roman came crashing through the wet laurel first, hair plastered to his forehead, eyes wild until they found me. “Pete!” he shouted, and I ran so fast the world blurred into green streaks. We collided in a tangle of arms, paws, mud, and tears. He buried his face in my fur. “I thought I lost you,” he whispered. “I kept hearing you bark and then nothing.” I licked his cheek. “I heard you too. Your voice was my rope.” Lenny and Mariya arrived breathless. Mariya dropped to her knees and held my face as if memorizing it. “My little moon,” she said. “You came back through the storm.” Lenny hugged George and Roman at once, then tried to joke with a shaking voice: “Next time we chase chipmunks, we file a flight plan.” Roman laughed and cried at the same time. “Dad, not now.” Lenny wiped his eyes. “Especially now.” George told them about the cave, the river, and—carefully—a “strange flash” that scared off a boar. Laika sat at the edge of the clearing, visible, I realized, to all of us now. Roman’s mouth opened. “That’s the dog from the trail.” Mariya whispered, “She looks like a star that decided to be kind.” Laika inclined her head. “I was lost once beyond every sky,” she said. “Love found a way to call me home. Now I answer when brave hearts are afraid.” Lenny approached slowly and offered his open palm. Laika sniffed it, then pressed her forehead to his hand. Lenny’s eyes shone. “Thank you for guarding what we love.” We made camp briefly under a tarp while the storm exhaled itself away. Roman kept one arm around me the whole time, as if I were a rope he refused to release. I understood; I had become a rope too, tying him to hope while he searched. **Chapter Eight: The Lake Learns My Name** Before leaving, we returned to the lake at golden evening. The water had calmed into a mirror where mountains admired themselves. Roman looked at me. “No pressure,” he said. “But if you want to try, I’m right here.” My old fear waited at the shore, but it was smaller now, like a beast that had been fed courage and lost its appetite. Mariya said, “The lake is not asking you to conquer it. Only to meet it.” George waded in to his knees. “I’ve got the outside.” Lenny stood on the dock, smiling through worry. “One paw, Pete.” Laika’s reflection shimmered beside mine. “Space was cold,” she said. “This is warm. Begin.” I stepped in. The water licked my legs, cool and alive. I trembled, breathed, named five smells: pine, mud, sunlight on stone, Mariya’s cinnamon, Roman’s grass-stained shirt. Then I pushed off and paddled—awkward, splashing, glorious. Cheers erupted. Roman swam beside me, George guarded the deeper edge, Lenny applauded like I had won a medal, and Mariya laughed with her hands over her mouth. I, Pete the Puggle, swam. Not far. Not fast. But truly. When I climbed out, water streamed from my white fur and I felt reborn, as if fear had been a heavy coat and the lake had taught me to take it off. That night at the lodge, wrapped in a blanket before the fire, we talked. Roman said, “I learned being protective means trusting you to grow.” Mariya said, “Magic is love refusing to hurry.” Lenny said, “A family is a lighthouse that sometimes goes looking for its ship.” George raised his mug. “And courage is wet, muddy, and usually wearing a harness.” Laika, curled in the window’s moonlight, added, “No one is lost while someone keeps calling their name.” I looked at each beloved face and knew my fears had not vanished; they had become doors, and behind every door stood someone I loved. The moral is simple: courage grows when shared, family is a light we carry, and even the smallest heart can cross a wide water. *** The End ***


Use these buttons to read the story aloud:





No comments:

Post a Comment

*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square *** 2026-09-30T03:41:53.255292400

"*** Pete the Puggle and the Lights of Times Square ***"🐾 ...